ADVERTISEMENT

RutgersAl Iowa Recap

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
    • We are in year 3 of a 5 year Build. There just isn’t enough talent to compete with the best of the Big Ten. Year in and Year out, Iowa has shown itself to be one of the Big Tens most consistent programs.

• Calls for the OCs dismissal are premature because there aren’t enough weapons at his disposal.

• Our best OL are being redshirted but will be ready to go next year

• The offensive line did reasonably well, showing improvement in pass protection and allowing our quarterback to throw for 300 yards. I thought Willie Tyler improved a lot from the Temple game. It’s the Big Ten, so the OL is going to be beaten from time to time, unless you’re Ohio State or Michigan with monster lines. Our defense got 3 sacks while Iowas got 2.

• Our WRs are still developing their technique. This is the first time Youngblood is seeing action as a starter and he will get better. On the first interception, he was running stride for stride with Cooper Dejean, and had an equal opportunity for the ball. Dejean outstretches his arms and catches the ball, while Youngblood falls down, and is no longer a factor in the play. On plays like that, if Youngblood can’t make the play, he needs to either break up the interception, or make the tackle. I feel like Taj Harris makes that catch. On Youngbloods fumble, he simply got tattooed by the defender. If Taj Harris catches that ball, he’s not coughing it up. Our WRs have to be able to withstand tough hits. Youngbloods lack of experience and technique showed in these two instances.

• It’s clear to me that there isn’t a receiver better than Taj Harris on the roster, so it’s difficult for me to understand why he wasn’t playing more vs Boston College. If Taj Harris gets 5 balls in the first half at BC, he’s still on the roster. That he only got 1 ball is a joke. That’s the only reason why he isn’t on the roster, imo. Taj felt disrespected, and when he let Schiano know of his displeasure, he wasn’t satisfied with the answer. That’s when I knew he would never play another down for Rutgers. Would you stick around, if people who were worse than you were playing ahead of you?

• This was a developmental game for Evan Simon. He threw for 300 yards, but he has a penchant for throwing into double coverage., sometimes leading to turnovers. He got away with it, completing a long pass to Shameen Jones on the first drive, but generally throwing into double coverage is not a good decision choice. He will watch film this week, and review his throws. We don’t recruit good quarterbacks, we develop them, and it’s going to take time for Simon and Wimsatt to develop into a good quarterbacks. We will just have to learn to live with their mistakes , if Vedral is out for an extended period of time.

• Defense played lights out, and held Iowa to 13 points generated by their offense. Izien, Powell, and Jennings stood out, with Izien getting the Gameball
      from me for his 16 tackles and a terrific sack

• Special teams was solid, save for one long return in the first quarter

• For the second straight game, Longerbeam dropped a pick 6. That’s probably why he’s playing DB lol

• Sam Brown led Rutgers rushers with a 5.7 upcoming average and wore #27, which I was excited to see. Looks like he might be our feature back going forward, as it’s the second straight game where he tied for the most carries, and had the best ypc

• The interior of the defensive line was manhandled at times, but thankfully never completely broke down, which I was afraid of. Iowa outscored us only 10-7 in the 2nd half.

• I liked our aggressiveness in going for it on fourth down. This should help the team develop the confidence to handle similar situations in future games

• The only objective for the Ohio State game is to get out with minimal injuries.

• Lastly, We cut down our penalties significantly to 5 or 6, so that was good to see.

Gleeson!
Get the plays in so our young QB can get us lined up and actually survey the defense.
Let him recognize pre-snap reads and see where the blitz is coming from.
STOP:
Getting the play in with under 8 seconds putting the whole offense in panic mode confusion and our QB directing traffic instead of having his eyes on the defense.
Center can’t make blocking calls and no one is in sync

Gleeson!
Get the plays in so our young QB can get us lined up and actually survey the defense.
STOP:
Getting the play in with under 8 seconds putting the whole offense in panic mode confusion and our QB directing traffic instead of having his eyes on the defense.
I will never understand delay of game penalties and fire drills with the play clock running down in a no huddle offense. What are they practicing?

• We are in year 3 of a 5 year Build. There just isn’t enough talent to compete with the best of the Big Ten. Year in and Year out, Iowa has shown itself to be one of the Big Tens most consistent programs.

• Calls for the OCs dismissal are premature because there aren’t enough weapons at his disposal.

• The offensive line did reasonably well, showing improvement in pass protection and allowing our quarterback to throw for 300 yards. I thought Willie Tyler improved a lot from the Temple game. It’s the Big Ten, so the OL is going to be beaten from time to time, unless you’re Ohio State or Michigan with monster lines. Our defense got 3 sacks while Iowas got 2.

• Our WRs are still developing their technique. This is the first time Youngblood is seeing action as a starter and he will get better. On the first interception, he was running stride for stride with Cooper Dejean, and had an equal opportunity for the ball. Dejean outstretches his arms and catches the ball, while Youngblood falls down, and is no longer a factor in the play. On plays like that, if Youngblood can’t make the play, he needs to either break up the interception, or make the tackle. I feel like Taj Harris makes that catch. On Youngbloods fumble, he simply got tattooed by the defender. If Taj Harris catches that ball, he’s not coughing it up. Our WRs have to be able to withstand tough hits. Youngbloods lack of experience and technique showed in these two instances.

• It’s clear to me that there isn’t a receiver better than Taj Harris on the roster, so it’s difficult for me to understand why he wasn’t playing more vs Boston College. If Taj Harris gets 5 balls in the first half at BC, he’s still on the roster. That he only got 1 ball is a joke. That’s the only reason why he isn’t on the roster, imo. Taj felt disrespected, and when he let Schiano know of his displeasure, he wasn’t satisfied with the answer. That’s when I knew he would never play another down for Rutgers. Would you stick around, if people who were worse than you were playing ahead of you?

• This was a developmental game for Evan Simon. He threw for 300 yards, but he has a penchant for throwing into double coverage., sometimes leading to turnovers. He got away with it, completing a long pass to Shameen Jones on the first drive, but generally throwing into double coverage is not a good decision choice. He will watch film this week, and review his throws. We don’t recruit good quarterbacks, we develop them, and it’s going to take time for Simon and Wimsatt to develop into a good quarterbacks. We will just have to learn to live with their mistakes , if Vedral is out for an extended period of time.

• Defense played lights out, and held Iowa to 13 points generated by their offense. Izien, Powell, and Jennings stood out, with Izien getting the Gameball

• For the second straight game, Longerbeam dropped a pick 6. That’s probably why he’s playing DB lol

• Sam Brown led Rutgers rushers with a 5.7 upcoming average and wore #27, which I was excited to see. Looks like he might be our feature back going forward, as it’s the second straight game where he tied for the most carries, and had the best ypc

• The interior of the defensive line was manhandled at times, but thankfully never completely broke down, which I was afraid of. Iowa outscored us only 10-7 in the 2nd half.

• I liked our aggressiveness in going for it on fourth down. This should help the team develop the confidence to handle similar situations in future games

• The only objective for the Ohio State game is to get out with minimal injuries.

• Lastly, We cut down our penalties significantly to 5 or 6, so that was good to see.
Al, you are right on so many points.

The areas and in order where our talent is not good yet:
1. OL
2. WR
3. QB

RE Youngblood, he caught the ball and put it in his right arm while running towards the left side. In Football you are taught to put the ball in your left arm while running left and right arm when running right so the expectation is that the defender will be coming in from the inside and the ball will be protected. In this case the defender came from the inside and hit Youngblood on this inside arm (right arm) and jarred the ball loose.

Yes, Simon does throw into double coverage a lot. I would have expected him to learn by now, in this 3rd year in the program.

Reactions: rutgersal and Dpgru
I will never understand delay of game penalties and fire drills with the play clock running down in a no huddle offense. What are they practicing?
In the NFL, You will get delay penalties like Brady yesterday.
However, those penalties have nothing to do with the OC getting the play in.
NFL QB’s are pointing at the defense, surveying every coverage and blitz possibility they can see and changing plays.
We are struggling to get lined up without running into each other

Reactions: rutgersal

Al, who are the best OL that are being redshirted this year and how do you know they are the best? HAve you been to practices or have some first hand info?

I hope your statement is true but it seems to be more hope than fact.

The problem with "Greg" getting plays in with no time on the clock started in 09 with Savage as QB. I do not believe it is the OC but GS getting too involved
Greg needs to back off if this is true. Gleeson was successful at Princeton and OSU and I still think he can be successful here if he's given a chance to do his own thing (and with the right players too).

Greg needs to back off if this is true. Gleeson was successful at Princeton and OSU and I still think he can be successful here if he's given a chance to do his own thing (and with the right players too).
I do not know if true but when he no longer had his comfy blanket in Teel and McNulty(I never remember them getting all that many Delays) he tried to change up the offense with a new OC and we all remember Savage never having more than 10 seconds when he finally got to the line and then spent his entire time looking at the sideline pre snap instead of looking at what the defense is doing.

Reactions: Scarlet1984

Very good analysis. Regarding Taj Harris…a normal person gives it more than one game. Schiano wants to win and there is probably more to this. Harris seems like a cancer and I’m glad he’s gone.

Very good analysis. Regarding Taj Harris…a normal person gives it more than one game. Schiano wants to win and there is probably more to this. Harris seems like a cancer and I’m glad he’s gone.
Schiano isn’t the type to play games. He’s not going to let a kid strong arm him.

You don’t want to do what’s necessary, you won’t play. You want to leave after that happens then bye.

I appreciate that about Greg

1. OL
2. WR
3. QB

RE Youngblood, he caught the ball and put it in his right arm while running towards the left side. In Football you are taught to put the ball in your left arm while running left and right arm when running right so the expectation is that the defender will be coming in from the inside and the ball will be protected. In this case the defender came from the inside and hit Youngblood on this inside arm (right arm) and jarred the ball loose.

Yes, Simon does throw into double coverage a lot. I would have expected him to learn by now, in this 3rd year in the program.
I'm beginning to suspect that Simon hasn't been taught to read defenses.

Schiano isn’t the type to play games. He’s not going to let a kid strong arm him.

You don’t want to do what’s necessary, you won’t play. You want to leave after that happens then bye.

I appreciate that about Greg
I am not siding with Harris but nobody knows what was said. The Dallas Cowboys did not get rid of Michael Irvin in the 90's after a similar incident. (There's also a chance that the Cowboys may have even convinced him to stay with the team.)

Reactions: The RUT
I do not know if true but when he no longer had his comfy blanket in Teel and McNulty(I never remember them getting all that many Delays) he tried to change up the offense with a new OC and we all remember Savage never having more than 10 seconds when he finally got to the line and then spent his entire time looking at the sideline pre snap instead of looking at what the defense is doing.
Yup-

I am not siding with Harris but nobody knows what was said. The Dallas Cowboys did not get rid of Michael Irvin in the 90's after a similar incident. (There's also a chance that the Cowboys may have even convinced him to stay with the team.)
You’re absolutely right.

A bit of an assumption on my part. I’d rather call it an educated guess based on everything we know about GS though

Gleeson!
STOP:
I have to admit, I didn't really put two and two together on this. But man, this makes a lot of sense. Fixing this may also result in Simon doing a better job of scanning the field after the snap and stop fixating on his primary target.

We've discussed Harris before, and I don't want to renew that discussion, but Harris's decision to leave the team and the school may be based on family circumstances (he has a toddler) as much as, if not more than, playing time.

1. OL
2. WR
3. QB

You are completely right on that fumble. JY had the ball on the wrong side and the defender nailed the arm holding the ball and knocked it loose.

We've discussed Harris before, and I don't want to renew that discussion, but Harris's decision to leave the team and the school may be based on family circumstances (he has a toddler) as much as, if not more than, playing time.

Yes, Taj has a toddler but he went back and forth with Schiano for about 5 minutes during the first quarter, and they sure weren’t talking about his toddler, imo.

Al, who are the best OL that are being redshirted this year and how do you know they are the best? HAve you been to practices or have some first hand info?

I hope your statement is true but it seems to be more hope than fact.

Jacob Allen, arguably the #1 ‘22 recruit from New Jersey, and Kwabena Asomoah, a mountain of a man.

There is no build anymore in CFB because of the Portal. Coaches don't get 3 to 5 years to build a program today. Fans pay a lot of money to attend games and they don't want to see a program that can't compete.
We didn't need a win against Iowa, but we absolutely needed to be competitive. We did not see that.
We may not win a single game in Big Ten this year. We almost lost to BC and Temple.

We will find out how good our defense is against OSU. After that game, we will find out that we don't have anything except a punter and over $250M in debt.

That picture just looks like coaching. Korsak looks to be adjusting his hair-doo. Only Schiano and Harris know why. He is an elite WR, it was sad hearing he left the team. I guess he will try out for the NFL in April, his body of work is already good enough for evaluation.

There is no build anymore in CFB because of the Portal. Coaches don't get 3 to 5 years to build a program today. Fans pay a lot of money to attend games and they don't want to see a program that can't compete.
We didn't need a win against Iowa, but we absolutely needed to be competitive. We did not see that.
We may not win a single game in Big Ten this year. We almost lost to BC and Temple.

We will find out how good our defense is against OSU. After that game, we will find out that we don't have anything except a punter and over $250M in debt.

Two huge mistakes kept us from being competitive against Iowa. Eliminate those and we are competitive against most of the Big Ten, save Ohio State.

That picture just looks like coaching. Korsak looks to be adjusting his hair-doo. Only Schiano and Harris know why. He is an elite WR, it was sad hearing he left the team. I guess he will try out for the NFL in April, his body of work is already good enough for evaluation.
As I said before, we do not know what was said nor the tone that was used. You may be right, but I may be right as well as far as Korsak is concerned. (Don't know why he would adjust his hair on the sideline in a football game but I am sure people can think of a few.)

In the NFL, You will get delay penalties like Brady yesterday.
However, those penalties have nothing to do with the OC getting the play in.
NFL QB’s are pointing at the defense, surveying every coverage and blitz possibility they can see and changing plays.
We are struggling to get lined up without running into each other
The delays are infuriating. We don't know what play we're running 1st and 10 @ the 20!?! Really!?! Takes 30+ seconds to decide??? JEEZZZZUUUUSS! And even worse, when I bitch abt it folks around me look @ ME like I'M nuts! Do our fans even understand basic football? That's not on the guys on the field. Its the indecision on the sideline That's killing us.

So, what you are saying is....... we suck?

Some good points Al, but if Harris quit because he didn’t get enough throws to him in the first game, then he is a fragile-egoed Diva who has no place on the RU Roster.

There is another thread on this and you guys should read it...
I did read it and, yes, switching arms runs a risk of dropping the ball. But, as I saw that play he was hit right on the arm holding the ball. This was clearly, to me. a case where the ball was in the wrong hand. Now, maybe he has been coached not to switch because of the risk, that I don’t know. I am not saying HE was wrong, just that, on this play, the ball was IMO on the wrong side.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT