ADVERTISEMENT

RWJBarnabas Health invests $18M in Rutgers Athletics training facility

That's great news for RU, but I'm never crazy about healthcare organizations spending money like this on non-healthcare items. The deal is big-time for RU though.

Reactions: brista21
Per Barchi....

"$8 million will go towards the construction of a sports medicine facility that will be an extension to the building, which will be a practice program that will provide sports medicine for all of our 600 student-athletes as well as the rest of our students in the community.''

So the total project is now bigger than the current plans on the fundraising site? Is it fair to say RU has now secured approx $75 million of the $108 million needed?

Impressive especially considering the issues RU has had raising funding in the past.

That's great news for RU, but I'm never crazy about healthcare organizations spending money like this on non-healthcare items. The deal is big-time for RU though.

I find it interesting due to Barnabas's financial issues not all that long ago. I guess the merger has done wonders in a short time.

Per Barchi....

"$8 million will go towards the construction of a sports medicine facility that will be an extension to the building, which will be a practice program that will provide sports medicine for all of our 600 student-athletes as well as the rest of our students in the community.''

So the total project is now bigger than the current plans on the fundraising site? Is it fair to say RU has now secured approx $75 million of the $108 million needed?

Impressive especially considering the issues RU has had raising funding in the past.

Seems about right. The $100M was an estimate.

Just curious, how much will RU pay them to run the sports medicine facility per year?

Per Barchi....

That's how I read it

I find it interesting due to Barnabas's financial issues not all that long ago. I guess the merger has done wonders in a short time.

Great news for RU, but I am not understanding how a healthcare organization can spend this kind of money on naming rights for a sports facility without some sort of public scrutiny/outcry.

This is just a small part of the overall investment RWJ/Barnabas is making in Rutgers overall. They also announced recently that they will be funding hundreds of Millions of dollars of Medical research at Rutgers.

I'm guessing the sports medicine facility would be a combination of clinical applications and research on new therapies, etc.

Great news for RU, but I am not understanding how a healthcare organization can spend this kind of money on naming rights for a sports facility without some sort of public scrutiny/outcry.

I don't know if that'd be an issue anywhere except when you're talking about RU/NJ. You only have to take a quick trip up the Turnpike to find Quest Diagnostics name on the Giants facility. I'm guessing the naming rights weren't free.

My issues with Barnabas are personal and I probably shouldn't be dragging them on here.

Reactions: Jim_from_RU
New pictures!

12212811.jpeg

12212764.jpeg

12212812.jpeg

12212763.jpeg

12212765.jpeg

No. Just asking a question. Someone will undoubtedly ask the question outside of Rutgers. Did you see my first few words, "Great news for RU", or are you just looking to start shit?

Don't worry , it's in NJ. The most cynical people on earth live there. Plenty of dummies will question it, most having no understanding of the basic facts.

Doesn't matter though. This is awesome.

Hobbs rules.

It would be awesome if we could get Johnson and Johnson to make a contribution to their home college sports program.

a win-win...not just for athletics, but for RWJ Medical School as a practice area to help enhance sports medicine...

knight shift--that is how they can justify the investment

novel thinking and should be commended all the way around

It would be awesome if we could get Johnson and Johnson to make a contribution to their home college sports program.

Johnson and Johnson is a Rutgers sponsor, you see their logo at the football stadium and the RAC. They also give a lot to the academic side of things.

Also it case it wasn't super obvious... Robert Wood Johnson is Woody Johnson who is the the co-founder of Johnson & Johnson, thus the name. He also owns the NY Jets, he owns a lot of things. The UMDNJ now Rutgers school is named after him as will this new place.

Johnson and Johnson is a Rutgers sponsor, you see their logo at the football stadium and the RAC. They also give a lot to the academic side of things.

Also it case it wasn't super obvious... Robert Wood Johnson is Woody Johnson who is the the co-founder of Johnson & Johnson, thus the name. He also owns the NY Jets, he owns a lot of things. The UMDNJ now Rutgers school is named after him as will this new place.
The hospital is named after General Robert Wood Johnson. Same family, different generation.

Woody Johnson is not the co-founder of Johnson & Johnson, he's one of the heirs. He's the great-grandson of Robert Wood Johnson I, who was a co-founder of Johnson & Johnson. But same difference I suppose.

As for the renderings, is it just me or is the facade of the building particularly ugly and dated looking? The interior renderings on the other hand look amazing!

Robert Wood Johnson and Woody Johnson are not the same person. RWJ was the first president of Johnson and Johnson and died in the early 1900's. Johnson and Johnson is close to 150 years old and Woody Johnson had little to do with Johnson and Johnson as a company. Just was born with lots of cash.

The Nets new training center in Brooklyn is named after the Hospital for Special Surgery. No outcry. The soccer stadium in Kansas City is named after Children's Mercy Hospital. No outcry. Another stadium in Carolina named after WakeMed Health & Hospitals. Again, no outcry. And those are all current. I didn't even get into older deals, like AmeriCare. It's not rare or uncommon in any way.

Reactions: Jim_from_RU
The Nets new training center in Brooklyn is named after the Hospital for Special Surgery. No outcry. The soccer stadium in Kansas City is named after Children's Mercy Hospital. No outcry. Another stadium in Carolina named after WakeMed Health & Hospitals. Again, no outcry. And those are all current. I didn't even get into older deals, like AmeriCare. It's not rare or uncommon in any way.
They can justify investment in naming rights in increasing the bottom line to the hospital company, it is a wash. On top of that, they will probably generate business within the facility and attract research $ and grant money, so that makes it a smart investment. The comments by the RWJUH rep made this clear. It's a huge win-win for RU and RWJUH.

Last edited:
AHTC-logo--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

Really unless you are a health care worker union rep or a health spending gadfly who cares?
UPMC-complex-front-rendering.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT