ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Wrestling Head Coach Scott Goodale PSA

Have lots of time to get the next 300. Rutgers ticket office is at 866-445-4678 and is open Monday-Friday 9:00-5:00.

Have lots of time to get the next 300. Rutgers ticket office is at 866-445-4678 and is open Monday-Friday 9:00-5:00.

You are correct that there is still time to do it. Otoh, the big bump has already occurred and 2000 is almost a 20% increase over where the number is at now. It won't be easy. I wish Rutgers luck. I like to see wrestling attendance numbers increase for any number of reasons - primarily because it helps the sport. But if Rutgers doesn't meet the goal, it's not a good look.

You are correct that there is still time to do it. Otoh, the big bump has already occurred and 2000 is almost a 20% increase over where the number is at now. It won't be easy. I wish Rutgers luck. I like to see wrestling attendance numbers increase for any number of reasons - primarily because it helps the sport. But if Rutgers doesn't meet the goal, it's not a good look.

Rutgers wrestling is already 4th in the Big 10, and 5th in the nation in the attendance. Could move up a notch this year.

You seem to be going to great lengths to get banned from here. The DB on pen st site has a much faster trigger.

Spanky, can you hear me? Lol

http://news.theopenmat.com/college-...-wrestling-dual-attendance-15-year-high/62725

flat,800x800,070,f.u7.jpg

Falling short of a meager goal of 2000? Not so good.
The fact that you hangout on the Rutgers boards so often shows how much your scared about the future of penn state wrestling. Rutgers is on the rise up and penn state just pissed off the NJ wrestling fan base. Your woried about the future brother.

The fact that you hangout on the Rutgers boards so often shows how much your scared about the future of penn state wrestling. Rutgers is on the rise up and penn state just pissed off the NJ wrestling fan base. Your woried about the future brother.
What does the NJ fan base being pissed off have to do with being worried about the future of Penn State wrestling?

Reactions: IroniaHorse
What does the NJ fan base being pissed off have to do with being worried about the future of Penn State wrestling?
NJ is one the top wrestling states in the country and your coach just showed his true colors. Good luck getting top NJ talent in the future.

Matter is a RU Hater.. No doubt RU has 2,000+season tickets in a couple months before season starts.
When Goodale started they averaged about 150 fans. And btw it was free to attend every match.

Last edited:
NJ is one the top wrestling states in the country and your coach just showed his true colors. Good luck getting top NJ talent in the future.
You might wanna get Surianos hs coach on the same page because according to him, Cael is a great man and would love to send any of his wrestlers to PSU.

Reactions: IroniaHorse
Since it came straight from his mouth I guess I will brother. I have no reason to believe he is lying...
Lol I remember a penn state fan declaring news “straight from the mouth” that there was a 0% chance Suriano was going to Rutgers. Do yourself a favor and hangout on your own board, we don’t want penn state trolls here.

Lol I remember a penn state fan declaring news “straight from the mouth” that there was a 0% chance Suriano was going to Rutgers. Do yourself a favor and hangout on your own board, we don’t want penn state trolls here.
You're an idiot. Quit embarrassing your fellow fans... most of them are good peeps.

Look around, the interview is easy enough to find and quit spouting off about things you think know but really don't. It's people like you that give Rutgers fans a bad rap.

You're an idiot. Quit embarrassing your fellow fans... most of them are good peeps.

Look around, the interview is easy enough to find and quit spouting off about things you think know but really don't. It's people like you that give Rutgers fans a bad rap.
Your funny. Bye.

Reactions: johnstownsteel
So, because NJ wrestling fans are pissed off at Cael Sanderson, top NJ recruits aren't going to choose to wrestle for the best wrestling program in the country? Okay.

You did make a true statement. NJ is ONE OF the top wrestling states. So, last year, of the 80 All-Americans, 5 were from NJ. If no one from NJ comes to PA, that leaves 75/80, or 93.75% Cael can choose from, which he does. Of PSU's 6 All-Americans (5 National Champions), they were from PA, PA, PA, TX, MN and CA. Plus, I'm pretty sure that the last National Champion from NJ was Frank Molinaro.

PSU's class of 2018 recruits include #3 Teasdale (PA), #4 Beard (PA), #5 Wittlake (OR), #7 Bravo-Young (AZ), #11 Nevills (CA), #13 Lee (IN). #15 Griffith is the first kid from NJ on the list, and he's going to Stanford. Glory at #23 is undecided, but doesn't have RU on his short list. #32 Merola going to Cornell. And, finally, #36 Robinson is going to Rutgers.

If NJ was the top, not just "one of" the top states and the top NJ kids were only going to RU, and I really thought NJ kids would not attend PSU because it's fans are mad at Cael, then there might be cause for concern, but I don't believe any of that is true. It would be pretty short-sighted on a top wrester's part.

Have you seen PSU's recruiting? RU isn't anywhere near them. The Suriano loss may hurt, but they'll add multiple AAs and likely champs into their lineup every year. And NJ will still send kids there without a care in the world. It's up to RU to push many of those kids to stay home. Things are trending positively, but it's still an uphill climb. No need to trash talk at this point.

Reactions: RUpop and Leonard23
Have you seen PSU's recruiting? RU isn't anywhere near them. The Suriano loss may hurt, but they'll add multiple AAs and likely champs into their lineup every year. And NJ will still send kids there without a care in the world. It's up to RU to push many of those kids to stay home. Things are trending positively, but it's still an uphill climb. No need to trash talk at this point.
Your stating the obvious. Penn state is a top program, but the way they handled the Suriano situation is a big black eye for them and of course no high school coach is going to say that publicly.

What is frustrating me and many others on this board is the fact that penn state trolls are dominating the wrestling boards since the Suriano situation and they are making them unreadable, and you mods are doing nothing to stop it. If you don’t start handing the situation that’s fine, I’ll just cancel my subscription. I come to these boards to talk to fellow Rutgers fans, not Penn state fanatics. @John Otterstedt

We've banned multiple posters over the past few days. What aren't we doing?
What underdog is trying to say is that he wants to be able to say silly,ridiculous stuff, like, "Your (sic) worried about the future" of Penn State wrestling, without being called out for it by more knowledgeable wrestling fans. Fans that actually spend time listening to what the coach of Bergen Catholic has to say. Fans that don't live in some dream world where NJ wrestling controls Cael Sanderson's future success. Fans that actually use information and data to refute comments like underdog's.

It makes guys like underdog feel better about themselves when they can spout nonsense in a bubble and have other guys click "like" and grunt their approval, regardless of reality.

What underdog is trying to say is that he wants to be able to say silly,ridiculous stuff, like, "Your (sic) worried about the future" of Penn State wrestling, without being called out for it by more knowledgeable wrestling fans. Fans that actually spend time listening to what the coach of Bergen Catholic has to say. Fans that don't live in some dream world where NJ wrestling controls Cael Sanderson's future success. Fans that actually use information and data to refute comments like underdog's.

It makes guys like underdog feel better about themselves when they can spout nonsense in a bubble and have other guys click "like" and grunt their approval, regardless of reality.

Meh. I have no problem with facts being refuted, but you guys consistently choose not to take the high road. IN every thread, you make sure to let everyone know exactly where you think we stand, and where PSU stands. Ad nauseum. Its unneeded. You are fans of the best team in the country. You are on our board. Stop with the arrogance and just talk wrestling. We don't need your assessment of our program. We don't need Matter being a douche about our attendance, which anyone with any perspective would agree is pretty damn good.

When I am on another schools board I will keep it strictly factual, and respectful. Frankly, I don't even understand why you guys are here. Its almost like you guys think you are recruiting for PSU.

Meh. I have no problem with facts being refuted, but you guys consistently choose not to take the high road. IN every thread, you make sure to let everyone know exactly where you think we stand, and where PSU stands. Ad nauseum. Its unneeded. You are fans of the best team in the country. You are on our board. Stop with the arrogance and just talk wrestling. We don't need your assessment of our program. We don't need Matter being a douche about our attendance, which anyone with any perspective would agree is pretty damn good.

When I am on another schools board I will keep it strictly factual, and respectful. Frankly, I don't even understand why you guys are here. Its almost like you guys think you are recruiting for PSU.
If you'll review my messages in this thread, you'll notice that I didn't get involved until Underdog threw out his "Your (sic) scared" statement. I responded with a simple question. He doubled down, and I presented factual information, as did johnstownsteel, who suggested listening to the Dave Bell podcast, which is actually good wrestling content.

Also, if you go back and review some of my other recent posts, I think you'll see I'm trying to maintain good, factual content, even if I am a smart-ass from time to time. What doesn't happen, however, is some of the better/more knowledgeable RU posters calling out someone like Underdog, when he says stuff like this. Kudos to Phila for doing that this time.

Why are we here? Well, the initial reason is obvious. One of our good wrestlers left us and came to RU, which was obviously going to generate some discussion. Why do I stay? Because a) you have some good fans who actually want to talk wrestling, b) you have some bad fans that need some facts, and c) your program is improving. The closer you get to the big time, the more attention you're going to get. Go check out Hawkeye Report or BWI. Plenty of cross-posting there. And, despite what Abro says, the mods on BWI are not trigger happy. He gets booted because he goes anywhere he can and throws out Sandusky stuff, including HR, which I really don't get.

If you'll review my messages in this thread, you'll notice that I didn't get involved until Underdog threw out his "Your (sic) scared" statement. I responded with a simple question. He doubled down, and I presented factual information, as did johnstownsteel, who suggested listening to the Dave Bell podcast, which is actually good wrestling content.

Also, if you go back and review some of my other recent posts, I think you'll see I'm trying to maintain good, factual content, even if I am a smart-ass from time to time. What doesn't happen, however, is some of the better/more knowledgeable RU posters calling out someone like Underdog, when he says stuff like this. Kudos to Phila for doing that this time.

Why are we here? Well, the initial reason is obvious. One of our good wrestlers left us and came to RU, which was obviously going to generate some discussion. Why do I stay? Because a) you have some good fans who actually want to talk wrestling, b) you have some bad fans that need some facts, and c) your program is improving. The closer you get to the big time, the more attention you're going to get. Go check out Hawkeye Report or BWI. Plenty of cross-posting there. And, despite what Abro says, the mods on BWI are not trigger happy. He gets booted because he goes anywhere he can and throws out Sandusky stuff, including HR, which I really don't get.

I have no problem with any of you guys staying if you want to respectfully talk about the sport, and I am referring more to the body of work of the PSU posters than I am you are anyone else in specific. All I am saying is that sometimes you have to take the high road if you want to remain welcome. When a Rutgers fan enthusiastically claims us to be a "top ten" program, a bunch of PSU posters explaining why that is not the case (even if it is factual) is not going to win anyone over. The claim is not outlandish, perhaps a bit enthusiastic, but it's the preseason and we are fans. When you are at someone else's house for dinner, pick and choose your arguments.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
so a good NJ wrestler has a chance to go to PSU(best team in Country,for yrs),but he's going to turn it down because Nick Suriano transferred to RU and Cael didn't like it? You're dreaming...

Last edited:
Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
I don't think the Cael/Suriano issue will affect a top NJ kid from going to Penn State if he wants to go there and likes it there. People have short memories. Look at the Paterno/Sandusky issue and how that really did not hurt PSU's football recruiting. We have to continue to do a better job convincing kids, especially the NJ kids to stay home and go to RU. Just my opinion and with no help from the RU coaches!

I don't think the Cael/Suriano issue will affect a top NJ kid from going to Penn State if he wants to go there and likes it there. People have short memories. Look at the Paterno/Sandusky issue and how that really did not hurt PSU's football recruiting. We have to continue to do a better job convincing kids, especially the NJ kids to stay home and go to RU. Just my opinion and with no help from the RU coaches!
Thats a good point. I agree. As fundraising efforts increase and with the construction of the new practice facility, I'm sure we will get there. We all just need to do our part in helping to build the top program we know we can become.

Your stating the obvious. Penn state is a top program, but the way they handled the Suriano situation is a big black eye for them and of course no high school coach is going to say that publicly.

What is frustrating me and many others on this board is the fact that penn state trolls are dominating the wrestling boards since the Suriano situation and they are making them unreadable, and you mods are doing nothing to stop it. If you don’t start handing the situation that’s fine, I’ll just cancel my subscription. I come to these boards to talk to fellow Rutgers fans, not Penn state fanatics. @John Otterstedt
Just put posters you don't want to listen to on ignore.

Thats a good point. I agree. As fundraising efforts increase and with the construction of the new practice facility, I'm sure we will get there. We all just need to do our part in helping to build the top program we know we can become.
Just to clarify, which part of wngarbarini's message do you agree with? The part that contradicts your earlier messages in this thread, or the other part, or both? :smiley:

Reactions: ScarletGrapfan
ADVERTISEMENT