ADVERTISEMENT

Scarlet/White Post Scrimmage Observation Thread

Defense looks good. More speed off the edge. Secondary was very good. Impressed with sitkowski, vokolek, Melton on offense. Pacheco also looks like he's very explosive.

Reactions: Randal7
Based on this one and only one chance to see Stikowski IMO the only thing stopping him is that he was very prone to throwing into trouble and could therefore be a little risky and turnovers could result. Ash definitely prefers QB's who protect the ball. If AS shows them he has cleaned that issue up during the summer then I would say the job is his. But if they think he is still too much of a risk with the ball I could see GR start the season. The Texas St. game could be their chance to prove their cases to the staff.

Lewis had that one drop but otherwise he looked like he was very good at getting open and had good receiver skills.

Many catchable passes by Art were dropped by WRs. He actually might be throwing to hard for our Receivers. Correct to say he does try to place the ball in real tight spots.

Jeez Flacco was good today.
My first thought was that Flacco could have won the EMU and Nebraska games with the type of play he showed with today. Then, to be fair, I realized that if he had to play those games with the same Kill game plan that Gio did, probably not.

He does seem to play with a fire we are missing at times though.

My first thought was that Flacco could have won the EMU and Nebraska games with the type of play he showed with today. Then, to be fair, I realized that if he had to play those games with the same Kill game plan that Gio did, probably not.

He does seem to play with a fire we are missing at times though.

Feel free to totally disagree with me here but as I watched today I got the impression that, even though he took off the black shirt, the defense didn't want to hit him. Imagine being the guy who knocks one of your QB's out of action. I don't think any of the defensive players wanted to be that guy. So I don't know if what we saw today when he scrambled is what we would see in a true game vs a defense who wants to knock the QB out of the game.

Feel free to totally disagree with me here but as I watched today I got the impression that, even though he took off the black shirt, the defense didn't want to hit him. Imagine being the guy who knocks one of your QB's out of action. I don't think any of the defensive players wanted to be that guy. So I don't know if what we saw today when he scrambled is what we would see in a true game vs a defense who wants to knock the QB out of the game.
I don't know about that.

Sitkowski has the best footwork of the QBs...a bit Peyton Manning-esque. Much quicker out of the snap and good play-action fake. Everything was quick in this sequence, which leads a faster time to checking his receivers. Makes quick decisions and commits to them. He will only get better. Lewis is nice but accuracy seems to be a problem...also waits too long for the play to develop and forces throws. Flacco is an improved version of Rescigno, imo...knows his limits and plays to his strengths...short-midrange throws, effective scrambler and hard, elusive runner and decent improvisation. Would be interesting to see how he functions in real game situations.

Pacheco is very fast off the line and after handoff.

Vokolek's game and physique reminds me of Tyler Kroft's.

Jalen Jordan has potential. Good hands and height within a relatively short WR corps. Sort of a TE/WR hybrid.

Max Anthony will have an interesting role in the offense.

Defense hard to judge with limited contact of QB. You can have all the talent in the defensive backfield, but if there's limited QB pressure as the past few seasons, it will be a long season against the top 4 within division. Mike and Will linebacker play is paramount to success with limited pass rush from DL. Hopefully DL is improved.

Last edited:
Actually, I hope you are right because it would mean our tackling is better then what we saw when he played.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that, based on Flacco's size and arm strength he would be overmatched against (just like a few of our previous QBs have been) against those 4-5 teams on our schedule who are putting 4* and 5* star defenders out there. However, he seems to be that stereotypical "scrappy" undersized college QB who wouldn't have let the offense sleepwalk through a few of those games that were winnable with just a decent offense.

Actually, I hope you are right because it would mean our tackling is better then what we saw when he played.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that, based on Flacco's size and arm strength he would be overmatched against (just like a few of our previous QBs have been) against those 4-5 teams on our schedule who are putting 4* and 5* star defenders out there. However, he seems to be that stereotypical "scrappy" undersized college QB who wouldn't have let the offense sleepwalk through a few of those games that were winnable with just a decent offense.
It’s how the team moves and executes when Flacco is in there.
He has them flowing...IMO, it’s more about the entire unit than him being overmatched

I wanted to see more of Flacco. Thought Sitkowski made a bunch of bad throws, missed a wide open WR for a TD throwing it 10 feet over his head. He also made a few great ones, obviously. The mistakes can be corrected.

Lewis had that one drop but otherwise he looked like he was very good at getting open and had good receiver skills.

Looked like maybe he ran the wrong route on that Melton bomb as well? I doubt they drew it up with him being so close to BM.

Reactions: thegock
Flacco was the biggest revelation.

Sitkowski made great throws and awful throws. Certainly has talent. Will he be able to harness it?

I don't think scrimmage helped Gio or Lewis.

Still intrigued by Chatman.

Reactions: RUinOhio
It’s how the team moves and executes when Flacco is in there.
He has them flowing...IMO, it’s more about the entire unit than him being overmatched
That was my point. There is an energy when he plays that could have gotten the team over the hump in a few of the close games. If you told me he was starting 6-7 games on our schedule I would figure that is an upgrade from Gio.

However, that energy isn't going to be enough when we play the elite teams. We need a QB like Art that can gun throws to the entire field, and a game plan that doesn't play with one hand behind its back by being conservative, to truly compete with the type of teams we are playing on the back half of our schedule this year.

Flacco reminds me of Chase Dodd; Sitkowski of Turnova. Both can win games.
Flacco completed 8 of 10 passes for just 73 yards and suddenly he has become the fan favorite. Chas Dodd had a big arm and excelled at throwing downfield. I think many are drawing to many conclusions from 15 plays in a spring game. McNulty and Ash see him every day and at this point do not have him in contention for the starting job...insisting it is either Art, Gio, or JLew.

Flacco completed 8 of 10 passes for just 73 yards and suddenly he has become the fan favorite. Chas Dodd had a big arm and excelled at throwing downfield. I think many are drawing to many conclusions from 15 plays in a spring game. McNulty and Ash see him every day and at this point do not have him in contention for the starting job...insisting it is either Art, Gio, or JLew.
Let the coaches decide who the QB should be.

Please tell me where McNulty or Ash insisted QB would be one of the 3 you mention. If I recall Ash said he was hoping to name starter with about 2 or 3 weeks before 1st game. Don’t put words in coaches mouths

well to my untrained eye, he showed way more than gio or lewis. he showed fire and leadership and confidence. Lewis was not good at all.

Reactions: scripts
well to my untrained eye, he showed way more than gio or lewis. he showed fire and leadership and confidence. Lewis was not good at all.
In fairness to Lewis, he could have had a bad day.
Did not watch that closely, but Sit had Melton on almost every (maybe every) series. Was Melton out there for Lewis?
Think of Laviano with Carroo and without Carroo. Big difference.
That said, Sitkowski made some fabulous throws on the money for Melton and other receivers. He distinguished himself. As others said, he is a freshman, and mistakes will be made. He cleans those up, and he will be great for us.

Did not watch that closely, but Sit had Melton on almost every (maybe every) series. Was Melton out there for Lewis?
Think of Laviano with Carroo and without Carroo. Big difference.
////

Good point. But yes Rettig should have gotten a long leash here considering all that was known of Laviano. Whatever 1-2 game season in TN doesn't change that.\

Art looked the part.

Hilliman to me seemed to lack burst. Hope that comes but didn't seem near Gus level.

Some speed showed on D.

You guys thought Flacco was good? Uhm ....... wtf game did you guys watch?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT