ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano Haters.

So here are are season ticket sales over the past few years:

2015 = 31168 (Flood's final year)
2016 = 28478 (loss of 2690 or 8.6%)
2017 = 23812 (loss of 4666 or 16.4%)
2018 = 22709 (loss of 1103 or 4.6%)
2019 = 16585 (loss of 6124 or 30.0%)

If Schiano brings back a few thousand more, meaning 3000, that really doesn't repair the damage that's been done. That amounts to just stopping the bleeding and getting a small minority of those chased off by Ash to return.

If our fan base is as excited about Schiano's return as it appears on this message board, I would expect an immediate bump to get most of the way back to 2018 levels for next season, and back up to above 2017 levels by the following season.
Those are pretty staggering figures since just 2015...wow!!! To at least over 20k? RU really needs to brand the change well...get those who left excited to at least give it a shot and reward those who stayed

You may want to attend a couple of mbb games this year -- they are close
14-17 where the first 10 games of the season are against cupcakes isn't exactly competitive. We needed bare minimum 10 more wins to even be in the conversation of making the tournament....

I'm really not trying to be debber downer and I knew it would be an uphill fight. But 5 years into the Big 10 I would have thought we would have made up more ground than we have. What's the timeline anyway? When are we supposed to be good at sports again?

Why does Clawson's name get used as the example of a great hire? I would be thrilled if he came to Rutgers. But is there anything that connects him to this job, or indicates that he is interested in any way. Why do people name him as the example of a great hire, but not someone like PJ Fleck?

I only used Clawson as an example, because I was replying to Zap and he has suggested him as another name he would support.

A few thousand more? A lot of folks left...

IMHO, nobody is going to buy season tickets because GS is hired. They will take a wait and see approach. I would be surprised if it went up 3,000. Hopefully I am wrong.

IMHO, nobody is going to buy season tickets because GS is hired. They will take a wait and see approach. I would be surprised if it went up 3,000. Hopefully I am wrong.

I agree with you. From purely anecdotal experience, my season ticket group has dwindled over the past few years until we gave up season tickets altogether his year. None of us are planning to buy season tickets next year, regardless of whether Schiano or someone else is hired.

But one of the arguments repeatedly repeated on this board in favor of rehiring Schiano is that if he returned there would be so much excitement that season ticket sales would immediately spike. Bring back just half of what was lost last season is hardly what I would call a "spike".

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
Is it fair to say that when RU hired Chris Ash, Greg Schiano had no interest in the job or was RU not interested? My sense was he was not interested in a return and had his sights set on a higher caliber job. Not sure if that is accurate.

Is it fair to say that when RU hired Chris Ash, Greg Schiano had no interest in the job or was RU not interested? My sense was he was not interested in a return and had his sights set on a higher caliber job. Not sure if that is accurate.

Story I heard was that Schiano was interested but wanted to keep an option open if he got the Miami job. Hobbs supposedly said no thanks.

Story I heard was that Schiano was interested but wanted to keep an option open if he got the Miami job. Hobbs supposedly said no thanks.
Yes, different time, and no sense of urgency by Hobbs first time around.
Pre OSU, and pre Tennessee romp with reality.
This is far different...

Think about this for one second , if you’re an experienced sought after coach with possible options.
Rutgers is a job where you have to sell the coach on why he should come here, shouldn’t it be the other way around?

Just one of our challenges

Reactions: scottsdaleal
I only used Clawson as an example, because I was replying to Zap and he has suggested him as another name he would support.

Well you're wrong. My 4 will be renewed. And they won't be if this falls through.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
Absolutly the only reason he would
Go to this interview, is no college wants him, no pro team wants him
As head coach no pro team wants him
As an assistant. If he comes here it is only for the money. Greg, thanks but no
Thanks. You had your chance and blew
It. Tenessee was right go back to st Penn.

Absolutly the only reason he would
Go to this interview, is no college wants him, no pro team wants him
As head coach no pro team wants him
As an assistant. If he comes here it is only for the money. Greg, thanks but no
Thanks. You had your chance and blew
It. Tenessee was right go back to st Penn.
What a fan, we could use a lot less of you.
You have zero clue what GS’s thoughts are at present...none.
You love to spew pure BS, without even the courtesy of an in your opinion

Last edited:
Reactions: csphi
Yes, different time, and no sense of urgency by Hobbs first time around.
Pre OSU, and pre Tennessee romp with reality.
This is far different...

Thanks. I had forgotten about the Miami job being open. I know he landed at OSU shortly after we hired Ash. We know RU's stock has plummeted since then and I guess GS's has declined to some degree as well making him more receptive this time around.

Think about this for one second , if you’re an experienced sought after coach with possible options.
Rutgers is a job where you have to sell the coach on why he should come here, shouldn’t it be the other way around?

Yet somehow we managed to get the DC from a national championship team to be our coach--twice. Stop pushing the idea that nobody wants to come here. There's a line of guys dying to be head coach at any P5 team.

Yet somehow we managed to get the DC from a national championship team to be our coach--twice. Stop pushing the idea that nobody wants to come here. There's a line of guys dying to be head coach at any P5 team.
Nobody we want buddy, that’s why Butch Jones is plan B
You couldn’t be more wrong...I know

Reactions: OriginalKnight
First time was one that wasn't really interested at first when Rutgers contacted him about the position.
But after Mulcahy couldn't get the ones he went after, Bob gave in to Gregs demands that needed to be done before accepting the job and wa la Rutgers was on it's way to respectability.
But Schiano at first wasn't that interested.

As for Ash, not a top tier candidate and it looks like the only demands he had was salary, automatic two year extension and stay at OSU till bowl season was over.
Rutgers does have G-5 Coaches interested in being its HC , but they are not the ones that can be considered great gets when hired.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Nobody we want buddy, that’s why Butch Jones is plan B
You couldn’t be more wrong...I know

Nobody we want because our program goes after the wrong kind of coaches. We need to find someone from a lower level who has head coaching experience, not somebody anybody an assistant coach from a P5 team just because they're from a P5 team.

As I have always said, work the process. If GS is standing at the end of it, fine. If he isn't, that's fine too.

Reactions: RU2055

This is exactly why mike Houston makes so much sense. Put aside the fact that 13 years ago for a week Greg had Rutgers as the darlings of cfb, now tell me you still want him as a coach based on what he’s done the last decade....

Houston on the other hand will jump the minute a P5 job offers him. He’s proven at turning perennial laughing stocks into contenders and in 2016’s case national champions

The only way to get the season ticket sales up is to win, plain and simple. If Greg getting hired gives a bump to sales cool but what happens when his first year we continue to suck? (which will happen regardless of whose hired, we're too bare)

Nobody we want because our program goes after the wrong kind of coaches. We need to find someone from a lower level who has head coaching experience, not somebody anybody an assistant coach from a P5 team just because they're from a P5 team.
Mike Houston! Get on the bandwagon! Lol

Reactions: zappaa
You can argue that, but not in a million years was that going to happen this go around

First time was one that wasn't really interested at first when Rutgers contacted him about the position.
But after Mulcahy couldn't get the ones he went after, Bob gave in to Gregs demands that needed to be done before accepting the job and wa la Rutgers was on it's way to respectability.
But Schiano at first wasn't that interested.

As for Ash, not a top tier candidate and it looks like the only demands he had was salary, automatic two year extension and stay at OSU till bowl season was over.
Rutgers does have G-5 Coaches interested in being its HC , but they are not the ones that can be considered great gets when hired.
When that search was going on all we heard about was Gary Darnell. He kept holding out so Mulcahy went to Schiano.I remember hearing Schiano speak when was first hired. He said he had a number of requests/demands from Mulcahy. He was surprised to hear a number of them had already been taken care of. The rest would be taken care of.
He knew right away Mulcahy was serious about getting it done.

What a fan, we could use a lot less of you.
You have zero clue what GS’s thoughts are at present...none.
You love to spew pure BS, without even the courtesy of an in your opinion
Is it my opinion that he has no offers, is it my opinion he blew it in Tampa, gave Ohio st a weaker defense. Stop the love fest for
this man.:) But in my opinion he is a has been. The reason I do this, is the nonsense you guys spout about I guy that
had his day. Some of this stuff that is said here is peoples opinion but they announce Greg got the job a month ago.
Or Monday he gets the job for sure. Over and over again.

Aaand, this is world we now live in - childishly label and vilify anyone who doesn't share your opinion. Facts be damned. The overwhelming majority of the fans on this site support Greg 2.0. A smaller faction believe that a comprehensive search should first be conducted, and if Greg is the last man standing, will be happy (I'm in this camp). And, a select few believe that there are obtainable coaches in the marketplace who are simply better than Schiano. But the mob mentality continues to overwhelm - it's actually a disturbing microcosm. If you're not an unabashed loyalist, you MUST first provide a disclaimer, then an iron-clad counter-argument, which the vast majority will never read, then prepare for childish labels - hater, traitor - and a response-closing meme.

Aaand, this is world we now live in - childishly label and vilify anyone who doesn't share your opinion. Facts be damned. The overwhelming majority of the fans on this site support Greg 2.0. A smaller faction believe that a comprehensive search should first be conducted, and if Greg is the last man standing, will be happy (I'm in this camp). And, a select few believe that there are obtainable coaches in the marketplace who are simply better than Schiano. But the mob mentality continues to overwhelm - it's actually a disturbing microcosm. If you're not an unabashed loyalist, you MUST first provide a disclaimer, then an iron-clad counter-argument, which the vast majority will never read, then prepare for childish labels - hater, traitor - and a response-closing meme.
come-on now not all who have expressed dissatisfaction with the idea Schiano might come back are labled haters. But it's true that if you're not too happy Greg might return putting in a disclaimer your feelings is nessary .
But that goes for the pro hire Schiano posters as well, because the fringe element claims they are Schiano lovers even when they have proven only to feel he's the best available out of the ones who would take the job.

Classifying one group but not recognizing the other side has the same problem seems to be a way to knock people with a different POV but making the knock look like something else .

ADVERTISEMENT