ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers vs Northwestern- The Matchups

Scangg

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 20, 2016
San Diego
Norwestern brings a lot of experience starting 3 seniors and 2 juniors with Buie and Audige leading the way. They have true size with a 7 foot big but lacks size at the guard positions. Mulcahy will be licking his chops after owning NW last year and coming off a poor Iowa game

G - Buie - 6'2 180. Senior. 14/3/4 35% / 29% 3pt
Need to limit Buie's damage creating off the dribble. Can Rutgers abuse his size on the other end?

G - Berry - 6'3 185. Junior. 10/5/1 35%/30%
One of Berry and Buie needs to guard Paul. Neither has the size

G - Audige 6'4 200. Senior. 16/3/3 39%/36%
Caleb matchup. This should be a rough. game for Audige. Caleb has length and size. to lock him down and force bad shots

F - Beran 6'9 215. Senior. 9/6 36%/32%
Similar size matchup for Mag. This is a game where Mag can make his athleticism felt and take it to Beran attacking the rim and offensive glass

C - Nicholson 7' 255. Junior. 6/6/1 52%
True 5 with size to bang with Cliff. Clear athleticism advantage for Cliff. Hopefully he is healthy enough to take it to him and force some fouls

Caleb has appeared to be in a weird headspace lately. I hope we shut down the 3 as much as we can. If we do, we win. They get hot we lose.

Defense needs to mirror Purdue and the last 10 minutes of Iowa. No exceptions.

Last edited:
There’s no predicting these games.
Either team could win at the buzzer, or either team could blow the other one out in a laugher.
I’m convinced it has nothing to do with effort, commitment or game planning.
I have no doubt our guys will play hard and with a sense of urgency.
To me that’s the difficult part….that’s sports at a high level.

When I read “get your heads out of your ass, we didn’t show up or they’re reading their press clippings”
I say hogwash.

Either team could win at the buzzer, or either team could blow the other one out in a laugher.

When I read “get your heads out of your ass, we didn’t show up or they’re reading their press clippings”
I say hogwash.
Agree with this to some extent. Fans and the media often blame lack of effort, game planning or scheme for why a team loses when there are other variables… one large one being whether shots fall or not in a given game. There is often a small margin between winning and losing a given game.

Agree with this to some extent. Fans and the media often blame lack of effort, game planning or scheme for why a team loses when there are other variables… one large one being whether shots fall or not in a given game.
Confidence and momentum is not unlike the Chicken or the Egg scenario, which comes first, how do you get it and keep it?
One thing is for sure, when you have it you’re reacting not thinking (the zone) everything is easy and free flowing and you have unlimited almost super human energy.
It’s quite extraordinary and loads of fun😊

I expect NW to neutralize Paul and our size advantage at guard by playing some zone like Iowa did. The big question is can Paul and RU adjust much better than they did on Sunday. This game scares me.

We are going to need to attack the zone much more effectively than we did Sunday. We also need to find the weak spots and hit some shots. Everyone needs to be focused on getting defensive rebounds and limit second chance opportunities. Every one needs to do their part on both ends. We don't need any heroes, just play sound fundamental basketball. Not looking for any style points tonight, just be relentless and find a way to get the W.

I say hogwash.
And what exactly was it then?

Caleb has appeared to be in a weird headspace lately. I hope we shut down the 3 as much as we can. If we do, we win. They get hot we lose.

He’s funny because effort is always there but some of his plays are head scratching for a 5th year senior. I thought he actually played well against Iowa.

Caleb had an awful game last year at NW. one of the worst of his career.

hopefully it’s not a match up issue and he can make up for it tonight.

He’s funny because effort is always there but some of his plays are head scratching for a 5th year senior. I thought he actually played well against Iowa.
I just thought he looked frustrated or not all there unsure how to explain it. Not the usual fire, def didnt play awful even with our terribly schemed D that day.

This HAS to be our strategy. Get Paul the ball in the middle of the zone, where he can either drive to the basket or dish to the wing or lob or bounce pass to Cliff.
Paul at the high post, Cam corner to corner, Cliff in the short corner/dunker spot.
Maybe Hyatt in a corner, everyone else, moving the ball from side to side.
It's amazing how much trouble college teams have with zones.

Reactions: RU MAN and G- RUnit
Per a poster on NW site, NW has played zone 0 possessions this season and they do not expect to see it tonight. Also said they switch 1-4 on defense and not worried about Mulcahy
Paul is listed at 6'7" 213 - below from Scangg's post above.
G - Buie - 6'2 180
G - Berry - 6'3 185
G - Audige 6'4 200
F - Beran 6'9 215
Hoping this will be a fun night in Evanston

Reactions: Scangg and DirtyRU
Paul at the high post, Cam corner to corner, Cliff in the short corner/dunker spot.
Maybe Hyatt in a corner, everyone else, moving the ball from side to side.
It's amazing how much trouble college teams have with zones.
We didn’t do that against SHU or Iowa and lost both games.

Reactions: bac2therac
We didn’t do that against SHU or Iowa and lost both games.
I've coached a few different youth teams and I love the first time I tell a guard to go to the high post against a zone. They're like "what? I'm a guard" and I'm like, trust me we'll get you the ball and you make plays.
You want your best decision-maker there, regardless of position, but it's usually a guard. Put a tall guard there? Zone busted.

Will be a war as Northwestern has upped their defense tremendously this year and Audige has always been a really good defensive player. . They run good stuff but think we will be ready for it. They will play us man to man and maybe sprinkle in a possession or 2 of zone . I expect Paul and Cliff to bounce back from their subpar Iowa game and lead the way. Hopefully Cliff is not hurt , because this is a game he can go off for 25 points , 10 rebounds , 5 blocks. Hoping to see it tonight. Nothing is easy in this league.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Per a poster on NW site, NW has played zone 0 possessions this season and they do not expect to see it tonight. Also said they switch 1-4 on defense and not worried about Mulcahy
LOL Paul torched them in Evanston last year and almost single handedly brought us back from a 24 point deficit, and they’re not worried about him?

I mean, WHAT?!?

LOL Paul torched them in Evanston last year and almost single handedly brought us back from a 24 point deficit, and they’re not worried about him?

I mean, WHAT?!?
Yeaaa makes no sense. They have no one who can physically handle Paul. Caleb will also have a large mismatch. Cam his size too.

This is a game we need to really impose our will with our size at the guard positions and make them pay. They will either give up open 3's, easy buckets, or get in foul trouble.

This is an "exploit the matchups" game

Reactions: MiloTalon13

I say hogwash.
95% of time agree

I say hogwash.
What was it then?

He seems to go through this every season. Most kids do, actually.

Intangible Dad-
Why do you bowl a 600 series one day and the next time you bowl you can’t break 150.
Why is your workout a breeze one day and the next time you work out it’s a struggle from start to finish.
Perhaps. They certainly found some D energy late.

ADVERTISEMENT