ADVERTISEMENT

Football Saturday Big Ten Opener vs. Iowa Sold Out

Richie O

Hall of Famer
Staff
Mar 21, 2016
South Amboy, NJ
PISCATAWAY, N.J. (Sept. 23, 2022) – The Rutgers fanbase has delivered a sellout for Saturday night’s Big Ten opener versus Iowa at SHI Stadium, presented by PNC. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

Limited student tickets are still available. Students can claim their seats up until kickoff while supplies last by clicking here. Tickets for the public are still available on StubHub, the official fan-to-fan ticket marketing place of the Scarlet Knights, click here to view availability.

As part of the "R Community Game," the Scarlet Knights look forward to welcoming and honoring representatives from youth band, youth cheer/spirit, R Heroes, Special Olympics, Rutgers University Dance Marathon (RUDM) and several other community groups. Giveaways include "Beat Iowa" buttons, shakers, trading cards of popular Rutgers characters and posters at the pregame pep rally. The parade prior to team arrival will feature Special Olympics athletes and youth members as part of Band and Cheer Day.

The Rutgers Boardwalk opens at 3 p.m. along Scarlet Knight Way and features New Jersey's best food trucks, rides, live entertainment and carnival games. In addition, fans can visit a fire truck, police car, ambulance and more in recognition of "R Community." The Rutgers men's basketball team and national champion Rutgers Spirit Squad will also participate in a pregame autograph session.

In an effort to encourage a safe environment for fans as well as improve the ease of entry into the stadium, Rutgers has moved to mobile-only tickets, which can be added to an Apple Wallet or Google Pay app. Digital tickets provide for contactless entry, limiting person-to-person interactions, while speeding up entry time into the venue and also offers a secure means to transfer and exchange tickets. Representatives from the Rutgers ticket staff will be on hand to help assist customers with any digital ticket-related matters or by phone on game day beginning at 3 p.m. by calling 866-445-GORU (4678). Fans will also receive mobile parking passes that they can manage like their digital tickets. Fans are encouraged to download mobile tickets and parking passes to their Apple Wallet or Google Pay apps prior to arriving at the stadium.

FS1 has the broadcast, with the radio call on the RWJBarnabas Health Rutgers Sports Network.

Yes, very cool. And, I hope that we actually have 50,000+ in the stadium. Nothing is worse than watching a "sold out" game but - when the camera pans across the stadium - you see lots of empty seats.
I think the 7pm start and "Community Day" theme will make that (50k+ in the stands) happen. The band posted that there will be a ton of kids from area HS bands in attendance as well so I imagine they will be in the upper levels filling in a good portion of that area.

Reactions: BeantownKnight
I don’t claim to entirely understand the formal relationship with StubHub but doesn’t Rutgers shift many of their unsold tickets there after a certain point each game week ?

Similar to other places to sell high-demand tickets for more than face value ?

Reactions: RaritanKnightRU
I don’t claim to entirely understand the formal relationship with StubHub but doesn’t Rutgers shift many of their unsold tickets there after a certain point each game week ?

Similar to other places to sell high-demand tickets for more than face value ?
A ticket sent to StubHub by is not considered sold until its sold by StubHub so this is probably a real sell out

Reactions: MTOleBlue
Yes, very cool. And, I hope that we actually have 50,000+ in the stadium. Nothing is worse than watching a "sold out" game but - when the camera pans across the stadium - you see lots of empty seats.

If they pan the student section at kickoff we're probably toast.

If they pan the student section at kickoff we're probably toast.

This is the case around the country, but one thing seemingly unique about our student section is that it fills up (directionally) before out. Usually I see the opposite on TV with early arriving students filling out the bottom rows while the top rows fill last. This tends to look better on TV than our setup.

Reactions: BeantownKnight
Excellent. Enjoy a great atmosphere all!

Looking forward to watching. Hopefully we can manage a point or two.

Looking forward to seeing a packed house on Saturday and enjoying the Boardwalk. There are scattered tickets available on Stub Hub at reasonable prices.

No game is sold out just because Rutgers says so. There is a long history of the athletic department playing games with attendance numbers. Let’s see how the stadium looks in a few hours before believing the boys who cried wolf.

Reactions: bac2therac
55 minutes to go before kick and the crowd looks like games in the Ash era. Could be heading to a real sell out, packed in the stands once everyone is inside. Not as many Iowa fans as I expected, hopefully bc RU fans bought up all the tickets

ADVERTISEMENT