ADVERTISEMENT

Sadly ...The inability to see the big picture has made a lot of our fans out of control

Scarlet Shack

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2004
Truly...the way some of you act...you would think we were under .500

Get over yourselves

I was one of the few people that predicted us to dance in September and October ...and even as one of the most optimistic ...predicted us then as a 11 seed

Go look it up

Most of you were saying “baby steps, winning season and NIT” in September

If there was a poll on October 15th that said

“Would you sign up RIGHT now to start the season 18-10, 9-8 in the big ten, in a year that the big ten will place at least 8, and as many as 10 teams in the dance. Oh, by the way, in the 8 confrence losses, 7 of them are in single digits and one was a 11 points, but down 2 with 5 to go. And, oh, by the way, we would lose geo Baker for a 3 game stretch with him being reduced to role player for almost a month?”

The yes vote would have been 95-100%

Stop panicking, stop with the ridic posts, enjoy the big picture, appreciate what we have done, get behind these guys, and let’s finish this and get to the NCAA

Beat Penn State

Get over yourselves

I was one of the few people that predicted us to dance in September and October ...and even as one of the most optimistic ...predicted us then as a 11 seed

Go look it up

“Would you sign up RIGHT now to start the season 18-10, 9-8 in the big ten, in a year that the big ten will place at least 8, and as many as 10 teams in the dance. Oh, by the way, in the 8 confrence losses, 7 of them are in single digits and one was a 11 points, but down 2 with 5 to go. And, oh, by the way, we would lose geo Baker for a 3 game stretch with him being reduced to role player for almost a month?”

Stop panicking, stop with the ridic posts, enjoy the big picture, appreciate what we have done, get behind these guys, and let’s finish this and get to the NCAA

Beat Penn State
Great post and many of us have been saying similar things. Unfortunately, we can't fix stupid and trolling has become a favored activity for the narcissists amongst us.

Get over yourselves

Go look it up

Phooey! I said “4 years” when everyone else was saying “6”!! “September” pfffft :Chop banana:

...SERIOUSLY though excellent post!

It is the way the season played out. Sure fans before the season, would have loved what our record is right now..... but the majority of the success came through the first 2/3 of the season, and some disappointment thereafter. We fans get greedy and want the success to continue

Also remember that prognosticators had us with over a 90% chance of making the tourney not too long ago. If we were to miss out, there is that also

It has been a phenomenal season. Completely successful.
It entertained us.
The RAC is Back.
Made every game important to the end.
It also importantly confirmed our trust in Coach Pickiell for now and in the future.
The team is mostly young-sophmores-unless you have 5 star one and dones-teams like us dance when they become juniors/seniors.
Next year will be better, we can look forward to next year.
First time I felt we belonged in the Big Ten and felt genuine respect from the BTN announcers and coaches. They loved us being competitive.
Most likeable team I have seen-all seem like good guys.

For the record, Shack's preseason prediction...
Standing by my prediction

10-10/20-11

Win one game in the big ten tournament ...

21-12...

We sweat, sweat and bac will be pounding numbers for 48 hours straight

...and on March 15, 2019...we get called as the 11 seed for the ncaa tournament in the first four game to play the Cincinnati bearcats

We prove that we belong in the dance with an essentially road victory in the first four NCAA game over Cincinnati in Dayton

We then pull a mild upset in the 6/11 game ...let’s call it LSU....before being denied a sweet 16 appearance in a close to loss third seeded Gonzaga

23-13...5 starters returning ....

2020-2021 preseason number 15

Here's mine...
9-2 OOC
10-10 B1G
2-1 B1G tourney
21-13 Total

Among the 10 B1G wins, if five of the victories are against teams that finish in the conference top 5, we'll be dancing. If not, we'll be in the NIT. Then again...

tenor.gif

The time for level-setting is when a season is over. Everyone knows what they predicted pre-season, and at end of season they will compare results to that prediction, and it will slightly vary for each person.

But right now in season with so much at stake there is no problem with ratcheting up the pressure.

It is the way the season played out. Sure fans before the season, would have loved what our record is right now..... but the majority of the success came through the first 2/3 of the season, and some disappointment thereafter. We fans get greedy and want the success to continue

Also remember that prognosticators had us with over a 90% chance of making the tourney not too long ago. If we were to miss out, there is that also

we still have a >80% chance to make it

It has been a phenomenal season. Completely successful.
It entertained us.
The RAC is Back.
Made every game important to the end.
It also importantly confirmed our trust in Coach Pickiell for now and in the future.
The team is mostly young-sophmores-unless you have 5 star one and dones-teams like us dance when they become juniors/seniors.
Next year will be better, we can look forward to next year.
First time I felt we belonged in the Big Ten and felt genuine respect from the BTN announcers and coaches. They loved us being competitive.
Most likeable team I have seen-all seem like good guys.
This 100% especially about the sophomore part. Some saying that freshman to sophomore is when the biggest improvement takes place and that is true. However, you can't replace what seniors provide as compared to sophomores. Even though some don't like to acknowledge it, this team is young. What they have gone through/will go through this year will be invaluable for next year and the future as a whole.

Get over yourselves

Go look it up

Beat Penn State
I will say it’s not a lot. It’s a handful of vocal idiots. People should ignore them.

Before we even played any games several of us stated that the end of the season was extremely difficult. I said that the final 7 games were brutal and they certainly are. We did defeat Illinois by 15 but every game is just so difficult. Four of the final 7 were on the road and the 3 at home were against Maryland, Michigan and Illinois who are all outstanding teams. They all have been in the Top 25. Many of those who are complaining just love to complain. I don't think they have looked at the entire picture. I know I still believe we will make the tournament but i will feel much better if we can get a win at Penn State tomorrow,

Get over yourselves

Go look it up

Beat Penn State
after 30 years and being a game away from NCAAs,finishing the way team and staff is headed is not a puff your chest out moment,-IF - it finishes this way its trending.
National picture to recruits is the NCAA drought for RU marches on..why go there?

Reactions: Plum Street
we still have a >80% chance to make it

You know, I don't know if these stats are just based on our current record, or are they also taking into account the caliber of opponents left on the schedule. I hate to be pessimistic, but we probably are underdogs here on out, so is the 80% figuring in a possible lose out
The rest of the way? The odds of getting in have to drop below 80%
With that happening, one would think

It considers the possibility of losing 4 more straight games, but that probability is under 20%. Most of the situations where that doesn't happen, we get in.

Reactions: 216 Row E
But you need to lose yourself in the moment. We own it. We can't let it go. We may only have one shot. We can't miss this chance to blow this opportunity. For some, this is once in their lifetimes. :Wink:

You never know when we'll be back again. Anything can happen (at Rutgers).

We want 2020 to be very different than 1999.

Lots of BS in this thread . Team did a great job of putting itself in this position to be a tournament team as of last week. Now if they choke it away, that’s supposed to be looked on positively ? Hell no . Get it done now and lock up the bid. Not guaranteed anything next year . 1991 was a long time ago. We have to get the gorilla off our backs

I mean look, if they lose out they will have lost the last 6 games, 7 of the last 8, 9 of the last 11, and likely missed the tournament by one game.

I would be comfortable calling that a pretty epic collapse regardless of what preseason expectations were. My preseason expectations, fwiw, was something in her bubble area so they wouldn’t even be exceeding by much at that point.

that said, I don’t expect that to happen. Maybe let’s not castigate them unless it actually does.

you started a thread saying our coach is overrated. the guy who is up for coach of the year.

it's the very definition of trolling
It definitely is not.

If RU finishes 10th or 11th in the league, do you still think it’s a troll post? A coach up for coach of the year that finishes 10th/11th in the league? Pretty sure that’s the definition of overrated.

For the record, Shack's preseason prediction...

Here's mine...
may both your predictions come true! REALLY.

But I can admit I've choked enough in my life to know it doesn't feel good. And IF we don't finish this and miss this huge opportunity THEY positioned themselves in. It shouldn't feel great. I'm sick and tired of "almost" and "close".

Would we have over-achieved? Yes!
Would we have under-achieved? Yes! lol.

OK, now let's go win us a basketball game and put this behind us and get re-united.

Last edited:
Lots of BS in this thread . Team did a great job of putting itself in this position to be a tournament team as of last week. Now if they choke it away, that’s supposed to be looked on positively ? Hell no . Get it done now and lock up the bid. Not guaranteed anything next year . 1991 was a long time ago. We have to get the gorilla off our backs

You can be critical and disappointed without sounding like a moron, like you just started watching Rutgers Basketball (or basketball in general) a month ago, or a whiney complainer about everything.

There’s a big difference between the two.

"Expectations change" is the very definition of shifting the goalposts.

Not exactly.
Preseason expectations are for the most part completely uninformed (including on this board).

Say the football team starts out 6-0 this year.
That meets most expectations of a bowl game.
If they then lose 6 straight you think Schiano is going to say "hey we met preaeason expectations. Everything is fine?"

Last edited:
To me, fans who insist we're already in the tournament or try to intimidate the board into believing RU only needs one more win are just as bad as those who say dumb things like "Pikiell is overrated." Unfortunately this is the internet, where extreme points of view often dominate discussions.

Reactions: KevH and Rutgers56
To me, fans who insist we're already in the tournament or try to intimidate the board into believing RU only needs one more win are just as bad as those who say dumb things like "Pikiell is overrated." Unfortunately this is the internet, where extreme points of view often dominate discussions.

there are several bracketologists who say we're in already...that's not just message board fodder

I happen to believe that we need 1 more and we're in

how you equivocate these 2 points - prognostication based on facst/data/history/analysis and this "pike is overrated" tomfoolery is beyond me...

Not exactly.
Preseason expectations are for the most part completely uninformed (including on this board).

Say the football team starts out 6-0 this year.
That meets most expectations of a bowl game.
If they then lose 6 straight you think Schiano is going to say "hey we met preaeason expectations. Everything is fine?"

If you define 6-6 as a successful season going in, then feel 6-6 is a failure at the end of the year.... that's absolutely a shifting of the goalposts, and a "but what have you done for me lately?" attitude. It's also setting yourself up for perpetual disappointment. The next step for those whiniest of basketball fans is not being happy with just making it to the NCAA tournament, but then claiming it's a failure if we don't win our first game..... and if we win the first, that it's then a failure not to get out of the first weekend... etc, etc.

This has been a great season so far - it's the highest win total in 14 years and the highest conference win total in 21 years, we're a lock for our first postseason in 14 years, and it's still a pretty good bet we make the NCAA tournament for the first time in 29 years.... all with 4+ games left to play. The question now is "how much farther can we go?" not "what can we do to not make this season a failure/disappointment?"

It considers the possibility of losing 4 more straight games, but that probability is under 20%. Most of the situations where that doesn't happen, we get in.

The big question........
For the rest of the season do we think like we will play like the team since January 20th or the team the entire season.

If it is the former your probabilities are off.

Congrats to Geo for scoring 1000 at RU. It will be a tough home stretch.

You are clueless buddy. They are 103 bracketologists now. We are in the tourney in 101 of the 103 brackets . You chose to follow the 2 and you jumped on the Palm bracket that now has us in the First Four. It is not credible. He has West Virginia and Butler as 5 and 6 seeds but Rutgers in the First Four despite being in the consensus best conference in the country. Do you know what those teams have done lately? I am not going to tell you except to say look it up, and to say they have lost a lot lately, and been blown out. You comparing people citing the actual facts and metrics saying we are in the tourney and still comfortably with your delusional negative freaking opinion based on no facts is just silly. There is another word for it, but I would rather not go there. Do you think Illinois losing 4 out of 5 games recently should put them out of the tourney ? How about Michigan State losing 3 in a row a week or so ago? How about every Big 10 team at the top of the conference , that has lost at least 3 in a row except us or 4 out of 5 games. This is our hard stretch.

ADVERTISEMENT