ADVERTISEMENT

Sandusky stuff "happened over 40 years ago" - state penn coach

rubigtimenow

Senior
Gold Member
Mar 4, 2015
Per nj.com quote article, Franklin says the Sandusky stuff is "things that you, your staff, your players have nothing to do with and happened over 40 years ago."
So, as a person very close to the "inside info", as the most recognizable face and leader of your "ridiculed" program....umm, so you're admitting it happened 40 years ago?
Anybody else able to confirm he really said this? Lol!!
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...tes_around_league_on_big_ten_media_day.html#4

I realize anything and everything Penn State is fair game for a 15-page thread here. However, I have to imagine that Franklin, in the context of answering a question regarding how the program handles Sandusky news as it develops, was referring to the most recent hot topic: the alleged incidents dating back to the 1970s, which, yes, would have occurred more than 40 years ago. It's also quite ridiculous to twist the statement into some sort of admission of guilt when he obviously would have no idea what actually happened. But carry on...

I realize anything and everything Penn State is fair game for a 15-page thread here. However, I have to imagine that Franklin, in the context of answering a question regarding how the program handles Sandusky news as it develops, was referring to the most recent hot topic: the alleged incidents dating back to the 1970s, which, yes, would have occurred more than 40 years ago. It's also quite ridiculous to twist the statement into some sort of admission of guilt when he obviously would have no idea what actually happened. But carry on...

Franklin has seen the way Penn St operates and believes it has been buying off Sandusky's victims for 40 years. That's why he said it.

If you watched his clip, he made excuse after excuse why they have not won more games. Everything from senior leadership to enough backups to my favorite that they had to adjust reps for players during practice.

Could some of that be true, of course but I would not be happy with my coach getting in front of the whole B1G and making excuses. Suck it up and play football.

Per nj.com quote article, Franklin says the Sandusky stuff is "things that you, your staff, your players have nothing to do with and happened over 40 years ago."
So, as a person very close to the "inside info", as the most recognizable face and leader of your "ridiculed" program....umm, so you're admitting it happened 40 years ago?
Anybody else able to confirm he really said this? Lol!!
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...tes_around_league_on_big_ten_media_day.html#4

In all fairness he was 4 years old, a Franklin has NOTHING to do with what went on. Franklin has his OWN demons when he spoke to a rape victim at Vanderbilt so the reports go during the investigation, which is a stain on his reputation.

However, him complaining about negative recruiting is hypocritical and absurd. Before I entered Sports Management research, I coached at a Catholic High school in Maryland and had routine contact with him and was a Maryland booster as well at the time. He is a charismatic guy, but he was well known for his negative recruiting and as well as his high energy and sales pitches. So when he complains about negative recruiting against Penn State it’s just laughable thinking the B1G will even hear his cries.

Every coach recruiting against Penn State has the best question when they go in home. I always wonder how the question can't be asked. Any coach recruiting against Penn State should say "Based on Penn State's history, can you really trust them to notify you if something bad happened to your son? Do you want to take that chance?"

So long as the cultists continue to deny everything, sane people will not trust them

If you watched his clip, he made excuse after excuse why they have not won more games. Everything from senior leadership to enough backups to my favorite that they had to adjust reps for players during practice.

Could some of that be true, of course but I would not be happy with my coach getting in front of the whole B1G and making excuses. Suck it up and play football.

What you might call excuses, I'll call pointing out the simple truth of the obstacles that have faced Penn State over the past few seasons. When your roster is skewed so greatly toward freshmen and sophomores, when you take over a program that has only nine scholarship offensive linemen, and when you're as short on scholarships as PSU was, it certainly impacts everything from the results on the field to, yes, how you can practice. Not to mention, Franklin was answering the questions as they were asked; had he made a statement saying he'd only answer questions immediately pertaining to football, you'd all be here shredding him for avoiding the topic.

If anything, Franklin's mistake was being overly optimistic when he first started. He won the press conference, sure, but he also set the bar way too high for what PSU could be in 2014-2015 (at least for the average fan who isn't tuned in to things like offensive line two-deeps and scholarship counts). The more involved fan knew what everyone at PSU did: that the past two years would be the toughest post-sanctions.

That said, PSU did not progress as much as I would have hoped last season, and fortunately Franklin responded by making some changes such as replacing his offensive coordinator. Rather than pick on him for answering questions from the media, we could also point out that he called this season a pivotal one and realizes its importance for the program moving forward. Those nine OL are now 17 - and a much more talented, albeit still-young, group - and the scholarship count is back near 85. I've mentioned this here before, but this is essentially year one of the Franklin regime, and he knows it's go-time as far as starting to turn the corner from 7-5 toward B1G East contender.

Last edited:
I read the article, he went into how Baylor is just seeing the beginning of bad times to come. He's comparing a bad history of sexual assault at Baylor with the molestation of minors and how it will affect their programs.

Probably not a good idea, but it seems he taking the " misery loves company" approach, and speaking as an expert on tough times.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I read the article, he went into how Baylor is just seeing the beginning of bad times to come. He's comparing a bad history of sexual assault at Baylor with the molestation of minors and how it will affect their programs.

Probably not a good idea, but it seems he taking the " misery loves company" approach, and speaking as an expert on tough times.

There's a Dennis Dodd piece on CBS including comments from Franklin about how life will change at Baylor post-scandal, so I'm guessing you might be referring to that.

Again, it's important to remember that media members ask the questions, and coaches and players answer them. It's not surprising in the least bit that reporters and columnists would ask someone like Franklin what kinds of challenges could be expected at Baylor in the coming weeks, months and years. The crimes were not the same, but the situations are similar in that the programs will have a lot to deal with in their wake. It's the same reason Bill O'Brien was asked previously to comment on how Baylor could best move forward.

I'm sure Franklin would love to talk exclusively about X's and O's and this coming season, but that simply isn't how things are for him and PSU right now.

There's a Dennis Dodd piece on CBS including comments from Franklin about how life will change at Baylor post-scandal, so I'm guessing you might be referring to that.

Again, it's important to remember that media members ask the questions, and coaches and players answer them. It's not surprising in the least bit that reporters and columnists would ask someone like Franklin what kinds of challenges could be expected at Baylor in the coming weeks, months and years. The crimes were not the same, but the situations are similar in that the programs will have a lot to deal with in their wake. It's the same reason Bill O'Brien was asked previously to comment on Baylor.

I'm sure Franklin would love to talk exclusively about X's and O's and this coming season, but that simply isn't how things are for he and PSU right now.
Have to disagree with your last line. He started his presser with the reasons why he has not done better and his excuses because of the atrocities covered up by your Coach and University. . No one asked him about it , he used it as his crutch.

I do not read your post's enough, legitimate question. Do you believe Joe knew or a member of the cult?

Have to disagree with your last line. He started his presser with the reasons why he has not done better and his excuses because of the atrocities covered up by your Coach and University. . No one asked him about it , he used it as his crutch.

You can disagree. But you'd be wrong.

Things Franklin touched on in his opening statement: condolences for Nebraska and Michigan State and the families of the players who died; proud of players' efforts in the classroom and community; excitement and confidence heading into season; the benefits of getting back to 85 scholarships; the running back room; importance of senior leadership from a relatively small number of seniors; how pivotal this season is.

If you go back and read the transcript, nothing in his opening statement was about negative recruiting or whining about the challenges the program has faced the past two seasons. Things are what they are, and if anything, I took Franklin's comments about getting closer to the 85 limit not as him excusing what happened the past two seasons, but setting the bar for 2016, essentially saying the time is now to start progressing this thing forward.

Only at the end of his session did negative recruiting and the Sandusky scandal come up, and it was as a result of a question that directly referenced those issues.

I do not read your post's enough, legitimate question. Do you believe Joe knew or a member of the cult?

What does "Joe knew" mean? That's quite a vague question to ask in the context of a Sandusky scandal that has very little black and white.

Things Franklin touched on in his opening statement: condolences for Nebraska and Michigan State and the families of the players who died; proud of players' efforts in the classroom and community; excitement and confidence heading into season; the benefits of getting back to 85 scholarships; the running back room; importance of senior leadership from a relatively small number of seniors; how pivotal this season is.

If you go back and read the transcript, nothing in his opening statement was about negative recruiting or whining about the challenges the program has faced the past two seasons. Things are what they are, and if anything, I took Franklin's comments about getting closer to the 85 limit not as him excusing what happened the past two seasons, but setting the bar for 2016, essentially saying the time is now to start progressing this thing forward.

Only at the end of his session did negative recruiting and the Sandusky scandal come up, and it was as a result of a question that directly referenced those issues.

What does "Joe knew" mean? That's quite a vague question to ask in the context of a Sandusky scandal that has very little black and white.

So, cult.

He was speaking as a senior official of an organization involved in a legal matter. His statement can be used against Penn State.

Not wrong. The whole reason was of "the benefits of getting back to 85 scholarships; the running back room; importance of senior leadership from a relatively small number of seniors;" was because of your Coach and University covering up the truth. He used them as reasons why he did not win more games and looking forward to getting pass it.

This is my recollection too. On the whole, thought Franklin came across as more measured, calm and less of a braggart than in the past.

Maybe missed it, but it seems Coach Harbaugh did not say anything about the Nebraska/Michigan State tragedies in his opening remarks.

Not wrong. The whole reason was of "the benefits of getting back to 85 scholarships; the running back room; importance of senior leadership from a relatively small number of seniors;" was because of your Coach and University covering up the truth. He used them as reasons why he did not win more games and looking forward to getting pass it.

Stop being so obtuse.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=121883

There's the transcript.

Tell me where, in his opening statement, he "started his presser with the reasons why he has not done better," or discussed "the atrocities covered up by your Coach and University." Also, revisit whether "No one asked him about it, he used it as his crutch."

You might want to believe he was thinking of all of those things as he was addressing the media. But that doesn't change the fact that, in reality, none of that was said.

This is my recollection too. On the whole, thought Franklin came across as more measured, calm and less of a braggart than in the past.

Maybe missed it, but it seems Coach Harbaugh did not say anything about the Nebraska/Michigan State tragedies in his opening remarks.

Appreciate the reasonable comments on Franklin.

I think Franklin's energy and, yes, salesmanship were important when he first got the job. He had to generate excitement around a program that still had a very cloudy near-term future, and sell a vision to recruits. The unfortunate side effect of that was he set the bar way too high in terms of what the average Penn State fan might be able to expect. Posting two winning seasons, going to consecutive bowl games, and elevating the program's recruiting should be viewed as positives - not monumental victories, but certainly positives. Anyone expecting much more was not being realistic.

Franklin has absolutely toned his act down publicly over the past 12 months or so, and I think he's sort of realized he doesn't quite need to sell Penn State the same way he did Vanderbilt, for instance. He does seem pretty confident about this season, though, which is good because this thing has to start trending higher than 6- and 7-win seasons and the offense needs to look competent.

Appreciate the reasonable comments on Franklin.

I think Franklin's energy and, yes, salesmanship were important when he first got the job. He had to generate excitement around a program that still had a very cloudy near-term future, and sell a vision to recruits. The unfortunate side effect of that was he set the bar way too high in terms of what the average Penn State fan might be able to expect. Posting two winning seasons, going to consecutive bowl games, and elevating the program's recruiting should be viewed as positives - not monumental victories, but certainly positives. Anyone expecting much more was not being realistic.

He has absolutely toned his act down publicly over the past 12 months or so, and I think he's sort of realized he doesn't quite need to sell Penn State the same way he did Vanderbilt, for instance. He does seem pretty confident about this season, though, which is good because this thing has to start trending higher than 6- and 7-win seasons.

Interested to see what Moorhead and McSorley do on offense this year, and just hope it's a total disaster on Nov. 19.

Reactions: PSUPALY
Stop being so obtuse.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=121883

There's the transcript.

Tell me where, in his opening statement, he "started his presser with the reasons why he has not done better," or discussed "the atrocities covered up by your Coach and University." Also, revisit whether "No one asked him about it, he used it as his crutch."

You might want to believe he was thinking of all of those things as he was addressing the media. But that doesn't change the fact that, in reality, none of that was said.

I never said he "or discussed "the atrocities covered up by your Coach and University." Go to the 1;20 mark "everything we've been through and challenges we have had....". If you don't think that is about the issues you have had because of the cover up and he said that to go into the next 5 minute speech about why this year will better, I don't know what to tell you.

http://www.btn2go.com/video/james-franklin---2016-big-ten-football-media-days

Reactions: thegock
Interested to see what Moorhead and McSorley do on offense this year, and just hope it's a total disaster on Nov. 19.

Based on everything I've seen and read about Moorhead's schemes, and the talent PSU has at the skill positions, I don't think the offense will be a total disaster any Saturday this fall. There will be days it isn't good enough, sure, but I'm expecting a noticeable improvement.

I never said he "or discussed "the atrocities covered up by your Coach and University." Go to the 1;20 mark "everything we've been through and challenges we have had....". If you don't think that is about the issues you have had because of the cover up and he said that to go into the next 5 minute speech about why this year will better, I don't know what to tell you.

http://www.btn2go.com/video/james-franklin---2016-big-ten-football-media-days

You entire point in this thread has been that Franklin used his press conference yesterday to make excuses about why Penn State hasn't won more games the past two seasons. You're simply off base when saying that. Period. It's not worth discussing further.

17zbyf.jpg

Ha, as soon as I said it wasn't worth discussing further I knew this would pop up.

The irony is, people here don't want to forget about the scandal but then criticize the head coach for even the most benign reference to it and its impact on the field.

Also, don't drink the Paterno beer; it's not very good.

To be fair, Vince Lombardi could have been on the sidelines for Rutgers last year and that defense wasn't going to hold up against the run.

Chris Ash is undoubtedly more qualified to coach a P5 football program than Kyle Flood, but ultimately you need players to win, and that's going to take some time for you guys.

What does "Joe knew" mean? Seriously?

Seriously.

Paterno may or may not have known a lot of things. What happened in the shower? How it was handled? What happened in 98? What happened in the 70s? What other coaches saw?

At the most fundamental level, though, if the question pertains to whether Paterno knew Sandusky was a serial pedophile, and chose to cover up his crimes for his own benefit and that of the football program, I am inclined to answer as I have for years here: no.

Last edited:
Seriously.

Paterno may or may not have known a lot of things. What happened in the shower? How it was handled? What happened in 98? What happened in the 70s? What other coaches saw?

At the most fundamental level, though, if the question pertains to whether Paterno knew Sandusky was a serial pedophile, and chose to cover up his crimes for his own benefit and that of the football program, I am inclined to answer as I have for years here: no.
Drop mic, conversation over.

ADVERTISEMENT