ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano just got a raise to 1 Million a year

And he never got Rutgers a BCS Berth with all of that NFL talent he and his coaches recruited.
He finished #12 Rico and the recruits were not near #12 on paper. He taught and coaches them very well. Wake me up when we get back to #12.

With these raises, Ohio State now pays its assistants $7 million per year. Rutgers pays its assistants, what, $3 million?

Any questions?

1. With "all of that NFL talent", he never had enough to accomplish what you're talking about.
2. Call me when some other Rutgers head football coach gets anywhere close to a BCS berth. Ain't happening.
IMO you are blaming Schiano for not accomplishing that which can't be accomplished here.
Excuses.. Even Randy Edsall took Uconn to a bcs game. Greg just couldn't get it done because it's not in him. We certainly could have made a bcs game in a weak Big East. But a clueless gameday coach- like Greg Schiano- will always come up short

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
He finished #12 Rico and the recruits were not near #12 on paper. He taught and coaches them very well. Wake me up when we get back to #12.
He had one good year - going against a very weak schedule. Then in our most important game.. He got beat by a true freshman BACKUP quarterback- making his first start lol. That's "Gameday Greg" for you.

Greg was a mess on offense. Never had a real red zone offense even when he had players. Offensive coaches never quite seemed to help much. Horrible OL recruiting for a couple years sealed GS fate. Keeping Nova as starter his first year ruined a season that could have been good. That team had potential but got sacrificed to the learning curve.

That said, GS was an Old Testament coach. Like Moses he was better at showing how to get to the "promised land" than actually being able to enter. He built a culture and created the vibe needed to expand. His players are still in Super Bowls.

What about the other years? I'l give you the first five years because he had to rebuild that program. What about after 2006?

1. With "all of that NFL talent", he never had enough to accomplish what you're talking about.
2. Call me when some other Rutgers head football coach gets anywhere close to a BCS berth. Ain't happening.
IMO you are blaming Schiano for not accomplishing that which can't be accomplished here.
We're not talking about some other Rutgers head football coach. We're talking about the sainted coach who can do no wrong in the eyes of many here but have a competent offense to complement the defense and have at least ONE BCS Berth with all that NFL talent he got. Either he was a good enough coach or not. Either the kids were good enough or not. Cant have it both ways when Cincinatti, UConn, UCF, got BCS berths with less.

The fact is that Schiano made Rutgers respectable in college football... sadly, we haven't been able to say that for a while.

What about the other years? I'l give you the first five years because he had to rebuild that program. What about after 2006?
how many of the years after 06 did he get Rutgers to a bowl game and have a winning record.
He took RU bowling 4 of the 5 years he was RU's HC after 06 and was 38-26 for those five years .

You act like Schiano didn't build a winning program.
What he didn't do : is build a top program and his teams always fell short of being considered one of the best.

Makes me wonder why some RU fans act like Greg Schiano became Terry Shea reincarnated , after the 2006 season .

how many of the years after 06 did he get Rutgers to a bowl game and have a winning record.
He took RU bowling 4 of the 5 years he was RU's HC after 06 and was 38-26 for those five years .

What he didn't do : is build a top program and his teams always fell short of being considered one of the best.

Makes me wonder why some RU fans act like Greg Schiano became Terry Shea reincarnated , after the 2006 season .

Listen, I talk to lots of college football fans who are not Rutgers fans. Most of them think Schiano accomplished more here than they thought was ever possible.
And they laugh about Rutgers fans who bitch that GS didn't win enough. And yes....they remember Flood and Shea and Graber and Anderson.
GS was the only one who could attract enough players here....a good chunk of them from Florida....to make RU respectable. Who else is gonna do that ?
Mario Verduzco ?
Some of you need to put things in perspective.

Greg was a mess on offense. Never had a real red zone offense even when he had players. Offensive coaches never quite seemed to help much. Horrible OL recruiting for a couple years sealed GS fate. Keeping Nova as starter his first year ruined a season that could have been good. That team had potential but got sacrificed to the learning curve.

That said, GS was an Old Testament coach. Like Moses he was better at showing how to get to the "promised land" than actually being able to enter. He built a culture and created the vibe needed to expand. His players are still in Super Bowls.
We have one of his offensive coaches now...

And let's not forget that one of those season was 2010, the year of EL's injury, after which the team pretty much lost their way. 4-2 beforehand, 0-6 the rest of the way.

He got beat by a true freshman BACKUP quarterback

You've posted this many times, so I'll just quote what I've previously wrote:

As far as J. Brown, we sacked him twice, picked him off once, and held him under 50% passing. For a second year QB, who'd gotten some playing time on the most explosive team in the country, that's all we could ask of our D.​

You've posted this many times, so I'll just quote what I've previously wrote:

As far as J. Brown, we sacked him twice, picked him off once, and held him under 50% passing. For a second year QB, who'd gotten some playing time on the most explosive team in the country, that's all we could ask of our D.​
Ok. How about this..

2007: Maryland- 246 rushing yds. Embarrassed us.. Uconn- 38pts, 256 rushing yds.

2008: Fresno St over 200+ rushing. Embarrassed us. UNC blows us out 44-12.

2009: Celebrating our new stadium. Cincy embarrasses us- 47-15 lol. Bad Syracuse team- blows us out- 31-13.

2010: Loses to freaking Tulane, and that's before Eric's injury. Pitt drops 41pts, Cincy drops 69pts, UL 40pts.

2011: WVU drops 41pts on us, Uconn drops 40pts on us lol.

Greg Schiano is not some great coach. The guy scratched, and clawed to bowl eligibility- by scheduling weak opponents. It also made his defensive numbers look better than the really were. Greg was never gonna win anything here

Last edited:
Ok. How about this..

2007: Maryland- 246 rushing yds. Embarrassed us.. Uconn- 38pts, 256 rushing yds.

2009: Celebrating our new stadium. Cincy embarrasses us- 47-15 lol. Bad Syracuse team- blows us out- 31-13.

2010: Loses to freaking Tulane, and that's before Eric's injury. Pitt drops 41pts, Cincy drops 69pts, UL 40pts.

Greg Schiano is not some great coach. The guy scratched, and clawed to bowl eligibility- by scheduling weak opponents. It also made his defensive numbers look better than the really were. Greg was never gonna win anything here

Much truth in this post, whether RU fans like it or not.

Ok. How about this..

Who has done anywhere near as well as Greg Schiano with the Rutgers football program ?
And please don't cite me coaches from when the team was only white guys or the big game of the year was Bucknell.

Ok. How about this..

3ufe85_zpsd120d176.jpg

Reactions: MADHAT1
He did something more important. He got Rutgers into the Big 10.
Oh, he did something better than that: he got people to care about Rutgers Football!

Average Attendance:

Last 3 years under Shea: 24.5K
First 2 years under Schiano: 20.1K
Last 2 years under Schiano: 45K
Last 2 years under Flood: 49.2K
Last 2 years under Ash: 42.3K

Listen, I talk to lots of college football fans who are not Rutgers fans. Most of them think Schiano accomplished more here than they thought was ever possible.
And they laugh about Rutgers fans who bitch that GS didn't win enough. And yes....they remember Flood and Shea and Graber and Anderson.
GS was the only one who could attract enough players here....a good chunk of them from Florida....to make RU respectable. Who else is gonna do that ?
Mario Verduzco ?
Some of you need to put things in perspective.
Yes they laugh at our fans but they also admit some of their fans are dumbasses too. We are not alone there.

And let's not forget that one of those season was 2010, the year of EL's injury, after which the team pretty much lost their way. 4-2 beforehand, 0-6 the rest of the way.
Shows he was a shitty coach. Lots of teams have heartache and experience injury and even death and don't fold

Reactions: tico brown
-2011 Alabama won the National Championship after their whole town was wiped out by a tornado.
-1989 Colorado went 11-1 but lost in the National Championship game after their quarterback died from cancer that September.

I'm sure there were plenty of other tragedies and im not going to include plane crashes that wiped out college and pro teams. But others have recovered and thrived on their situations.

He did something more important. He got Rutgers into the Big 10.
If he knew Rutgers were going into the Big 10, he wouldn't have left a week before singing day. He would've stuck it out and reaped the rewards of a Big 10 coach (deservedly so btw).

OSU's D was ranked 9th in the country and 3rd in B1G
That's a pretty good D Greg put in place in 2017.
As for disasters not affecting performance, some are so widespread across the community that the team comes together to overcome it.
But if it's on a personal level where the players see one of their own receive a horrible injury , that tends to affect the team for a long time.
Especially if the injured player is never going to be the same again.

The vocal minority strikes again. Just because you say dumb things repeatedly does not make them any more believable. Actually the opposite rings true. Just know I am laughing AT the two of you and not with you. Lol

OSU's D was ranked 9th in the country and 3rd in B1G
That's a pretty good D Greg put in place in 2017.
As for disasters not affecting performance, some are so widespread across the community that the team comes together to overcome it.
But if it's on a personal level where the players see one of their own receive a horrible injury , that tends to affect the team for a long time.
Lol...you must be joking. look at the talent and look at the games. also, it's the same d, he made no real changes than when ash was there

Last edited:

I bet the Uconn 2009 football team felt it on a personal level- when their teammate Jasper Howard- was stabbed and killed in the middle of the season. They didn't quit though. They fought hard every game after- and finished 8-5. Had some nice wins over Norte Dame, and beat South Carolina in their bowl game too.

I bet the Uconn 2009 football team felt it on a personal level- when their teammate Jasper Howard- was stabbed and killed in the middle of the season. They didn't quit though. They fought hard every game after- and finished 8-5. Had some nice wins over Norte Dame, and beat South Carolina in their bowl game too.
yes they did, but he wasn't playing on the field at the time so the whole team could see what happend and know any play during a game, any game, it could happen to them.
Being killed like Jasper was can be considered a tragedy that UConn overcame, but it was quite different then the devastating injury that EL received in the Army game that the whole team could see and be reminded of every game after that with EL in the hospital and not on the field .
I'm not making Howard's death less meaningful, just saying it didn't affect the UConn team the same way LeGrand being paralyzed in front of the team affect the RU players.
Different incidents and circumstances

Reactions: RUsSKii
yes they did, but he wasn't playing on the field at the time so the whole team could see what happend and know any play during a game, any game, it could happen to them.
Being killed like Jasper was can be considered a tragedy that UConn overcame, but it was quite different then the devastating injury that EL received in the Army game that the whole team could see and be reminded of every game after that with EL in the hospital and not on the field .
I'm not making Howard's death less meaningful, just saying it didn't affect the UConn team the same way LeGrand being paralyzed in front of the team affect the RU players.
Different incidents and circumstances

Ok. Fair point. So why did the 2010 team appear so poorly coached before Eric's injury?? You remember.. We opened up the season- struggling to beat FIU. And then went back to back losses.. To a 5 loss UNC, and (4-8) Tulane team. I guess without Eric's injury - it's possible we would have scratch & clawed to another mediocre bowl. BTW.. Norfolk, FIU, UNC, Tulane, and Army- was a hell of OOC schedule! LOL

Last edited:
Ok. Fair point. So why did the 2010 team appear so poorly coached before Eric's injury?? You remember.. We opened up the season- struggling to beat FIU. And then went back to back losses.. To a 5 loss UNC, and (4-8) Tulane team. I guess without Eric's injury - it's possible we would have scratch & clawed to another mediocre bowl. BTW.. Norfolk, FIU, UNC, Tulane, and Army- was a hell of OOC schedule! LOL
Can't claim what would have happened if Eric wasn't injured , but going by how Rutgers went to bowl games every year from 2005 on, except for 2010, I would say a minor bowl game would probably happen.
UConn won the BE Championship that year and RU beat them the game before Eric was injured .
I'd say the heart was taken out of the team, even though they gave their all, once they found out the extent of Eric's injuries after the Army game was over .

Can't claim what would have happened if Eric wasn't injured , but going by how Rutgers went to bowl games every year from 2005 on, except for 2010, I would say a minor bowl game would probably happen.

UConn won the BE Championship that year and RU beat them the game before Eric was injured .

Uconn wasn't anything special that year. They loss to Temple, and got blown out by Louisville 26-0. So we beat Uconn.. The next week went back to looking like crap against army. Army was beating us 17-3 at the halftime. When you stack your schedule with Norfolk, Florida International, Tulane, and Army. It's hard to lose 6 games. It looked like Greg was gonna pull it off regardless of Eric's injury. Meanwhile Cincy, and Uconn- were scheduling OOC opponents- like Oklahoma, Tennessee, Michigan, Notre Dame, and etc. Both won the conference, and both played in a BCS bowl. Schiano was just a FRAUD.

Reactions: tico brown
Uconn wasn't anything special that year. They loss to Temple, and got blown out by Louisville 26-0. So we beat Uconn.. The next week went back to looking like crap against army. Army was beating us 17-3 at the halftime. When you stack your schedule with Norfolk, Florida International, Tulane, and Army. It's hard to lose 6 games. It looked like Greg was gonna pull it off regardless of Eric's injury. Meanwhile Cincy, and Uconn- were scheduling OOC opponents- like Oklahoma, Tennessee, Michigan, Notre Dame, and etc. Both won the conference, and both played in a BCS bowl. Schiano was just a FRAUD.
UConn beat WV,Pitt, Syracuse and USF that year, not special but better than you imply.

All this anti-Schiano stuff is stale, but still funny.
If you wanna evaluate the job that the guy did, perhaps you should compare that with how others who held the same position at Rutgers fared.
Perhaps Greg seems so good to us because we've seen Anderson's teams and Graber's teams and Shea's teams and Flood's teams and yes...even Ash's teams.
It's not hard to figure why GS eventually was offered a head coaching job in the NFL and no other Rutgers head coach ever was. Or why GS put more RU footballers in the NFL than all of the other coaches at RU put together.
Perhaps one day Ash will show everyone that you don't have to be named Schiano to make RU relevant in college football. We'll see.

Reactions: MADHAT1
UConn beat WV,Pitt, Syracuse and USF that year, not special but better than you imply.
Don't bother trying to respond, some people are so fixated with their hate that nothing will sway them. It's akin to playing whack-a-mole.

Im not talking about when he was brought in as some co coordinator. He didn't have the opportunity yet- to get his full hands on that defense- and taint the product.. Now that he's the head man- Osu hasn't been to the playoffs since. Meyer is to great of a coach, and way to much talent. Greg has infected the Osu winning culture- with his excuse making, and losing mentality.. Don't be surprised if they miss the playoffs again
Sorry I'm late and resurrecting a dead thread, but I want to make sure I'm understanding your point. Your point is that Ohio State didn't make the playoffs in 2017?

ADVERTISEMENT