ADVERTISEMENT

Saban: We were 2nd in recruiting last year. A&M was first. A&M bought every player on their team.

The new landscape is not good for many schools, including Rutgers. At least until, one of us relentless Rutgers diehards, gets incredibly rich! It is all about pay for play now.

The new landscape is not good for many schools, including Rutgers. At least until, one of us relentless Rutgers diehards, gets incredibly rich! It is all about pay for play now.
We have Caliknight and some very successful people . Just check out the retirement and towns you should live in thread . We should be able to pay enough with these great fans.

Reactions: TM94goRU
We have Caliknight and some very successful people . Just check out the retirement and towns you should live in thread . We should be able to pay enough with these great fans.
All true. I was going on history and where we stack up in the BIG in alumni giving. I am holding out some hope someone like our AD ombudsmen, can find "partnerships" with some Wall Street big wigs, so to speak. For it is the only way, this does not get ugly for us, IMO.

Yikes, if even Alabama can't keep up its not good for everyone else.
Who could have foreseen this going bad? Like everything else going on in this country there was and still are no plans in place. Being STUPID the NCAA and Universities will kill the entire college system maybe sooner than later. Nothing wrong with college athletes making some money but a little common sense by leaders and administrators could go a long way in preserving the athletic dynamic.

Who could have foreseen this going bad? Like everything else going on in this country there was and still are no plans in place. Being STUPID the NCAA and Universities will kill the entire college system maybe sooner than later. Nothing wrong with college athletes making some money but a little common sense by leaders and administrators could go a long way in preserving the athletic dynamic.

Maybe that's the plan bobo

Could very well be and if it is then let the young turks figure out where and who let it fail.

Saban did not say that at all. Many schools have done that very same thing including Alabama. He literally said it is forcing Bama to think along those same lines of giving NIL deals to every top athlete they want. Guess what that’s not good for the majority of schools playing D-1 sports which includes Rutgers at this point.

He wasn’t saying that at all .What he did say is that pay for play game can become worse not for the A& M’s but schools that vaguely mimic a Rutgers and many others. He never said Alabama was innocent of pay by a 3rd party donor.

All those secret, underground booster networks he and his predecessors had to cultivate have been upstaged by above-board oil tycoons in Texas. The nerve of those people!
We all know it was going on big time, especially in the SEC. And didn't Bryce Young get a $5 million NIL deal? I mean, there needs to be some regulation, but this guy sounding the warning signal is comical.

Reactions: rurichdog
A&M’s oil daddies have been waiting 100 years for this.

Yep. My brother's an A&M grad although he's not a fan. He says the Texas alums are desperate for championships down there and will throw money by the boatload to buy them.

Yep. My brother's an A&M grad although he's not a fan. He says the Texas alums are desperate for championships down there and will throw money by the boatload to buy them.
No different going back to the SMU Pony Express days. I have to admit, I loved watching that team play even though it was completely bought. It broke up the same old, same old college football on TV when I was a kid.

Once again Saban did not say Alabama boosters never slid coin under the table to entice a recruit . He’s correct though in saying if they want to play the game then Bama will certainly play the money game. That impacts 3/4 of D-1 schools including Rutgers. We are finally seeing some successes in building and support for both academics and sports. That very easily could go away and knowing our past history anything can and usually does go wrong . The Rutgers Screw is a real thing.

I've never thought it was simply a matter of having enough rich alumni. I'm sure there are scads of Rutgers graduates who are extremely wealthy. I just don't think it's part of the culture up here in the Northeast to throw gazillions of dollars into winning football games. A typical Rutgers graduate, in my opinion, has different priorities. And it is part of the culture in other places....

I've never thought it was simply a matter of having enough rich alumni. I'm sure there are scads of Rutgers graduates who are extremely wealthy. I just don't think it's part of the culture up here in the Northeast to throw gazillions of dollars into winning football games. A typical Rutgers graduate, in my opinion, has different priorities. And it is part of the culture in other places....
Yes we’re so above the rest of those schools in what is viewed as better priorities. Every Rutgers grad I have worked with or known over 40+ years always ( and there were many) took pride when we won or accomplished something in academia. It’s called wealthy but cheap. Better today but I give credit to those wealthy who respond to Rutgers in academics and sports with $$$$. Thankfully in 2022 we have more than back in the 70’s thru early 2000’s. All work and no play is a truism for all.

But he is sort of complaining by stating they "did it the right way." He's taking a shot because he's pissed that someone else is beating him at his own game. Honestly, I can't stand either school, just think it's funny hearing this coming from him, that's all.

You have to take it for what he ‘s saying openly. It will if not controlled destroy the college sports world. Maybe that’s a good thing for everyone and for those athletes. They can get regular jobs or pay their own way in college. That’ll work right? They’ll all appreciate life as it once was … amateurism.

Saban is an asshole with this crap. Says he never bought a player. Bullcrap. He had his QB get a $1million plus NIL deal last year without taking a snap on the field. He looks like a total loser with that statement.

Reactions: mdh2003 and RUPete
Saban is an asshole with this crap. Says he never bought a player. Bullcrap. He had his QB get a $1million plus NIL deal last year without taking a snap on the field. He looks like a total loser with that statement.
Bryce Young got the NIL deal after the enrollment.

This, plus he's signalling the Bama boosters to put up more money without actually telling them to do so.
This is like his comments against no huddle offenses. People thought he was complaining, but he was warning college football. He adopted the no huddle and destroyed teams with it. The same thing is going to happen with NIL. You know Bama is on the cutting edge with this.

Here you go, Coach Saban. Add these to your marching band:

smallest-violin-funny.gif
spongebob-mr.gif
violin-tiny.gif

Reactions: RUPete
True. It cost more to live in the Northeast/ Mid-Atlantic, and there is more to do. It certain places, their college team is all there is.

True. It cost more to live in the Northeast/ Mid-Atlantic, and there is more to do. It certain places, their college team is all there is.
I agree with both of you and I don't think it's holier than thou attitude. People just don't care as much about it for a number of reasons. Maybe exodus to smaller private schools or spending money on pro sports, etc. A Giants season ticketholder may sink disposable income into keeping family legacy season tix, then maybe attend a couple of RU games or other college games when they can.

Reactions: TM94goRU
Jimbo went all scorched earth on his response…i love it! The hate is on full throttle.

funny how Saban didn’t have a problem with his QB having some giant deal last year.

He better get used to it. A&M and Texas (soon to be SEC) are school full of FAR richer boosters.

NIL…remember, it’s all about equality!! 😆😆😆😆

The fear is real!

He says the Texas alums are desperate for championships down there and will throw money by the boatload to buy them.
I don’t really understand the mentality behind that. I’m happy to kick in a bit towards RUFB and MBB, which I enjoy watching even without winning championships. But while I think it would awesome to see the teams win a championship, it’s never going to be worth boatloads of money to me.

Be an entirely different thing if it were me competing. But as a fan, someone looking to be entertained, it’s way down on my list of spending priorities.

Not the "more to do" argument again.

We're talking about billionaires. I'm gonna say they can find other things to do besides football if they wanted.

Honestly speaking the long term possibilities in the college sports D-1 buyers market will ultimately hurt struggling programs such as Rutgers. You either compete with them or say it ain’t worth the effort. We have made incremental gains but most knew this would happen at some point. Can we hang on and win a few B1G titles ?

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Honestly speaking the long term possibilities in the college sports D-1 buyers market will ultimately hurt struggling programs such as Rutgers. You either compete with them or say it ain’t worth the effort. We have made incremental gains but most knew this would happen at some point. Can we hang on and win a few B1G titles ?
Absolutely right. We wasted many years by not capitalizing on the NY market, back when being in the largest media market should have mattered. It’s a new ball game now. At least the NY market got is into the B1G.

I don’t really understand the mentality behind that. I’m happy to kick in a bit towards RUFB and MBB, which I enjoy watching even without winning championships. But while I think it would awesome to see the teams win a championship, it’s never going to be worth boatloads of money to me.

Be an entirely different thing if it were me competing. But as a fan, someone looking to be entertained, it’s way down on my list of spending priorities.
On one of the Boardwalk sports podcasts, they interviewed a poster here, kyk, and IIRC, for him, he likened it to being the general manager of a sports team, by buying in to secure the best recruits for your team. I don't really see the appeal of it either.

The discussion starts at about 23 minutes.

Reactions: mildone

If you had enough money to burn and wanted to be the big swinging d*ck with your friends, who are also multimillionaire fans of the same University's football team. No better way to brag, then to show them which thoroughbred you just bought for Dear Olde U.

P.S. I just set you up there don't disappoint.

Reactions: Plum Street
ADVERTISEMENT