ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano Haters.

RU is a dumpster fire in more ways than one. All of the posters on these boards advocating for Schiano's hiring have attempted to tie the hands of the AD from even considering any other candidate. Your love fest to make RU great again, have poisoned the well for any coach who takes the job or put up roadblocks for any coach that would even consider taking on this mess. All of you Schiano sheep deserve every loss you've got coming in the future.
3f6jh0.jpg

What would you do if you were traveling and on your journey you run into a couple know-it-all college football fans....
You mention you’re a Rutgers fan and immediately they blast you with your school is embarrassing and has no business playing in the B1G TEN.
They continue with Schiano sucked, never won anything, never beat WVU, and the only reason your in the league is because of NY market TV sets.
Do you defend yourself and us? Or do you lay down like a sissy?

Since the GS haters are incapable of advocating for a different coach without belittling GS and our football history at RU during his tenure to prove their point, I’d have to believe you’d all lay down.

I happen to be proud of the fact I defend the shit out of us, especially the Schiano era....

Every time you trash Schiano and call him a failure you trash our history, you trash his players...the McCourty brothers, Harmon, Sanu, Leonard, Rice....all of them.

Give it a rest, advocate for whoever you want to coach us, stop trashing our football history

I would never call Schiano a failure. He saved the football program. But that doesn't necessarily mean he's the best choice to be the next coach.

Haha I love how people ignore the polls on this very message board where one of the choices was "want a throught search done but I will only be happy if Schiano is hired." Or one answer was "I only want Schiano". OP and a lot of others are ignoring that a large portion of those on this board are incapable of exercising logic and will not be ok with a better candidate.

Reactions: tico brown
What would you do if you were traveling and on your journey you run into a couple know-it-all college football fans....
You mention you’re a Rutgers fan and immediately they blast you with your school is embarrassing and has no business playing in the B1G TEN.
They continue with Schiano sucked, never won anything, never beat WVU, and the only reason your in the league is because of NY market TV sets.
Do you defend yourself and us? Or do you lay down like a sissy?

Since the GS haters are incapable of advocating for a different coach without belittling GS and our football history at RU during his tenure to prove their point, I’d have to believe you’d all lay down.

I happen to be proud of the fact I defend the shit out of us, especially the Schiano era....

Every time you trash Schiano and call him a failure you trash our history, you trash his players...the McCourty brothers, Harmon, Sanu, Leonard, Rice....all of them.

Give it a rest, advocate for whoever you want to coach us, stop trashing our football history
So let the record show that I've been one of the most vocal against hiring schiano for a multitude of reasons however I always make sure I offer the alternative who would be a much better hire, Mike Houston...

I can't help it if our fans stop reading after I say Schiano would be a bad hire and dont continue reading to see that I actually am offering another candidate and legitimate reasons why he would be a better hire

Who’s disagreeing?
Advocate for your coach, stop trashing our history that got us in the B1G...simple
I'll go as far as saying that so far from what we've seen that moving to the B1G was one of the worst decisions we could have made from a competitive standpoint. We have 3 teams in all sports (wrestling, woman's soccer and men's lacrosse) that are even competitive with our Big 10 counterparts. The rest of our sports teams are being destroyed by our competition and it frankly isn't even close to turning around if we're being honest with ourselves....

I would never call Schiano a failure. He saved the football program. But that doesn't necessarily mean he's the best choice to be the next coach.
Yes! I wish everything didn't have to be so black and white around here. Greg was great. But coming back here is clearly a consolation prize for him, and if his heart's not in it, combined with some crushing expectations, it seems like it could be a recipe for failure. As always, I would be thrilled to be proven wrong.

Last edited:
Yes! I wish everything didn't have to be so blank and white around here. Greg was great. But coming back here is clearly a consolation prize for him, and if his heart's not in it, combined with some crushing expectations, it seems like it could be a recipe for failure. As always, I would be thrilled to be proven wrong.
He would NEVER be hired if his heart wasn't in it.
Everyone involved in this decision has to be convinced he's all in...noticed I didn't say had.
Its not done yet

Reactions: scottsdaleal
I'll go as far as saying that so far from what we've seen that moving to the B1G was one of the worst decisions we could have made from a competitive standpoint. We have 3 teams in all sports (wrestling, woman's soccer and men's lacrosse) that are even competitive with our Big 10 counterparts. The rest of our sports teams are being destroyed by our competition and it frankly isn't even close to turning around if we're being honest with ourselves....
To much money and large research grants to turn down...lets make a good football hire.
I wouldn't want Mike Houston because I think GS brings us the non-football related intangibles no one else can...I think in the immediate it's far more important than Xs and Os

You may want to attend a couple of mbb games this year -- they are close

I promise you that these threads have nothing to do with the hiring of the next coach whomever he may be
I disagree, I think all the press that this guy gets, is going to make the difference. RU should be comfortable with Gary in.
and Maybe Hobbs realizes that. Butch will be torn apart with every loss. But Greg could do no wrong posters and alike
will say 500 would be a great improvement over his last stay because it is a tougher conference. and no more patsies.
I can see the advantage of hiring Greg for certain.

He would NEVER be hired if his heart wasn't in it.
Everyone involved in this decision has to be convinced he's all in...noticed I didn't say had.
Its not done yet

It certainly seems like our very small pool of very large donors are all in on Schiano. Given the outside pressures, and the specter of the softball "scandal" gaining traction, Hobbs has no choice but to appease the demand. From where I sit, it is clear Hobbs hand has already been forced by the media and the big donors, thus, it is just a matter of waiting on the announcement.

The only person that will be given enough time to succeed is GS. The rank and file RU fans have no idea who the other good candidates are...they would think even Clawson is a bad hire. If Hobbs hires anyone else, 50% of the fan base will claims Hobbs "ego" prevented him from hiring Schiano, and demand he be fired for that alone. He will be a villain. The same "fans" will never support the new coach right out of the gate. By the time 2 years of losing have gone by (which is coming regardless of who is hired) the demands for both Hobbs and whoever the new coach to be fired will be deafening.

IMO, the only way someone other than GS winds up as HC will be if GS publicly declines the job.

I disagree, I think all the press that this guy gets, is going to make the difference. RU should be comfortable with Gary in.
and Maybe Hobbs realizes that. Butch will be torn apart with every loss. But Greg could do no wrong posters and alike
will say 500 would be a great improvement over his last stay because it is a tougher conference. and no more patsies.
Situations change as seasons progress, if we get a game changing QB and players in the category of Leonard, Rice, Greene, Zuttah, Britt etc....it’ll be obvious to all we are dramatically improving...expectations will change.
Coaching tenures are fluid.
When you don’t have the horses you get run out of the building.., I don’t care if Lombardi is coaching

You may want to attend a couple of mbb games this year -- they are close
There wasn't a time that I walked into the RAC over the past two seasons and didn't think that Rutgers had a reasonable chance to win the game that was about to start. Sure, we were underdogs in most of the games, but I always felt that we had a reasonable chance to win. I can't say that about football recently or about basketball under some of our previous coaches.

Reactions: ATIOH
..they would think even Clawson is a bad hire.

Why does Clawson's name get used as the example of a great hire? I would be thrilled if he came to Rutgers. But is there anything that connects him to this job, or indicates that he is interested in any way. Why do people name him as the example of a great hire, but not someone like PJ Fleck?

sorry--but after any loss greg will be attacked by some on this board --it's in their psyche to bitch and moan

Situations change as seasons progress, if we get a game changing QB and players in the category of Leonard, Rice, Greene, Zuttah, Britt etc....it’ll be obvious to all we are dramatically improving...expectations will change.
Coaching tenures are fluid.
When you don’t have the horses you get run out of the building.., I don’t care if Lombardi is coaching
Will see, I personally feel Sit could be a game changing QB but I think Greg will want his own guy.

Will see, I personally feel Sit could be a game changing QB but I think Greg will want his own guy.
Any players GS inherits will be his guys.
He’s not stupid, if while coaching Art (if he stays) and any others where he sees great potential, he’s not going to sabotage his own success.
Where do you come up with this stuff?

Last edited:
This is what I call a very stringy stretch! The idea that nobodies on a fan forum have that much influence is, to me, laughably absurd. Now big donors...sure. TKR? Not so much...

This is what I call a very stringy stretch! The idea that nobodies on a fan forum have that much influence is, to me, laughably absurd. Now big donors...sure. TKR? Not so much...
No...but it will make the Boards unreadable.

One thing about a Schiano rehire...a healthy spike in season tickets should follow

Any players GS inherits will be his guys.
He’s not stupid, if while coaching Art (if he stays) he sees great potential, he’s not going to sabotage his own success.
Where do you come up with this stuff?
Did you know Shea's son told Greg
He would play for him and would do anythingto help. GREG TOLD HIM TO take a hike. .He also constanly ripped
Shea's players apart saying they had
No talent and this publicly. If he comes I will hope he has change..

Why does Clawson's name get used as the example of a great hire? I would be thrilled if he came to Rutgers. But is there anything that connects him to this job, or indicates that he is interested in any way. Why do people name him as the example of a great hire, but not someone like PJ Fleck?
Neither were ever coming

Reactions: scottsdaleal
He would play for him and would do anythingto help. GREG TOLD HIM TO take a hike. .He also constanly ripped

I don’t believe it, never saw GS rip anyone.
Did he tell Gary Bracket to go home?

What qualifies as a healthy spike? Getting halfway back to 2018 levels? Getting to 2018 levels? Getting to 2017 levels? Getting back to 2015 (last pre-Ash year) levels?
A few thousand more? A lot of folks left...

But donors could be influenced by many things including this site, maybe.
I’d argue that if big donors are influenced by TKR, their investment strategies should be questioned ASAP...what makes this board fun is all the BS, drama, over reaction and flat out lunacy! You know ...a fan base

Reactions: zappaa
A few thousand more? A lot of folks left...

So here are are season ticket sales over the past few years:

2015 = 31168 (Flood's final year)
2016 = 28478 (loss of 2690 or 8.6%)
2017 = 23812 (loss of 4666 or 16.4%)
2018 = 22709 (loss of 1103 or 4.6%)
2019 = 16585 (loss of 6124 or 30.0%)

If Schiano brings back a few thousand more, meaning 3000, that really doesn't repair the damage that's been done. That amounts to just stopping the bleeding and getting a small minority of those chased off by Ash to return.

If our fan base is as excited about Schiano's return as it appears on this message board, I would expect an immediate bump to get most of the way back to 2018 levels for next season, and back up to above 2017 levels by the following season.

Reactions: Block R
I don’t believe it, never saw GS rip anyone.
Did he tell Gary Bracket to go home?
I think you may have selective memory
Almost every presser he would talk about getting div 1 players because inherited an empty cupord.. Maybe
He did not realize or care that his players were listening. But that is where the 80-0 's came from. Sorry
I felt then he was over his head as rookie coach but the youngest ever .
By the way by the WAy Brian L.
Came from that empty cupboard.

To much money and large research grants to turn down...lets make a good football hire.
I wouldn't want Mike Houston because I think GS brings us the non-football related intangibles no one else can...I think in the immediate it's far more important than Xs and Os
That's my biggest issue with Schiano is his public perception outside of Rutgers Circles. I don't want a coach who hasn't been a HC in a decade and has spent more time in the last 9 years unemployed than employed. Schiano completely embarrased himself down in florida coaching the bucs in an area that will be necessary to recruit. IMO the only reason that Mike Houston isn't as talked about is simply he hasn't had a P5 job before... I think that's a real positive for someone taking over our program, not someone who has been to the top level and is now trying to get back.

Reactions: NickKnight 1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT