ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Wrestling vs. Iowa

Abro1975

Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2009
Potential matchups v Iowa Wrestling

I'm going to use The Wrestling Report site as their rankings were updated Dec 23 and they go 30 deep in each weight class.

125:
rank 29) Sean McCabe-Rutgers-So vs 4) Thomas Gilman-Iowa-So

133:
rank 23) Scott Delvecchio-Rutgers-So vs 6) Cory Clark-Iowa-So

141 :
rank 6) Anthony Ashnault-Rutgers-Fr vs 7) Josh Dziewa-Iowa-Sr Match of the Night !

149:
rank 22) Ken Theobold-Rutgers-Jr vs 8) Brandon Sorenson-Iowa-Fr

157:
rank 11) Anthony Perrotti-Rutgers-So vs 23) Mike Kelly-Iowa-Sr

165:
Either Unranked Nick Gravina or unranked Ethan Orr vs 9) Nick Moore-Iowa-Sr

174:
rank 18) Phil Bakuckas-Rutgers-So vs 3) Mike Evans-Iowa-Sr

184:
Either unranked Hayden Hyrmack or unranked Anthony Pafumi vs 8) Sam Brooks-Iowa-So

197:
Unranked Andrew Campolattano vs ???? as Nate Burak-Iowa (out of line-up)

Heavyweight :
rank 11) Billy Smith-Rutgers-Jr vs 3) Bobby Telford-Iowa-Sr (co best match of the night !)

This post was edited on 12/29 9:44 PM by Abro1975

Re: Potential matchups v Iowa Wrestling

will this match be on TV?

awesome! thanks, Abro1975!

I think there will be a lot of competitive individual matches, but team score will be lopsided. RU is better than some "Big10" fans think. This is a young team that wrestles hard.

I think the final score will be 26-6.

Originally posted by Abro1975:
I'm going to use The Wrestling Report site as their rankings were updated Dec 23 and they go 30 deep in each weight class.

125:
rank 29) Sean McCabe-Rutgers-So vs 4) Thomas Gilman-Iowa-So

133:
rank 23) Scott Delvecchio-Rutgers-So vs 6) Cory Clark-Iowa-So

141 :
rank 6) Anthony Ashnault-Rutgers-Fr vs 7) Josh Dziewa-Iowa-Sr Match of the Night !

149:
rank 22) Ken Theobold-Rutgers-Jr vs 8) Brandon Sorenson-Iowa-Fr

157:
rank 11) Anthony Perrotti-Rutgers-So vs 23) Mike Kelly-Iowa-Sr

165:
Either Unranked Nick Gravina or unranked Ethan Orr vs 9) Nick Moore-Iowa-Sr

174:
rank 18) Phil Bakuckas-Rutgers-So vs 3) Mike Evans-Iowa-Sr

184:
Either unranked Hayden Hyrmack or unranked Anthony Pafumi vs 8) Sam Brooks-Iowa-So

197:
Unranked Andrew Campolattano vs ???? as Nate Burak-Iowa (out of line-up)

Heavyweight :
rank 11) Billy Smith-Rutgers-Jr vs 3) Bobby Telford-Iowa-Sr (co best match of the night !)

This post was edited on 12/29 9:44 PM by Abro1975

You can get a good look at the #1 Hawkeyes today at the Midlands. Free streaming from Big 10 digital. Iowa has 10 in the semi-finals and shows their amazing team balance. Only weight that didn't make semi was 141lbs Dzeiwa who lost to former RU wrestler now at Illinois Rodrigues

Midlands Semifinal Matchups:

Thomas Gilman-Iowa v. Stevan Micic-Northwestern
Josh Rodriguez-NDSU v. Joey Dance-VT

AJ Schopp-Edinboro v. Zane Richards
Cory Clark-Iowa v. Jarrod Garnett-LVAC

Jason Tsirtsis-Northwestern v. Brody Grothus-Iowa
Brandon Sorensen-Iowa
v. Dave Habat-Edinboro

Isaiah Martinez-Illinois v. Mike Kelly-Iowa
Justin Staudenmeyer-Brown v. Cody Pack-SDSU

Taylor Walsh-Indiana v. Jackson Morse-Illinois
Pierce Harger-Northwestern v. Nick Moore-Iowa

Mike Evans-Iowa v. Brock Gutches-Southern Oregon
Johnny Sebastian-Northwestern v. Zac Brunson-Illinois

Lorenzo Thomas-Penn v. Hayden Zilmer-NDSU
Sammy Brooks-Iowa v. Jack Dechow-ODU

Nathan Burak-Iowa v. James Fox-Harvard
Timmy McCall-Wisconsin v. Jeff Koepke-Illinois

Mike McMullan-Northwestern v. Ty Walz-VT
Connor Medbery-Wisconsin v. Bobby Telford-Iowa

Any idea why we don't send our whole team to Midlands? Are we just trying to make sure that they're healthy for the upcoming B1G schedule?

Originally posted by PhilaPhans:
Any idea why we don't send our whole team to Midlands? Are we just trying to make sure that they're healthy for the upcoming B1G schedule?
No way we should have sent the starters to the Midlands. Cant have the kids go into that type of Tournament grind on a Monday and Tuesday, come back on Wed and wrestle Iowa on Friday.

I am sure Iowa was not happy when the Big schedule came out and they had to wrestle RU on Fri Jan 2nd. They are so ingrained in the Midlands history that they would never miss it. But they are not going to be as fresh as they want when they come to RU on Friday

I think Iowas Evans (Blair Academy) gave Camp his only HS loss.

I haven't checked the schedules of all the respective teams, but were there a lot of B1G teams that didn't attend either the Midlands or the Southern Scuffle?

Yeah, that's why I asked, since Iowa was wrestling at Midlands, along with many other B1G schools.

Yeah, that's why I asked, since Iowa was wrestling at Midlands, along with many other B1G schools.
Here you go PhilaPhans and Belushijo

Big at Midlands
Iowa
Maryland
Wisconsin
Indiana
Illinois
Northwestern
Purdue

All the above teams first match after the Midlands is Jan 9th(except Iowa who comes to RU Jan 2--and then go to Ohio State on Jan 4th--they are nuts, and I think we may see some Iowa back ups on Jan 2)

Big at the Scuffle
Nebraska
Michigan

Both these teams next match is Jan 9th

Minnesota-in Hawaii and comes back for a match on Jan 9th.

Ohio State-neither tournament and wrestles Iowa on Jan 4

Mich St-neither and wrestles Bucknell on Jan 4th.

Most of them didnt go to vegas either so it kind of levels out. Iowa has said they use Midlands as there wrestloffs for some weight classes. They have 2 guys at 149 184 and 197

Thanks for taking a look.

I believe Penn St. will also be at the scuffle.

Originally posted by ScarletGrapfan:

No way we should have sent the starters to the Midlands. Cant have the kids go into that type of Tournament grind on a Monday and Tuesday, come back on Wed and wrestle Iowa on Friday.

I am sure Iowa was not happy when the Big schedule came out and they had to wrestle RU on Fri Jan 2nd. They are so ingrained in the Midlands history that they would never miss it. But they are not going to be as fresh as they want when they come to RU on Friday
That was THE LEAST of our grievances with the schedule this year! We're more upset about have to wrestle @ PSU, @ Minny, @ OSU, and @ Oklahoma State! Not one single marquis duel at Carver-Hawkeye Arena this year!

Well, we had to play Nebraska, Wisconsin, Ohio State, and Michigan State this year in football, so you won't find any sympathy from this fan base, haha.

I just hope that, with the type of reactionary fan base that we have (for other sports), that people understand if we take our lumps this year against various schools.

I can't wait to see so many top names and schools wrestling us instead of the usual Drexel/Northeastern type dual meet.

Our only chances to win matches are 141, 157 & 197 (& maybe HWT). This is going to be a lopsided team score but I hope our guys wrestle tough & keep the individual match scores close.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

This post was edited on 12/30 10:58 PM by Leonard23

I can see Theobold possibly stealing a win at 149

n/m
This post was edited on 12/31 12:07 AM by RutgersRaRa

Over 4,000 tickets sold for Iowa before the walk ups. Keep the word going. Let's get over 5,000 and show we are serious about wrestling

141 win. 157 will be a dog fight and 197 (if Burak isnt there) 174 i would like to see a close match. Evans is good very excited want everyone to wrestle tough. Should be alot of fun

Anybody have a link to all the Midlands final results?

Also, why wouldn't their 197 be wrestling if he just wrestled Midlands? I must have missed something.

Anybody have a link to all the Midlands final results?

Also, why wouldn't their 197 be wrestling if he just wrestled Midlands? I must have missed something.
Iowa is still deciding whether or not he will be red-shirting. If Burak wrestles I have to consider that a win for Iowa, if he doesn't I give Camp the edge in that match.

I also wonder if maybe Tom Brands puts in a few other back ups since they just wrestled at Midlands and he may want them to be fresh for Ohio State Sunday.

This post was edited on 12/31 3:17 PM by obrats

I just hope our guys go out and wrestle well. Wrestle to your strengths and don't be overly conservative just to keep it close.

Seating tomorrow night?

Is tomorrow night (vs Iowa) general admission? Even for the 100 level seats? First come first serve? If so, I wanna get there early enough to sit downstairs. Will we sell more tix than the entire lower level?
Thanks,
Bill

Re: Seating tomorrow night?

If you go on the online site, it appears all lower level sides are sold. Not sure about behind the far basket where the students sit for basketball . Maybe try stubhub

edit - i looked at Stubhub, and seats in Sec 105 (lower level side) start at $40

http://www.stubhub.com/rutgers-scarlet-knights-wrestling-tickets/iowa-hawkeyes-at-rutgers-scarlet-knights-wrestling-1-2-2015-9070775/
Originally posted by briccnerff:
Is tomorrow night (vs Iowa) general admission? Even for the 100 level seats? First come first serve? If so, I wanna get there early enough to sit downstairs. Will we sell more tix than the entire lower level?
Thanks,
Bill

This post was edited on 1/1 2:32 PM by Abro1975

LINK

Looks like there are singles in 101 now . $20.

Looks like 4,350 tickets sold so far without the walk up. Come on fans and lets get over 5,000.

Iowa dual tonight

Is there any free parking located near the arena for the dual against Iowa tonight? Thanks for any help.

Re: Iowa dual tonight

Originally posted by MARION_HAWK:
Is there any free parking located near the arena for the dual against Iowa tonight? Thanks for any help.
Thanks Tango. I saw that thread and am aware of the yellow and green lots. I am not familiar with the campus so just wondering if any locals know of any free parking near the arena. Thanks for any help.

I heard all u can eat burgers at Old Queens before the match...
3dsmile.r191677.gif

Originally posted by wngarbarini:
Looks like 4,350 tickets sold so far without the walk up. Come on fans and lets get over 5,000.
With walk-up, I think we'll reach 5,000... and I wouldn't be surprised if we get almost 6,000.

ADVERTISEMENT