ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers vs St. John's...

zazoo2002

All Conference
Gold Member
Jan 27, 2002
I saw that St. John's played tonight and was interested to see that both Mathis and Curbelo are playing extremely well. Small sample size, but the same could be said for Cam, Wolf, and Simpson. Would you trade and/or add any of the aforementioned 3 for *improved* Curbelo and Mathis? I guess it's plug and play vs player development...for both programs. Speaking of which, I hope that Pike is able to secure a starter quality 5 from the portal...after losing out on Fall, Kante, Chinyelu, and Dembele(?). The last two are particularly disappointing.

I didn't follow Montez last season. So, I guess a likely reversion to the mean?

Having a nice looking stat sheets against CC doesn’t mean a whole lot. If we are nursing a 4 point half time lead when we play CC our boards will be flipping out.

Corbels finished the game with six points, three boards, and five assists. Plus a steal and two turnovers. Mathis shot a high FG% in two of his three games, but I don't expect a ton of growth in year five. I'll take four years of Simpson and Woolfolk over either.

Spencer is waaaay better for our team than either Curbelo or Mathis would be.

Curbelo lololol
My maybe favorite RU basketball moment from last year … Illinois game, insane atmosphere, we’re blowing them out of the gate, and in the student section everyone decides Curbelo is the target ,. He looked terrible and out of control all game, everyone screaming at him, that during one timeout he was sitting on the bench and he actually turned and started jawing back at the crowd … then, goes in and has a terrible sequence, Underwood pulls him out, and as he’s walking back to his seat throws his Gatorade bottle on the ground and screams … underwood comes over and starts yelling at him and throws him a towel and makes him clean it up … LOL would never want that guy on our team, and really wish we played St. John’s this year

I do NOT want Andre Curbelo at all! Notice the font!

I do wonder how he would do here with Pike and our team chemistry.

As for Mathis we know what he would be like here. Eventually Pike phased him out of the rotation. He wasn't a great chemistry guy. Multiple times he and a current member of the team made faces (outwardly visible) whenever they were replaced by Paul.

I do NOT want Andre Curbelo at all! Notice the font!

I do wonder how he would do here with Pike and our team chemistry.

As for Mathis we know what he would be like here. Eventually Pike phased him out of the rotation. He wasn't a great chemistry guy. Multiple times he and a current member of the team made faces (outwardly visible) whenever they were replaced by Paul.
Caleb?

Curbelo was very good as a freshman. Key piece of a number one seed. Big Ten Sixth man award winner.

Preseason first team all Big Ten and on All American lists. Then the injury. I was at the exhibition game when his head hit the floor. Such an awful thud. He was never the same. It was a severe concussion. For months, every time he exercised, he got a terrible headache and nausea. Then he got covid. Then he rolled his ankle. Felt really bad for him. Illinois still won the Big Ten with a subpar Curbelo. Pretty amazing.

Healthy Curbelo is a good player. He needed a new start and to be closer to home. I wish him well.

Reactions: zazoo2002
Mathis starts out EVERY year shooting well, but he inevitably lapses into his usual poor shooting and out of control self. It happened here, and it happened last year at SJU. He is what he is… a 28% 3-Pt shooter, an electric player in the open floor, and a plus defender.

Hard pass on Curbelo. Kid is way out of control and couldn’t shoot his way out of a paper bag.

Curbelo was very good as a freshman. Key piece of a number one seed. Big Ten Sixth man award winner.

Preseason first team all Big Ten and on All American lists. Then the injury. I was at the exhibition game when his head hit the floor. Such an awful thud. He was never the same. It was a severe concussion. For months, every time he exercised, he got a terrible headache and nausea. Then he got covid. Then he rolled his ankle. Felt really bad for him. Illinois still won the Big Ten with a subpar Curbelo. Pretty amazing.

Healthy Curbelo is a good player. He needed a new start and to be closer to home. I wish him well.
Certainly gives another perspective to his critics

Mathis starts out EVERY year shooting well, but he inevitably lapses into his usual poor shooting and out of control self. It happened here, and it happened last year at SJU. He is what he is… a 28% 3-Pt shooter, an electric player in the open floor, and a plus defender.

Hard pass on Curbelo. Kid is way out of control and couldn’t shoot his way out of a paper bag.
The 40 minutes of hell style that Anderson preaches is perfect for both players.

The 40 minutes of hell style that Anderson preaches is perfect for both players.
And yet, Mathis' stat line last season was virtually identical to his averages under Pike.

Three seasons at RU: 21.2 to 22.9 minutes per game; 7.4 to 8.5 pts per game; 37.6 to 38.3% FG%; 55.6 to 66.1% FT%; 2.8 to 3.5 reb

Last season at SJU: 24.5 minutes; 8.2 pts, 42% FG%, 62.3% FT%, 3.4 rebounds per game. He was basically the same player. He got 0.7 more assists per game than he did at RU, which doesn't amount to much.

Reactions: zazoo2002
Great responses. Montez did have a tendency to be a shoot-first player at times. His plus defense and Minnesota smile meme are probably most memorable for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT