ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano is interested

He should be in consideration and is in the Top 10 of my list. UNT playing better lately.
And I don't think you can say he's unrealistic compared to Norvell which I can at least somewhat buy as possibly out of our reach even with a higher budget. Littrell in a down year at UNT and if you give him a solid 3M+ salary and the big budget for assistants I don't think is out of reach.

Reactions: SCILS02
That's a totally fair point, but in my view this is such a unique situation -- i.e., it's Rutgers and fans, players, and boosters are pushing for one guy and one guy only; the only guy who ever had success here in the past 40 years -- that Hobbs would at least survive to get a third FBHC hire if Greg were to fail.
Could he survive? It's possible I wouldn't rule it out but as @Knight Shift pointed out he'll be in his mid 60s by the time we know how this hire will pan out. So it could be his last hire any way....not just this but IMO really any kind of executive decision do your due diligence get your input from others but then make your own decision and own it for better or worse. I think less regret that way...and if you're on the verge of retirement again more reason to go out on your terms.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
That's a totally fair point, but in my view this is such a unique situation -- i.e., it's Rutgers and fans, players, and boosters are pushing for one guy and one guy only; the only guy who ever had success here in the past 40 years -- that Hobbs would at least survive to get a third FBHC hire if Greg were to fail.
But as I have mentioned, Hobbs is 62 now. Unless he is going the Barry Alvarez route, the new coach will be given 3-4 years. Hobbs will be 65-66 and may be ready to retire. Maybe not, as he may want to keep working, and may need to since he just got married.

EDIT- whoops, did not see @rutgersguy1 's post above.

Reactions: RedSpartan
I've mentioned Seth Littrell (Leach tree coach)here multiple times what do you think of him. UNT having a little bit of a down year with a new OC and some injuries but I've liked him and still do. Took over a 1 win team transitioned them from a pro style offense to a spread and took them to 3 straight bowls with 5, 9, 9 wins. All with a first time OC Graham Harrell and true freshman qb Mason Fine found out of nowhere. This a year a step back so far. Might be a perfect time to buy low.

He's been OC with downtrodden B10 school IU and Kevin Wilson and they had some very good offenses. He was OC at UNC when Fedora had their 11 win season and he's been a good OC at Arizona too.

One caveat though is got to make sure he gets a good DC. Say a trio of Littrell/Wilson/Brown or Littrell/Harrell/Brown or substitute Fuller from Memphis or Heacock/Howell if the budget is higher. What would you think of that?
Littrell will not move the needle. I know you like nuts from the Leach tree (pun intended), but his record is concerning. I would put Jason Candle way ahead of Littrell, and Jason candle's flame burned out along with his legend with 2 bad losses the last two weeks. However, someone pointed out, Toledo's starting QB was knocked out and the are starting a freshman at QB. Cry me a river.

None if it’s a Clawson or Norvell

You realize us GS advocates are clamoring for him because we realize there isn’t a chance in hell one of them is coming here.
But make the calls for sure...I agree
That's all I ask. Make the calls to Clawson's and Norvell's people and if there is no interest, get Schiano done.

Moorhead could have been brought in last December, but not now when he brings no juice because he is struggling. None of the Leopold or Candles types are in the middle of a good enough run to justify the faith they can make the leap.

Most of the people like me arguing against Schiano were not against Schiano per se, but against the people who acted like his hire should be such a coronation that it could have been done the day after Ash was fired, without any investigation of other options.

Littrell will not move the needle. I know you like nuts from the Leach tree (pun intended), but his record is concerning. I would put Jason Candle way ahead of Littrell, and Jason candle's flame burned out along with his legend with 2 bad losses the last two weeks. However, someone pointed out, Toledo's starting QB was knocked out and the are starting a freshman at QB. Cry me a river.
I'm not a move the needle type or looking for temporary thrills that will wear off. What will move the needle is winning...nothing moves the needle more than that. Like I've said a strong offense and at least a mediocre defense and I'm good with it. Whoever has the profile and acumen that I think can create that I'm satisfied to see what he can do.

Candle is still fine for me but he's just gone back to where he was farther down on my list. Littrell I've always liked even on the down year because of the rest of what I mentioned above which to me are things we should be after.

I'm not a move the needle type or looking for temporary thrills that will wear off. What will move the needle is winning...nothing moves the needle more than that. Like I've said a strong offense and at least a mediocre defense and I'm good with it. Whoever has the profile and acumen that I think can create that I'm satisfied to see what he can do.

Candle is still fine for me but he's just gone back to where he was farther down on my list. Littrell I've always liked even on the down year because of the rest of what I mentioned above which to me are things we should be after.
Look, I agree with you to an extent, but RU needs to move the needle with the next hire.
Schiano, Jones, Leach, Fleck. After that, it becomes a bunch of no-names, who could "probably" succeed, but the fanbase will not be patient or even accepting.
Most fans are not as deep in the weeds as you are with offensive guru and stats. It would be nice if they were, but they are not. And neither are the donors.

Reactions: knightinaz
Get Schiano as HC and get the Princeton HC as the OC, pay him more than Princeton does now. Get the Temple DC to come here. Keep Nunz as TE coach, get his bro to come here as co-DC (mostly for recruiting reasons) Just get all the best recruiters for the other spots.

The above is pure fantasy.

Look, I agree with you to an extent, but RU needs to move the needle with the next hire.
Schiano, Jones, Leach, Fleck. After that, it becomes a bunch of no-names, who could "probably" succeed, but the fanbase will not be patient or even accepting.
Most fans are not as deep in the weeds as you are with offensive guru and stats. It would be nice if they were, but they are not. And neither are the donors.
I understand that and that to me is succumbing to the wrong instincts just like the hiring of Flood for a recruiting class.

I thought Miles could be good but just like Brown it would depend on assistants....and you know Miles has gone through 3 OCs already in his short tenure. One get hired away, he let the 2nd go and now this 3rd was from within the staff who as HC at Bethel who I think led country in offense in their division with like 50+ points a game. So you see even these flashy names need to know what they want and how and who to implement it. This is a big thing for me and the biggest reason for Ash's failure IMO.

Get Schiano as HC and get the Princeton HC as the OC, pay him more than Princeton does now. Get the Temple DC to come here. Keep Nunz as TE coach, get his bro to come here as co-DC (mostly for recruiting reasons) Just get all the best recruiters for the other spots.

Too bad I could go with that lol.

Why not add to his big state pension and be the biggest payed state employee again and get another free house why not. I be interested too.

You think he's doing it for the pension? How much is his "big state pension" currently? I understand it is zero, but please clue me in.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Knightshift, I read your post quickly and it sounds like you mean Hobbs could retire, but now that he is married, he wouldn’t want to. As in be around his wife a lot. lol

Reactions: Knight Shift
Lots of interesting talk in the podcast about donors becoming impatient with Hobbs and his reluctance to speak to Schiano. That would explain the Towers tweet. If this is true Hobbs is a dangerous AD who could bury a program he has already damaged.

The Cult of Hobbs isn't going to like this one bit.

I don’t think he gets away with that... a failure is a failure no matter who it is and regardless of who wanted what. That’s why it should be his call... if he goes down he goes down his way cause he won’t get reprieve. High school coaches and fans liked the Flood hire for saving the class. Did that earn anyone a reprieve no it got twenty twenty hind sighted for stupidity of focusing on just a single class.

Success is success failure is failure no matter the choice. Whatever he chooses Schiano or otherwise is at his feet... success or failure.

I think Hobbs' long game is Governor or Senator. Schiano as a choice makes sense and he'd get a pass if it didn't work out- especially if say during that time we actually returned to the NCAA. He could say he listened to the fans like he'd always listen to NJ residents and always stick with a Jersey guy yada yada...definitely is a win win.

Get me somebody who can move the needle with enough recruits so that we can have an OL which can block and a DL which can defend. And enough skill players so that the cannon runs the risk of running out of ammunition.

You think he's doing it for the pension? How much is his "big state pension" currently? I understand it is zero, but please clue me in.
various Rutgers pension programs.. I would guess that one of these would apply (if AD is a state employee) and, if so, there are probably levels based on years on the job..

Hobbs started Nov 29, 2015.. he'll hit the 5 year mark next year.. no idea if that is a threshold for any benefits. But if he got fired this year he would not make that. The ten year mark would be 2025.. he will have turned 65 in March of 2025. Perhaps there is inventive to meet both those goals.. 10 years at Rutgers and 65 years old. Whatever the potential pension is, it would last for every year of life afterward.. could be 20 years or more of benefits.. year by year it may seem small compared to his $600K pay... but looked at the total value over the rest of his life, it might be considerable. It might also come with health benefits.

various Rutgers pension programs.. I would guess that one of these would apply (if AD is a state employee) and, if so, there are probably levels based on years on the job..

Hobbs started Nov 29, 2015.. he'll hit the 5 year mark next year.. no idea if that is a threshold for any benefits. But if he got fired this year he would not make that. The ten year mark would be 2025.. he will have turned 65 in March of 2025. Perhaps there is inventive to meet both those goals.. 10 years at Rutgers and 65 years old. Whatever the potential pension is, it would last for every year of life afterward.. could be 20 years or more of benefits.. year by year it may seem small compared to his $600K pay... but looked at the total value over the rest of his life, it might be considerable. It might also come with health benefits.

I think the poster was talking about Schiano and not Hobbs.

This is for people that think that Hobbs has been successful otherwise and should pick the new football coach.

“What is pathetic is that they sponsor 24 Big Ten sport teams, have been in the conference 5 years, and still have zero conference championships. 0 for 120. Just putrid.”

You would think you could win one in something just by pure luck.

This is for people that think that Hobbs has been successful otherwise and should pick the new football coach.

“What is pathetic is that they sponsor 24 Big Ten sport teams, have been in the conference 5 years, and still have zero conference championships. 0 for 120. Just putrid.”

You would think you could win one in something just by pure luck.

Rutgers has had many Big Ten champions since joining.

But zero team championships titles so far.

Not zero conference championships.

That's all I ask. Make the calls to Clawson's and Norvell's people and if there is no interest, get Schiano done.

Moorhead could have been brought in last December, but not now when he brings no juice because he is struggling. None of the Leopold or Candles types are in the middle of a good enough run to justify the faith they can make the leap.

Most of the people like me arguing against Schiano were not against Schiano per se, but against the people who acted like his hire should be such a coronation that it could have been done the day after Ash was fired, without any investigation of other options.

Hobbs should absolutely be calling Norvell and Clawson reps first. And why we aren't hearing much about them is either very concerning about this search OR good they are keeping it quiet. Who knows.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
it's obvious they are keeping stuff quiet-- merely look at the lack of real info or rumors from those 3 amigos who some here think are crack reporters---good for Hobbs-stuff will start breaking when there is real and mutual interest from candidate

Its Schiano. Ive ben telling you guys for a while now. And it will be confirmed sooner than you think.
I hope you are right ... still think Schiano is enjoying his retirement and wants one more year off until his daughter graduates ... I really hope you’re right.

Just imagine if they tried to hire Schiano? HAHAHA I think Michigan Fans would burn the Big House to the ground! [roll]
Who knows, after Harbaugh they just might build a shrine to Greg .
Which would be stolen quickly by the only Schiano crowd.
Every away game RU Fans make to the Big House, some of the never Greg protesters will fill up the pool surround the SS (Schiano Shrine) with their tears because of Greg bringing the National Championship to the Wolverine program and they forced Hobbs to hire someone else .
:YesNo:DeadHorse: :BeatDeadHorse:

Another problem Gary will not let the DC and OC do their job he never did, so he says he changed, so should we
give him all the money, and all the power he wants, and cross our fingers that he will change?

Another problem Gary will not let the DC and OC do their job he never did, so he says he changed, so should we
give him all the money, and all the power he wants, and cross our fingers that he will change?
Horseshit. The last year with Cignetti he finally had a OC had as much experience as he did and he left him alone. Everybody keeps saying this isn't the Schiano of 2001. That cuts both ways. His last season he WAS hands off with the offense.

Reactions: BLewis1968
Horseshit. The last year with Cignetti he finally had a OC had as much experience as he did and he left him alone. Everybody keeps saying this isn't the Schiano of 2001. That cuts both ways. His last season he WAS hands off with the offense.
Horace Schmidt

Can't divulge specific details because it's premium info., but there actually is a way Greg could, if announced as HC in the very near future, be able to begin recruiting immediately, as well as help on official visits, and stay within NCAA guidelines.

This isn't conjecture or rumor; it's been confirmed, (as per a premium article)...and I'll just leave things at that.
The rules are fairly black and white. You need to be an assistant coach or up to recruit. I hope the premium article has more substance than that.

My post was to correct bad info in this thread.... that Rutgers can get cute and somehow work around the specific recruiting limitations on a *head* coach, by waiting to call him a head coach.

I don't know how to exactly read into this but compared to all the other HC searches the past few years, Schiano's camp has been pretty quiet.

As for Hobbs, his Rutgers career will be judged on this next hire- period.

The rules are fairly black and white. You need to be an assistant coach or up to recruit. I hope the premium article has more substance than that.

My post was to correct bad info in this thread.... that Rutgers can get cute and somehow work around the specific recruiting limitations on a *head* coach, by waiting to call him a head coach.

Since it's premium content, all I feel I can say additionally is that the article's author, Alex Gleitman, a member of the KnightReport staff and, from what I've read about him, someone who's regarded as a recruiting info. expert, spelled out how Schiano could begin recruiting, helping on officials, etc., and that the way that could be done had been confirmed as legitimate and within the rules prior to the writing of the piece.

-And while I agree what you quoted from the NCAA's site appears to make this a black and white issue, as with many things involving NCAA "rules", that doesn't always turn out to be the reality of the situation.

Last edited:
well then, I hope Hobbs is a premium member

If our AD needs premium to find out something the staff of TKR already knows and has already confirmed, then Lord help us. -(I'll give Hobbs the benefit of the doubt here and really hope that isn't the case.)

IF these reports are true, that Hobbs had to be talked into considering Schiano and that Hobbs really wants Moorhead, then he should be fired immediately.

A blind, deaf, and dumb person can tell that Schiano should be the number one choice and that he should have been his first phone call.

IF Hobbs screws this up, he must be fire immediately!!!

You guys should brace yourself if it's not Schiano. What makes you think Schiano wants to come back and go thru a major rebuild at his stage in life? Yea, Hobbs may want him but does Schiano want to come back to RU when there might be better options available for him if he chooses to come back to coaching.

You guys should brace yourself if it's not Schiano. What makes you think Schiano wants to come back and go thru a major rebuild at his stage in life? Yea, Hobbs may want him but does Schiano want to come back to RU when there might be better options available for him if he chooses to come back to coaching.

That is the 4 million dollar question

But as I have mentioned, Hobbs is 62 now. Unless he is going the Barry Alvarez route, the new coach will be given 3-4 years. Hobbs will be 65-66 and may be ready to retire. Maybe not, as he may want to keep working, and may need to since he just got married.

EDIT- whoops, did not see @rutgersguy1 's post above.

Hobbs is only 59 now. Not that it makes much of a difference.

Best of Luck,
Groz

ADVERTISEMENT