ADVERTISEMENT

Sanders signs with Rockets G-League team

The Vipers shoot more threes than any team on the planet. My guess is they want to see if he can play that style and extend his range, eliminating those pull ups from his system. Should be an interesting challenge for him. Good luck!

I just so happened to of tuned into his IG live a week or two back and he candidly said this. Also said the rockets had some serious interest in him.

A funny part i recall was he mentioned they brought him in and he said it seemed like they expected him to suck. The way he said it was kinda funny. Then i guess he stayed for about a month on and off. Got the sign. Good for him.

The Vipers shoot more threes than any team on the planet. My guess is they want to see if he can play that style and extend his range, eliminating those pull ups from his system. Should be an interesting challenge for him. Good luck!

Why do you know this?

Reactions: dkostus
No better coach for Corey than D’Antoni.

I mentioned about a month ago. The Rockets value two things on offense....speed/athleticism in the open court and shooting. Corey fills the first. He just needs to improve his shot in the D League, then he has a chance.....I think a good chance.

God, I hope he makes it . Rutgers needs an NBA player.

Great to hear and hope Corey proves good enough to make the Rockets roster ( and stay on it).

Ok so this is a good thing vs staying for his sr year? Sorry - don’t know much about minor league bball domestic vs going to Europe. Decent $$ in the G league?

Either way wish the kid much success - left on a high note at the BTT.

Ok so this is a good thing vs staying for his sr year? Sorry - don’t know much about minor league bball domestic vs going to Europe. Decent $$ in the G league?

Per Carino’s article linked above:

G League contracts are one-year deals with a base salary of $7,000 per month or $35,000 over the course of a season, plus incentives — the biggest of which is a call-up to the NBA

Corey Sanders Signs with NBA G League's Rio Grande Valley Vipers

"Rutgers helped me a lot to prepare for this," Sanders explained. "Both mentally and physically. Coach David VanDyke and his staff got me prepared in the weight room. The coaching staff really prepared me as well. When Coach Pikiell came here, he challenged me and helped me become mentally prepared. They taught me how to preserve through adversity and learn the bigger message in life. I learned a lot from being here the last three years. I had a great career here. Rutgers brought me and treated me like one of their own."

https://scarletknights.com/news/201...-with-g-leagues-rio-grande-valley-vipers.aspx

Good luck to Corey!! At least this will help his visibility to other leagues, maybe even help boost his value.

For him, I think it is a good option vs his senior year here. He has potential and athleticism but IMO, I don’t think he improved all that much in three years in the college game. The game will be faster and this may push him a little more...plus he has a daughter and is getting paid.

Reactions: MADHAT1
I agree with Carino in the latest podcast... Corey improved a ton under Pikiell and where he was in the Big Ten tournament was his progression not an anomaly. If he came back for his senior year he may have been 1st team all Big Ten.

That being said, he was never coming back for his senior year and he has a family to take care of. Good luck to him and I'll root for whatever he does.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT