ADVERTISEMENT

RutgersAl Happy Recap

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
  • You can see why Gleeson and Rutgers parted ways, as Saturday’s offense was greatly simplified. Sam Brown got the ball 28 times and ran for 101 yards. If not for injury, he likely passes 30 carries. Gleeson would never have done this, imo. Overall we ran 50 times and threw 24 times, which probably is the preferred Greg Schiano offensive ratio. Kids did less thinking and more playing and seemed more comfortable on offense.
  • On offense, Gone were the pre-snap motions and shifts, and looking to the sideline during the quarterbacks cadence. This resulted in the offense having very few penalties. By my recollection, the offensive line did not have any false starts, though a receiver had one. We just got to the line and snapped the ball, executed our assignments, and ultimately ran Indiana over.
  • Gameball goes to Jay Butler because ultimately Rutgers superior strength and conditioning won out. Offensive and Defensive Lines started pushing Indiana around, after a slow start. This was a 60 minute chop, very reminiscent of the Boston College win.
  • Offensive MVP goes to Sam Brown. The most fluid running I’ve seen since Ray Rice. Demonstrated terrific vision and power, and did his best work after first contact, powering through defenders. Was very close to breaking a few. Sam Brown is an Alabama caliber back playing for Rutgers, and he is the Rutgers player most likely to receive NIL offers, based on his impact to date. If you can, I would reach out to Knights if the Raritan and tell them you want to support Sam Brown. No doubt, the offense is going to feature a heavy dose of Sam Brown because he is our best offensive player.
  • Defensive MVP goes to Christian Braswell whose pick 6 ultimately proved to be the difference in the game. Indiana thought they can pick on him, likely due to his small and visually diminutive frame. But he responded to the challenge, demonstrating superb technique, which led to 3 pass breakups and the interception
  • Christian Izien has proved himself to be our best, most consistent defender. His preparation, especially film work, shine through. Does an exceptional job of reading his keys and positioning himself so that he has the best opportunity to make a play. The question is no longer whether Izien gets an NFL opportunity. It’s what round is Izien going to be drafted? Greg Schiano safeties like Izien have one foot in the NFL. Best Rutgers defender since Devin McCourty, and would be a perfect fit for the Patriots, who should draft him, as his understudy.
  • #71 Aaron Lewis impacts every play, even though his efforts surprisingly haven’t resulted in a significant number of sacks. He had 2 TFL and 2 quarterback hurries. He hammered the Indiana quarterback a number of times
  • #88 Ifeanyi Maijeh is another player who impacts every play, but whose efforts don’t show up in the stat sheet
  • Sean Ryan had three clutch catches, one for a Touchdown and had 59 yards receiving. He is emerging as our best receiver.
  • Aaron Cruickshank would have had well over 100 yards rushing, if one of his runs wasn’t called back due to a penalty. He ended up with 64 yards rushing.
  • Jude Mcatamneys 49 yard field goal changed the momentum of the game, as it gave Rutgers a huge lift. After he made that, I felt we were going to win
  • Offensive Line had their best performance to date. Center #57 Ireland Brown has emerged as our best offensive lineman, and was especially effective on running downs. He and Direnzo were key to Rutgers converting on third and fourth and short. Mike Ciaffoni played Right Guard and delivered a strong performance, as did tackles Pierce and Tyler. This line demonstrated significant improvement, compared to last year, and should get even better as the year progresses.
  • Vedral played well enough to win, as he made plays, did not turn the ball over, throwing the ball away at various times, rather than trying to force things and risk an interception. Should continue to get better and improve upon his 50% Completion percentage. Biggest opportunity for improvement is the passing game needs to be more productive
  • Jonny continued to make valuable contributions such as clutch catches on third down and key blocks. Even lined up as the fullback in a pro style alignment, which might be a harbinger of things to come. Continues to be our offensive Swiss Army Knife.
  • Thankfully the home big ten game losing streak is over and we can focus on more important things
  • It’s so great to be able to enjoy a beer during the game
  • We’re 4-3, with 5 more winnable games. The minimum level of baseline expectations has been achieved. Get one more win, and we’re in good shape. Get two more and we’re sitting pretty. 3+ wins would be nirvana

• You can see why Gleeson and Rutgers parted ways, as Saturday’s offense was greatly simplified. Sam Brown got the ball 28 times and ran for 101 yards. If not for injury, he likely passes 30 carries. Gleeson would never have done this, imo. Overall we ran 50 times and threw 24 times, which probably is the preferred Greg Schiano offensive ratio. Kids did less thinking and more playing and seemed more comfortable on offense.
  • On offense, Gone were the pre-snap motions and shifts, and looking to the sideline during the quarterbacks cadence. This resulted in the offense having very few penalties. By my recollection, the offensive line did not have any false starts, though a receiver had one. We just got to the line and snapped the ball, executed our assignments, and ultimately ran Indiana over.
  • Gameball goes to Jay Butler because ultimately Rutgers superior strength and conditioning won out. Offensive and Defensive Lines started pushing Indiana around, after a slow start. This was a 60 minute chop, very reminiscent of the Boston College win.
  • Offensive MVP goes to Sam Brown. The most fluid running I’ve seen since Ray Rice. Demonstrated terrific vision and power, and did his best work after first contact, powering through defenders. Was very close to breaking a few. Sam Brown is an Alabama caliber back playing for Rutgers, and he is the Rutgers player most likely to receive NIL offers, based on his impact to date. If you can, I would reach out to Knights if the Raritan and tell them you want to support Sam Brown. No doubt, the offense is going to feature a heavy dose of Sam Brown because he is our best offensive player.
  • Defensive MVP goes to Christian Braswell whose pick 6 ultimately proved to be the difference in the game. Indiana thought they can pick on him, likely due to his small and visually diminutive frame. But he responded to the challenge, demonstrating superb technique, which led to 3 pass breakups and the interception
  • Christian Izien has proved himself to be our best, most consistent defender. His preparation, especially film work, shine through. Does an exceptional job of reading his keys and positioning himself so that he has the best opportunity to make a play. The question is no longer whether Izien gets an NFL opportunity. It’s what round is Izien going to be drafted? Greg Schiano safeties like Izien have one foot in the NFL. Best Rutgers defender since Devin McCourty, and would be a perfect fit for the Patriots, who should draft him, as his understudy.
  • #71 Aaron Lewis impacts every play, even though his efforts surprisingly haven’t resulted in a significant number of sacks. He had 2 TFL and 2 quarterback hurries. He hammered the Indiana quarterback a number of times
  • #88 Ifeanyi Maijeh is another player who impacts every play, but whose efforts don’t show up in the stat sheet
  • Sean Ryan had three clutch catches, one for a Touchdown and had 59 yards receiving. He is emerging as our best receiver.
  • Aaron Cruickshank would have had well over 100 yards rushing, if one of his runs wasn’t called back due to a penalty. He ended up with 64 yards rushing.
  • Jude Mcatamneys 49 yard field goal changed the momentum of the game, as it gave Rutgers a huge lift. After he made that, I felt we were going to win
  • Offensive Line had their best performance to date. Center #57 Ireland Brown has emerged as our best offensive lineman, and was especially effective on running downs. He and Direnzo were key to Rutgers converting on third and fourth and short. Mike Ciaffoni played Right Guard and delivered a strong performance, as did tackles Pierce and Tyler. This line demonstrated significant improvement, compared to last year, and should get even better as the year progresses.
  • Vedral played well enough to win, as he made plays, did not turn the ball over, throwing the ball away at various times, rather than trying to force things and risk an interception. Should continue to get better and improve upon his 50% Completion percentage. Biggest opportunity for improvement is the passing game needs to be more productive
  • Jonny continued to make valuable contributions such as clutch catches on third down and key blocks. Even lined up as the fullback in a pro style alignment, which might be a harbinger of things to come. Continues to be our offensive Swiss Army Knife.
  • Thankfully the home big ten game losing streak is over and we can focus on more important things
  • It’s so great to be able to enjoy a beer during the game
  • We’re 4-3, with 5 more winnable games. The minimum level of baseline expectations has been achieved. Get one more win, and we’re in good shape. Get two more and we’re sitting pretty. 3+ wins would be nirvana
Great summary. On Penalties (not all offense):

BC- 10/76 yds (3 false starts)
Wagner- 6/64
Temple- 9/80 🙄 (4 false starts)
Iowa- 5/37
OSU- 10/61
Nebraska- 9/97 🙄 (1 false start)
Indiana- 7/55 (1 False start)

Reactions: rutgersal
Great analysis. Lots of good stats too. I agree with everything, OL did a noticeably great job giving more time to QB. Vedral was not running for his life all game. Only on maybe 2-3 blitzes but that’s expected. And a big improvement from the past.

Vedral at 50% is actually lower than I would have guessed after the game. Felt like he made some really good throws, hit guys in the chest over the middle and also deep balls to Sean Ryan. Yes he missed TEs over the middle throwing a little high on 2-3 plays, but there were also probably 4 or 5 passes he completed that I made the comment Simon would have thrown 5 feet over the WR and out of bounds. Vedral looks better throwing than he did last year which is great

Great analysis. Lots of good stats too. I agree with everything, OL did a noticeably great job giving more time to QB. Vedral was not running for his life all game. Only on maybe 2-3 blitzes but that’s expected. And a big improvement from the past.

Vedral at 50% is actually lower than I would have guessed after the game. Felt like he made some really good throws, hit guys in the chest over the middle and also deep balls to Sean Ryan. Yes he missed TEs over the middle throwing a little high on 2-3 plays, but there were also probably 4 or 5 passes he completed that I made the comment Simon would have thrown 5 feet over the WR and out of bounds. Vedral looks better throwing than he did last year which is great
Agree except: Vedral just can't seem to consistently hit a receiver in stride. Too many times the receiver has to stop or bend backward to try to make the catch.

Agree except: Vedral just can't seem to consistently hit a receiver in stride. Too many times the receiver has to stop or bend backward to try to make the catch.
I do wonder if his hand has something to do with that. He has never had a great arm but in past years- at least the short ones were fairly accurate.

Reactions: rutgersal
It's wonderful that Sean Ryan, Samuel Brown, and Aron Cruicshank have been formally introduced to the new OC.

ADVERTISEMENT