ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano Haters.

What would you do if you were traveling and on your journey you run into a couple know-it-all college football fans....
You mention you’re a Rutgers fan and immediately they blast you with your school is embarrassing and has no business playing in the B1G TEN.
They continue with Schiano sucked, never won anything, never beat WVU, and the only reason your in the league is because of NY market TV sets.
Do you defend yourself and us? Or do you lay down like a sissy?

Since the GS haters are incapable of advocating for a different coach without belittling GS and our football history at RU during his tenure to prove their point, I’d have to believe you’d all lay down.

I happen to be proud of the fact I defend the shit out of us, especially the Schiano era....

Every time you trash Schiano and call him a failure you trash our history, you trash his players...the McCourty brothers, Harmon, Sanu, Leonard, Rice....all of them.

Give it a rest, advocate for whoever you want to coach us, stop trashing our football history
Thank you, zappaa! Agree 100%. The Schiano haters are off the wall in beliitling his very real achievements.

Zappa
As my father used to say "illegitimi non carborundum" (don't let the bastards wear you down)

Reactions: Jm0513
Greg was an average coach in a league falling apart that he never won. If he is so great then way hasn't anyone else hired him?
Average college coaches don’t win, go to bowls and get you into the B1G at RUTGERS... only great ones would accomplish that at this place.

I’m sure the search committee guys can find one...looking forward to who it is with full support, while you moan.

Last edited:
What would you do if you were traveling and on your journey you run into a couple know-it-all college football fans....
You mention you’re a Rutgers fan and immediately they blast you with your school is embarrassing and has no business playing in the B1G TEN.
They continue with Schiano sucked, never won anything, never beat WVU, and the only reason your in the league is because of NY market TV sets.

Since the GS haters are incapable of advocating for a different coach without belittling GS and our football history at RU during his tenure to prove their point, I’d have to believe you’d all lay down.

I happen to be proud of the fact I defend the shit out of us, especially the Schiano era....

Every time you trash Schiano and call him a failure you trash our history, you trash his players...the McCourty brothers, Harmon, Sanu, Leonard, Rice....all of them.

Give it a rest, advocate for whoever you want to coach us, stop trashing our football history

1st, let me say this, @zappaa, if a fraction of Rutgers fans had the passion that you have for RU then we would be in a better place. Same goes for a number of posters on this board. There are some of the best, brightest, most fervent Rutgers fans here that advocate for a better football team and Rutgers University. We all want a better Rutgers University, and a better Rutgers football team.

Addressing your specific concerns. I absolutely defend Rutgers. I use facts, mostly how successful we have been with both the TV contract and the research and academic side of things. While the Rutgers football team has not done well in the Big 10. Rutgers University and the Big 10 both have benefited from their partnership both in TV rights for football and in areas of research outside of athletics.

As someone who has performed at the highest level of sports, you have a different perspective than 99% of us, and I think we all respect that. I think that the athlete in you sides with those guys. I'm don't think that is either right or wrong but I also don't think that RU fans are disrespecting Schiano or his players by say we can do better or that he made mistakes in the past. We all can do better and we all have made mistakes. If we don't acknowledge those mistakes than we are doomed to repeat them.

I think we need to take in all information and treat it as data points in our decision making. I love the RU football alumni and all that they have done for RU but they are one data point. My personal preference is to hire an offensive coach because I believe that we should look at the way football officiating and rules favor the offense now. That could be another data point if people smarter than me deem it so. We should advocate as a group that the RU shot callers take in all the data and make the best decision possible.

I feel that we can disagree with Schiano's past as a coach, while agreeing that he may or may not be the best candidate for us at this time while not disrespecting past RU letter winners at the same time.

Average college coaches don’t win, go to bowls and get you into the B1G at RUTGERS... only great ones can do that.

I’m sure the search committee guys can find one...looking forward to who it is with full support, while you moan.
He was far from great ! He was average ! A great coach would have won the conference and gotten them to a real bowl game, he never did that despite putting the program in place to do so a few times. In other words he failed in the long run. You don't know what moaning is my friend. I don't give a rats ass who they hire. And he is not the reason ru is in the B1G, the market is. Now lets talk baseball because it appears you don't know what a great coach is .

I say one day we’re gonna keep our kids home and kick all your asses.
No...we're never gonna do that, Zap.
Rutgers is never gonna keep home most of the top talent in New Jersey. No matter who is coaching the football team.
You've been to Ann Arbor, Happy Valley, and Columbus. We can't compete with them.
It's entirely understandable why so many Rutgers fans are crying for GS's return. He did way better than any other Rutgers football coach and better than anyone had a right to expect at attracting local talent.
But I think he knows there's a ceiling. And that Louisville game may have been it for this program.
I'd still be surprised if he comes back here. I sure hope he does.

Really ? I think you need to go take another look at the history of Rutgers football.
Do you really believe ru football has good history ? What have they accomplished in 150 years ? And who should we compare it to ? USC, Notre Dame, Alabama, LSU, Princeton, Army, Navy, North Dakota St. ? Now these programs have great histories , but Rutgers ?

Last edited:
I've been following it since the mid-Sixties. Anyone who thinks Schiano was average doesn't know much about the rest of the coaches RU has had....and the history of the program.
What did he accomplish that puts him in the category of great ?

Reactions: silkcitypirate

Umm ... I don't hate Schiano. Like everyone else who leaves a job at Rutgers, I thank him for his service and wish him success in his future endeavors.

Perhaps great is not the right word. But he recruited kids to come here and play football that were more talented than anything I'd ever seen here...or thought I would ever see. Hell, he has more of his players playing well for the Patriots...and wearing Super Bowl rings... than anyone had a right to ever expect. Rutgers ?
And, for a while at least, he had guys I know stop laughing at Rutgers football. No one else ever did that.
Yeah, I want him back.

Changed the National perception of RU football to positive and got us into the B1G, that was an incredible accomplishment.
Yes I realize you just said it was it was the market and not GS.
But If you can’t and won’t agree it was both, and one doesn’t happen without the other...it means you’re a GS hater.
Obviously the great reference has some context.

Last edited:
Here's my take, zap. Schiano did amazing things here. Anybody who thinks otherwise simply isn't looking at the data. His strengths overcame his weaknesses. Coming back into the program, he would be facing a much more positive scenario. Better facilities, more money for the program (coaches/recruiting), recruiting into the B1G.

So the question becomes: what GS are we getting? Is it one who has learned from his mistakes and can build a dynamic team that will stick around for a while? Will he hand the offensive reins over to a proven OC? Will he bring along a DC who is a dynamic recruiter and wants to learn the ropes as a coordinator. If those sorts of growth are seen, I think our ceiling is higher than 7-5 and a minor bowl. I think we can be very good in this situation. There is immense talent in NJ; if GS is a better coach than he was, we could become a very strong team under his leadership.

On the other hand, I worry that maybe that growth and maturity may not be there. If he still has a "my way or the highway" attitude (and some reports out of tOSU are worrisome along those lines), I don't think we can hope for much more than mediocre. And I don't want to be mediocre.

I think with a great coach, we can become a great team. This is absolutely a golden opportunity for us. Especially if the resources are there that some think is the case.

At the end of the day, I'm willing to roll the dice with GS, and if it's him, I'll be 100% behind him, and happy with where we are. I see Butch Jones as probably a slightly better pick, but he has his downsides as well. I think Leipold, Moorhead, Monken, etc., are not as strong a choice. I think there are three or four names being tossed around (like Norvell, Clawson, etc.) whom I would clearly prefer.

And at the end of the day, I trust Hobbs and the people he is working with to make a good choice and convince that person to come here. And I don't care if it goes into December if we get a great coach out of it.

Bull shit, I argue with them and defend us.
Usually with when we get Schiano back look out

But you're feeding them when you do this. You give them power in reacting that way. Don't give them the satisfaction. And you won't "win" the argument as it's unwinnable.

What we do to address that argument/mindset is invest $$$ in the program, hire the best staff we can, and give them the tools they need to be competitive.

"Rutgers should search for and hire the best coach available who has the skillset to turn this program around."
=
"YOU DIDNT SAY SCHIANO!!!!! YOU HATE RUTGERS!!!! YOU MUST BE BANNED FROM HERE DIE!!!!!"

Its a good point... People cant seem to be able to say no to Schiano without completely sh*****g all over the guy. I dont get it. Just say you prefer someone else. You dont have to either hate or love him.

Sorry but this is complete BS. There are a couple of guys on this board that do that and there are the majority that are getting tired of having to put the f-ing disclaimer in every post that they may not want Schiano back but would glady accept if Rutgers ever decided to name the Stadium after him for what he did for us. Without Greg, we would never be in the B1G and almost no one would even care.
We just get so damn tired of needed to say this every time we say we would prefer someone else.
For those that want to continue to give the .500, never won the weak BE etc...yes, those are "facts" but don't tell the story. Actually, point number two is also BS. During most of those years, WVU/L'Ville were VERY good. And most people in the mid/late 2000's were often arguing about BE/ACC/B1G as to which of the 3 were better or worse. With BE usually winning most of the head to head bowls.
With that, with where we are at this point, I would be very happy to have Greg here, he is the one guy that I 'Know' can fix this shit and have us get out of the gutter. On the other hand, I would prefer if we could pony up the cash for someone that may be higher up on the HC list. But, since that isn't going to happen, let's get Greg back here.
Just stop with the damn it has to be black or white BS.

Most fans who know football say we were good to very good while Schiano was here. It’s only our own self loathing fans who hate everything about themselves (which includes RU) that crap all over everything RU including Schiano. You can’t force people to like themselves. Focus on the thousands of people who are reasonable of which only a few of us post here.

That’s BS sorry but the players you mentioned are good players and it is not an indictment of them. Schiano did all those things you mentioned he did. But he had the players to get it done and did not. Yes he brought us out of the gutter of the Shea era and made a difference. But IMO we need someone different than bringing him back. What cracks me up is we are really his only option right now. But people think he will be a savior. I think he will be mediocre at best in this league but we shall see. Unless something unbelievable happens he will probably be our coach. I would rather see Clawson here or Norvel but that’s not happening.

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Why is there part of the RU fanbase that are utterly opposed to the thought of Greg coming back?
Could be they are so used to talking about failure now, any chance of possible success scares
them.So they look for reasons for Schiano ,who has succeed before at RU ,to fail this time.

I don’t think that is it. The RU fans who don’t want Greg back feel that he will not be successful almost two decades later after his first hiring. Lots of things have changed in CFB since the days in the BE. And Greg’s resume since leaving RU is lacking in his last 3 positions. As a result there are many other coaches that have done better than Greg in the past 8 years.

Btw certain posters keep repeating the talking point that Greg got RU into the B1G.

I don’t think that is it. The RU fans who don’t want Greg back feel that he will not be successful almost two decades later after his first hiring. Lots of things have changed in CFB since the days in the BE. And Greg’s resume since leaving RU is lacking in his last 3 positions. As a result there are many other coaches that have done better than Greg in the past 8 years.

Btw certain posters keep repeating the talking point that Greg got RU into the B1G.
He did,
Without him, the NY market wouldn’t have mattered
I spoke to Dalaney about it

That’s BS sorry but the players you mentioned are good players and it is not an indictment of them. Schiano did all those things you mentioned he did. But he had the players to get it done and did not. Yes he brought us out of the gutter of the Shea era and made a difference. But IMO we need someone different than bringing him back. What cracks me up is we are really his only option right now. But people think he will be a savior. I think he will be mediocre at best in this league but we shall see. Unless something unbelievable happens he will probably be our coach. I would rather see Clawson here or Norvel but that’s not happening.
Those players think they got the job done, but there’s always you to tell them they didn’t

Those players think they got the job done, but there’s always you to tell them they didn’t
Um ok sure what job is that and I am not telling them anything. What am I missing here? Did we ever beat WV with him at the helm, or win the Big East? No we did not and it’s not me telling anyone that it’s history and it will repeat itself IMO. But obviously facts don’t mean anything here I guess. BTW I always defend this program have been doing that for 45 years, I also support this program. But on this site you should always be able to voice the reality. Schiano IMO is not the answer it’s just my opinion you have yours and I have mine. Believe me I want this program to win more than anything else. I just think he is not thee answer.

He did,
Without him, the NY market wouldn’t have mattered
I spoke to Dalaney about it

I love the people who say "Schiano's accomplishments don't matter. we got into the BIg10 because of the market."

NYC has been around since 1624. What took so long for the invite?

To get the invite we had to have a viable, competitive football team. The 2005-11 teams were instrumental in the invitation.

Um ok sure what job is that and I am not telling them anything. What am I missing here? Did we ever beat WV with him at the helm, or win the Big East? No we did not and it’s not me telling anyone that it’s history and it will repeat itself IMO. But obviously facts don’t mean anything here I guess. BTW I always defend this program have been doing that for 45 years, I also support this program. But on this site you should always be able to voice the reality. Schiano IMO is not the answer it’s just my opinion you have yours and I have mine. Believe me I want this program to win more than anything else. I just think he is not thee answer.
Very fair, the refs stole WVU, 2006 by the way.
When you omit all this savior crap, and don’t become Nostradamus by preordaining mediocre at best 3rd tier bowls forever...and as GS fans we’re going to “get what we deserve”
Your ok with me.

I got nothing from this thread other than apparently OP picks fights with random people in airports.

I love the people who say "Schiano's accomplishments don't matter. we got into the BIg10 because of the market."

NYC has been around since 1624. What took so long for the invite?

To get the invite we had to have a viable, competitive football team. The 2005-11 teams were instrumental in the invitation.
To suggest otherwise is idiotic.

That is it. I am officially putting Zap in charge of raising funds for a Rutgers Baseball Stadium ! Doesn’t have to be a palace-I will settle for copies of Arkansas, Mississippi State, or South Carolina.
Before the Somerset Patriots built their stadium in Bridgewater, they approached Rutgers about building the stadium on campus in Piscataway for shared use between the Patriots and Rutgers. Rutgers said no.

Before the Somerset Patriots built their stadium in Bridgewater, they approached Rutgers about building the stadium on campus in Piscataway for shared use between the Patriots and Rutgers. Rutgers said no.
That’s insane, had to be a liability and traffic issue.
I know our stadium and museum causes some nightmare issues at Montclair State.
But the money beyond games with fireworks, concerts, camps and paying for parking all has to pay off

I've been following it since the mid-Sixties. Anyone who thinks Schiano was average doesn't know much about the rest of the coaches RU has had....and the history of the program.
This - I have to think most people who keep putting down what GS did here do not have a clue about the inherent difficulties and challenges of Rutgers football - he was offered jobs at Michigan and Miami and as an NFL HC. You need to be more than a great offensive mind or “gameday coaching” ability to be a successful coach at Rutgers. Was he perfect and flawless - far from it but there aren’t many coaches who fit that description - not sure there are any. Maybe Saban and even he couldn’t cut it in the NFL

Bold 1: He got us players, found us players and developed some very under the radar players. Our problem in the 05-09 years were not our starting players but depth. The other thing many people are missing is that the BE actually had some other pretty loaded teams that really compare to what we had as well and even better when you are talking the college game.

Yes they do. They all have some games they would like back but those guys that joined a 4 win 04 team or even worse if before then, are damn proud of what they did here in a very short time.

When you omit all this savior crap, and don’t become Nostradamus by preordaining mediocre at best 3rd tier bowls forever...and as GS fans we’re going to “get what we deserve”
Your ok with me.
We actually outplayed them that game though it was still just a very good football game between 2 top college teams. And we should have had them in the snow game- trying to remember if that was also the stiffarm game as well or was that a different one?

Bold 1: He got us players, found us players and developed some very under the radar players. Our problem in the 05-09 years were not our starting players but depth. The other thing many people are missing is that the BE actually had some other pretty loaded teams that really compare to what we had as well and even better when you are talking the college game.

Yes they do. They all have some games they would like back but those guys that joined a 4 win 04 team or even worse if before then, are damn proud of what they did here in a very short time.

We actually outplayed them that game though it was still just a very good football game between 2 top college teams. And we should have had them in the snow game- trying to remember if that was also the stiffarm game as well or was that a different one?
Snow game was stiff arm game.
I thought about it for my whole 5 hour ride back to Montclair

Your ok with me.
But also don’t forget there was no VT Miami or BC in the Big East at the time. We lost to a mediocre Cincinnati team that year also that hurt us more. When we went 11-0 I hear people saying look at the competition no offense this is the same situation. Competition now is worlds above where we were on 06

ADVERTISEMENT