ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Hart on The Scarlet Spotlight

I very much enjoyed listening to Ryan Hart. It convinced me more than anything that Greg Schiano should be the hire. The most important competencies in choosing our next head coach should be ability to recruit NJ, ability to attract an outstanding coaching staff, past head coach experience , strength of personality, and last but not least the ability to excite the fan base and give them hope. None of the names being floated check those boxes other than Schiano.

Reactions: njrexguy
I very much enjoyed listening to Ryan Hart. It convinced me more than anything that Greg Schiano should be the hire. The most important competencies in choosing our next head coach should be ability to recruit NJ, ability to attract an outstanding coaching staff, past head coach experience , strength of personality, and last but not least the ability to excite the fan base and give them hope. None of the names being floated check those boxes other than Schiano.

But in fairness, Ryan and @RUJON said "Rutgers/Hobbs needs to conduct a FULLY VETTED SEARCH." You have to go through the process and do all of the due diligence, and people are just going to have to wait. Ryan also expressed the utmost confidence in Hobbs and praised Hobbs' willingness to listen to former football players and soliciting their input.

Listen at 19:30 and 28:30.

In my opinion, this podcast dispelled a lot of the false narratives being pushed by the hire Greg now crowd.

Last edited:
FYI, that’s a different Jon than me. Lol.

There definitely seems to be a process.

It's all about offense, and firing a guy who punts from the +40 and then hiring a guy most fans forget would punt from the +35 would be a disaster. Sure,he recruited well yet never won a weak league. Looking back at the NFL talent he had, his teams underperformed terribly.

Reactions: VW Knight
Confirms Ash is a dud.
Didn't listen to the whole thing but that section referenced by @Knight Shift and I think some of us got that impression from Ash anyway....focused a lot of what we don't have and not what we do and what we can do with it. Most of his career was at the FBS level.

Like I mentioned in that Wille Fritz article in the search firm thread or the Mount Union guys coming up from the lower ranks seem to be more willing to go into tough situations and see what they do have and see what can work and not be negative about everything...same with Leach (also came up from lower levels) and him saying get the most you can with what you got....I'm sure they want more and would love any help they can get but it's not always I can't do this this and this because I don't have that that and that....etc.

Reactions: Knight Shift
It's all about offense, and firing a guy who punts from the +40 and then hiring a guy most fans forget would punt from the +35 would be a disaster. Sure,he recruited well yet never won a weak league. Looking back at the NFL talent he had, his teams underperformed terribly.
Our Conference is all about Defense and having an Offense is what separates the top teams. Don’t confuse the facts. Schiano ran a lot of trick plays and fake punts while here as well. So did Flood.

No, our conference is not about Defense anymore. Which side of the ball did Ryan Day come from ? That's why he got the job over Schiano. Well, that and also because he couldn't even coach defense last year either.

If you look at the top 5 Big10 teams in the east division as of today, 3 (the top 3) have HCs who have offense backgrounds. And all of the top 5 in the west have offense backgrounds. Illinois and Northwestern HCs have come from the defense perspective and are #6 and #7 in the standings.

This trend is real. This is not a coincidence. It's all about the offense now.

No, our conference is not about Defense anymore. Which side of the ball did Ryan Day come from ? That's why he got the job over Schiano. Well, that and also because he couldn't even coach defense last year either.

If you look at the top 5 Big10 teams in the east division as of today, 3 (the top 3) have HCs who have offense backgrounds. And all of the top 5 in the west have offense backgrounds. Illinois and Northwestern HCs have come from the defense perspective and are #6 and #7 in the standings.

take a look at the past few NFL drafts and see which side of the ball the drafted B1G players play on.

that's irrelevant to the discussion of the college game. besides, if you want to point to eventual NFL talent meaning anything, you should try to explain why Schiano's best bowl was the BigEast #3 despite having more talent than teams who made the BCS game.

That in and of itself proves why Schiano's philosophy doesn't work.

Agree with the trend but our conference has many great defenses and a few good offenses. It’s all about D and running the ball in the BIG. And I’m not a Schiano or nothing guy. He needs a top OC if we hire him back. Running the ball and stopping the run are paramount in the BIG.

that's irrelevant to the discussion of the college game. besides, if you want to point to eventual NFL talent meaning anything, you should try to explain why Schiano's best bowl was the BigEast #3 despite having more talent than teams who made the BCS game.

That in and of itself proves why Schiano's philosophy doesn't work.

irrelevant to the discussion of the college game? seriously? please name one top B1G team that is a bad defensive team. minnesota is the only ranked B1G team that isn't in the top 15 in the country in PPG allowed. and they're still in the top half.

Reactions: Yeah Baby
irrelevant to the discussion of the college game? seriously? please name one top B1G team that is a bad defensive team. minnesota is the only ranked B1G team that isn't in the top 15 in the country in PPG allowed. and they're still in the top half.
I know a lot of people that think it’s all about Offenses and great offenses are indeed fun to watch. But without a solid D we are doomed in this conference.

Am not saying defense doesn't matter. Am saying that offensive minded, creative coaches look to score more rather than play field-position football like GS and Ash and Lovie and Dantonio and that fails nowadays. It's not a coincidence that of the top 5 in each division (10 coaches), 8 are offense-trained. And yes, GS has punted from the +35.

Am not saying defense doesn't matter. Am saying that offensive minded, creative coaches look to score more rather than play field-position football like GS and Ash and Lovie and Dantonio and that fails nowadays. It's not a coincidence that of the top 5 in each division (10 coaches), 8 are offense-trained. And yes, GS has punted from the +35.
So have Belechik and Parcells so stop saying it you seem petty and far from objective in your commentary. Your good points are lost on me because your end game is to smear the only coach who has done a good job here. That sucks.

if you want to be reasonable I will keep talking Football. I think OSU has a good offense. PSU is pretty good and so is Minny. The rest of the BIG teams who are good including those 3 all of good or great defenses. Iowa, Michigan, Wisconsin, Michigan St, all good or very good on Defense. They all run the ball. OSU is the only team in those top half teams that plays wide open Offense. They are the best team which is what I said to begin with. The trend may be changing but I still am watching some pretty boring Defensive slug fests in the BIG. That’s because a great D can throttle a great offense like Clemson did to Bama last year and Bama did to Clemson a few years ago. They are both great on both sides of the ball so that I agree is needed to get to the Top. A solid team like 2005-2015 can get us to bowl games every year: I think we start there and get a great OC after we get back to that level. I don’t care who our HC is. We need great coordinators too.

I got to Ryan talking about Brian Leonard and then I had a problem with tape. Anyone fill me in on last 5 minutes?

Baby...not smearing, just suggesting that his brand of football isn't what works best in today's game (college or pro). Can he raise us to 'average', say Top 60 ? Sure. Can he raise us to equal Indiana like he equaled UCONN and USF ? Sure. But is that the goal ?

Any time you're making a $20 or $30 million investment, you better do your research/due diligence. If you don't, you don't belong in the AD position. Hopefully, Hobbs has learned that.

In the end, this is business decision. Just like firing Ash. If Hobbs is able to keep emotion out of it (when firing Ash), he should be able to do the same with hiring the next coach.

Indiana hasn't been to the Rose Bowl in 50+ years. So what are realistic goals ? And do we need to pay more than 3 million a year to reach the goals ?

if a business decision, I say no.

Was very impressed with Ryan Hart. So well spoken and likeable on the air. I agree with him 100% about looking for someone with Greg-esque qualities. I do wish you guys pressed him on that a little bit to clarify what qualities in Greg he specifically liked.

Me personally, I'm looking for someone that will embrace RU. Someone that can get immediate buy-in from prospective recruits and current players. And someone that is driven to work towards those goals by living and breathing Rutgers Football. Does it have to be a big name? No. But is should be someone that has a big personality with the potential to be one of those big names down the road. A behind the scenes grinder is probably not the right fit.

ADVERTISEMENT