ADVERTISEMENT

RutgersAl Michigan State Recap

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
- Team went with a different OL look with Zilinskas at Center, Direnzo at LT, and Asamoah at Left Guard. The changes inspired the best rushing output of the season. Asamoah really looked good for his first start. OL produced huge holes for the backs to run through.

- QB and receivers are showing better chemistry, which resulted in >200 yards passing. Get at least 2 impact WRs, 1 impact OG, and 1 impact TE from the portal, and this offense will be ready to flourish

- If the offense can show a pulse against Penn State and Maryland, give Nunzio the job. I’m satisfied that we’re getting better. Need more talent. Add the right receivers and tight ends, and this offense can average 200 passing yards and 200 rushing yards next year, against most teams. Offensively, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

- Shameen Jones had a clutch TD on 4th and 28, beating double coverage. Maybe the best WR play of the year.

- Ryan was double covered most of the game, so this gave an opportunity to Aaron Cruickshank , who responded with 6 catches for 45 yards

- Aaron Young had a nice TD grab out of the backfield. This is what we’ve been missing most of the year

- Team rushed 44 times for 265 yards overall. Monangai rushed 24 times for 165 yards. Young rushed 5 times for 30 yards.

- Team let up 3 sacks while getting none

- Penalties were a killer, especially when you’re in a close game. 14 penalties for 108 yards vs MSUs 6 penalties for 50 yards. Defensively, we got caught with too many men on the field too many times.

- Avery Young and Tyreem Powell had their best games of the year, and ended up with 9 tackles

- Igbinosun also had his best game of the year, and ended up with 3 tackles and 1 TFL

- Wimsatt completed 20 of 34 passes for 236 yards and 2 TDS and most importantly 0 ints. If he can perform similarly well against Penn State and Maryland, we’ll be in great shape for next year.

- the end of first half playcalls was informed by experience. Schiano didn’t want a repeat of Louisville ‘05 where Mike Teel threw a pick 6, just before halftime. Don’t have a problem with this, especially because we were getting the ball to start the 2nd half

- Mike Higgins looked good out there in his first real action

- Jonny led all receivers with 73 receiving yards

- Jennings tried to go, but I guess he wasn’t effective, so he was replaced with JWC, who ended up with 8 tackles. JWC still learning the position, so defense loses a lot when Jennings isn’t in there

- We may not win again, but we have a chance to play exciting football these last two games

Last edited:
Good writeup al. We disagree on the end of the first half though. With 1:33 left on the 25 with 3 timeouts you have to go for points. That's a standard 2 minute drill particularly with 3 timeouts. to make matter worse Young broke that run to the 35 with 40 seconds left and 3 timeouts... There's time to get into field goal range!

I agree yesterday's game gave me the most optimism moving forward of any game this season. I like Nunz as well but not as our OC. With a QB like Gavin and running attack we're poised to have I think you have to open up the option. Gavin has a gift in his ability to throw on the run, there's so much that can be done with a guy like him using the RPO. Love in my heart to Nunz, I don't know if he has the knowledge to maximize it.. Though make no mistake, I want Nunz to remain on staff.

Nice little nugget as a guy I like as our next OC- Andrew Sowder from Kent State.

Last edited:
Reactions: rutgersal
think Al has it right for the most part, everybody seems to think we would of scored at the end of the first half if we had just run a few plays and called a couple of time outs.
This team cannot win committing 14 penalties, having a defense that gives up 455 yds. With a 6 or 7 plays going for more than 20 yds. Allowing a poor running team to go for over 200yds and don’t pressure the QB. all day long.
The defense executed very poorly all day against a team that has been struggling most of the year on offense.
Probably could have done a better job in the last 2 minutes of the first half, but that hardly cost us the game.

Wimsatt threw some nice balls in the game. Much fewer overthrows. He made a couple of mistakes but they weren't a big deal. I don't get that "Oh no! He is going to pass!" feeling lol. I bet the coaches are very happy having Wimsatt to coach.

One thing I find interesting looking at the overall season stars is they are essentially even vs our competition stats on the season. Yeah we had a cupcake in Wagner but in Ash years we wouldn’t have been close to this. IMO shows the overall progress and how we are getting closer, still with a younger roster and still lacking some playmakers. If you look Basically total yards, rushing yards, passing yards, first downs, TOP and most other stats are even. We are making progress, just not as quickly as some of us might want.

Allowing a poor running team to go for over 200yds and don’t pressure the QB. all day long.
The defense executed very poorly all day against a team that has been struggling most of the year on offense.
Disappointing performance from the defense.....couldn't get to the quarterback...bad tackling.

Reactions: colbert17
Totally inconsistent, continue to search for "complimentary football" and getting the damaging penalties under control, the holding penalties indicate the talent level of the O line, while better than last year is still not where it needs to be.

Disappointing performance from the defense.....couldn't get to the quarterback...bad tackling.

The defense is fatigued and won’t be as effective going forward. Offense must be able to run the ball and keep the defense fresh. Offense is showing glimpses of improvement.

Totally inconsistent, continue to search for "complimentary football" and getting the damaging penalties under control, the holding penalties indicate the talent level of the O line, while better than last year is still not where it needs to be.

This was a transition year where the OL replaced 4 of 5 starters. Next year with most returning and better quality depth, the OL should be much better.

One thing I find interesting looking at the overall season stars is they are essentially even vs our competition stats on the season. Yeah we had a cupcake in Wagner but in Ash years we wouldn’t have been close to this. IMO shows the overall progress and how we are getting closer, still with a younger roster and still lacking some playmakers. If you look Basically total yards, rushing yards, passing yards, first downs, TOP and most other stats are even. We are making progress, just not as quickly as some of us might want.

Need two impact WRs from the transfer portal and at least 1 Impact TE, and we’ll be good to go next year.

Good writeup al. We disagree on the end of the first half though. With 1:33 left on the 25 with 3 timeouts you have to go for points. That's a standard 2 minute drill particularly with 3 timeouts. to make matter worse Young broke that run to the 35 with 40 seconds left and 3 timeouts... There's time to get into field goal range!

[snip]
I guess that all that can be said is that Schiano doesn't have sufficient confidence in Wimsatt or our receivers or our offensive line to run a two-minute drill unless absolutely necessary. I can't entirely blame him. Clearly those are areas in which we need to develop and recruit -- and of course ultimately it's Schiano's responsibility to do that.

I guess that all that can be said is that Schiano doesn't have sufficient confidence in Wimsatt or our receivers or our offensive line to run a two-minute drill unless absolutely necessary. I can't entirely blame him. Clearly those are areas in which we need to develop and recruit -- and of course ultimately it's Schiano's responsibility to do that.
I don’t understand really. Yes Gavin is young however our receivers are all seniors and O line while mostly transfers are made up of a lot of upper classman.

In a game we ended up losing by 6, that we were losing by 7 at halftime, those potential points proved to be crucial.

Meanwhile to slap tho us in the face of course Greg did his patented ‘let’s piss off the other team’ victory formation rush…. More effort there from Greg than with 1:33 and 3 timeouts…. I firmly believe Greg schiano and the coaching staff lost us the game saturday… the players weren’t the problem, talent was there to win

I don’t understand really. Yes Gavin is young however our receivers are all seniors and O line while mostly transfers are made up of a lot of upper classman.

In a game we ended up losing by 6, that we were losing by 7 at halftime, those potential points proved to be crucial.

Meanwhile to slap tho us in the face of course Greg did his patented ‘let’s piss off the other team’ victory formation rush…. More effort there from Greg than with 1:33 and 3 timeouts…. I firmly believe Greg schiano and the coaching staff lost us the game saturday… the players weren’t the problem, talent was there to win
I am surprised that you "don't understand really." You obviously follow the team and this board closely. I'm sure you know that there have been many comments that the offensive line and receiving corps are in need of upgrading.

I am surprised that you "don't understand really." You obviously follow the team and this board closely. I'm sure you know that there have been many comments that the offensive line and receiving corps are in need of upgrading.
We need upgrading because so many graduate this year… it’s about replenishing the guys we are losing in regards to our needs at particularly receiver. AC and Ryan are good receivers. You aren’t going to get much better from the portal

We need upgrading because so many graduate this year… it’s about replenishing the guys we are losing in regards to our needs at particularly receiver. AC and Ryan are good receivers. You aren’t going to get much better from the portal
Interesting! So it sounds like you think our problem is not our personnel, but rather almost entirely one of coaching? I just want to be sure I understand where you're coming from.

ADVERTISEMENT