ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers wrestler Andrew Campolattano trying to clear head, cut weight

I really wish this kid much success. He is coming back from a lot. Just turning his life around is a great accomplishment.. Hope he can do it on the mat. Good luck - Camp !

Thnx for posting. I was wondering what the deal was w/ Camp. Article doesn't really give any indication as to if/when he'll be back. Pretty much up to him.

Too big for 197, not big enough for hvy. Tough situation to be in.

Thank you for the article. Really pulling for you Camp. Everyone loves a comeback story. There really is a big weight difference between 197 and 285... maybe there should be a weight class in between?

I can really see how continually trying to cut 20 pounds or so from his natural weight could suck the energy and enthusiasm out of someone.

I liked that ,although Camp didn't wrestle, he showed up to the matches and is cheering on his team and teammates on the bench.

Andrew Campolattano struggling, 'not ready' for reunion with Ohio State

Now a month into the start of his rekindled career at Rutgers, Campolattano is struggling and searching for answers. After winning his first match Jan. 2 against Iowa's Kris Klapprodt, Campolattano has lost his last four to drop to 1-4 on the season.

As the 197-pounder has struggled adjusting to cutting weight again and the rigorous Big Ten schedule, he has sat out the past three dual meets, including Sunday's 23-17 loss to Ohio State, Campolattano's former team.

Andrew Campolattano struggling, 'not ready'

Re: Andrew Campolattano struggling, 'not ready' for reunion with Ohio State

How do wrestlers cut weight? Do they gain weight in between matches or is it pretty steady?

Normally during the week you try to stay within 5 lbs of your weight. Anything over 5 is to much fluctuation. Unless your a big guy. The lighter weights try to stay within 2-4. Then the day before get to the weight

How do they cut 5lbs. in a day?

water weight. you sweat it out.

the first part of the cut is just shedding all the off season fluff and getting your 'walk around' weight down. then, depending on what weight you need or want to get to, you sweat out the pounds you need to before you step on the scale and rehydrate after you make weight

its been many years since i last went through any king of weight cut, and never at a D1 level, so im not up on the latest weight management techniques. but you're still talking about dieting for at least half the year while in college and it sucks pretty bad, without even getting to the actual cutting part of it.

How do you cut water weight? Sit in a sauna?

I can see why I never wrestled. Seems like lots of work for 3 minutes on a mat.

Originally posted by Caliknight:

yeah thats one way. or put on sweats and ride the stationary bike. also not drinking when your thirsty is part of it.

matches are 7 minutes but yeah, the call it a grind for a reason. i looked at the commitment required at the college level and said HEW (had enough wrestling). the attrition level for any college program is pretty high. ive nothing but respect to anyone who makes it 4 or 5 years at the NCAA level.

No doubt. I have a ton of respect for anyone who played D1 sports. Wrestlers seem to have it even more challenging.

Originally posted by Caliknight:

What about guys who run or swim the 50? In some cases an Olympic swimmer puts in a decade worth of work for essentially seconds of his life. THAT seems like a lot ;)

A lot has changed since my days of wrestling in HS/College (90's) now that they monitor your body fat content. I knew guys who cut WAY to much weight and resembled Christian Bale in the Machinist. I was one of those idiots who wore a Hefty garbage bag underneath my sweatshirt the day before just to make weight. I lived on pasta in a ziplock bag (no sauce) and Kodiac. Back in HS a few of us sat in the back of our history dipping and spitting into the teachers potted plants and old National Geographic mags that nobody read. Late in the year she tried organizing and was confused about the sticky pages! Thankfully I gave up the Kodiac and Cope so I didn't end up like Schilling or worse Tony Gwynn.

Bottom line is that you would be surprised how much weight you could lose in a 1 or 2 day period with the right training and will power. With that said I agree with Hasek... the thought of making weight now makes me want to be sick. My son will start wrestling in another 2 years and I won't allow him to cut too much weight.
This post was edited on 2/5 3:46 PM by Jersey Boys

yeah, cutting weight was a b**ch, but loved the winning part of wrestling. it's you vs your opponent with everyone watching, no team sport can match the high of beating a high level wrestler when you are not expected to win.

Is Rutgers wrestler Andrew Campolattano done competing for the season?

Now, Campolattano's status for the rest of the season is up in the air. Rutgers coach Scott Goodale said Saturday Campolattano -- who wrestled this season at 197 pounds -- has added weight and is mostly serving as a practice partner for Scarlet Knights nationally ranked heavyweight Billy Smith.

Andrew Campolattano done competing for the season?

I hope Camp stays bulked up and wrestles 285 in the National Collegiate Open at the end of this season like Ash and Del did last year

Ash & Del wrestled at 285 !! wow, who knew ! lol, sorry Bill, couldn't help myself. And yeah, Camp needs to wrestle . Anywhere. Next year presents a conundrum though if he can't make 197 . Can he beat Smith? Do you sit Smith if so? If Camp not, does he still get Schollie money? Lots of questions

Originally posted by wngarbarini:
I hope Camp stays bulked up and wrestles 285 in the National Collegiate Open at the end of this season like Ash and Del did last year

Smith and Camp will both be seniors next year. I don't see how having them both at heavyweight does us any good. We need a good 197 not a good work out partner for Billy. I think this is developing into a big bust for us.

It may be but we could always do what PSU did this year with Gingrich and Lawson. Every other match. Worked for them. Then let them wrestle off for Big Tens and then that guy goes to NCAAs. Yes we need a 197 pounder and the coaches know that as they discussed at the skull session before the Princeton match.

not at all unreasonable for a 23 year old man of Camp's size to have outgrown 197. the weight is too low for college but that's not going to change between now and next year.

best thing for everyone is that he stays in the room and keep wrestling. besides it being great for Andrew it makes Smith, Hrymack and the other upper weights better too.

ADVERTISEMENT