ADVERTISEMENT

RutgersAl Minnesota Recap

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
Not surprising for his first start, Wimsatt threw some nice passes, but also struggled at times, as did his supporting cast.
For the remainder of the season, Play Vedral, show some offense, get more playmakers and tell Wimsatt, he will be the guy next year. It makes zero sense to trot out a hurt Wimsatt, against a Michigan team that Vedral has had some success against. Hopefully, Vedral will get the nod this week, otherwise, the rest of the season will be unwatchable, with Michigan, MSU, and PSU on tap. This kind of experience is not beneficial to Wimsatt’s development

The game was lost when they announced Sam Brown was lost for the year. Losing our best offensive player was something the offense just could not overcome, and struggled.

Mohamed Ibrahim’s patient, powerful running was the difference in the game. He patiently waited for his blocks to setup, then squeezed through the gap that opened up ever so slightly. This kid is a lock to play Sundays

Turning point had to be when normally sure tackling Izien, missed Ibrahim in the end zone, and Minnesota went on a 99 yard drive

Defensive Line got whooped, and could not stop the run, even when they knew it was coming. Minnesota won first down a lot, and had. Lots of third and short situations, which they successfully converted.

#7 Shameen Jones and #1 Aaron Cruickshank were not targeted enough

With all the poor WR play, it’s hard for me to believe that #14 Isaiah Washington doesn’t deserve his shot

At times it feels like we’re playing against the other team and the refs

At the end of the year, Schiano will need to access whether the offensive assistants are capable of bringing in the talent to rectify our issues on offense. Development is also not where it needs to be. Kids need to be able to catch less than perfectly thrown balls. There is less talent in the WR/TE rooms than there was in 2005, which is hard to believe.

Need to regroup and get ready for a tough Michigan team

Reactions: Section124 and JDNB
Not surprising for his first start, Wimsatt threw some nice passes, but also struggled at times, as did his supporting cast.
For the remainder of the season, Play Vedral, show some offense, get more playmakers and tell Wimsatt, he will be the guy next year. It makes zero sense to trot out a hurt Wimsatt, against a Michigan team that Vedral has had some success against. Hopefully, Vedral will get the nod this week, otherwise, the rest of the season will be unwatchable, with Michigan, MSU, and PSU on tap. This kind of experience is not beneficial to Wimsatt’s development

The game was lost when they announced Sam Brown was lost for the year. Losing our best offensive player was something the offense just could not overcome, and struggled.

Mohamed Ibrahim’s patient, powerful running was the difference in the game. He patiently waited for his blocks to setup, then squeezed through the gap that opened up ever so slightly. This kid is a lock to play Sundays

Turning point had to be when normally sure tackling Izien, missed Ibrahim in the end zone, and Minnesota went on a 99 yard drive

Defensive Line got whooped, and could not stop the run, even when they knew it was coming. Minnesota won first down a lot, and had. Lots of third and short situations, which they successfully converted.

With all the poor WR play, it’s hard for me to believe that #14 Isaiah Washington doesn’t deserve his shot

At the end of the year, Schiano will need to access whether the offensive assistants are capable of bringing in the talent to rectify our issues on offense. Development is also not where it needs to be. Kids need to be able to catch less than perfectly thrown balls. There is less talent in the WR/TE rooms than there was in 2005, which is hard to believe.

I think we start Vedral next week and are back to Gavin for MSU. Might be the best thing for Gavin tbh but we have to get the guy more time. It’s imperative he sees the field more this year prior to taking over next. Not just from a development standpoint, but from a keeping him around standpoint. Kid clearly wants to play, his family clearly wants him to play, and in todays portal landscape it’s easier than ever for him to leave.

beyond that Vedral cannot put zip on the ball anymore. He’s not the same qb as he was pre-injury. He’s putting so much air under any ball thrown 15 yards or more down field that any half decent defender can make up any lost step that a receiver might have on him.

Not surprising his wide receivers and tight ends dropped catchable passes? Very surprising and disappointing. Totally disagree on play Vedral. Play Wimsatt and find receivers who can catch the ball. Like Ryan. And don't accuse me of being ableist.

Last edited:
Wimsatt should not be handed the job next year, he should earn it. I assume Schiano will be bringing in a QB from the transfer portal that will be able to compete for the starting job. If Wimsatt wins the starting job, great, but this is B1G football, players need to earn their playing time.

I think we start Vedral next week and are back to Gavin for MSU. Might be the best thing for Gavin tbh but we have to get the guy more time. It’s imperative he sees the field more this year prior to taking over next. Not just from a development standpoint, but from a keeping him around standpoint. Kid clearly wants to play, his family clearly wants him to play, and in todays portal landscape it’s easier than ever for him to leave.

beyond that Vedral cannot put zip on the ball anymore. He’s not the same qb as he was pre-injury. He’s putting so much air under any ball thrown 15 yards or more down field that any half decent defender can make up any lost step that a receiver might have on him.

This actually is a very good take. Nice job. There might be hope for you yet. 😉

Wimsatt should not be handed the job next year, he should earn it. I assume Schiano will be bringing in a QB from the transfer portal that will be able to compete for the starting job. If Wimsatt wins the starting job, great, but this is B1G football, players need to earn their playing time.

The expectation is that Competition will be brought in, but Wimsatt will be the likely starter, next September. I would be very surprised if he isn’t.

Not surprising his wide receivers and tight ends dropped catchable passes? Very surprising and disappointing. Totally disagree on play Vedral. Play Wimsatt and find receivers who can catch the ball. Like Ryan. And don't accuse me of being ableist.

We don’t have receivers who can consistently catch the ball. That’s why we need to play with some one one who can optimize what we do have. That person is Vedral.

Next year with a new offense, better OL, better WRs and Tight Ends, will be a different and much better situation for Wimsatt to excel.

Next year with a new offense, better OL, better WRs and Tight Ends, will be a different and much better situation for Wimsatt to excel.
We have heard this for years and it has never come to fruition. It's always next year will be better. You don't even know who will be on the team next year with transfers. And even if the offense is "better" that still won't be enough. It has to be light years better to win games.

We don’t have receivers who can consistently catch the ball. That’s why we need to play with some one one who can optimize what we do have. That person is Vedral.

Totally disagree on Vedral. Gavin needs reps, and as many as possible.

Our most reliable "receivers," Ryan, Langan and Jones are gone next year. Where do you suppose we will get better TEs and WRs? Munnerlyn had potential, and people laughed and said "who?" when he left. But that will hurt. Yes, there is a portal, but RU will have a tough time convincing WRs and TEs to transfer here. You know I am usually optimistic, but the receiver situation is concerning.

Reactions: RW90
Totally disagree on Vedral. Gavin needs reps, and as many as possible.

Our most reliable "receivers," Ryan, Langan and Jones are gone next year. Where do you suppose we will get better TEs and WRs? Munnerlyn had potential, and people laughed and said "who?" when he left. But that will hurt. Yes, there is a portal, but RU will have a tough time convincing WRs and TEs to transfer here. You know I am usually optimistic, but the receiver situation is concerning.
I think it’s more the concussion protocol and a heightened awareness of them particularly involving qb’s after Tua this year. Beyond that you want young players to have a chance at some success. Love in my heart to our guys, sending Gavin out vs Michigan is like sending a pig out to slaughter. A couple really bad games in a row can seriously damage a kids progress. Meanwhile MSU has struggled this year, I don’t know that we beat msu but we certainly have a better chance at success vs them. From there let Gavin finish the year, show him that he is the future and they have faith in that. Or find out he doesn’t have it in time to identify a transfer for next year.

I think it’s more the concussion protocol and a heightened awareness of them particularly involving qb’s after Tua this year. Beyond that you want young players to have a chance at some success. Love in my heart to our guys, sending Gavin out vs Michigan is like sending a pig out to slaughter. A couple really bad games in a row can seriously damage a kids progress. Meanwhile MSU has struggled this year, I don’t know that we beat msu but we certainly have a better chance at success vs them. From there let Gavin finish the year, show him that he is the future and they have faith in that. Or find out he doesn’t have it in time to identify a transfer for next year.
Concussion protocol aside (assuming he is 100% healthy), there is no reason to not put him out there for some series again Michigan.

Reactions: NickRU714
Playing Vedral at all is possibly the worst decision they can make.
Even if he was healthy, he needs to sit.

Everyone talks about "senior experienced QBs" but then say "well no don't play Simon/Wimsatt and get them experience."

When exactly do we find out what we have if Wimsatt never plays?
Wait until next year? And what if he doesn't have it? Or needs time to develop?
Now we're going through a learning curve next year? Just so that Vedral can play this year?
For what?

Reactions: Knight Shift
Because of Schiano’s reputation and a couple more years of reinforcing the philosophy that QBs and WRs don’t contribute much here.

For the remainder of the season, Play Vedral, and tell Wimsatt, he will be the guy next year. with Michigan, MSU, and PSU on tap. This kind of experience is not beneficial to Wimsatt’s development
Strongly disagree. To be a star next year, Wimsatt needs as much game experience as possible this year, regardless of opponent.
Sam Brown would not have done significantly better in my opinion. Minnesota's defensive line had a great game and our O-Line wasn't able to match their intensity.
Defensive Line got whooped, and could not stop the run, even when they knew it was coming.
Mo Ibrahim is an NFL player and like every other Minnesota opponent, we couldn't stop him. If he doesn't go in the 1st round, somebody will be getting a bargain.
#7 Shameen Jones and #1 Aaron Cruickshank were not targeted enough. With all the poor WR play, it’s hard for me to believe that #14 Isaiah Washington doesn’t deserve his shot
Good observations. I agree completely on both points.

Concussion protocol aside (assuming he is 100% healthy), there is no reason to not put him out there for some series again Michigan.
There is if you want to build the kids confidence. Genuinely it does nothing to help to throw a freshman out against an NFL defense particularly without Brown to take some pressure off. Last thing we need is for Gavin to develop "happy feet" the way Art did when he was thrown out too quickly. Ideally Gavin would have seen more time earlier this season but it wasn't meant to be. Just my guess though is they will use "concussion protocol" as an excuse to not play him vs michigan this week, but really that's not the worst thing considering MSU has struggled this year, and Gavin will have a much better chance of finding success vs them going into that Final PSU/Maryland stretch.

Al, the way forum software works, when you create a thread, we can all see that it was you who created it. So it's really not necessary to add your name to the thread title. 😉

• Haha
Reactions: rutgersguy1
Lol people think I would waste my time trolling Rutgers as a pedd state troll… reality is I just want the program to succeed
Oh really.

Then you should have no problem at all admitting that Joe Paterno knew what was going on with Sandusky and all references to Paterno at PSU should be removed for the stain they place on the university. So let's hear it. Let's hear you condemn JoePa without any qualification.

This is where we see what matters more to you, your worship of JoePa, or your obsession with pretending not be a PSU troll. Tough choice for you, I wish you luck!

T
This is where we see what matters more to you, your worship of JoePa, or your obsession with pretending not be a PSU troll. Tough choice for you, I wish you luck!
Ummm of course joe knew what was going on… he was an awful Human being for allowing that to take place.

that was honestly one of the dumbest requests I’ve ever heard for some kind of ‘initiation’ but hey if it makes you feel better have at it….
Like, you genuinely have to be a special kind of stupid to believe any Pedd State fan would be trolling Rutgers at this point. PSU just went toe to toe with Ohio state, you really think a fan of Penn state would give a rat’s ass about trolling Rutgers at this point in the year? Commenting on game threads, identifying potential coaches in our budget…. F*ckface I sat through Gary nova throwing 5 picks against them our initial game in this conference when it was there for the taking for us…. Don’t ****ing insult me by getting Butthurt that I don’t like schiano and therefor am a Penn stater. Hell wouldnt a Penn stater support schiano considering he came from the paterno coaching tree? Seriously, GFY for even insinuating I support that program

Last edited:
Reactions: RUfinally2008
Then you should have no problem at all admitting that Joe Paterno knew what was going on with Sandusky and all references to Paterno at PSU should be removed for the stain they place on the university. So let's hear it. Let's hear you condemn JoePa without any qualification.

Ummm of course joe knew what was going on… he was an awful Human being for allowing that to take place.

that was honestly one of the dumbest requests I’ve ever heard for some kind of ‘initiation’ but hey if it makes you feel better have at it….
Initiation? Nah, just wanted to see the degree to which you'd go to preserve your false narrative about being an RU fan and not a PSU troll. I'll give you credit, trolling is clearly even more important to you than JoePa. That's dedication to the art of trolling.

Initiation? Nah, just wanted to see the degree to which you'd go to preserve your false narrative about being an RU fan and not a PSU troll. I'll give you credit, trolling is clearly even more important to you than JoePa. That's dedication to the art of trolling.
Feel free to hit the ignore button. Funny how when the team struggles, fans start going after each other. I can’t help it that you are stuck in 2006 and somehow by me talking f about what a sh*t coach schiano is, that somehow makes me a pedd state troll. Idiot Schiano came from the paterno coaching tree, a pedd stater would support him! Hell they’d really support him considering he can’t recruit a single mutual target of theirs…. Think before you speak next time👍

Was watching highlights of A. Brown's 3 TD catches (pros- Eagles). I noticed that at least two of the catches required Brown to play Defense and fight for the ball (which he did and prevailed). THIS is what our receiving squad needs to do: CATCH what's thrown to you/ break up passe that DB's have a play on.

MO

Was watching highlights of A. Brown's 3 TD catches (pros- Eagles). I noticed that at least two of the catches required Brown to play Defense and fight for the ball (which he did and prevailed). THIS is what our receiving squad needs to do: CATCH what's thrown to you/ break up passe that DB's have a play on.

MO

This is what Taj Harris does which the rest of our WR corp, needs to learn to do.

Reactions: RutgersMO
Feel free to hit the ignore button. Funny how when the team struggles, fans start going after each other. I can’t help it that you are stuck in 2006 and somehow by me talking f about what a sh*t coach schiano is, that somehow makes me a pedd state troll. Idiot Schiano came from the paterno coaching tree, a pedd stater would support him! Hell they’d really support him considering he can’t recruit a single mutual target of theirs…. Think before you speak next time👍
I don’t put anybody on ignore and I have yet to meet a troll I couldn’t out-troll. You’ll have to put me on ignore if you can’t take having the truth about your troll-hood outed. Say, I’m not making you mad, am I?

Couldn’t help throwing in a gratuitous pro-PSU, anti-RU, recruiting comment, could you? For a guy weakly tossing around insults about others intelligence and thoughtfulness, you really ought to be more careful. 😉

Want a mulligan?

I don’t put anybody on ignore and I have yet to meet a troll I couldn’t out-troll. You’ll have to put me on ignore if you can’t take having the truth about your troll-hood outed. Say, I’m not making you mad, am I?

Couldn’t help throwing in a gratuitous pro-PSU, anti-RU, recruiting comment, could you? For a guy weakly tossing around insults about others intelligence and thoughtfulness, you really ought to be more careful. 😉

Want a mulligan?
Making me mad? By acting like a 9 year old? Gratuitous nothing. I’m pointing out realities about the program that I can help if some of our soft ass fans can’t realize…. Think what you want about me, I really could care less. But the idea that you think I’m some sort of psu troll because I posted about how beaten down our fans were in 2019 while they were screaming for a replacement dinosaur schiano who deep down everyone knows is t performing.
Buddy a psu troll wouldn’t do a deep dive on available affordable coaches 3 years ago the way I did when I first started talking up Mike Houston. But if you wanna live in a diluted world now reaching a point of bashing other Rutgers fans, you live a sad world

Good write up Al. Totally agree on Washington. Not sure why he doesn't get more reps.

Reactions: rutgersal
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT