ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Wrestling Commit Nic Aguilar

FoxRU

Junior
Gold Member
Apr 7, 2012
Aguilar in the finals of the Doc Buchanan tournament against Robert Howard of Bergen Catholic. Should be a good one. Aguilar has looked very good. Smart, tough, quick and keeps good position. Howard looks great too. What are our chances with him?

I think Howard is only a soph, not sure
At 126 Scott weavers freshman son Dylan made it to semis.

Aguilar loses in UTB overtime. Howard got choice (not sure why) and chose down and escaped. Great match. Both guys looked great. I’m really excited for Aguilar. Should grow into a 133/141 with his frame.

Thought Howard was backing most of the match on his feet. Nic was the aggressor. Think Howard could have been hit for stalling before the TB session.

Excited for nic with a redshirt to learn from NS

Reactions: RU4REAL52
Aguilar loses in UTB overtime. Howard got choice (not sure why) and chose down and escaped. Great match. Both guys looked great. I’m really excited for Aguilar. Should grow into a 133/141 with his frame.

Howard scored first so he got choice.

Reactions: IroniaHorse
Howard scored first so he got choice.

Thanks. That’s a shame because the first point was an escape based on the flip of a coin/who got choice in the second period. Seems to me that rule should be amended to give priority to first score from a move from offense ie. takedown, back points, reversal.

Reactions: Ole Cabbagehead
Great match, including the lights going out a minute in, and enough people fired up their cell phone lights that they could have wrestled with just those, but the lights came back on. You guys have a good one coming in.

Thanks. That’s a shame because the first point was an escape based on the flip of a coin/who got choice in the second period. Seems to me that rule should be amended to give priority to first score from a move from offense ie. takedown, back points, reversal.

I'm of the opinion that if six minutes go by with no one scoring an offensive point, they should call it a tie and send both guys home with a participation trophy. I'm half-serious about that.

Aguilar looked pretty good. Size will be the biggest question for him, I think. But he could grow into the weight.

Great match, including the lights going out a minute in, and enough people fired up their cell phone lights that they could have wrestled with just those, but the lights came back on. You guys have a good one coming in.

That was a very cool moment.

Reactions: R U Crazy
I hope he doesn't make another visit here for 2 weeks. I can't imagine someone leaving Cali for the weather we have here lol

Sorry to hear that.

The Cannons are an amazing family. The brothers served our country with distinction starting at West Point, then as paratroopers. Steve, whom I have the pleasure to know, is an American hero who is currently the COO for Arthur Blank’s company which includes the Atlanta Falcons. Steve was the #1 seed in the NJ state tournament until he tore up a knee.

Reactions: brentx35
The Cannons are an amazing family. The brothers served our country with distinction starting at West Point, then as paratroopers. Steve, whom I have the pleasure to know, is an American hero who is currently the COO for Arthur Blank’s company which includes the Atlanta Falcons. Steve was the #1 seed in the NJ state tournament until he tore up a knee.

Mark beat me in the distric finals at 148 in 1980 on his way to the state title. Practiced with him the entire week leading up to regionals. He was a good guy, sorry to hear he passed. Was Steve the older brother who wrestled 170 or the younger brother who wrestled lower weight (i.e 115)?

Last edited:
Mark beat me in the distric finals at 148 in 1980 on his way to the state title. Practiced with him the entire week leading up to regionals. He was a good guy, sorry to hear he passed. Was Steve the older brother who wrestled 170 or the younger brother who wrestled lower weight (i.e 115)?

I’m not sure. I met Steve a few years ago. There were three or four brothers and Mark and Steve were close in age. I thought they were close to the same weight but I graduated HS in 89 so I’m less familiar with wrestling stats before the mid eighties. What HS did you attend?

I’m not sure. I met Steve a few years ago. There were three or four brothers and Mark and Steve were close in age. I thought they were close to the same weight but I graduated HS in 89 so I’m less familiar with wrestling stats before the mid eighties. What HS did you attend?

I attended Waldwick graduated in 1980. He had an older brother that wrestled 170 that I believe graduated in 1978 and a youndger brother was a sophmore that wrestled 115 in 1980.

I attended Waldwick graduated in 1980. He had an older brother that wrestled 170 that I believe graduated in 1978 and a youndger brother was a sophmore that wrestled 115 in 1980.

I’ll ask him the next time I speak with him. I used to train with a great kid from Waldwick, Hamid Chalileh. He won states. We went to camp together. Really funny kid and a hard worker.

I’ll ask him the next time I speak with him. I used to train with a great kid from Waldwick, Hamid Chalileh. He won states. We went to camp together. Really funny kid and a hard worker.

I remember when Hamid won states at 101.

ADVERTISEMENT