ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano on Tennessee short list

I will gladly eat crow if he gets a top flight P5 job. I will also enjoy Tennesee's march to 6-6 campaigns.
Hey all it takes is one, somewhat like selling a home. Just got to find that one. I didn't think Schiano should've ever sniffed an NFL job but it takes just one NFL owner with the recommendation of legend like Belichick and boom it can happen.

Same for this although I think this go around is more realistic in my mind than that ever would have been. He's been "blessed" by the Meyer touch now for 2 years and you'd like to think he's improved in that time so who knows. I think it pretty much depends on how he's evolved on offense. If he's evolved maybe he'll do okay but if not then I don't think he'll live up to Tenn expectations. That's not something we can know.

Think he'll be on a few short lists before season is over.
Can't say I see him as a top choice for what Tenn can afford, but think he'll find a College HC position for 2018 somewhere .

Can't say I see him as a top choice for what Tenn can afford, but think he'll find a College HC position for 2018 somewhere .
Me too but I had him pegged for UCF or USF

Reactions: drewbagel423
I will gladly eat crow if he gets a top flight P5 job. I will also enjoy Tennesee's march to 6-6 campaigns.
Source? I recall his name was floated (presumably by his agent) for a few openings in the past in which he wasn't a serious candidate. With Tennessee, I'll believe it when I see it as I don't think that is a good fit for either side.

Reactions: mildone
Source? I recall his name was floated (presumably by his agent) for a few openings in the past in which he wasn't a serious candidate. With Tennessee, I'll believe it when I see it as I don't think that is a good fit for either side.
This is what I found. Looks like contact with Gruden just as a formality to please boosters but with no real expectation that he wants the job. Then Mullen as plan B and then Schiano and a bunch of others like Norvell.

https://www.rockytoptalk.com/2017/1...utch-jones-jon-gruden-dan-mullen-greg-schiano

Reactions: rubigtimenow
I think a Rutgers fan who knows a few people in Tennessee and asked them to plant the idea of Schiano "to Tennessee" just to piss of the anti-Greg faction on this board .[banana]:cool2:[laughing]

Me too but I had him pegged for UCF or USF
I think after Rutgers, after the NFL and after 2 years as Ohio State's DC, he's destined for a job at a P5 -- and I wouldn't be completely surprised if it's UCLA.

I always thought Schiano would be a better fit for a fan base that likes hard nose defense, discipline and run oriented , clock control offense, which to me says Nebraska. Of course, Nebraska is drooling over Scott Frost, who I think might get the Florida job.

I always thought Schiano would be a better fit for a fan base that likes hard nose defense, discipline and run oriented , clock control offense, which to me says Nebraska. Of course, Nebraska is drooling over Scott Frost, who I think might get the Florida job.
According to footballscoop kelly to Florida is a real possibility

Nebraska wants a modern offense. NU's next coach will be an offensive coach. If the new AD were to hire Schiano the NU fan base would probably have the AD fired that day. Not that he isn't a decent coach, they just want nothing to do with a control freak like him. To us NU folks he is Pelini without the temper tantrums on the field, with the media, and towards the fans. Not going to happen.

I think after Rutgers, after the NFL and after 2 years as Ohio State's DC, he's destined for a job at a P5 -- and I wouldn't be completely surprised if it's UCLA.

Don't dismiss P5.... but, I think any Pac12 w/b unlikely...and UCLA particularly so......

Nebraska wants a modern offense. NU's next coach will be an offensive coach. If the new AD were to hire Schiano the NU fan base would probably have the AD fired that day. Not that he isn't a decent coach, they just want nothing to do with a control freak like him. To us NU folks he is Pelini without the temper tantrums on the field, with the media, and towards the fans. Not going to happen.

Well then target Mike Leach or Dana Holgersen.

Schiano would be a good a fit at a lower level p5 school... ie Kansas, bc, ru, Illinois..
I think his ego and sense of his place in the market would put any of those programs off his list. The impression he leaves is that he wants a perennial Top-20 team with money, facilities, potential fans and heritage.

A Schiano Man doesn't coach at Kansas when there's a job opening at UF.

I look for a mid major that lost it's HC ( UCF and USF if their HC moves up)
Or a P-5 that needs a defensive minded HC that has proven he can make a losing program a winner.

I think Schiano best fit is Florida, though the AD there wants a “Fun Offense”, which kind of rules him out. Next UCLA, then Tennessee. Don’t think his ego could handle a step down to UCF, but can’t rule it out, either.

Would never happen imho.
I wouldn't say never. If he hired a seriously good offensive coordinator and left him alone to run the O, it could happen. Schiano's a good enough D coord. He's a good details and organizational guy. He just needs to have really good people and let them do their jobs.

Only thing that's kind of unknown is how well he could recruit for them, against the other SEC schools. I'm a little skeptical.

In any event, if he did get the job, and he did when the SEC championship, I'd be very happy for him. Both things seem unlikely to me. But I wish him nothing but luck as long as he's not competing with us.

Reactions: 50 yd line RR
Unless approx half dozen candidates turn down the Tenn job, Schiano will NOT get this opportunity.

Tennessee needs someone with SEC ties to run the program - not Butch Jones Part Deux.

Unless approx half dozen candidates turn down the Tenn job, Schiano will NOT get this opportunity.

Tennessee needs someone with SEC ties to run the program - not Butch Jones Part Deux.
SEC ties? What does that mean? Tenn didn’t have any issues with recruiting.

Reactions: czxqa
Schiano will get a good P5 job and I predict he'll do very well. Anyone who's read his post Tampa Bay interviews knows that that experience has humbled him quite a bit and that it seems he's very prepared to delegate more than he did in the past, whicb should mean he'd have no issue hiring a top OC and letting that person run the offense. We know he can recruit and do all the organizational things well and, of course, we know he can coach the crap out of the defense and special teams. Still wish we had hired him back...

Reactions: ATIOH
ADVERTISEMENT