ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano lbs

Has this thread pivoted to poverty? Pardon my privilege, but are most people meal planning around a $3 meal for a family?

There are a.lot of varieties of low carb pastas that are healthier than the processed garbage brands. Also, choosing a tomato sauce that is not laden with sugar is important.

Here is a great promotion by the American Diabetes Association that came up in my Twitter feed. They are clowning people.

No doubt their are ways to eat healthy and do it affordably.. once you have a little bit of money though… However the point remains there is no cheaper meal on planet earth (at least to my knowledge) than Ramen Noodles. Awful for you, we all ate a ton of them in college and shortly after when we were broke…. And that was the point, we were broke. Ramen or Mac and Cheese with a $1 bag of steamable frozen Veg was a common meal between my wife and I in our first apartment

Last edited:
Reactions: fsg2 and dconifer
No doubt their are ways to eat healthy and do it affordably.. once you have a little bit of money though… However the point remains there is no cheaper meal on planet earth (at least to my knowledge) than Ramen Noodles. Awful for you, we all ate a ton of them in college and shortly after when we were broke…. And that was the point, we were broke. Ramen or Mac and Cheese with a $1 bag of steamable frozen Veg was a common meal between my wife and I in our first apartment
Ha ha, I ate so many packs of Ramen Noodles during a certain period. Are they even food?

Has this thread pivoted to poverty? Pardon my privilege, but are most people meal planning around a $3 meal for a family?

There are a.lot of varieties of low carb pastas that are healthier than the processed garbage brands. Also, choosing a tomato sauce that is not laden with sugar is important.

Here is a great promotion by the American Diabetes Association that came up in my Twitter feed. They are clowning people.

I thought the question being discussed was simply whether it's cheaper to eat healthy or unhealthy. My grocery bills have 100 percent gone up since becoming more health conscious. And planning meals I want to eat takes more time and effort. Worth it, simply more expensive and time-consuming.

Sure, if you grow your entire stock of food or go to the butcher, baker and vegetable market every day, maybe you can do healthy more cheaply. But how many Americans are doing any of that in the real world? And how valuable is your time in the equation?

Reactions: Knight Shift
I thought the question being discussed was simply whether it's cheaper to eat healthy or unhealthy. My grocery bills have 100 percent gone up since becoming more health conscious. And planning meals I want to eat takes more time and effort. Worth it, simply more expensive and time-consuming.

Sure, if you grow your entire stock of food or go to the butcher, baker and vegetable market every day, maybe you can do healthy more cheaply. But how many Americans are doing any of that in the real world? And how valuable is your time in the equation?
That's a good question. Let's turn this into a saying like the ball is the program. "Your diet is your life." By "diet," I don't mean dieting to lose weight, I mean the things people consume on a daily basis.

Time? Less time and forethought into what you consume will likely mean less time alive, unless you happen to be lucky. Sure, there are people who can consume a lot of "unhealthy" cars and not suffer any ill effects, but many people will gain a lot of weight to the point of become morbidly obese and get diabetes, which will trigger a lot of other health problems. As an aside, I met a client who was 90 years old, fit as a fiddle, crushed my hand when we shook hands, and he was downing 2 bagels slathered with cream cheese for his breakfast. Some people are lucky that way.

Back to our meal planning and prep time. Once we figured it out, it does not seem to be any more time consuming to prepare meals that we know are healthy versus preparing boxed spaghetti and sauce for meal. Most of our food is purchased at the supermarket, so we do not go to butchers, bakers and candle stick makers. Vegetables are not terribly expensive, and I gave the example of growing your own for those who may be really poor and cost constrained.

Really poor people have food stamps. I know some people on food stamps. They eat really well. Comically, I know a person who was offering to buy lobster and seafood for friends at the holidays because they had so many foodstamps that they could buy more food than they needed. And this person is very healthy.

The strange thing is that you see a LOT of very wealthy people making millions of dollars per year who are very obese. A lot of them are football coaches, which is strange, because they are surrounded by nutrition and medical experts. They could also afford to hire registered dieticians and/or order out healthy food from a place like Get Clean Bro. It's something to think about. Probably these people are so stressed out by their jobs and job security, they don't think about how to manage their own health. Food becomes comfort to them, and the go down a path of consuming a lot of "bad" food. I'm guessing that is what led to Mike Leach's early death. And he was a very intelligent person. Graduated in the top 25% of his class from Pepperdine Law School.

Who wants to join me for lunch today? Water with squeezed lemon, brussel sprouts, olive oil and 10 almonds! The lunch of champions. 😂

Who wants to join me for lunch today? Water with squeezed lemon, brussel sprouts, olive oil and 10 almonds! The lunch of champions. 😂
I'm supposed to eat more or less like you, for health reasons. But I ate like shit in 2021, got back on track for some of 2022, but went hog-wild during the holidays and am struggling to get back on track now for 2023.

Part of the problem is I'm committed to eating the lucky pint of Ben & Jerry's for RUMBB games. Every game we do great in, I eat a pint. But I failed to eat a pint during the Iowa game (was busy and had to watch a recording of it later that evening). And look what happened?

I feel like it would be totally selfish of me to put avoiding diabetes, heart attacks, strokes, and limb removals if the cost of doing so is to hamper everybody's joy in winning basketball games.

I'm supposed to eat more or less like you, for health reasons. But I ate like shit in 2021, got back on track for some of 2022, but went hog-wild during the holidays and am struggling to get back on track now for 2023.

Part of the problem is I'm committed to eating the lucky pint of Ben & Jerry's for RUMBB games. Every game we do great in, I eat a pint. But I failed to eat a pint during the Iowa game (was busy and had to watch a recording of it later that evening). And look what happened?

I feel like it would be totally selfish of me to put avoiding diabetes, heart attacks, strokes, and limb removals if the cost of doing so is to hamper everybody's joy in winning basketball games.
Start eating that ice cream now and don’t stop until the tournament is over.

• Haha
Reactions: mildone
I don’t TBI k 238 is too far off during the season. Greg is right around 6ft.

As for body shaming- no one has taken the fight for plus sized men yet- we are still open game for body shaming but fat girls get million dollar contracts…
Ha this is so true !!

Maybe start the cause ??

Ha this is so true !!

Maybe start the cause ??
myself- I have no problem if someone is skinny, overweight, etc...heck- some of the skinny people look less healthy than some obese. But, to have a person 50-100lbs overweight and act like it is healthy, I can't wrap my head around that.
And it is strange now how the plus size has taken over for women, that is in acting singing and modeling- and yet, the male seems to still have to be in shape.

Reactions: Plum Street
That's a good question. Let's turn this into a saying like the ball is the program. "Your diet is your life." By "diet," I don't mean dieting to lose weight, I mean the things people consume on a daily basis.

Time? Less time and forethought into what you consume will likely mean less time alive, unless you happen to be lucky. Sure, there are people who can consume a lot of "unhealthy" cars and not suffer any ill effects, but many people will gain a lot of weight to the point of become morbidly obese and get diabetes, which will trigger a lot of other health problems. As an aside, I met a client who was 90 years old, fit as a fiddle, crushed my hand when we shook hands, and he was downing 2 bagels slathered with cream cheese for his breakfast. Some people are lucky that way.

Back to our meal planning and prep time. Once we figured it out, it does not seem to be any more time consuming to prepare meals that we know are healthy versus preparing boxed spaghetti and sauce for meal. Most of our food is purchased at the supermarket, so we do not go to butchers, bakers and candle stick makers. Vegetables are not terribly expensive, and I gave the example of growing your own for those who may be really poor and cost constrained.

Really poor people have food stamps. I know some people on food stamps. They eat really well. Comically, I know a person who was offering to buy lobster and seafood for friends at the holidays because they had so many foodstamps that they could buy more food than they needed. And this person is very healthy.

The strange thing is that you see a LOT of very wealthy people making millions of dollars per year who are very obese. A lot of them are football coaches, which is strange, because they are surrounded by nutrition and medical experts. They could also afford to hire registered dieticians and/or order out healthy food from a place like Get Clean Bro. It's something to think about. Probably these people are so stressed out by their jobs and job security, they don't think about how to manage their own health. Food becomes comfort to them, and the go down a path of consuming a lot of "bad" food. I'm guessing that is what led to Mike Leach's early death. And he was a very intelligent person. Graduated in the top 25% of his class from Pepperdine Law School.

All good points.

I have trouble with such strict term...ie diet is life. If I get hit by a runaway Tesla tomorrow, I'd like to know my last three meals weren't broccoli filets, prunes and essence of chicken liver. I eat way healthier than I did 5 or 10 years but need some balance (like the Xmas cookies I finally finished a day ago).

Gonna have to raincheck that lunch. Focus is all on burning calories today ...in two feet of blissful snow!

All good points.

I have trouble with such strict term...ie diet is life. If I get hit by a runaway Tesla tomorrow, I'd like to know my last three meals weren't broccoli filets, prunes and essence of chicken liver. I eat way healthier than I did 5 or 10 years but need some balance (like the Xmas cookies I finally finished a day ago).

Gonna have to raincheck that lunch. Focus is all on burning calories today ...in two feet of blissful snow!
nail on the head!

It is why these celebrities can do what they do- they hire chefs that make a piece of cardboard taste like a sloppy Joe with onion rings.

And there is a happy middle- I do watch my son stick to a pretty strict regimen. but put a great baked good in front of him and oh man...but he sits at 8% or so body fat at 35 y/o
take away those cupcakes, cookies and his Moms dumplings, and he would not be able to stick to his very strict diet

Reactions: fsg2
All good points.

See Below.
nail on the head!

It is why these celebrities can do what they do- they hire chefs that make a piece of cardboard taste like a sloppy Joe with onion rings.

And there is a happy middle- I do watch my son stick to a pretty strict regimen. but put a great baked good in front of him and oh man...but he sits at 8% or so body fat at 35 y/o
take away those cupcakes, cookies and his Moms dumplings, and he would not be able to stick to his very strict diet
I'm not as strict as I made it sound. That lunch was totally made up. If I was still a practicing Catholic, I would need to say 4,000 Hail Marys for the eating sins I have committed. Like anyone else, I'm far from perfect with diet.
Things I almost never eat: chips, bread, candy, donuts, pastries, cake, processed foods such as granola or energy bars, anything with seed oils (salad dressing and a lot of stuff that is pre-packaged).
Things I will have occasionally: pizza, ice cream. If we keep ice cream out of the house, I don't eat it.
The struggle is still real.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
He was talking with Boomer during a break last night. I thought he looked fine. It was ironic that he showed up on a night when the white smoke was released regarding the selection of an OC.
Boomer isn't exactly svelte.

See Below.

I'm not as strict as I made it sound. That lunch was totally made up. If I was still a practicing Catholic, I would need to say 4,000 Hail Marys for the eating sins I have committed. Like anyone else, I'm far from perfect with diet.
Things I almost never eat: chips, bread, candy, donuts, pastries, cake, processed foods such as granola or energy bars, anything with seed oils (salad dressing and a lot of stuff that is pre-packaged).
Things I will have occasionally: pizza, ice cream. If we keep ice cream out of the house, I don't eat it.
The struggle is still real.
Completely understand and almost started to dislike you for counting almonds. Lol
We have not cut things out but have cut them sides and for our staples, we got smarter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT