ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers WR Taj Harris is not expected to return during 2022 season: Here’s why

John Leguizamo GIF
Bye Bye Reaction GIF by Jimmy Arca
The Beatles Art GIF by hoppip
virgins meme GIF by Death From Above 1979

Did I miss something? I read the article and didn't see any sort of explanation as to what this "focus on his family" and himself is all about. I mean, I don't need to know. It's just that the title of the article/thread made it sound like we were going to get some more information.

Did I miss something? I read the article and didn't see any sort of explanation as to what this "focus on his family" and himself is all about. I mean, I don't need to know. It's just that the title of the article/thread made it sound like we were going to get some more information.
Yeah the article told us nothing. The here's why is non-existent.

Prior to coming to RU he and his mother were candid about his struggles in handling some situations. Being the father of a toddler, on top of having a full class schedule and a full time job (playing football) is a lot to ask of anyone.

Leave him be.

Maybe you misinterpreted the title. The "Here's why" is why he is unlikely to return (because he is no longer enrolled in classes), not "here's why" he left.

Is the Rutgers student online database something that is public information? How would the SL get the information that he is not in the database anymore? Or did they pay a student to look it up?

Prior to coming to RU he and his mother were candid about his struggles in handling some situations. Being the father of a toddler, on top of having a full class schedule and a full time job (playing football) is a lot to ask of anyone.

Leave him be.
It may not suit us the fans, it may not suit the team, but hopefully he'll do well in his most important full-time job (being a father).

Is the Rutgers student online database something that is public information? How would the SL get the information that he is not in the database anymore? Or did they pay a student to look it up?
Not sure . But i am sure at least 1 current student works there

Reading between the lines, it seems Harris wasn't happy how he was going to be utilized, based on his first game (crazy). If it was a family or health issue that triggered his decision, Schiano would have provided some information that suggested that but instead he talk about how Harris needs to work on himself.

Too bad, was looking forward to seeing what Harris could do.

So he was able to manage that load in the spring and summer but once the games begin he leaves for personal matters.

It was playing time and our poor passing game that made him leave.

1. Spring practice isn’t every day for months.

2. Summer courses aren’t required and a taking full course load would be rare.

3. Something new could have happened in his life.

Oh well...dozens and dozens of players come through the revolving door.
Some fall by the wayside and its part of the day
But there's obviously a conspicuous escalation in the # of athletes suddenly dropping out due to some sort of stress
Youngs today are given the mind set of helpless victims who should just hit the sidelines and wait for rescue of some kind

Dropping out of school is doing the opposite of that. His prospects for being a lble to provide are less now.
This is mostly true, but it doesn't mean he still can't be a good father. Without knowing the specifics of his situation, how can any of us know what's best for his family and him at this point in time? Maybe shouldering the burdens of fatherhood, school, football and who knows what else would push him over the edge to the point where he harms himself and/or someone close to him.

I haven't walked a mile in his shoes, so I'll try to reserve judgement.

Reactions: BLewis1968
You need to read it again.. it basically says it was about playing time vs BC. GS was asked about it and did not give a satisfying answer for young Mr. Harris. So he took his ball and went home. Respect his decision.

Fron his perspective.. he has to be a bit selfish if his dreams of a shot in the NFL to have a chance. NOT playing for Rutgers is not going to get him there. Maybe next year, with a transfer, he gets a situation that he likes better.. I guess I wish him luck. I do not wish him ill.

Now I wonder.. did he have any kind of an NIL deal? And, if so, what happens now? Does he have to repay that money if he already received some?

Reactions: RutgersNo1
No it wasn't.
It's 15 practices in a span of 34 days. I felt like it might possibly have been 20 practices in the 90s, but it was never every single day for months.
What about winter conditioning? That started the day we came back from Christmas break ... and then football didn't end until the Spring game.

What about winter conditioning? That started the day we came back from Christmas break ... and then football didn't end until the Spring game.
I was just including spring practice, which was the initial comment, but not winter conditioning.

Last edited:
He was a high risk, high reward transferthat didn't work out.
Best of luck to him but for some reason I have a feeling that things will not go well for him in the future.
I hope I'm wrong.

In light of the events of the past 12 months I find some of his comments pretty interesting from the ACCN Kickoff event last year.
Things like "never quitting" and "setting an example".

From some podcast last November. If I didn't queue this correctly at about 16:45 he talks about why he left Syracuse and the podcaster lists schools who were offering him. Oddly enough it looks like RU wasn't an early offer.

Leave him be.
He had issues on the field long before he became a father.

I notice players usually decide to focus on (fill in the blanks) after they realize they're not likely to see much playing time.

Funny how that works.

Reactions: newell138
I think the real reason that he left was that he heard that we lost to New Hampshire 18 years ago. A clear indication to him that there was no hope for this program.

I think the real reason that he left was that he heard that we lost to New Hampshire 18 years ago. A clear indication to him that there was no hope for this program.
so we can expect to see Harris transfer to the Wildcats because their HC was a big reason New Hampshire won by 11.

Reactions: colbert17
So he was able to manage that load in the spring and summer but once the games begin he leaves for personal matters.

It was playing time and our poor passing game that made him leave.
that's an awful lot of certainty from someone who doesn't have any actual information.

• Love
Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT