ADVERTISEMENT

RutgersAl Nebraska Recap

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
  • mistakes led to 14 Nebraska points. Nebraska’s offense wasn’t capable of driving the length of the field on our defense, without help. Unfortunately, we gave it to them. 2 penalties for 35 yards led to the first touchdown. Aaron Lewis was roughing the passer much of the first half, but it wasn’t called. At this critical juncture, it was called.

• The only thing consistent about Big Ten officiating is its awfulness, but I was warned about this by other Big Ten fans. Some teams are allowed to hold on just about every play. That said, officiating is never a legitimate excuse, and we only have our own mistakes, and lack of discipline to blame for the loss. The 2nd Nebraska TD was facilitated by a Rutgers QB interception.

• If Vedral plays the full game, we likely win it

• On Noah Vedral’s Touchdown Run, #77 Tyler and #51 Curtis Dunlap made the key blocks, as #51 was the backside guard pulling, and absolutely flattened defenders. This is the kind of play, I’ve been dreaming of, and it was gratifying to finally see it happen. Overall, I feel like the offensive line is jelling, and ready to play it’s best football over the 2nd half of the season. Definitely not perfect, but they are getting better.

• Even though dinged at one point, Jennings had his best game of the year, ending up with 10+ tackles and at least 1 TFL

• #0 Izien is continuing to play himself into an NFL opportunity; in addition to being a sure, open field tackler, his coverage skills have gotten much better

• Defensive Line had its best game of the year, as Nebraskas QB was constantly harrasssed, and their run game was significantly mitigated.

• Noah Vedral played mistake free and delivered a number of well thrown balls. His poise and accuracy give me confidence heading into the balance of the season. We have two weeks to get him healthy.

• Cruickshank, Jones and Ryan demonstrated outstanding ball skills, though one of Ryan’s impressive receptions was eliminated by a nonsense OPI call. What a BS call that was, and significantly contributed to Nebraskas victory. If that catch stands, we win the game because at a minimum, we get 3.

• #57 had a bad penalty, but at times totally destroyed his man.

• # 55 Hanson also looked good while subbing in

• Time to make #27 the focal point of the offense. Even as a freshman, he’s the most talented offensive player we have, demonstrating terrific instincts, power, and vision. Needs to get at least 20-25 Carries per game

• Quarterbacks had 233 yards passing but 3 interceptions. Cut down on the ints, and we’re good to go.

• We’re 3-3, but should have been 4-2. Consensus was between 4-6 wins, for the year, so not sure what the angst is all about. Indiana and MSU are winnable. Maryland is a possibility. Minnesota, Michigan, and Penn State will be reaches, but not impossible. Defense has performed well. Offense has struggled, but at least has shown glimmers of hope. Time for the team to come together and play it’s best football over the last half of the season

Good analysis. Vedral’s running ability opened up our Offense but he had a few throws sail or dive on him. Hope he can go full tilt in 2 weeks.

Reactions: rutgersal
  • mistakes led to 14 Nebraska points. Nebraska’s offense wasn’t capable of driving the length of the field on our defense, without help. Unfortunately, we gave it to them. 2 penalties for 35 yards led to the first touchdown. Aaron Lewis was roughing the passer much of the first half, but it wasn’t called. At this critical juncture, it was called.

• The only thing consistent about Big Ten officiating is its awfulness, but I was warned about this by other Big Ten fans. Some teams are allowed to hold on just about every play. That said, officiating is never a legitimate excuse, and we only have our own mistakes, and lack of discipline to blame for the loss. The 2nd Nebraska TD was facilitated by a Rutgers QB interception.

• On Noah Vedral’s Touchdown Run, #77 Tyler and #51 Curtis Dunlap made the key blocks, as #51 was the backside guard pulling, and absolutely flattened defenders. This is the kind of play, I’ve been dreaming of, and it was gratifying to finally see it happen. Overall, I feel like the offensive line is jelling, and ready to play it’s best football over the 2nd half of the season. Definitely not perfect, but they are getting better.

• Even though dinged at one point, Jennings had his best game of the year, ending up with 10+ tackles and at least 1 TFL

• #0 Izien is continuing to play himself into an NFL opportunity; in addition to being a sure, open field tackler, his coverage skills have gotten much better

• Defensive Line had its best game of the year, as Nebraskas QB was constantly harrasssed, and their run game was significantly mitigated.

• Noah Vedral played mistake free and delivered a number of well thrown balls. His poise and accuracy give me confidence heading into the balance of the season. We have two weeks to get him healthy.

• Cruickshank, Jones and Ryan demonstrated outstanding ball skills, though one of Ryan’s impressive receptions was eliminated by a nonsense OPI call. What a BS call that was, and significantly contributed to Nebraskas victory. If that catch stands, we win the game because at a minimum, we get 3.

• Time to make #27 the focal point of the offense. Even as a freshman, he’s the most talented offensive player we have, demonstrating terrific instincts, power, and vision. Needs to get at least 20-25 Carries per game

• Quarterbacks had 233 yards passing but 3 interceptions. Cut down on the ints, and we’re good to go.

• We’re 3-3, but should have been 4-2. Consensus was between 4-6 wins, for the year, so not sure what the angst is all about. Indiana and MSU are winnable. Maryland is a possibility. Minnesota, Michigan, and Penn State will be reaches, but not impossible. Defense has performed well. Offense has struggled, but at least has shown glimmers of hope. Time for the team to come together and play it’s best football over the last half of the season
Agree with your analysis except- if Gavin is ready he has to be given the reigns and let him learn on the job. Noah is a tough game manager and future coach....who has trouble throwing the ball even when he wasn't recovering from surgery.

Love Noah's toughness....but we need a healthy well coached Gavin to finish this season and prepare for 2023.

MO

Last edited:

"Should have been" entirely subjective. BC easily could've won the opener as an example.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
Prior to this season’s start up how many predicted wins against Iowa and Nebraska? Can’t recall exactly but I believe most fans predicted Rutgers being 2-4 or 3-3 … BC was a toss up… Iowa was a possible defeat… Ohio State was what else a certain loss…Nebraska was an early pick to be a West Division contender with toss up the choice. In truth we are exactly what most on this board honestly believed… a team who if they play turnover and penalty free can compete and get to at least 500. Rutgers needs Vedral to be the guy for the remaining season going forward . Sorry that’s just the reality… Gavin if ever fully healthy needs to be the # 2 with Simon #3… need 2 portal QB’s or a kid like Chase Dodd would do the trick.

On the offensive side, a number of things haven't gone well this year. The two worst things have been being forced to play mostly our QB3 and Wimsatt not getting any development work. The best thing that could happen right now, in-season is for Vedral and Wimsatt to get fully healthy. There are other good things (you know, give the ball to Brown), but those two would be a good start.

Prior to this season’s start up how many predicted wins against Iowa and Nebraska? Can’t recall exactly but I believe most fans predicted Rutgers being 2-4 or 3-3 … BC was a toss up… Iowa was a possible defeat… Ohio State was what else a certain loss…Nebraska was an early pick to be a West Division contender with toss up the choice. In truth we are exactly what most on this board honestly believed… a team who if they play turnover and penalty free can compete and get to at least 500. Rutgers needs Vedral to be the guy for the remaining season going forward . Sorry that’s just the reality… Gavin if ever fully healthy needs to be the # 2 with Simon #3… need 2 portal QB’s or a kid like Chase Dodd would do the trick.
we never had success with portal/transfer QBs. sorry i don't count vedral as a success...
the top transfers are going to teams with a guarantee of #1 status (see KSC, USC, SC, etc) we aren't doing that with winstatt.. our best bet is to bring in 2 scholarship QBs like other schools do each recruiting season..the #4 and #5 on the depth chart will end up transfering..

we never had success with portal/transfer QBs. sorry i don't count vedral as a success...
the top transfers are going to teams with a guarantee of #1 status (see KSC, USC, SC, etc) we aren't doing that with winstatt.. our best bet is to bring in 2 scholarship QBs like other schools do each recruiting season..the #4 and #5 on the depth chart will end up transfering..
We didn’t have Schiano … Schiano inherited Noah and sorry Vedral does enough when healed to make us competitive and a threat to most teams on our level . Simon was an Ash commit if I’m correct Gavin Wimsatt the 18 year old 4**** is a Schiano recruit. Portal transfers who failed , failed under a different regime. Our #4-5 are basically walk ons … the others ( 1 from Florida) is brand spanking new… Albarricci will never see game action until the final home game of his senior year. Greg just may find that solid portal guy.

The preseason prediction lens doesn’t matter one iota. If the opponents are unexpectedly shitty, losing isn’t simply ok because you didn’t think you’d beat them in August. If the preseason expectation was the measuring stick, Schiano wouldn’t have been compelled to fire the OC.

Reactions: newell138
It's tough when a team is on the cusp but not quite there yet. Good enough to win but everything has to be done perfectly to win. When over the hump, two or three mistakes won't lose the game for you.

The preseason prediction lens doesn’t matter one iota. If the opponents are unexpectedly shitty, losing isn’t simply ok because you didn’t think you’d beat them in August. If the preseason expectation was the measuring stick, Schiano wouldn’t have been compelled to fire the OC.
It certainly does matter. Those predictions were from this board of fans. Your attempt to feign shock that we all expected better is BS. We are for the most part exactly where most predicted 3-3 and at best 4-2.

It certainly does matter. Those predictions were from this board of fans. Your attempt to feign shock that we all expected better is BS. We are for the most part exactly where most predicted 3-3 and at best 4-2.
Disagree entirely. In addition to the reason I cited, it also matters that the offense is futile. No TDs against mighty Temple and just one in each of the next three games, including two supposed home night sellouts on national tv. Unacceptable, regardless of your preseason prediction.

If nothing was grossly wrong, Gleeson wouldn’t have been fired.

Schiano (not you) realized that and was desperate to try something new to save some credibility among fans for next year and hopefully not play home games in an empty stadium in 2023.

Things are absolutely not ok, regardless of 4-5 win predictions.

Last edited:
I can't buy into the "you would have signed for 3-3" argument. Yes that's true but the situation changed. Nebraska stinks. We lost because our team made more mistakes. While you could argue Iowa's defense created RU's mistakes, almost all of the mistakes against Nebraska were self inflicted. Those three 4th quarter interceptions were completely on our offense and had nothing to do with good defense. Now add the Mets being Joe Musgrove's bitch to the equation and I'm going to be surly for awhile.

Disagree entirely. In addition to the reason I cited, it also matters that the offense is futile. No TDs against mighty Temple and just one in each of the next three games, including two supposed home night sellouts on national tv. Unacceptable, regardless of your preseason prediction.

If nothing was grossly wrong, Gleeson wouldn’t have been fired.

Schiano (not you) realized that and was desperate to try something new to save some credibility among fans for next year and hopefully not play home games in an empty stadium in 2023.

Things are absolutely not ok, regardless of 4-5 win predictions.
It wasn’t my pre season prediction . It was the RU fanbase ‘s outlook . Those who reside on this board in particular. I never made a season prediction . I haven’t given one in 4 years since Ash buried the program. You come on here consistently bitching about Rutgers sports ( football especially) and Schiano … his past 11- 12 season tenure. Anything you can denigrate you do. You are the same as a few others who are negative to a fault. And as for Schiano looking to keep the fanbase interested. Would you not do the same thing genius? My reply to the original post was that 99% of the board predicted 3-3 and at most 4-2 . We realize your hate of Rutgers and Schiano it’s blatantly obvious. Just go root for Syracuse or UConn or Pennsyltucky.

You are lost. I’m providing a practical, logical reason for Schiano to fire Gleeson when he did. I think Gleeson was made a scapegoat, and NC is less qualified. But Schiano did need to make a move (a PR move) and possibly being fired comes with the territory as an assistant.

Good thing Schiano doesn’t assess his success based on board pre season predictions. He’s failing so far and he knows it.

The pre-season predictions don't matter. What matters is that we could easily be 5-1 with a better offense and fewer turnovers.

You are lost. I’m providing a practical, logical reason for Schiano to fire Gleeson when he did. I think Gleeson was made a scapegoat, and NC is less qualified. But Schiano did need to make a move (a PR move) and possibly being fired comes with the territory as an assistant.

Good thing Schiano doesn’t assess his success based on board pre season predictions. He’s failing so far and he knows it.
In your head you think you are providing some sort of reasoning. The point is we are exactly at the where 99% of the base and this board thought we might be. I’m done with the back and forth stupidity. And what everyone including …mwaaaa ….has called for an offensive change in play callings. So WTH is your point?

The pre-season predictions don't matter. What matters is that we could easily be 5-1 with a better offense and fewer turnovers.
Coulda and shoulda but we are not 4-2 or 5-1… everyone knows why … People who are upset should look at those predictions for what they were. Fanbase wishful thinking.

Bobber-the Mets did better than expected but collapsed and lost all but one ‘must win’ games. To you, the big collapse isn’t an issue because they weren’t expected to win so much anyway ? That’s a loser attitude. Own it.

The offense is putrid, they don’t have a legit FBS qb and they haven’t scored 2 offensive TDs in a game since the glorified DIII team Schiano managed to schedule for the only likely win he could find but to you it’s all good since they weren’t expected to win 5 anyway.

There’s a big difference between losing games and losing games in embarrassing fashion. Not to you unfortunately, but keep up the laughable spin. LOL. Lame.

Good thing you aren’t the AD because by your logic his rebuild is going well since he’s meeting low expectations.

Last edited:
Bobber-the Mets did better than expected but collapsed and lost all but one ‘must win’ games. To you, the big collapse isn’t an issue because they weren’t expected to win so much anyway ? That’s a loser attitude. Own it.

The offense is putrid, they don’t have a legit FBS qb and they haven’t scored 2 offensive TDs in a game since the glorified DIII team Schiano managed to schedule for the only likely win he could find but to you it’s all good since they weren’t expected to win 5 anyway.

There’s a big difference between losing games and losing games in embarrassing fashion. Not to you unfortunately, but keep up the laughable spin. LOL. Lame.

Good thing you aren’t the AD because by your logic his rebuild is going well since he’s meeting low expectations.
The only Bobber is you on a date with your boyfriend .

The only Bobber is you on a date with your boyfriend .
So funny you are. Probably think that’s witty . Ignorance is bliss, so I guess you are lucky to feel so positive about the dumpster fire because the team is meeting pre-season expectations. Very Low expectations are easy to reach, don’t you think ?

ADVERTISEMENT