ADVERTISEMENT

Same old Same old

These players need to grow up with a dream to play at Rutgers like they do these other schools. If we can win big now it will set us up nicely for the class of 2025.

We are a small state dominated by two cities that are not even in our state. Kids in New Jersey have a different world view than those in other states, we are more mobile and are used to traveling out of state. A lot of kids in our state want to experience life outside of our state. If you grow up in the middle of Ohio, Ohio is your life and it only gets worse the farther south and west you go.

This OP is very misleading. We are in a good position for like four of the top 15 in NJ, plus a top 10 already committed. Then we are in it for another four or five out of state that are ranked as high or higher than the majority of the top 10-15. Things are trending way up. This is not like last year.

Last edited:
Yes, it sucks but NJ is such a different state than most others. You go to some states and it seems that more than half the state is 5th or 6th generation still living there. NJ as some have alluded, already travel to NYC/Philly for work and both cities are almost thought of as the two biggest cities IN NJ. And I would almost bet that it may be one of the states with the lowest % of 3 generation or more who stayed living here. Hell, almost everyone in NJ is looking to retire elsewhere.
On the other hand, let's get our asses to a bowl game this year and get a few strong years of winning/bowls/beating teams like OSU/Pedd Stae a few times. This is a bandwagon state. We start winning and all of a sudden it will be like the 200k people that say they were at the L'Ville game...

Schiano was starting to get top NJ talent, RU needs to win and have the right leader to sell the program. GS proved it can be done.
Might want to give Ash the same time to regroup this program that Schiano had to build from scratch. However everything goes out the window of Rutgers dont win 5, 6 games this year.

Reactions: #1 RUFan
Olmstead , Wallace and Hickman were only waiting for their "Dream " schools to offer...they gave the obligatory New Jersey reply...." I really LOVE Rutgers and the new energy , staff, blah....blah ...blah...let's see how many of the top 40 in-state players we can legitimately can sign ...I'll say 10 max....of those I would predict most will be above the mid teens...If you don't win , go post season and continue to improve the facilities we will be no better than 10-14 in conference ...Forget about our division...just for emphasis...The Top 2 O lineman ( BIG ) type are once again going to other schools with much more tradition and assuredly going to post season play...If we don't get to a bowl game this year ... next season 2019 will be Ash's last...Just hope Wise sticks with us and we can pick up those players who actually have a connection to RU.

Reactions: cRURah
And if we get Nelms, Bunch, Mckenzie and Ugwu that is like 4 players in top 20 of the state. Can we see how recruiting goes for this year?

Reactions: czxqa
Might want to give Ash the same time to regroup this program that Schiano had to build from scratch. However everything goes out the window of Rutgers dont win 5, 6 games this year.
Winning is the best way to recruit, but honestly, I haven't seen anything from Ash to make me think he is a Schiano-like recruiter.....yet.

Reactions: RUaMoose
Schiano started getting players that he had relationships with for 3-4 years. This is year 3 for Ash. Let’s see who he recruits once he has a chance to establish 3-4 year relationships with recruits.

Yes, it sucks but NJ is such a different state than most others. You go to some states and it seems that more than half the state is 5th or 6th generation still living there. NJ as some have alluded, already travel to NYC/Philly for work and both cities are almost thought of as the two biggest cities IN NJ. And I would almost bet that it may be one of the states with the lowest % of 3 generation or more who stayed living here. Hell, almost everyone in NJ is looking to retire elsewhere.
On the other hand, let's get our asses to a bowl game this year and get a few strong years of winning/bowls/beating teams like OSU/Pedd Stae a few times. This is a bandwagon state. We start winning and all of a sudden it will be like the 200k people that say they were at the L'Ville game...
Spot on. Except the L’Ville game was closer to 300k easily

Every time this argument is had I say the same thing. Could care less where we get the recruits. NJ, NY South Dakota does not matter. We just need to change the culture with kids who want to be here. Then we put a winning product out there and you will be able to land more top talent in all the states, not just Jersey

The top kids want to go to elite programs. We will get a few of them here and there but will need to build the program with 3 star guys and develop them.

Olmstead , Wallace and Hickman were only waiting for their "Dream " schools to offer[/B]...they gave the obligatory New Jersey reply...." I really LOVE Rutgers and the new energy , staff, blah....blah ...blah...let's see how many of the top 40 in-state players we can legitimately can sign ...I'll say 10 max....of those I would predict most will be above the mid teens...If you don't win , go post season and continue to improve the facilities we will be no better than 10-14 in conference ...Forget about our division...just for emphasis...The Top 2 O lineman ( BIG ) type are once again going to other schools with much more tradition and assuredly going to post season play...If we don't get to a bowl game this year ... next season 2019 will be Ash's last...Just hope Wise sticks with us and we can pick up those players who actually have a connection to RU.

Wallace must have wet dreams.

Just build the program with the good, solid players. Get enough of those... and coaching them up... that's when the 4s and 5s start coming. It's going to take some time. The same way this program was built 18 years ago

Reactions: koleszar
What really bugs me is that it seems like more of the top jersey kids are signing with our B1G division mates. Maybe that’s not a fact but it really seems treacherous now.

Did you say the same thing after Schiano's second year?

While I was a Rutgers fan, I didn't follow the ins and outs between Shea and Schiano. But I did witness the disastrous defections of the Barkley class and watched the slide continue down the slippery slope under Flood. Schiano promoted the program and got me hooked into Rutgers football even more. I feel that Ash is promoting the program, changing the culture, and improving the program. Much the same that Schiano did in his first few years. So in essence, the answer to your question is yes, I did say the same thing in Schiano's first or second year. In fact, as my son was three years old at the time, I got my first set of season tickets based on Schiano's vision. Those two seats have turned into eight these days and my son is just a loyal fan to the team as I am.

verall
Did you say the same thing after Schiano's second year?
I started to doubt Schiano in his fourth year and think he should be replaced
The next year proved I was wrong to give up on him and not realize the time it would take for him having to change a mediocre program into a winner and get HS HCs and recruits to buy into his vision for RU FB.

Ash has to get HS Coaches and talent to buy into his vision, it won't easy and will take more time than 3 years.
I think Hobbs realizes Ash has a big obstacle
the way RU FB is being looked at now, from when Schiano left, and that's why he'll give Ash a little extra time to build RU FB back to a respectable program that talented recruits
will be willing to play for and not use as a back-up program .rioghtnow I don't expect the top NJ HS talent to look RU's way when it comes to where they plan to go, but if/when Ash shows he can have RU play competitively every game against the best with lesser overall talent, they'll start coming

Well I was 1 of those 200,000 at Louisville game

Someone here.. maybe even Kbee.. called SG good as gone in year 3. Or maybe Kbee had the quote in his sig to embarrass the other guy.. Kbee and Treeman seem to come to mind.. not sure who said it and who quoted it..

But GS coming in.. he had some juice ("stain" someone here called it).. because he was DC at number 1 Miami and Miami had a lot of fans in this area. So when he and his guys worked overtime to visit every HS, every year.. and he had that big Junior Day gatherings here at Rutgers and expressed his vision of winning at Rutgers.. he got some people listening.. not enough to win championships.. but enough that we COULD have gone to a bowl game in year 4, save for a drunk driver taking out our secondary depth. And we did got to a bowl in year 5 and win one in year 6.

Our problem then was that by year 3 and year 4.. a lot of doubters came around.. and recruiting slacked.. and during the great 2006 season... most of the players we needed to improve the program had plans to go elsewhere.. some were swayed.. like Anthony Davis.. he really really wanted to stay home and he could see that Rutgers under GS can get him to the NFL. But then in 2007.. well, we had a failure based on a good coach spending all summer prepping to beat Schiano's defense. And a good chunk of the air went out of the program, recruiting-wise. We couldn't really cash in on that 2006 season... because we really needed consecutive years like that to make a big jump... and then we had the conference problems as ESPN and the ACC struck at Big East football gain and again.

In the Big Ten, should we have back-to-back great years.. even if it doesn't mean championships.. we should be able to make a big jump in recruiting off of that. But now we have other issues.. like less kids playing football and people flooding out of the state being replaced by immigrants... I think our best bet is to recruit nationwide.. find a way to do that.

Someone here.. maybe even Kbee.. called SG good as gone in year 3. Or maybe Kbee had the quote in his sig to embarrass the other guy.. Kbee and Treeman seem to come to mind.. not sure who said it and who quoted it..

But GS coming in.. he had some juice ("stain" someone here called it).. because he was DC at number 1 Miami and Miami had a lot of fans in this area. So when he and his guys worked overtime to visit every HS, every year.. and he had that big Junior Day gatherings here at Rutgers and expressed his vision of winning at Rutgers.. he got some people listening.. not enough to win championships.. but enough that we COULD have gone to a bowl game in year 4, save for a drunk driver taking out our secondary depth. And we did got to a bowl in year 5 and win one in year 6.

Our problem then was that by year 3 and year 4.. a lot of doubters came around.. and recruiting slacked.. and during the great 2006 season... most of the players we needed to improve the program had plans to go elsewhere.. some were swayed.. like Anthony Davis.. he really really wanted to stay home and he could see that Rutgers under GS can get him to the NFL. But then in 2007.. well, we had a failure based on a good coach spending all summer prepping to beat Schiano's defense. And a good chunk of the air went out of the program, recruiting-wise. We couldn't really cash in on that 2006 season... because we really needed consecutive years like that to make a big jump... and then we had the conference problems as ESPN and the ACC struck at Big East football gain and again.

In the Big Ten, should we have back-to-back great years.. even if it doesn't mean championships.. we should be able to make a big jump in recruiting off of that. But now we have other issues.. like less kids playing football and people flooding out of the state being replaced by immigrants... I think our best bet is to recruit nationwide.. find a way to do that.

It was me quoting Treeman: "To me it really looks like GS is a lame duck coach already. That's how I see it from where I am." in 2003....or words to that effect.
I actually was blacklisted from this site for a short time until I agreed to not use the quote any more. Thanks, John.
Treeman is long gone. He posts on TOS.....The Grease Truck Boards.
BTW, I've always thought that GS was the best thing that ever happened here. Sure he could have done better. But I haven't seen anyone else come close to accomplishing here what he did. I hope that Ash can do so. I also hope that if he does accomplish things here he sticks around for a while like GS did and doesn't get lured away by a bigger program and a bigger paycheck once he has turned things around.

Winning is the best way to recruit, but honestly, I haven't seen anything from Ash to make me think he is a Schiano-like recruiter.....yet.

Schiano's best class only happened after Weinstandt got fired. We picked up like 5 or 6 started from that.

The OP is only interested in getting the top 5 plauers. I guess Clark and Melton would count but like me I'd like to see at least 2 of the top 5 every year. These guys will get offers from anyone they want so it has to be their #1 dream school from at least 8th grade. What will make RU that dream school? Big wins, national buzz, buzz at school. Plus it helps if third parents love Rutgers.

Some states like Ohio have generations of buckeye fans who have no affiliation with OSU. Same with Irish. Iowa, NC, Wisconsin, On and on... NJ? Not so much. All boils down to one solution. Gotta win big.

Reactions: scarletschuyler
It was me quoting Treeman: "To me it really looks like GS is a lame duck coach already. That's how I see it from where I am." in 2003....or words to that effect.
I actually was blacklisted from this site for a short time until I agreed to not use the quote any more. Thanks, John.
Unreal. The ex-mods were a real piece of work.

Some of you guys are too obsessed on star rankings.

If you have a good HC/staff (X&O) who can identify talent and develop them you will be fine.
As another Rutgers fan stated, you can build a successful program with 3-star guys.

For example, I am surprised on how many of the Steelers #1 Draft Picks did not even come from a Power 5 Program.

Steelers No. 1 Draft Picks.

Joe Green/DT - North Texas State
Terry Bradshaw/QB - Louisiana Tech
Frank Lewis/WR - Grambling
Robin Cole/LB - New Mexico
Ron Johnson/CB - Eastern Michigan
Louis Lipps/WR - Southern Mississippi
Aaron Jones/DE - Eastern Kentucky
Eric Green/TE - Liberty
Jamain Steephens/OT - North Carolina A&T
Troy Edwards/WR - Louisiana Tech
Ben Roethlisberger/QB - Miami (Ohio)

Narduzzi is building the Pitt Program with 3-star recruits and we can play competitive football with anyone and Rutgers can do the same.

(IMHO) Pitt got the best QB out of NJ (2017) Kenny Pickett (Rivals 3-star) fantastic get.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: scarletschuyler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT