ADVERTISEMENT

Football Schiano gives thoughts on Simon’s game, updates QB injuries

That question near the end of the article - "Will Rutgers target the transfer portal in the offseason to bring in someone to the room already with added experience?" - that is something we (like every other program in the country) should do every season. Perhaps it's a bit more difficult to manage these days, with the new transfer rules and/or NIL. But, didn't Harbaugh have something like 9 QBs on his team just a couple of seasons ago? I'm sure some of them were only brought in to be backups but at least he had options in the event that someone (or two) was injured.

There are several position groups in our offense that haven't been all-that-great for a while now (going all the way back to Schiano's first stint, Flood, Ash, and Schiano 2.0). We have some talent in places. Our RBs always seem pretty good but it's hard to be successful without talent at all position groups working together. It has to become an area of focus. 2006 now seems like a distant memory.

Tyler Van Dyke at Miami might hit the portal. He was flourishing in Lashlee’s offense but he’s gone to be the SMU HC and TVD hasn’t done as well in the change of offense with Gattis. Garcia replaced him in that MTSU game.

Boise QB has entered the portal too but don’t know how good or bad he is.

Tyler Van Dyke at Miami might hit the portal. He was flourishing in Lashlee’s offense but he’s gone to be the SMU HC and TVD hasn’t done as well in the change of offense with Gattis. Garcia replaced him in that MTSU game.

Boise QB has entered the portal too but don’t know how good or bad he is.
What about Cade McNamara?

What about Cade McNamara?
He’s a potential portal guy too. I kind of thought Harbaugh was trying to keep him from not entering by going through that charade at the beginning of the season.

I think they wanted McCarthy as the starter all along but want CM as a reliable backup. It might last through the season but I’d guess like most QBs, CM will want to play.

I think Simon can be a solid option IMO. He may need to add more muscle though. He's a decent passer and he's showing improvement. I think he can run the option, just needs to get to like 215 lbs or so.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT