ADVERTISEMENT

Saban: We were 2nd in recruiting last year. A&M was first. A&M bought every player on their team.

I don’t really understand the mentality behind that. I’m happy to kick in a bit towards RUFB and MBB, which I enjoy watching even without winning championships. But while I think it would awesome to see the teams win a championship, it’s never going to be worth boatloads of money to me.

It's Texas. Football is an absolute religion down there, where people live and die by how their team does. Denigrating someone else's chosen team can end up in physical violence. I remember when I lived down there you'd have fights in HS over Texas/Texas A&M.

Public statement so he can claim moral high ground. HE never paid anyone, but his assistants and booster buddies…

On one of the Boardwalk sports podcasts, they interviewed a poster here, kyk, and IIRC, for him, he likened it to being the general manager of a sports team, by buying in to secure the best recruits for your team. I don't really see the appeal of it either.

The discussion starts at about 23 minutes.

I suppose that if I were a billionaire, then the meaning of ”kicking in a bit“ would imply something more substantive than what it means now. But my relative spending priorities would not change.

It's Texas. Football is an absolute religion down there, where people live and die by how their team does. Denigrating someone else's chosen team can end up in physical violence. I remember when I lived down there you'd have fights in HS over Texas/Texas A&M.
I’ve spent time in TX. So I’m aware of that. I actually wound up in a fight with an obnoxious Dallas Cowboys fan while watching a game at a bar/restaurant just outside Dallas. Mostly because I was cheering for the other team, although it’s remotely possible I may have baited him into it.

I’m just saying I don’t really get it. As you say, it’s a religion. But I don’t really get religious worship either. Or worship of anything, really. I understand that lots of others do the worship thing and are somehow comforted by it. But the why lies beyond my understanding, I guess.

God clearly designed me without the worship gene. But perhaps he gave me extra love genes to compensate. 🙂

If you had enough money to burn and wanted to be the big swinging d*ck with your friends, who are also multimillionaire fans of the same University's football team. No better way to brag, then to show them which thoroughbred you just bought for Dear Olde U.

P.S. I just set you up there don't disappoint.
I need a bigger hint. 😀

I just think there are probably far better ways to impress people than buying atheletes. Like buying new wings for children’s cancer research hospitals or, establishing trusts to care for those incapable of caring for themselves, or, you know, keeping of lots hookers and blow dealers gainfully employed and off the unemployment or welfare rolls.

Last edited:
I think Nick is complaining because as crazy as Alabama boosters are they have no where near the financial resources that the Texas schools have. No way Alabama can compete with money now being out in the open. I think Nick might actually be worried that he will not have that under the table financial edge anymore.

I think Nick is complaining because as crazy as Alabama boosters are they have no where near the financial resources that the Texas schools have. No way Alabama can compete with money now being out in the open. I think Nick might actually be worried that he will not have that under the table financial edge anymore.
I think Nick's going crazy because he doesn't want his boosters having an even bigger say in what he does. He's got to schmooze these guys egos even more now. Now they'll want to know how their bought and paid for thoroughbred is doing or why isn't he getting into the game. NIL boosters now become de facto General Managers.

Reactions: RU from Jersey
I agree with both of you and I don't think it's holier than thou attitude. People just don't care as much about it for a number of reasons. Maybe exodus to smaller private schools or spending money on pro sports, etc. A Giants season ticketholder may sink disposable income into keeping family legacy season tix, then maybe attend a couple of RU games or other college games when they can.
Exactly, also being in such a transient state, like New Jersey does not help!

Not the "more to do" argument again.

We're talking about billionaires. I'm gonna say they can find other things to do besides football if they wanted.
True, but don't discount what is likely to go on in a state like Nebraska. Yes the biggest 🍎 cart upsetter will be very rich well connected people, but at some schools, you will see many charitable fans, whose sheer numbers will make up much of the difference. Say well to do small to medium business men.

Reactions: fsg2
Yes we’re so above the rest of those schools in what is viewed as better priorities. Every Rutgers grad I have worked with or known over 40+ years always ( and there were many) took pride when we won or accomplished something in academia. It’s called wealthy but cheap. Better today but I give credit to those wealthy who respond to Rutgers in academics and sports with $$$$. Thankfully in 2022 we have more than back in the 70’s thru early 2000’s. All work and no play is a truism for all.
Times are a changing . We take greater pride in athletic accomplishments . That’s why we have message board for mens basketball and not sociology midterms

Reactions: RUBOB72
No different going back to the SMU Pony Express days. I have to admit, I loved watching that team play even though it was completely bought. It broke up the same old, same old college football on TV when I was a kid.
Yep..Eric Dickerson got a nice new car to play for SMU.

Children will go hungry in Alabama because daddy and momma will make those payments to keep Alabama at the top of the food chain. They will keep those rickety old cars for a few more years if that is what is needed to support the Tide.

This will be an interesting season, especially A&M versus Bama on October 8th. I am now calling that game the inaugural “Money Bowl” shoot out!

All true. I was going on history and where we stack up in the BIG in alumni giving. I am holding out some hope someone like our AD ombudsmen, can find "partnerships" with some Wall Street big wigs, so to speak. For it is the only way, this does not get ugly for us, IMO.

LOL. Not a chance.

Reactions: RU2131 and TM94goRU
LOL. Not a chance.
Wow… I wish that were true but the way things are going in the markets, supply chains and at the fuel pumps Rutgers will lose a good portion of monies they can’t afford to lose. The average John / Jane Q Public. People are going to be much tighter on giving or will curtail their philanthropic ways.

I actually feel like today’s college football is the fairest it’s ever been … you guys really think the 90s with Nebraska, Florida State, Miami etc. there was less of a gap in paying of players, cars, jobs for family, gifts etc. than there is now? Anyone watch Pony Excess on SMU?? It was the Wild West. Today with Twitter, legalities with newspapers asking for public records, etc. it’s WAYYY harder to get away with tomfoolery

Reactions: jsol_05
Children will go hungry in Alabama because daddy and momma will make those payments to keep Alabama at the top of the food chain. They will keep those rickety old cars for a few more years if that is what is needed to support the Tide.

This will be an interesting season, especially A&M versus Bama on October 8th. I am now calling that game the inaugural “Money Bowl” shoot out!
The kids might go hungry, but try as they might, Bama and fans might soon feel it's very difficult to compete with Big Oil.

Has anyone suggested to Saban that he get his players involved in t-shirt businesses and summer camps? I'm told they are super lucrative.

I imagine that since NIL is in place now. The practicalities of it will settle down OR the coaches will be screaming to put some sort of salary cap on it. The NCAA administration is milquetoast at this point but hopefully new leadership will provide some reasonable approach and guidance for future years. Can you imagine a player opting NOT to go pro until he finishes up all his NCAA eligibility because he cannot afford a pay cut?

I imagine that since NIL is in place now. The practicalities of it will settle down OR the coaches will be screaming to put some sort of salary cap on it. The NCAA administration is milquetoast at this point but hopefully new leadership will provide some reasonable approach and guidance for future years. Can you imagine a player opting NOT to go pro until he finishes up all his NCAA eligibility because he cannot afford a pay cut?
Reasonable and the NCAA go together like teeth and penis. This will not end well, although Alabama Texas A&M games are now must see TV.

Reactions: Southern Gentleman

Hasn't this been the joke for decades?
"Kentucky basketball player signs league minimum contract. Sucks to have to take a pay cut."

This is also a way NIL greatly benefits all schools.
Caleb McConnell is currently attempting to go pro. If Rutgers comes up with a better NIL deal than he could get overseas that could help keep him.

There will always be that " must have" recruit that someone will offer millions

Last edited:
Reactions: Southern Gentleman
Hasn't this been the joke for decades?
"Kentucky basketball player signs league minimum contract. Sucks to have to take a pay cut."

This is also a way NIL greatly benefits all schools.
Caleb McConnell is currently attempting to go pro. If Rutgers comes up with a better NIL deal than he could get overseas that could help keep him.
A way to level the playing field was that superstars would jump to the NFL. Now there's no reason to. And you'll get teams with 3-4-5 year starters like back in the 20th century. The talent gap is going to be HUGE. We'll see our first 100 point game sooner than you think.

It's the American Way to let money ruin everything.
At least, I think anyways, this will die down fairly quickly once some of these things get taken out for tax fraud. Right now, they are trying to set these up as non-profits and tax deductible, which I think is outrageous and Uncle Sam is gonna want his share.

At least, I think anyways, this will die down fairly quickly once some of these things get taken out for tax fraud. Right now, they are trying to set these up as non-profits and tax deductible, which I think is outrageous and Uncle Sam is gonna want his share.
College football has now become the worst of all worlds: influenced by money like a pro league but without the uniform rules and standards like a professional league. Instead the conferences get to police themselves and raid other conferences and tilt the playing field even further in their favor. Imagine the Yankees and the Red Sox without salary caps raiding the rest of the American League and leaving competing divisions a shadow of their former selves. At some point there will have to be federal governmental intervention, which is sad given how corrupt they are. But college football is worse.

College football has now become the worst of all worlds: influenced by money like a pro league but without the uniform rules and standards like a professional league. Instead the conferences get to police themselves and raid other conferences and tilt the playing field even further in their favor. Imagine the Yankees and the Red Sox without salary caps raiding the rest of the American League and leaving competing divisions a shadow of their former selves. At some point there will have to be federal governmental intervention, which is sad given how corrupt they are. But college football is worse.

Now? The couple of thousands of dollars going to a select few athletes is the sign that college football is NOW "influenced by money"?
Not 14 teams out of 130 receiving $100m a year?
Tell me again how much San Diego St. is receiving in conference payouts per year?
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...-billion-in-place-around-memorial-day.240485/

Leaving competing divisions a shadow of their former selves?
Surely you mean like the Big Ten and SEC have done, right?
The Big Ten and SEC already were the Yankees and Red Sox. It's worked out great for Rutgers.

What salary cap should be put in place for Div 1-A schools?
Pool all conference money and evenly distribute it to all Div 1-A schools?
That's a terrible idea. How much money is that going to cost Rutgers?
Even just putting a "limit" on P5 money is going to negatively effect Rutgers.

This "level playing field" pearl clutching is beyond ridiculous at this point.

Now? The couple of thousands of dollars going to a select few athletes is the sign that college football is NOW "influenced by money"?
Not 14 teams out of 130 receiving $100m a year?
Tell me again how much San Diego St. is receiving in conference payouts per year?
https://rutgers.forums.rivals.com/t...-billion-in-place-around-memorial-day.240485/

Leaving competing divisions a shadow of their former selves?
Surely you mean like the Big Ten and SEC have done, right?
The Big Ten and SEC already were the Yankees and Red Sox. It's worked out great for Rutgers.

What salary cap should be put in place for Div 1-A schools?
Pool all conference money and evenly distribute it to all Div 1-A schools?
That's a terrible idea. How much money is that going to cost Rutgers?
Even just putting a "limit" on P5 money is going to negatively effect Rutgers.

This "level playing field" pearl clutching is beyond ridiculous at this point.
Yes how ridiculous to want a level playing field in sports. Why not just change the rules so certain teams can hold or punch other players?

Yes how ridiculous to want a level playing field in sports. Why not just change the rules so certain teams can hold or punch other players?

Please define a "level playing field" then.
Should all team receive the same conference payout? Revenue sharing across Div 1-A?
Should all athletic departments be restricted to the same expenditure amount (Schools can only spend X on football each year)?

Should all alumni contributions be banned? What's the different between NIL (directly to a player) and just donating to the AD (goes directly to benefits for a player)?People have long complained that OSU/UM etc get more alumni contributions. Ban outright or pool those and evenly distribute?

Please define a "level playing field" then.
Should all team receive the same conference payout? Revenue sharing across Div 1-A?
Should all athletic departments be restricted to the same expenditure amount (Schools can only spend X on football each year)?

Should all alumni contributions be banned? What's the different between NIL (directly to a player) and just donating to the AD (goes directly to benefits for a player)?People have long complained that OSU/UM etc get more alumni contributions. Ban outright or pool those and evenly distribute?
You could level the playing field in any number of ways and it certainly does not have to be completely level. But what we have now is absurd. One conference just completely destroyed another by taking three of their best teams. Now every single remaining team has been relegated to second class status with little or no chance to really compete at the highest level. Paying players directly will only help teams that already have so many advantages. Interest in college football has been declining. Do you think cementing Alabama, Clemson and Ohio State at the top permanently is going to help that? A sports league where the vast majority of the teams have no chance to ever be champions is a joke and probably doomed to fail eventually.

Reactions: TM94goRU
ADVERTISEMENT