Gold Member
Jul 28, 2001
Nice raise for our ex-coach.

Best of Luck,
Groz

schianoface.gif

We need more Schiano threads.

Wait for it . . . . .

Other than Greg’s love for the Buckeyes, is there another reason he withdrew his name from the Pats DC opening?

While I thought Greg would get the position, Belichick is known for promoting from within the organization and it looks like that will happen again. That’s also how Steven Belichick has moved up on the staff.

Starting to look like the Pats did not want to go outside the organization for the new DC. That would also explain Greg withdrawing his name from the job.

That is great! He can afford his old house here when he replaces Ash!!

He's not coming back here.
BTW, I wonder how many years must pass before people here realize that Rutgers football peaked when GS was here.

Reactions: tico brown
And it's only $3 million less per year than he should have gotten at Tennessee. Hope he sues them. He did not deserve that.

He's not coming back here.
BTW, I wonder how many years must pass before people here realize that Rutgers football peaked when GS was here.
We succeeded under GS based on the level of competition, what I don't think some people on here realize is that we have no chance to compete within the B1G East Division until there is some type of realignment no matter who coaches the team. OSU, Penn State, Mich, and even MSU will do what it takes to stay at the top of the division and they don't play by the same rules as we do. OSU and Penn State should never be in the same division, it is absolutely ridiculous and a joke.

And it's only $3 million less per year than he should have gotten at Tennessee. Hope he sues them. He did not deserve that.

Can you briefly lay out the case where UT is libel for Gregg losing his preliminary offer to be HC?

Cause if more signatures were needed on the signing agreement then UT may be in the clear. Of course that’s my opinion, not fact.

Can you briefly lay out the case where UT is libel for Gregg losing his preliminary offer to be HC?

Cause if more signatures were needed on the signing agreement then UT may be in the clear. Of course that’s my opinion, not fact.
---------------------
Well they clearly damaged his reputation and future earning power. He signed and other senior Tennessee signatures were on paper, just not the final signature needed. They announced publicly he was coming (final signature a formality) and then changed their mind when the hysterical students used unfounded and/or unproven allegations to slander him. Tennessee's actions in reneging validates the students claim, thus damaging his reputation, and he is not able to be hired at any University for now, except OSU where he is currently. He has clearly been damaged by them and while one can argue that final signature was needed to be binding, one can also argue the unjustifiable actions of Tennessee caused him irreparable harm. They had their opportunity to do due diligence before offering the job and announcing him as the coach and everything the students protested was previously known to them and in the public domain. If they were disturbed by the totally unverified PSU allegations against Schiano then they should not have offered him the job. They caved to student protest and in the process not only reneged on a job but made it nearly impossible for him to get a high profile college head coaching job for which he would have certainly been the lead candidate at a lot of universities. A good lawyer could certainly make a good case and U Tenn would likely settle.

Tennessee's AD ( at the time) had signed a memorandum of understanding, which put the Vols in a position where they might owe Schiano money for the botched deal. But it also might be declaredinvalid because the right members of the Tennessee administration didn’t sign it.
So if Schiano wants to try and collect claiming it was a legal and binding document signed in good faith and Tennessee claims good faith by him and their ex AD doesn't mean a thing: it will be up to the courts to decide if that MOU should have been honored or not.

Libel? Maybe the fanbase and many on Twitter calling him an enabler. UT Liable? Perhaps for breach of contract. But the lack of signatures, which they could be a lie-able issue could give UT the out.

Libel? Maybe the fanbase and many on Twitter calling him an enabler. UT Liable? Perhaps for breach of contract. But the lack of signatures, which they could be a lie-able issue could give UT the out.

That’s my point. If it wasn’t a binding contract then UT may be in the clear.

UT is not responsible for their fan base reaction and the media guy that ignited the storm.

Gotta give Greg credit.. He always knew how to swindle a pay raise outta somebody. Osu with all that talent- hasn't made the playoffs since Schiano became the defensive coordinator. Meyer better wake up
They did his first year and probably should have this year. They had a crappy loss at Iowa but the most impressive wins of all teams that were considered. He knows Defense. If we paid hi. $1.5M he might have stayed.

UT is liable. The person who offered had the rights under his job to offer. Schiano looks to be smart in turning the page. He is young. Suing someone at this point would make make him a blacklist canidate.
And the other completely stupid comments that he doesn't deserve a raise is just from the usual haters. I don't know what is worse, the multiple threads on him or those that think he was/is a bad coach.

Gotta give Greg credit.. He always knew how to swindle a pay raise outta somebody. Osu with all that talent- hasn't made the playoffs since Schiano became the defensive coordinator. Meyer better wake up

How did he swindle tOSU out of a pay raise? All assistants were given pay raises because they are valued and do a good job. That is what good programs do. Sure they want him to stay, why wouldn't they? Nowhere close to them being swindled. So just like with your statement about the Buckeyes not making the playoffs with Schiano you are wrong.

Reactions: lighty and RAA-1
How did he swindle tOSU out of a pay raise? All assistants were given pay raises because they are valued and do a good job. That is what good programs do. Sure they want him to stay, why wouldn't they? Nowhere close to them being swindled. So just like with your statement about the Buckeyes not making the playoffs with Schiano you are wrong.

Many RU fans never, ever let facts get in the way. We were a small time program with many small time fans - over time, hopefully, that will change.

Reactions: TRU2RU
Other than Greg’s love for the Buckeyes, is there another reason he withdrew his name from the Pats DC opening?

While I thought Greg would get the position, Belichick is known for promoting from within the organization and it looks like that will happen again. That’s also how Steven Belichick has moved up on the staff.

Starting to look like the Pats did not want to go outside the organization for the new DC. That would also explain Greg withdrawing his name from the job.
Maybe he's got some inside info that Belichick is retiring after one more season which would also explain why McDaniels stayed?

They did his first year and probably should have this year. They had a crappy loss at Iowa but the most impressive wins of all teams that were considered. He knows Defense. If we paid hi. $1.5M he might have stayed.

Didn't he have a $2M annual package from Rutgers when he left for Tampa?

Didn't he have a $2M annual package from Rutgers when he left for Tampa?
I don't remember but that was the least indicative of my point. Since you asked nicely unlike the troll, I was thinking Tampa paid him $2M/yr when I typed it. Whatever the numbers were, we were and still are behind the big time programs in what is getting to be way out of control.

My point is OSU pays well, he deserves it based on merit, and we need to catch up even though they are all overpaid IMO.

Can't remember if I read it in a post here or on social media but one 'conspiracy theory' was... that he was taking the DC job for the Pats with the thought of moving up to head coach in the post Belicheck era. However, reading further when McDaniel gave up the Indy job to stay as OC, the notion of him getting the HC spot after belicheck seemed plausible and thus Schiano didnt want to come anymore (knowing his upward mobility was gone within that organization).

Reactions: 3rdandLong21
Many RU fans never, ever let facts get in the way. We were a small time program with many small time fans - over time, hopefully, that will change.
And don't know about anyone else but don't call me a small time fan and all those that have been supporting this program through many crappy seasons over the last 40 years.

Regarding the Tennessee thing, no doubt schianos lawyer has stated his case for why he is owed money and Tennessee has stated their case for why he is owed less. And they are doing some negotiating, I assume, unless he has already settled.

Because that’s how it works in contracts when one party feels screwed by another party.

Please just stop with all of the Schiano posts. He sold us down the river and took every assistant except Flood with him.

Man, best news I've gotten all day. That means the 31-0 loss to Clemson WAS a nightmare.

Man, best news I've gotten all day. That means the 31-0 loss to Clemson WAS a nightmare.
Im not talking about when he was brought in as some co coordinator. He didn't have the opportunity yet- to get his full hands on that defense- and taint the product.. Now that he's the head man- Osu hasn't been to the playoffs since. Meyer is to great of a coach, and way to much talent. Greg has infected the Osu winning culture- with his excuse making, and losing mentality.. Don't be surprised if they miss the playoffs again

Im not talking about when he was brought in as some co coordinator. He didn't have the opportunity yet- to get his full hands on that defense- and taint the product.. Now that he's the head man- Osu hasn't been to the playoffs since. Meyer is to great of a coach, and way to much talent. Greg has infected the Osu winning culture- with his excuse making, and losing mentality.. Don't be surprised if they miss the playoffs again

[roll]

Reactions: RUsSKii and lighty
Please just stop with all of the Schiano posts. He sold us down the river and took every assistant except Flood with him.

He left for a head coaching job in the NFL....something anyone would have done.
He was the best chance Rutgers ever had to compete with the Big Boys. And I'd love to hear which other Rutgers head coach ever had a chance to do that.
Some of you need to wake up. Rutgers football is never gonna be comparable to Ohio State or Michigan or Pedd State.
Face it....the program peaked with Greg Schiano.

Reactions: hern4144
He was the best chance Rutgers ever had to compete with the Big Boys.
. . .

Face it....the program peaked with Greg Schiano.

Yes and yes.

Can you imagine how much further along we would be as a program if we had hired GS this last go around?

I don't remember but that was the least indicative of my point. Since you asked nicely unlike the troll, I was thinking Tampa paid him $2M/yr when I typed it. Whatever the numbers were, we were and still are behind the big time programs in what is getting to be way out of control.

My point is OSU pays well, he deserves it based on merit, and we need to catch up even though they are all overpaid IMO.
He was making around 2M/yr when he left I believe he got 3M/yr from TB, a 5yr 15M dollar deal IIRC.

Was just reading the other day on footballscoop OSU is the first school paying its assistants 7M plus in total. Now I suppose you could say a small chunk of that increase is the 10th assistant but take that out and its still a lot. Coaching salaries are way out of control as I've said here many times. Schools take all the risk and coaches get all the rewards and ADs never seem to really care and they all just follow the herd.

And he never got Rutgers a BCS Berth with all of that NFL talent he and his coaches recruited.

And he never got Rutgers a BCS Berth with all of that NFL talent he and his coaches recruited.
He might not have been the greatest gameday HC in the world, but Schiano did make RU FB into a program that (with the right backing from administration and booster donations along with a local media outlet that wasn't making mountains out of molehills) looked like it would be the type of program people claim he never made it into.
So yes :" he never got Rutgers a BCS Berth " he also never won the Big East Championship or even a co Championship , but he did turn Rutgers football into the type of program that RU fans could complain about those things.
Instead of just moping around feeling RU FB not only would never come close to winning a BE Championship and a BCS appearance would always be beyond the program's reach, RU fans seriously doubted the program they rooted for would even have a winning season.

So despite all the things Greg didn't do, he did do one thing : where they was no hope before he came, Schiano instilled the expectations of greatness for the RU FB program by the time he left.

Reactions: RUsSKii and lighty

1. With "all of that NFL talent", he never had enough to accomplish what you're talking about.
2. Call me when some other Rutgers head football coach gets anywhere close to a BCS berth. Ain't happening.
IMO you are blaming Schiano for not accomplishing that which can't be accomplished here.

Reactions: hern4144
ADVERTISEMENT