ADVERTISEMENT

Scarlet-White Game

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
The Rutgers football program will return to the practice field in March with 15 spring practices, ending with the annual Scarlet-White game on Saturday, April 14 at 3:30 p.m. at High Point Solutions Stadium.

http://scarletknights.com/news/2018/2/14/football-scarlet-white-game-april-14.aspx

SG_Social.png

Reactions: PaRU102
So I wonder if they'll be rolling out any gimmicks this year, like bringing in Big 'N Beefy to sing their new hit song: I Left My Heart With a Whore In Mexico.

You're never going to compete against a state that has nothing else going on but college football.
BINGO! People will drop a grand a night to come into town over a weekend to see their home games from Western Nebraska.

Reactions: MozRU
You could buy a Rutgers season ticket and a Scarlet Parking Pass for the price that Nebraska’s spring game is going for.

Last year NJ dot com had an article listing the professional sports team closer to RU stadium than the next closest professional sports team to Nebraska's stadium. It was something like 20 (!) and included teams from D.C. (!)
Could you even imagine?!?!!!
No professional sports team within 3 hours of our Stadium?! Lol, if that were the case we could sell out the spring game PLUS every spring practice!

Reactions: newell138
I don't understand the appeal of the spring game. It is really nothing more than a glorified practice. Sure, there are some people who are interested in seeing how a particular player is developing, or have a coach's eye and enjoy watching a glorified practice. But for most fans, I think the spring game itself is kind of boring. I know that I've never sat through 4 quarters watching it, and usually by the time I leave, more than half the other attendees have already left.

We keep using excuses like there is nothing else to do in Nebraska,Alabama,West Virginia,etc. Folks,we have NINE million people in a state that is the size of a postage stamp and we can't fill a stadium for regular season games that only holds 52,000 people and an Indiana high school basketball gym that seats only 8,000. Heck, there are probably more people in Monmouth ,Middlesex,and Somerset counties than there are inNebraska and Nebraska takes about a month to drive from one side to the other. And they have plenty of other things to do,but still get great crowds for basketball,baseball,and even volleyball.They fill an 80,000 seat stadium EVERY game whether they are playing Ohio State orTulsa. The state has minor league baseball,minor league hockey,a Division 1 hockey team at Nebraska Omaha,high school and youth sports plus they probably have a symphony,museums,concert halls,theatre,movie theaters,and zillion restaurants just like everywhere else.They also have a higher percentage ,I would guess,of residents who hunt and fish. No more excuses,New Jersey.We should not still be having trouble filling our stadium and arena,despite the recent records. We are in the Big Ten,not the AAC.

In my opinion if Nebraska got kids on campus earlier to experience that atmosphere when its hot, they could be recruiting on Ohio State's level. The problem for them is they play in the West. Even though its brutal for you guys, you have that recruiting advantage over them by playing in the east against the powers.

DJ,I have inside information that before the game,there will be a meet and greet with the stars of Duck Dynasty and a live show with the Statler Brothers. I guess my letters to Hobbs can really make things happen around here. Next up, we should have Rutgers Hockey on the ice within a couple years. DJ,any thoughts?

First, though (assuming the $100,000 rumored cost) much too much the Big N Rich show last April was great-doubt I would have attended otherwise. From the looks of the empty (the weather bit wet) stadium sans a few bunches in the tops of the section) stadium besides the field others probably thought the same.

One HUGE criticism is that one cannot follow the game at all. The announcers announced very little. Right to start with-you can't play touch football (I believe they did). In general most fans go to see any breakout players-the announcers have to announce who got the ball, how many yards on the pickup, yada THATS BASIC!

When I have my big fan (big poster here) buddies leaving during the 1st quarter (at times Ive had a hard time getting them to leave during a blowout) something's amiss!

I don't understand the appeal of the spring game. It is really nothing more than a glorified practice. Sure, there are some people who are interested in seeing how a particular player is developing, or have a coach's eye and enjoy watching a glorified practice. But for most fans, I think the spring game itself is kind of boring. I know that I've never sat through 4 quarters watching it, and usually by the time I leave, more than half the other attendees have already left.

Agreed-especially in the New York area with so much to do. I'd personally much rather sit through/part of a cold weather Yankees game.

Donestrond, don't think so. My experience is that fan interest "peaks" with the possibility of a bowl bid (with the possible exception of the Yankee Bowl as its a bad place for a football game and "been there done that"). Before Rutgers was admitted into the Big Ten what frustrated fans the most were the years we had a good bowl caliber team yet wound up either/or 1) in bowls with cr*ppy locations or 2) in lesser bowls than we deserved due to conference affiliations (our ~top 12 2006 team slipped to the Texas bowl against a far inferior Kansas St team after a triple OT loss on a 2-pt conversion at West Virginia (I believe a win would have put RU in the Sugar Bowl).

I think (even with the fans that I predicted) outside of Penn State and Ohio State there's not a ton of fan interest in Big Ten schools because they aren't natural rivals (the ACC would have been a better fit with sports and the fans but they didn't offer and the Big Ten was an incredible-and likely most lucrative. HOWEVER even if players in NJ/NY/PA grew up Rutgers fans even 4-5 star types are going to find it difficult to play for RU knowing they are likely going to get crushed. Unless there's a revenge motive players for the most part aren't going to sign because they're gonna play x school (well maybe if we play away at Hawaii).

Again as the previous poster alluded people grow up in NJ with a sheetload of professional and "entertainment" (includes NYC/Broadway/Pro Sports/The beach that most states can only dream of-and in many other cases in not so compact an area (i.e. North Carolina where I attended my 1st grad program). There's not the only game in town mentality that BLESS most top programs like Alabama (probably no Nebraska but it ain't NJ-I wouldn't know about the Alabama shoreline sans: 1) hurricanes 2) Jimmy Buffett and 3) Gulf oil disasters. Your competiton (Auburn-ok but not even a state school and the Saints)? Don't forget many of the top programs cut corners on a regular basis.

In October 1978? at Giants Stadium I sat 2 rows behind the #1 Alabama bench and Bear Bryant who admitted RU outplayed them (Bama won 21-16). That's a rarity. Rutgers will never be an Alabama and be a National contender almost every year. However most fans would be thrilled to have a 2006 like team (or even a team that goes to an interesting bowl every couple of years). As such with many there is arguably less interest come November than in the Big East where we were contending for a bowl (that interests fans more than anything).

Last edited:
Hopefully Hobbs and crew and find another good middle of the road band at much less than $100,000. Southside Johnny and the Jukes R always a good bet. Lots of up and coming-and veteran bands should cost less than the prior.
It might help to move to the evening.

Hopefully Hobbs and crew and find another good middle of the road band at much less than $100,000. Southside Johnny and the Jukes R always a good bet. Lots of up and coming-and veteran bands should cost less than the prior.
It might help to move to the evening.
Southside Johnny played recently near me and sad to say, age has kicked in.

Nothing more would say Rutgers is small time than that. Pay up and get a nationally known act or don’t do anything.

So I'm really looking forward to our Skills Maintenance Tailgate - if the weather cooperates we'll start some time in the AM.

I don't understand the appeal of the spring game. It is really nothing more than a glorified practice.

I love the spring game.

-Great just being in the stadium after a six month break... I miss it.
-Get to see my tailgate crew. We're spread out over multiple lots now, so it's nice to reunite and have a big one in the Spring.
-Plenty of kid friendly activities
-The weather. Mid to late April is a crapshoot, but I personally prefer it to our early or late season games.
-Low key. Park wherever you want and almost everything is free.

But to your main point, yes it's a glorified practice. Actually not even... Last year was something more akin to a pep rally or midnight madness.

We spend weeks arguing minutiae on this board... going to a Rutgers pep rally isn't the worst way to spend an afternoon.

I love the spring game.

-Great just being in the stadium after a six month break... I miss it.
-Get to see my tailgate crew. We're spread out over multiple lots now, so it's nice to reunite and have a big one in the Spring.
-Plenty of kid friendly activities
-The weather. Mid to late April is a crapshoot, but I personally prefer it to our early or late season games.
-Low key. Park wherever you want and almost everything is free.

But to your main point, yes it's a glorified practice. Actually not even... Last year was something more akin to a pep rally or midnight madness.

We spend weeks arguing minutiae on this board... going to a Rutgers pep rally isn't the worst way to spend an afternoon.

It's not a bad way to spend an afternoon. But with what it is, I don't think it is reasonable to expect attendance of 35-50K.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
We keep using excuses like there is nothing else to do in Nebraska,Alabama,West Virginia,etc. Folks,we have NINE million people in a state that is the size of a postage stamp and we can't fill a stadium for regular season games that only holds 52,000 people and an Indiana high school basketball gym that seats only 8,000. Heck, there are probably more people in Monmouth ,Middlesex,and Somerset counties than there are inNebraska and Nebraska takes about a month to drive from one side to the other. And they have plenty of other things to do,but still get great crowds for basketball,baseball,and even volleyball.They fill an 80,000 seat stadium EVERY game whether they are playing Ohio State orTulsa. The state has minor league baseball,minor league hockey,a Division 1 hockey team at Nebraska Omaha,high school and youth sports plus they probably have a symphony,museums,concert halls,theatre,movie theaters,and zillion restaurants just like everywhere else.They also have a higher percentage ,I would guess,of residents who hunt and fish. No more excuses,New Jersey.We should not still be having trouble filling our stadium and arena,despite the recent records. We are in the Big Ten,not the AAC.
Spot on comments refuting the usual lame excuses for poor attendance at Rutgers games/events.

I'd love to see a different format for the spring game instead of first team vs second team. Maybe offense vs defense, where defense gets points for gettting stops, turnovers, etc.

Especially when you decide to play two hand touch.

The state has minor league baseball,minor league hockey,a Division 1 hockey team at Nebraska Omaha,high school and youth sports plus they probably have a symphony,museums,concert halls,theatre,movie theaters,and zillion restaurants just like everywhere else.They also have a higher percentage ,I would guess,of residents who hunt and fish. No more excuses,New Jersey.We should not still be having trouble filling our stadium and arena,despite the recent records. We are in the Big Ten,not the AAC.
Have you ever been to Nebraska? We drove from Omaha to Lincoln. It was like driving for a little over an hour from one oasis to another with nothing in the middle but desert. And I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure this is the metropolis center for the entire state.

Last edited:
Have you ever been to Nebraska? We drove from Omaha to Lincoln. It was like driving for a little over an hour from one oasis to another with nothing in the middle but desert.

Gotta agree with this: my brother is a pastor out in Lincoln, and there's Nebraska football and.............nothing else.

First, though (assuming the $100,000 rumored cost) much too much the Big N Rich show last April was great-doubt I would have attended otherwise. From the looks of the empty (the weather bit wet) stadium sans a few bunches in the tops of the section) stadium besides the field others probably thought the same.

One HUGE criticism is that one cannot follow the game at all. The announcers announced very little. Right to start with-you can't play touch football (I believe they did). In general most fans go to see any breakout players-the announcers have to announce who got the ball, how many yards on the pickup, yada THATS BASIC!

When I have my big fan (big poster here) buddies leaving during the 1st quarter (at times Ive had a hard time getting them to leave during a blowout) something's amiss!
Say that again. This time in English.

Last year NJ dot com had an article listing the professional sports team closer to RU stadium than the next closest professional sports team to Nebraska's stadium. It was something like 20 (!) and included teams from D.C. (!)
Could you even imagine?!?!!!
No professional sports team within 3 hours of our Stadium?! Lol, if that were the case we could sell out the spring game PLUS every spring practice!

Add in the fact that Nebraska football has been more than relevant for 50+ years

Kole and DJ,I have never been to Nebraska,but I have been to North Dakota. And loved it! As far as I am concerned,once a town has sidewalks and more than one traffic light,it is getting crowded. Compared to North Dakota,Nebraska is Mexico City or Buenos Aires. From what I keep hearing about the people in Nebraska, I probably would love living about an hour outside of Lincoln. Lived near an SEC school once and enjoyed it.

Reactions: RUforester72
J

It is mostly for the tailgating. I consider the spring tailgate the half way point to the next football season and a chance to have that midway get together. There also is the mild curiosity of how the quarterbacks will look, etc. even though it might not mean much

Southside Johnny played recently near me and sad to say, age has kicked in.

Nothing more would say Rutgers is small time than that. Pay up and get a nationally known act or don’t do anything.
Saw Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes Saturday night, and they were outstanding. Southside turns 70 this year. Over the last few years, some shows have not been so great, but for a guy who is about to turn 70, he looks and sounds fantastic.
That said, don't think he would be a great choice for the Spring game or any other RU football event.
Never understood why we could not get Bon Jovi more involved with RU football. He loves football and almost was a part owner of the Bills. I am not a fan of his music, but he is still relevant, and his songs are still played during games.

Saw Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes Saturday night, and they were outstanding. Southside turns 70 this year. Over the last few years, some shows have not been so great, but for a guy who is about to turn 70, he looks and sounds fantastic.
That said, don't think he would be a great choice for the Spring game or any other RU football event.
Never understood why we could not get Bon Jovi more involved with RU football. He loves football and almost was a part owner of the Bills. I am not a fan of his music, but he is still relevant, and his songs are still played during games.

Bon Jovi might be too much $$. I think we save a little coin and get Lil' Jovi to perform.

ADVERTISEMENT