ADVERTISEMENT

Sarge's 9/27 Practice Report-QB/Ash Fired Up

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
Don't despair board QB coaches (a lot more in the link, ):
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...amaal_seymour_nipping.html#incart_river_index

Tylin Oden played on two offensive series in the first half against Iowa after finishing the practice week strong. He must have picked up Sunday and Monday where he left off because he spent more time with the starters Tuesday than usual.

Don't misinterpret that observation: Chris Laviano remains the starting quarterback, but Oden could be cutting into his playing time more and more. Giovanni Rescigno got the call ahead of Zach Allen.

Also, Ash was pretty fired up at practice:
He demanded better intensity, better results and better focus.

"We're going to play a good team -- and another one and another one," Ash said.

-ef6b75d09089cf01.JPG

Don't despair board QB coaches (a lot more in the link, ):
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...amaal_seymour_nipping.html#incart_river_index

Tylin Oden played on two offensive series in the first half against Iowa after finishing the practice week strong. He must have picked up Sunday and Monday where he left off because he spent more time with the starters Tuesday than usual.

Don't misinterpret that observation: Chris Laviano remains the starting quarterback, but Oden could be cutting into his playing time more and more. Giovanni Rescigno got the call ahead of Zach Allen.

Also, Ash was pretty fired up at practice:
He demanded better intensity, better results and better focus.

"We're going to play a good team -- and another one and another one," Ash said.

-ef6b75d09089cf01.JPG

Lol it looks like Roberts is about to get cold cocked with a poke in the eyes.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Looks like whoever said Oden would be the starter by week 5 or 6 could be right. Need to see him throw the ball, that's for sure, and not just a swing pass to a RB, but passes down the middle and a deep one or two. Hopefully, he has the tools to make all the throws, and it's learning to read coverages that's holding him back. We all know he can run.

Oden will get more and more reps and play more and more. Unless something crazy happens, the starting job is for him to lose next year.

Looks like whoever said Oden would be the starter by week 5 or 6 could be right. Need to see him throw the ball, that's for sure, and not just a swing pass to a RB, but passes down the middle and a deep one or two. Hopefully, he has the tools to make all the throws, and it's learning to read coverages that's holding him back. We all know he can run.

Agree. It's one thing to yell for Oden or Gio to play. It's another story when they are in the game throwing INT's and unable to complete a pass.

I'm expecting Oden to see some pretty significant time during the second halves of the next two games, and maybe some time in the first halves. I'm expecting to see him throw the ball a bit, too. The very high likelihood is that we're going to be down multiple scores in these games, and there won't be much risk of seeing what he can do. And many of the OSU and Michigan 2nd team guys are about as good as the 1st team guys we'll be seeing against teams like Illinois, Indiana, and Maryland.

Reactions: cicero grimes
My gut is telling me Oden could get significant playing time if it's a blowout at OSU this week. I bet we see him throw on Saturday.

I just hope it doesn't take until his senior year for a coach to teach him how to read defenses.

And many of the OSU and Michigan 2nd team guys are about as good as the 1st team guys we'll be seeing against teams like Illinois, Indiana, and Maryland.
Their 2nd team guys are better than any team we could ever dream of fielding haha, they would be third in BIG Ten if they put their 2nd teams together, 4 and 5 stars everywhere

You got to love the passion of Coach Ash and staff, very intense and won't let the players get down.

A little bit like when Schiano and Demo were here.

Its the perfect time. If Laviano cannot move the offense, you have good cover to put someone else in. Then if the backup performs, he becomes the starter, if not, you have no real pressure in going back to Laviano, just brush it off as "he was having a tough day"

ADVERTISEMENT