ADVERTISEMENT

RutgersAl Michigan Recap

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
-The baton has been passed to Wimsatt. He’s given us reasons to be excited but also reasons to be concerned. Physically, he’s probably the most gifted quarterback we’ve ever had. He can sling it, and can also make plays with his legs. Makes throws effortlessly, and makes it look easy. 6 interceptions in 2 games is too many. Needs to get better reading defenses. On the first interception, he missed the underneath defender. 3rd interception was simply a bad read. 2nd interception he gets a pass on, because his pass bounced off Cruickshank’s hands. We may not win another game, but Wimsatt should be fun to watch.

-Defensive Line played especially well in the first half getting pressure on the quarterback, who did a nice job eluding it at times. Aaron Lewis had a strong game, finishing with 7 tackles. Rene Konga had a nice 3rd down pass battdown

-Linebackers and secondary were particularly active, and I thought Young, Izien, Melton, Longerbeam, Powell, Jennings and Jamier Wright-Collins stood out.

-Offensive Line has come a long way since the first game. I’d say the Center Ireland Brown is the most improved, as he seems to be the most consistent lineman. Don’t remember any penalties from him, which is an improvement over previous games. Willie Tyler and Hollin Pierce have gotten much better in pass protection. Run blocking wasn’t particularly good as Michigans defensive front is one of the best against the run

-Starting right guard struggles at times, and was substituted for, but he did have an especially tough matchup.
Michigan’s defensive front is one of the best in the country, so we had an especially tough time running the ball, which was expected.

-At this point, defense is reasonably good, offensive line is serviceable, there are impact players at quarterback and running back. Get an impact WR, aka WR#1, and an impact tight end, aka TE#1, and we will be good to go. Konopka might be TE#1 someday, but he’s been on the shelf sometime, so for now, I just have to assume that he’s lost for the season. He was undresssed for the Michigan game.
Jonny really wasn’t effective because he was well covered by Michigan’s talented safety

-Michigan coaches made halftime adjustments in their pass defense, which made things more difficult for Wimsatt in the 2nd half.

-Though the talent isn’t where it needs to be, the WRs did show promise. Sean Ryan used his superior size to snare a 50/50 ball as well used his body to shield a defender to get his TD reception.

-Last year, we came out and ran the ball in the 2nd half. This kept the defense fresh, and minimized opportunities for turnovers.

-This year, Michigan’s defenders seemed to be penetrating into the backfield on nearly every running play, stopping running plays in their tracks, before they had an opportunity to get started.

-Beat MSU, and we’ll be in good shape. We’re not that far, from being a successful team, but there is still work to do.

Take this First half Rutgers performance vs Nebraska , 24-0 at the half
vs Iowa 17-7 RU at the half , maybe better

Reactions: rutgersal
-The baton has been passed to Wimsatt. He’s given us reasons to be excited but also reasons to be concerned. Physically, he’s probably the most gifted quarterback we’ve ever had. He can sling it, and can also make plays with his legs. Makes throws effortlessly, and makes it look easy. 6 interceptions in 2 games is too many. Needs to get better reading defenses. On the first interception, he missed the underneath defender. 3rd interception was simply a bad read. 2nd interception he gets a pass on, because his pass bounced off Cruickshank’s hands. We may not win another game, but Wimsatt should be fun to watch.

-Defensive Line played especially well in the first half getting pressure on the quarterback, who did a nice job eluding it at times. Aaron Lewis had a strong game, finishing with 7 tackles. Rene Konga had a nice 3rd down pass battdown

-Linebackers and secondary were particularly active, and I thought Young, Izien, Melton, Longerbeam, Powell, Jennings and Jamier Wright-Collins stood out.

-Offensive Line has come a long way since the first game. I’d say the Center Ireland Brown is the most improved, as he seems to be the most consistent lineman. Don’t remember any penalties from him, which is an improvement over previous games. Willie Tyler and Hollin Pierce have gotten much better in pass protection. Run blocking wasn’t particularly good as Michigans defensive front is one of the best against the run

-Starting right guard struggles at times, and was substituted for, but he did have an especially tough matchup.
Michigan’s defensive front is one of the best in the country, so we had an especially tough time running the ball, which was expected.

-At this point, defense is reasonably good, offensive line is serviceable, there are impact players at quarterback and running back. Get an impact WR, aka WR#1, and an impact tight end, aka TE#1, and we will be good to go. Konopka might be TE#1 someday, but he’s been on the shelf sometime, so for now, I just have to assume that he’s lost for the season. He was undresssed for the Michigan game.
Jonny really wasn’t effective because he was well covered by Michigan’s talented safety

-Michigan coaches made halftime adjustments in their pass defense, which made things more difficult for Wimsatt in the 2nd half.

-Though the talent isn’t where it needs to be, the WRs did show promise. Sean Ryan used his superior size to snare a 50/50 ball as well used his body to shield a defender to get his TD reception.

-Last year, we came out and ran the ball in the 2nd half. This kept the defense fresh, and minimized opportunities for turnovers.

-This year, Michigan’s defenders seemed to be penetrating into the backfield on nearly every running play, stopping running plays in their tracks, before they had an opportunity to get started.

-Beat MSU, and we’ll be in good shape. We’re not that far, from being a successful team, but there is still work to do.
" Michigan coaches made halftime adjustments." Halftime adjustments is probably the dumbest cliche
in all of sports.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
Unlike the first half The LBers dropped into coverage in the 2nd half.
Great summary. On the broadcast, Mike Teel referenced the different coverages/looks that Michigan was using.

Speaking of Teel- he had 2 TDs and 10 INTs in his first year and a 3 game stretch with 6 INTs. Teel turned out fine. Gavin will hopefully learn and make better decisions as he gains experience.

Except for the winning BC drive, I dont recall seeing Gavin doing much with his legs all year.

It the truth. It so over rated by media and fans. How much do you really think the do in the maybe 10-12 minutes they have in the locker room?
Actually 7.5 minutes by the time they get to the locker room and back on the field.
Players take a leak, maybe eat half an orange, get retaped or might get an IV.

Actually 7.5 minutes by the time they get to the locker room and back on the field.
Players take a leak, maybe eat half an orange, get retaped or might get an IV.
The 7.5 minutes are for the coaches to have a chance to sit down together and have a conversation about what to do differently - - what kinds of plays to call, what personnel should be played, what defense to play -- in the second half. That's plenty of time for a conversation like that. I doubt they tell the players anything during halftime except to "keep on chopping" or something like that.

Reactions: rutgersal
It the truth. It so over rated by media and fans. How much do you really think the do in the maybe 10-12 minutes they have in the locker room?

Enough to win the game? Haven’t you ever seen a team come out in the 2nd half and take over the game? Rutgers did that when they outscored Boston College 16-7 to win the game 22-21.

In the 2nd half you can literally see Michigan’s LBers dropping into coverage, when in the first half those same throws were open. This led to two ints which led to TDS.

Enough to win the game? Haven’t you ever seen a team come out in the 2nd half and take over the game? Rutgers did that when they outscored Boston College 16-7 to win the game 22-21.

In the 2nd half you can literally see Michigan’s LBers dropping into coverage, when in the first half those same throws were open. This led to two ints which led to TDS.
BTW, let me join those who much prefer your commentary this year to the "upset alerts" of the past. Keep it up!!

" Michigan coaches made halftime adjustments." Halftime adjustments is probably the dumbest cliche
in all of sports.

Whenever a college team loses, fans bitch about play calling, game plans, clock management and lack of adjustments. Everything focused on the coaches. Very few criticisms mentioning the players.

While our fans still crab about play calling and occasionally clock management, there has been a consensus that our half time adjustments have been very good this season. Some shaky first and second quarters, but we have pretty much owned the third quarter all season.

Our knowledgeable fans are smart enough to know halftime adjustments aren't real. It's just a media thing.

Our knowledgeable fans are smart enough to know halftime adjustments aren't real. It's just a media thing.
I like to think that I'm fairly knowledgeable and I think coaches do make changes at half time that sometimes make a difference in a game. You're not putting in a whole new scheme just changing some things that might have hurt you in the first half.

I like to think that I'm fairly knowledgeable and I think coaches do make changes at half time that sometimes make a difference in a game. You're not putting in a whole new scheme just changing some things that might have hurt you in the first half.
For years, people here have blasted Schiano for allegedly not making halftime adjustments. It's ironic that now we're being told that there's no such thing as halftime adjustments. Heavens knows I've never coached football and never will -- but it seems to me that any sensible coaching staff would put their heads together for a few minutes at halftime and try to figure out tweaks to make their team more successful in the second half.

For years, people here have blasted Schiano for allegedly not making halftime adjustments. It's ironic that now we're being told that there's no such thing as halftime adjustments. Heavens knows I've never coached football and never will -- but it seems to me that any sensible coaching staff would put their heads together for a few minutes at halftime and try to figure out tweaks to make their team more successful in the second half.
They are doing it the entire game. They don’t just wait until half time. The entire game the coaches and players are talking and making adjustments.

Did you ever notice that head coaches, OC's, DC's, and the coaches "up in the booth" all wear headphones?
What do you think they are talking about? Dinner plans?

They are doing it the entire game. They don’t just wait until half time. The entire game the coaches and players are talking and making adjustments.
You are killing a strawman of your own invention. Nobody said that the coaches make adjustments *only* at halftime. All anyone has said is that they do make adjustments at halftime. You obviously agree because you say that adjustments are being made all the time -- and" all the time" of course includes halftime. It makes perfect sense to make adjustments at halftime as well as the rest of the time, because halftime gives the coaches and players a chance to talk for a few minutes. BTW, I am tagging @Purple-Ed on this reply so I don't have to send it to him, too. Have a good day!

Great summary. On the broadcast, Mike Teel referenced the different coverages/looks that Michigan was using.

Speaking of Teel- he had 2 TDs and 10 INTs in his first year and a 3 game stretch with 6 INTs. Teel turned out fine. Gavin will hopefully learn and make better decisions as he gains experience.
And even during the start of 2006, Teel was still a little shaky. We relied heavily on the run game.

Reactions: Knight Shift
You are killing a strawman of your own invention. Nobody said that the coaches make adjustments *only* at halftime. All anyone has said is that they do make adjustments at halftime. You obviously agree because you say that adjustments are being made all the time -- and" all the time" of course includes halftime. It makes perfect sense to make adjustments at halftime as well as the rest of the time, because halftime gives the coaches and players a chance to talk for a few minutes. BTW, I am tagging @Purple-Ed on this reply so I don't have to send it to him, too. Have a good day!
My whole point is it overrated because yes there a few minutes to talk but people think it this magical time where teams make all these changes.

in reality you have 20 minutes

it take about 3-5 minutes to get into the locker room. The first 5-10 minutes in there is getting some nutrition, hydratio, injuries re taped equipment changes ect. Then you meet with position groups for like 5 minutes, head coach usually talks then it time head out for second half warm ups. In game they often have more time to meet because of tv timeouts. A team has a 5 minute drive then with media time out that like 10 minutes to make adjustments.

My whole point is it overrated because yes there a few minutes to talk but people think it this magical time where teams make all these changes.

in reality you have 20 minutes

it take about 3-5 minutes to get into the locker room. The first 5-10 minutes in there is getting some nutrition, hydratio, injuries re taped equipment changes ect. Then you meet with position groups for like 5 minutes, head coach usually talks then it time head out for second half warm ups. In game they often have more time to meet because of tv timeouts. A team has a 5 minute drive then with media time out that like 10 minutes to make adjustments.

Not sure why it’s so hard for you to wrap your mind around the fact that halftime adjustments made a big difference in this game. You can literally see the differences on tape. And these changes led to 3 interceptions in the 2nd half.

The semantics of when the changes were actually decided upon doesn’t matter. What matters is they had an impact.

Maybe completely change your approach to things that aren't working?
Guessing you've never been in one of those locker rooms. Anybody who has is thinking " these guys can't be serious?"

ADVERTISEMENT