ADVERTISEMENT

Sanders From Three Point Land

Johnson is not lighting it up either 6-28, 21%. Their assist to TO ratio is pretty good tho. 2 & 2.5 for CS.

1 for 15. Shooting 30% overall against the weakest part of our schedule. Concentrate on being the PG and playing defense. Maybe the touch will come back, but don't count on it as the quality of our opposition increases. He is going to hurt the team if he tries to shoot his way out of the slump. We have other scorers this year, unlike last year.
TL

Reactions: drewbagel423
Corey has been working after practices and late nights trying to correct his mechanics.

He's too gifted a scorer to be like this all season. His offense will click sooner rather than later

Is he trying to change the mechanics he had last year? If he's trying to improve his overall mechanics/form, it makes a little more sense why there'd be such a dropoff as he's getting used to it.

Two things here

1.) Part of the TEAM's percentage will go up as time goes on in a new offense on learning WHEN and WHERE the higher percentage shot will come from....in a new offense

2;) There are SOME guys that "temporarily" lose their shooting "feel" when they really hit the upper body weights hard. From what I see of Corey's shooting form, even off the bounce, I think Corey may be one of those guys...and that will come around with repetition

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
Bad start, or not. The kid needs to know who he is, and an above the arch shooter is not it. He needs to understand what strength's he does have, speed, quickness, and passing IQ. His shot is, going to the basket, and the 10/12 shot.

Our team is lacking players who can catch and shoot a jumper. The only one who seems capable of this is Thiam. You can't be shooting 3's off the dribble and expect a high percentage.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Two things here

1.) Part of the TEAM's percentage will go up as time goes on in a new offense on learning WHEN and WHERE the higher percentage shot will come from....in a new offense

2;) There are SOME guys that "temporarily" lose their shooting "feel" when they really hit the upper body weights hard. From what I see of Corey's shooting form, even off the bounce, I think Corey may be one of those guys...and that will come around with repetition
This is my only real explanation, too. He bulked up and is still feeling out how to shoot with his new frame and arm strength. It's interesting that some of the best shooters in the world have leaner arms, relatively speaking, like steph curry. I bet sanders could hold his own against curry in an arm wrestling match, but that doesn't help him shoot.

I don't think it's an accident that Corey is leading the team in minutes for an HC who rations minutes quite soundly. His shooting is certainly off to start the season but a 9ppg/5apg/4rpg start from a PG is not awful. Especially for a team that doesn't shoot particularly well so you know his assists aren't cheap.

In my opinion, Corey has the opportunity to improve the most under Coach P, and his minutes played thus far show Coach P might feel the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: soundcrib
Corey has been working after practices and late nights trying to correct his mechanics.

He's too gifted a scorer to be like this all season. His offense will click sooner rather than later

Glad to know there is an explanation behind the shooting drought. He wasn't a horrible shooter last year and was able to knock down the three.

Goes to show you that there were so many facets of this team that need tweaking.

I don't think it's an accident that Corey is leading the team in minutes for an HC who rations minutes quite soundly. His shooting is certainly off to start the season but a 9ppg/5apg/4rpg start from a PG is not awful. Especially for a team that doesn't shoot particularly well so you know his assists aren't cheap.

In my opinion, Corey has the opportunity to improve the most under Coach P, and his minutes played thus far show Coach P might feel the same.

I think most are VERY happy with the rest of Corey's game (I know I am happy to see him out there leading the team)..

Reactions: RUMountie
If Corey does end up staying 4 years and continually refining his game under Pike/Knight/Hobbs' guidance, he may become one of the best guards in the conference when all is said and done.

One of my favorite Pikiell quotes: Is he a bad shooter or a good shooter takin bad shots"?

Bad start, or not. The kid needs to know who he is, and an above the arch shooter is not it. He needs to understand what strength's he does have, speed, quickness, and passing IQ. His shot is, going to the basket, and the 10/12 shot.

You can sit through an entire Rutgers game and not see a mid-range jump shot. It is all layups and threes. Williams hit one against Morgan, and I wish he would find room to shoot more. Corey too.

He's only shot 15 threes in 8 games. It seems pretty obvious that if a) you're a guard leading the team in minutes b) facing a lot of 2-3 zone C) usually get the ball near the end of shot clock, you will probably take at least 2 3s per game. Corey is not breaking the offense to launch 3s (a Kadeem 3), they are coming within the offense and turning these down will give the defense less to think about.

The midrange issue has a lot to do with #2. Against man to man defense like Purdue, Nigel got a ton of pull ups from midrange, which is his favorite shot. But vs a 2-3 zone it's hard to get those gaps as a guard, and our bigs aren't confident shooting those early in the clock right now.

Two things here

never thought about #2, but it makes complete sense

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
You can sit through an entire Rutgers game and not see a mid-range jump shot. It is all layups and threes. Williams hit one against Morgan, and I wish he would find room to shoot more. Corey too.

that's basketball in general. I only watch college basketball, but how many times do you see a player take it right to the rim with a defender much taller, planted 4 feet from the basket. I never see a pull up 10 footer which should be a 80% shot. It's unfortunate

We're playing the easy part of the schedule. I don't expect the team numbers to change much. I'm hoping that we'll get hot for 3-4 upsets.

I don't see the weights impacting our shooting, other than for 5 minutes after a workout. These guys shoot everyday. if you take 6 months off from hoops and only hit the weights, then you'd have to make an adjustment.

Sanders is taking bad shots, mixed in with some shots at the end of the shot clock. His pull ups are off balance.

To his credit, he's doing a lot of other things well.

that's basketball in general. I only watch college basketball, but how many times do you see a player take it right to the rim with a defender much taller, planted 4 feet from the basket. I never see a pull up 10 footer which should be a 80% shot. It's unfortunate

Pulling up is a skill that nobody practices anymore it seems. It is not an easy thing to do without repetition. If you are a casual bball player, try making a hard move to the basket and then stop on a dime for a pull up. Much easier physically to launch your self to the rim.

The mid range shot is there for Deshawn, CJ, and Candido every game at the foul line or elbow. They can all make it and have to shoot it more.

I would also like to see Getty's take the midrange 12-15 foot shot he has a very good foul shot so I would think he can hit those he is very hesitant to try it

All the NBA analytics say a mid range shot is a bad shot. Does that apply to college? Not sure. But its a "lost art" because the shot doesn't make sense analytically speaking. It's like the stolen base in baseball.

I also think the zones have hamstrung Sanders. He is much better when the pace is faster because it seems to energize him. Against the zones, he can't take his patented Step Back jumper, which is his best shot .

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
All the NBA analytics say a mid range shot is a bad shot. Does that apply to college? Not sure. But its a "lost art" because the shot doesn't make sense analytically speaking. It's like the stolen base in baseball.

Is it a bad shot because people are bad at doing it? Jeff Malone from your neck of the woods was good at it 20+ years ago.

No doubt any shot from 12-19 feet is bad. Taking a 7 footer vs. a contested shot at the rim is a different story.

Is it a bad shot because people are bad at doing it? Jeff Malone from your neck of the woods was good at it 20+ years ago.

No doubt any shot from 12-19 feet is bad. Taking a 7 footer vs. a contested shot at the rim is a different story.

I don't claim to be an expert in NBA analytics but the philosophy seems to be the % of makes for the mid range jump shot v. the % of makes for a three pointer (with its "extra point bonus") gives a clear indication that a team should be taking more three point shots and less mid range jump shots.

I believe these analytics have led to the pace and space offenses we see with the need for a "stretch 4". How it applies to CBB (which imo is very different) I can't say. But I do know at a high level that is the analytic theory.

I don't claim to be an expert in NBA analytics but the philosophy seems to be the % of makes for the mid range jump shot v. the % of makes for a three pointer (with its "extra point bonus") gives a clear indication that a team should be taking more three point shots and less mid range jump shots.

I believe these analytics have led to the pace and space offenses we see with the need for a "stretch 4". How it applies to CBB (which imo is very different) I can't say. But I do know at a high level that is the analytic theory.

Also curious how the likelihood of drawing a foul by attacking plays in. You may make a 2 point shot from 8 feet a certain percentage of the time... but if you drive, there are a few results: 1) you still make 2 points, 2) you make 2 points plus the opportunity for a 3rd (and add a foul to your opponent), 3) you make 0 points but have the opportunity for 2 pts (lower likelihood at 2 pts, but also add foul to opponent), 4) you make 0 points. I wonder if you added all that up how it would out compared to attempting the 8 foot shot?

Reactions: Rutgers25
A 7 or 8 footer isn't a mid range shot. I assume a mid range shot is considered somewhere in the 12-17 foot range. If you can get to 8 feet I am quite certain the analytics will tell you to take that shot all day long.

In my opinion, analytics be damned for these guys. Nigel hits that 15-17 footer and can't make a three. Strange. Take the 15-17 footer.

Maybe I should not have said "mid-range." I would like to see Sanders, Williams, and others take ANY jump shots other than 3s.

Also curious how the likelihood of drawing a foul by attacking plays in. You may make a 2 point shot from 8 feet a certain percentage of the time... but if you drive, there are a few results: 1) you still make 2 points, 2) you make 2 points plus the opportunity for a 3rd (and add a foul to your opponent), 3) you make 0 points but have the opportunity for 2 pts (lower likelihood at 2 pts, but also add foul to opponent), 4) you make 0 points. I wonder if you added all that up how it would out compared to attempting the 8 foot shot?
With one little caveat, that is driving to the hole into the trees could also result in a rejection and fast break the other way or a charge on our player. That would be a trip with 0 points and fouls on us or a -2 if they have a run out.

With one little caveat, that is driving to the hole into the trees could also result in a rejection and fast break the other way or a charge on our player. That would be a trip with 0 points and fouls on us or a -2 if they have a run out.

True about the charge possibility. A long rebound on a missed three pointer can also lead to a run out, though.

He needs to be able to hit the above the arch shot if we're going to win games.

The end result of trading baskets with the opponent making more 3s than you, and not hitting your 3 point shots is the same:

Your team loses.

Fixing that paradigm is the most important thing we can do.

He needs to be able to hit the above the arch shot if we're going to win games.

The end result of trading baskets with the opponent making more 3s than you, and not hitting your 3 point shots is the same:

Your team loses.

Fixing that paradigm is the most important thing we can do.
I understand your concern, but any team that depends on the 3 to win games, will surely lose more, than win. And, when you are as inept on Offense as RU, concentration on the strengths of the team(defense & rebounding), as opposed to trying and improve a weakness, which won't eclipse other teams abilities, is paramount.
Ever try to make any jumpshot with a hand in your face, percentages go way down. We need to concentrate more on the hand in the face, than the jumpshot. Trying to fix the paradigm, is equal to trying to fix a prototype.

Totally mystified with Corey this year. I love this kid and hope he gets the shooting straightened out. We need him bad to compete in BIG. He doesn't look comfortable or confident with his shot. Does PIkiell need to loosen the reins on him (after10 sec. clock belongs to coach) ??

He doesn't square up. He leads with his right shoulder. I know he always shot like that but that needs to be corrected.

ADVERTISEMENT