ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers wrestling ranks No. 4 in NCAA wrestling attendance for 2019-20 season

A couple more of the seasons we just experienced and that # will certainly decline.

A couple more of the seasons we just experienced and that # will certainly decline.

Bah humbug. If you are a Rutgers wrestling fan, you come out and support the team. Plain and simple. Better days are ahead with this ultra young team.
.....let me amend my initial response and add this year was not that bad, all things considered.

Last edited:
Sure, because nobody in NJ will want to see AA runs from guys like Sammy, Janzer, Aguilar and Vulakha in a few years.
This season was a complete rebuild with a ton of true freshman and upperclassmen who are good soldiers but weren't exactly ones who panned out to their potential, in addition to losing wrestlers to injury. Even with all that, RU turned in a winning season and 4-5 in the B1G. Not to mention outside of Cornell, there were no name teams that excited fans to come to the RAC. RUforLife has no idea what he's talking about.

Either way, NJ wrestling fans get to see top notch wrestlers from the B1G multiple times a year. There is something for many fans watching the National Champ and AA level competition beyond our guys.

Reactions: ruready07
Sure, because nobody in NJ will want to see AA runs from guys like Sammy, Janzer, Aguilar and Vulakha in a few years.
Wrestling had a nice run when football fell apart, now that Greg is back expect the level of interest in football to increase tenfold, niche sports such a wrestling will find it much tougher to attract a larger fan base. Except maybe for marquee meets against the likes of Iowa and PSU, look for wrestling attendance to fall back to the levels of the previous decade.

Wrestling had a nice run when football fell apart, now that Greg is back expect the level of interest in football to increase tenfold, niche sports such a wrestling will find it much tougher to attract a larger fan base. Except maybe for marquee meets against the likes of Iowa and PSU, look for wrestling attendance to fall back to the levels of the previous decade.
Yes because schools like Ohio State and Penn State have difficulty bringing in fans to two top level programs.

If anything a good football team only generates more buzz for the other sports, particularly if they’re during different seasons. Maybe a good football team drops the attendance at soccer games but I have no idea how a (potentially) good football team (in the future) hurts the fan base of a team that wrestles mostly after football season ends.

Reactions: TRU2RU and koleszar
Wrestling had a nice run when football fell apart, now that Greg is back expect the level of interest in football to increase tenfold, niche sports such a wrestling will find it much tougher to attract a larger fan base.

giphy.gif

The seasons barely cross over. Your premise is moronic. How the hell did you come to such a conclusion? My God man, do some research before you post, NJ wrestling has a large rabid fan base. That's not going to disappear because football becomes competitive.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

The seasons barely cross over. Your premise is moronic. How the hell did you come to such a conclusion? My God man, do some research before you post, NJ wrestling has a large rabid fan base. That's not going to disappear because football becomes competitive.
My God man do some research, NJ has had a rabid HS wrestling fan base for the better part of 80 years, but until just recently Rutgers wrestling routinely would struggle to draw 500 fans to its meets. It has only been the last 5 or so years that we have seen Rutgers wrestling develop a broad fan base. That time happens to correlate with Rutgers football taking a nose dive, once football regains its footing, mark my words, wrestling will be back to crowds of 1,500 except for the marquee meets. Rutgers football and basketball ball fans were starved for a winning program, so they gravitated towards a niche Olympic sport that was having some success. Has nothing to do with the popularity of NJ HS wrestling, we are talking Rutgers wrestling.

Yes because schools like Ohio State and Penn State have difficulty bringing in fans to two top level programs.

If anything a good football team only generates more buzz for the other sports, particularly if they’re during different seasons. Maybe a good football team drops the attendance at soccer games but I have no idea how a (potentially) good football team (in the future) hurts the fan base of a team that wrestles mostly after football season ends.
We are not OSU or PSU, we are Rutgers, accept that fact and life will be so much less stressful for you.

My God man do some research, NJ has had a rabid HS wrestling fan base for the better part of 80 years, but until just recently Rutgers wrestling routinely would struggle to draw 500 fans to its meets. It has only been the last 5 or so years that we have seen Rutgers wrestling develop a broad fan base. That time happens to correlate with Rutgers football taking a nose dive, once football regains its footing, mark my words, wrestling will be back to crowds of 1,500 except for the marquee meets. Rutgers football and basketball ball fans were starved for a winning program, so they gravitated towards a niche Olympic sport that was having some success. Has nothing to do with the popularity of NJ HS wrestling, we are talking Rutgers wrestling.

Rutgers football was an absolute joke of a program in the 90s, where was the wrestling fan base then?

Rutgers wrestling attendance has steadily climbed since Goodale built the program into something competitive and the biggest spike correlates with Ashnault being here. In other words, fans come if the product is good. Not if other products are bad. If Rutgers wrestling stays respectable, fans will come regardless of whether the football team is good or bad. Should be common sense.

We are not OSU or PSU, we are Rutgers, accept that fact and life will be so much less stressful for you.
I’m not the one complaining about the possibility of attendance rates dropping.

Reactions: koleszar
Hey genius and what conference did we wrestle in before the B1G those 6yrs. ago? Think the competition level and our competitive level against that competition had anything to do with it? You're talking about a program that wasn't even fully funded till 3 yrs. ago. Season attendance has grown as wrestling got more competitive and then wrestled tougher competition. Once again your correlation between football/basketball and wrestling is moronic. Your ignorance on the matter is truly outstanding, but keep going it's entertaining.

Reactions: TRU2RU

wait... is it because we had a “bad season” or because schiano is back? Missed that point in your original post. Guess since we are referencing football we are allowed to move the goalposts.

DO NOT FEED THIS TROLL. I AM DUMBER FOR READING AND REPLYING TO THIS POST!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT