ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano on Tennessee short list

In context.. especially considering your OP.. "lightning in a bottle" is synonymous with "flash in a pan".. one-hit wonder.. i.e. getting LUCKY. Objectivity? no. Its haterish.. you know it, we know it. Own it. Afterall.. when he doesn't get these jobs or he fails at them, you can always say "I told you so".
ok. if you want to play that game, I'll play along. What about Schiano's career at Rutgers screams anything but one hit wonder or flash in the pan.
Ever win a conference?
Ever go to a major bowl?
Ever win coach of the year again?
Ever finish above third in recruiting?
Like it or not, everything about 06 leading up to the Louisville game was lighting in a bottle.
how many times out of 10 do we make that goal line stance against UNC?
Squeak out a win against a 4-3 USF team
Offsides for Lville
All the hoopla, all that hype and lost next 2 out of 3
It was a magical run...some might say lighting in a bottle.
And why wouldn't I play the I told you so angle if when he doesn't get a P5 job. I think I'd deserve taht victory lap after being harassed by the likes of you for simply having an opinion.

I tell you what.. Marone OWNED Schiano in their first game (thru Schiano's false hope that Flood knew what he was doing as co-OC).. and this thread indicates, I am a GS fan. But GS failed to look at his offense as a good DC would.. and Marone's D ripped that offense apart.. giving teams the blue-print to repeat that tactic over and over the following dreadful year. But then Schiano took over the O for the game vs Syracuse and beat Marone that next year.
wait what? Schiano took over the O? When did he ever become our OC?

Reactions: yesrutgers01
In context.. especially considering your OP.. "lightning in a bottle" is synonymous with "flash in a pan".. one-hit wonder.. i.e. getting LUCKY. Objectivity? no. Its haterish.. you know it, we know it. Own it. Afterall.. when he doesn't get these jobs or he fails at them, you can always say "I told you so".
It surely wasn't just luck. It took lots of hard work.

But he worked just as hard in other seasons too, before and after. And his teams failed to repeat that kind of success. If the success of 2006 was some kind of consistent thing, then perhaps one might downplay the role any good fortune might have played.

It's possible that, with more time and the Big Ten invite, he might have been able to repeat 2006 more often, or do even better. But we will never know because he chose to go in another direction.

Kind of hard to give a guy credit for what-if successes, particularly when the fact that those successes never materialized was due to his own choice to not pursue them.

I forgot about him and I'll agree with that but he was an NFL OC at one time IIRC before Syracuse. Again all it takes is one. I wouldn't have hired Marone either.

For what it’s worth here are some coaches who never won anything in college and got hired as HC in the NFL:

Tom Coughlin
Dennis Green
Steve Mariucci

Rutgers fans are weird bunch. On anational scale getting Rutgers to 6-8 wins every year was considered a miracle. We’re the only people who think we should’ve been winning our conference every year.
He never won even a share of the conference once. Something effing Kyle Flood managed to do.

Good Ol...the better question is, how do you NOT see that he was lucky ?

The top three in the conference VaTech,BC and Miami (who Schiano had zero wins against,and also zero against WVU) all left. This void enabled RU, Cinci and UCONN to become mid-level Big East teams. Two of those three, and WVU and Louisville reached BCS bowls. Which one did not ?

This period also coincided with significant bowl expansion so that almost every 6 win team made a bowl, and also an explosion of televised games (incl weekday games).

This was a perfect storm for Schiano's artificial legacy. The product never got better but the competition got a lot weaker and the exposure got greater.

Where he does deserve credit is converting the fake success to real stadium expansion...which was the second biggest factor in the Big10 invite. And even so,remember we were invited after UMD to keep the conference at an even#. W/O Maryland joining, the conference wouldn't have wanted us.

Reactions: RUScrew85
I do consider it flash in pan. How can you not if it's not recreated or repeated? I don't consider that hater either. How do you disprove flash in the pan? By producing the same result consistently over time.

I say that for all coaches even when talking about contract extensions. I don't trust short term results. I talk about consistency over time all the time in evaluating any coach. Consistency is a word I use constantly.
I've mentioned this before but I'l give another example unrelated to Schiano. I suppose I would have been a Charlie Strong hater. He had just won the Sugar Bowl against UF and Louisville extended him to at the time a premium 3M+ contract. I said I think it's too early, some here thought I was crazy. I wanted to see what he'd do without Bridgewater, something others have later mentioned. I wanted to see the consistency and the faces change and the results be the same, then I know it's the coach not a player or some group of players. Funny enough after Texas when everyone is writing him off I still thought he was a solid coach but got fouled up choosing the type offense and who to implement it there.

Another example, a national championship coach. Gene Chizik at Auburn. I didn't think much of him and thought Malzahn had a big hand it along with Newton. Both of them left, he tanked and was fired within a year and hasn't sniffed a P5 head job since. Went to tv and think he was UNC DC for a couple years.

This is my point. For all coaches, not just Schiano, I evaluate the same and these guys won bigger prizes even.

I suspect Schiano would probably love to coach at a place like Nebraska.

I'm not sure. In talking with my brother, who's a pastor out in Lincoln, he thinks the fans and power boosters out there are reliving the glory days in their head and don't understand how the college football world works nowadays. One of the things he mentioned was that these people don't understand that they are no longer kings of their conference. When they were in the Big 12, the ruled it with Oklahoma. But in the Big 10, they play second fiddle to Michigan and OSU, and are lucky to be lumped in with Wisconsin, PUS and Michigan State. And that is reflected in their recruiting prowess as compared to their conference mates. From talking with a few people, he thinks that Frost is unlikely to take the job due to issues like this.

I do consider it flash in pan. How can you not if it's not recreated or repeated? I don't consider that hater either. How do you disprove flash in the pan? By producing the same result consistently over time.

I say that for all coaches even when talking about contract extensions. I don't trust short term results. I talk about consistency over time all the time in evaluating any coach. Consistency is a word I use constantly.

So to be a successful coach all Schiano had to do was repeat that year's results over and over again. That's an impossible standard at a place like Rutgers...at that time. I'll take the many bowl games and wins as proof he was doing a good job. We did worse in 2007 and Michigan still wanted him... and in 2014 it would have been Schiano or Les Miles if not Harbaugh.

So talk all you want about the "flash in the pan" 2006 season.. but that standard is just not realistic.. or, as you might say, "objective".

He never won even a share of the conference once. Something effing Kyle Flood managed to do.

If Townsend catahces a wide open TD pass we win the Big East (with 2 other top 10 teams in it). Also, if you don’t think GS would’ve won with his players the year Flood backed into it, well then I guess we disagree.

But, yeah, you’re correct — Schiano never won it.

Reactions: ATIOH
So to be a successful coach all Schiano had to do was repeat that year's results over and over again. That's an impossible standard at a place like Rutgers...at that time. I'll take the many bowl games and wins as proof he was doing a good job. We did worse in 2007 and Michigan still wanted him... and in 2014 it would have been Schiano or Les Miles if not Harbaugh.

So talk all you want about the "flash in the pan" 2006 season.. but that standard is just not realistic.. or, as you might say, "objective".
That's the thing you keep saying "at a place like this." You get stuck in the history and past or the Shea era and look at things in through that prism. My prism changes depending on the situation.

The results I'd be okay with in the B10 aren't the same in the BE. In the BE in terms of recruiting grounds, facilities, money who were we worse off then. I'd say we were in the top tier of the conference with regards to those things unlike the B10. We were on par with any other BE mate give or take and probably half the conference was worse UConn, USF, Cincy, Syracuse for sure. So I don't use that "at a place like RU" that's where we differ. Now in the B10 my measure would be different we're near the bottom in regards to those things so consistent bowl games and such would be a good starting point. So if he's not doing it when we're on par or better than most our conference mates how can I logically expect it when we're worse off in the B10.

I always talk about the potential of a program and if they're meeting it or close as guide. But that's not a constant. It changes from school to school and situation to situation sometimes even at the same school like us from one conference to another.

People are acting like micro managing makes you a loser.
Though Schiano won't be confused with Saban at anytime, they share the same micro managing trait.
Alabama's Nick Saban and the Art of Micromanagement
>It perhaps should also be pointed out that Saban is far from perfect. Although his meticulous micromanagement (and some would say control freakish) style allows Saban to anticipate possible scenarios as good or better than anyone to ever coach a college football team, there’s still one thing that baffles him on the field.<
http://www.vault.com/blog/workplace-issues/alabamas-nick-saban-and-the-art-of-micromanagement

I'm not sure. In talking with my brother, who's a pastor out in Lincoln, he thinks the fans and power boosters out there are reliving the glory days in their head and don't understand how the college football world works nowadays. One of the things he mentioned was that these people don't understand that they are no longer kings of their conference. When they were in the Big 12, the ruled it with Oklahoma. But in the Big 10, they play second fiddle to Michigan and OSU, and are lucky to be lumped in with Wisconsin, PUS and Michigan State. And that is reflected in their recruiting prowess as compared to their conference mates. From talking with a few people, he thinks that Frost is unlikely to take the job due to issues like this.
My reasoning, perhaps flawed, and making some big assumptions having never actually been there, is that it's a kind of working man's, mom and apple-pie, heartland type environment. And I think that's right up Schiano's alley. The program is established already, so it's not a building effort. It's a pure recruiting, developing, coaching effort. Shouldn't be hard to get good assistants to go there (assuming they aren't scared away by any rumors of micromanagement from his past).

HatersGonnaHate2.jpg

Wiseass. I can't imagine what kind of losers you hang out with given that sarcastic attitude.

Oh, I've heard he hangs out with losers who specialize in bestiality and good single malt scotch. Not that I'd know anything about that.

For what it’s worth here are some coaches who never won anything in college and got hired as HC in the NFL:

Tom Coughlin
Dennis Green
Steve Mariucci
Coughlin did some good stuff at BC the other two at the time of their hires eh...Dennis Green was a Bill Walsh protege though so again who you know can help.

A couple of those names remind me of the Kevin Sumlin rumors that pop up from time to time which I don't fully get either.

EDIT: Forgot Mariucci was farther down the Walsh tree but off the Holmgren branch at GB so that kind of thing can help you too. Holmgren had quite a few offshoots IIRC, Gruden, Reid, Rhodes and probably some others so that kind of pedigree can aid you as well.

Last edited:
Schiano would be a good selection for a school like Baylor, where scandals run rampant. He runs a clean program and his micro-managing would lead them back to mediocrity. Then, they can look for another coach to get them back to where they were.

If Townsend catahces a wide open TD pass we win the Big East (with 2 other top 10 teams in it). Also, if you don’t think GS would’ve won with his players the year Flood backed into it, well then I guess we disagree.

But, yeah, you’re correct — Schiano never won it.
The missed catch is coulda- woulda-shoulda and if we play that game, an awful lot of sub .500 coaches are gonna start looking pretty good.

And it's not particularly objective to give credit to a coach for something he opted not to hang around for. We can give him credit for putting the pieces in place. There's no knowing if he would've won it outright, won a part of it, or crapped the bed in a season he wasn't actually here.

Nobody pushed Schiano out. His decision-making led to his leaving before winning a share of the Big East the next year. His decision-making led to his going to Tampa Bay and failing there. His decision making led, in part, to OSU losing some games this and last season. These were his decisions and it is completely valid and objective to judge his career considering the reality that he made them, versus a hypothetical where he made different choices.

There aren't many good candidates out there with so many openings. However, Tenn would be making a big mistake because they want offense. Offense makes the game exciting and Schiano doesn't know offense.

All the big names out there are offensive coaches and why the hell do we hire a defensive coach?

Flood was and never will be an offensive coach.

The missed catch is coulda- woulda-shoulda and if we play that game, an awful lot of sub .500 coaches are gonna start looking pretty good.

And it's not particularly objective to give credit to a coach for something he opted not to hang around for. We can give him credit for putting the pieces in place. There's no knowing if he would've won it outright, won a part of it, or crapped the bed in a season he wasn't actually here.

Nobody pushed Schiano out. His decision-making led to his leaving before winning a share of the Big East the next year. His decision-making led to his going to Tampa Bay and failing there. His decision making led, in part, to OSU losing some games this and last season. These were his decisions and it is completely valid and objective to judge his career considering the reality that he made them, versus a hypothetical where he made different choices.

All a coach can do is put his players in a position to succeed. From your perspective it seems that RU underachieved when he was here. However, others believe that he overachieved which explains why he was given a recommendation by a great NFL coach, hired as an NFL head coach and the DC at a top 5 college program. I like being in the same company with Belichick and Urban Meyer.

It's funny but Butch Jones had 2 9-4 season and had a bad season this year. Harbaugh Michigan coach went 10-3 the last 2 season but 3rd in the East Division and has 3 losses already. The fans already saying he isn't the one to get a championship. Schiano had 2 9-4 and 8-5 the last 3 seasons at RUTGERS and fans wanted him fired.

Fan expectations grow until they fire their coaches and hope there's better out there. I'm sure OHio State fans are wondering about Urban Meyer.

I'd bet a lot of the people who are angry at Schiano for leaving like he did, wanted him gone before he left.
I seem to remember posts ( not posters) saying he had long enough to bring RU to the top and someone else needs to be brought in to do that.

I bet Schiano also knew RU fans were getting ready to call for his head, so he headed out.
But think he tried to get Pernetti commitment to put more money in the FB program and made the decision to leave after being told no.

Good Ol...the better question is, how do you NOT see that he was lucky ?

The top three in the conference VaTech,BC and Miami (who Schiano had zero wins against,and also zero against WVU) all left. This void enabled RU, Cinci and UCONN to become mid-level Big East teams. Two of those three, and WVU and Louisville reached BCS bowls. Which one did not ?

This period also coincided with significant bowl expansion so that almost every 6 win team made a bowl, and also an explosion of televised games (incl weekday games).

This was a perfect storm for Schiano's artificial legacy. The product never got better but the competition got a lot weaker and the exposure got greater.

Where he does deserve credit is converting the fake success to real stadium expansion...which was the second biggest factor in the Big10 invite. And even so,remember we were invited after UMD to keep the conference at an even#. W/O Maryland joining, the conference wouldn't have wanted us.

Oh my goodness, you have no clue do you? To reach the mid/high level of the Big East, RU started to consistently beat Pitt and Cuse. In 2006, L'ville absolutely demolished Miami and was a much better team. RU always struggled with Cincy so them being added did nothing for our rise. If you don't understand that those good GS teams would have crushed our teams over the last several years, and crushed teams like Indiana, you have an axe to grind against Rutgers. We absolutely blew out Illinois in 2006, they didn't cross mid field all day. If you can't understand that the talent level of RU football was light years above the level it was when GS started, you have no business commenting on college football. I'm trying to be nice but you strike me as being a complete and utter fool. Have a nice Thanksgiving!

Last edited:
It's funny but Butch Jones had 2 9-4 season and had a bad season this year. Harbaugh Michigan coach went 10-3 the last 2 season but 3rd in the East Division and has 3 losses already. The fans already saying he isn't the one to get a championship. Schiano had 2 9-4 and 8-5 the last 3 seasons at RUTGERS and fans wanted him fired.

Fan expectations grow until they fire their coaches and hope there's better out there. I'm sure OHio State fans are wondering about Urban Meyer.
Who wanted Schiano fired? That is not my recollection at all outside of maybe a few outlier fans (you know, the kind that want to fire our current head coach in year 2). I do recall my concern, one that several others seemed to share, was Schiano's ability to get Rutgers to the next level which at the time meant a conference championship, better bowl games (to the extent possible in the AAC), finishing the season in the top 25 standings as well as in recruiting. As I said earlier in the thread, he may have been on the verge of something when he left for Tampa but we'll never know. He doesn't get credit (or blame) for the things that happened or didn't happen after he left.

What Schiano did at Rutgers was remarkable, and the rest of the college football world knows this.
In addition, he is respected as a Defensive mind by some of the best there are (Belichik, Meyer).

The truth is that no one has any idea whether he would have been able to take Rutgers to the proverbial "next level" if he had remained.

Who wanted Schiano fired? That is not my recollection at all outside of maybe a few outlier fans (you know, the kind that want to fire our current head coach in year 2). I do recall my concern, one that several others seemed to share, was Schiano's ability to get Rutgers to the next level which at the time meant a conference championship, better bowl games (to the extent possible in the AAC), finishing the season in the top 25 standings as well as in recruiting. As I said earlier in the thread, he may have been on the verge of something when he left for Tampa but we'll never know. He doesn't get credit (or blame) for the things that happened or didn't happen after he left.
I seem to remember an anti Schiano faction building and wanting him gone.
Could be my memory being clouded because the amount of complaints made by the few that wanted Schiano replaced .
My favorite complaint was : Greg promised a National Championship and didn't deliver.

But there were fans that wanted Schiano gone starting around 2009 and that movement gained traction adding people that said they were tired of seeing Greg only able to get minor bowl bids and expected , with the talent they thought RU had, to be in a BCS bowl .
The knock was Greg was a poor game day coach and
needed to be replaced.

Reactions: patk89
All a coach can do is put his players in a position to succeed. From your perspective it seems that RU underachieved when he was here. However, others believe that he overachieved which explains why he was given a recommendation by a great NFL coach, hired as an NFL head coach and the DC at a top 5 college program. I like being in the same company with Belichick and Urban Meyer.
I'm not saying he either under or overachieved. I'm saying that, viewed objectively, nothing in his actual resume screams winning head coach. It says great program builder.

I would most definitely hire him to build a program from nothing. I would look into other options first if hiring a coach to produce wins and/or a league championship at an established program in a very tough conference against elite competition.

Not sure how many of these are “hate”.

very few (I'd bet)......... I'm no hater............. I re-posted someone else's tweet that I found funny-- not sure how that makes you a hater....

I loved him when he was here. was devestated when he left. rooted for him in tampa and was glad to see he got a big DC job in a P5.

I will say, that with time-and-distance, I've become more-and-more disappointed over the years in the way he left and the downward spiral of the program that resulted and only recently has gotten back on track.....

Just because I'm no longer a GS cheerleader, doesn't mean I'm a 'hater'.....

This idea that you have to either 'love him unconditionally' or are a hater is silly.....

Last edited:
Schiano would be a good selection for a school like Baylor, where scandals run rampant. He runs a clean program and his micro-managing would lead them back to mediocrity. Then, they can look for another coach to get them back to where they were.
The counter argument is that the sleezy way of doing things is so ingrained in the culture of these scandal ridden programs (they just got caught this time) that GS the straight and narrow just would not work. Not talking about Baylor specifically but any program that operates in the shadows. Do you think the die hard sec boosters will take 6-6 with a high apr? Naaaahhhh.

Reactions: Knightmoves
I will say, that with time-and-distance, I've become more-and-more disappointed over the years in the way he left and the downward spiral of the program that resulted and only recently has gotten back on track.....

This is fair. I never held it against him for leaving. He could have gone a couple times before and he stayed. He had no idea that the B1G was coming and it was the NFL. When he left I thought we would be fine. Instead, as time has passed I realized what the other options look like here. There are better coaches out there but we'll never pay to get them. I blame the administration and not GS. I have actually gained a greater appreciation over the past 6-7 years for what GS did when he was here.

very few (I'd bet)......... I'm no hater............. I re-posted someone else's tweet that I found funny-- not sure how that makes you a hater....

I loved him when he was here. was devestated when he left. rooted for him in tampa and was glad to see he got a big DC job in a P5.

Just because I'm no longer a GS cheerleader, doesn't mean I'm a 'hater'.....

This idea that you have to either 'love him unconditionally' or are a hater is silly.....
Exactly. And one can not want him back (I do not) and not be a hater. Hate is a strong word that gets abused. Which I hate.

Will P5 schools like Tenn and Nebraska look at Greg’s BE record and think that he will win for them in todays SEC and B1G?

Rutgers Scarlet Knights (Big East Conference) (2001–2011)
2001 Rutgers 2–9 0–7 8th
2002 Rutgers 1–11 0–7 8th
2003 Rutgers 5–7 2–5 7th
2004 Rutgers 4–7 1–5 6th
2005 Rutgers 7–5 4–3 3rd L Insight
2006 Rutgers 11–2 5–2 T–2nd W Texas 12 12
2007 Rutgers 8–5 3–4 T–5th W International
2008 Rutgers 8–5 5–2 T–2nd W Papajohns.com
2009 Rutgers 9–4 3–4 T–4th W St. Petersburg
2010 Rutgers 4–8 1–6 8th
2011 Rutgers 9–4 4–3 T–4th W Pinstripe
Rutgers: 68–67 28–48

Reactions: mildone
Will P5 schools like Tenn and Nebraska look at Greg’s BE record and think that he will win for them in todays SEC and B1G?

2001 Rutgers 2–9 0–7 8th
2003 Rutgers 5–7 2–5 7th
2004 Rutgers 4–7 1–5 6th
2010 Rutgers 4–8 1–6 8th

Maybe. If you toss the first 5 years he was here, which most ADs will, he had 11, 8, 8, 9, 4 and 9 wins "at Rutgers." Since that time he's coached in the NFL and has been Urban's #2 guy. That resume crushes most candidates who are not already at P5 schools.

2001 Rutgers 2–9 0–7 8th
2003 Rutgers 5–7 2–5 7th
2004 Rutgers 4–7 1–5 6th
2010 Rutgers 4–8 1–6 8th
How dare you post his actual record. Hater.

Reactions: Knightmoves

2001 Rutgers 2–9 0–7 8th
2003 Rutgers 5–7 2–5 7th
2004 Rutgers 4–7 1–5 6th
2010 Rutgers 4–8 1–6 8th

BTW, did you the controversy at Kansas State this week? They tried to hire Jim Leavitt as the coach in waiting. He never finished higher than 3rd in the Big East and has been a college DC the past few years. That didn't stop KSU from going after him. (Just saying...)

Maybe. If you toss the first 5 years he was here, which most ADs will, he had 11, 8, 8, 9, 4 and 9 wins "at Rutgers." Since that time he's coached in the NFL and has been Urban's #2 guy. That resume crushes most candidates who are not already at P5 schools.
You're glossing over his record in the NFL and the fact that he has done worse than our current coach did in his equal time as a d-coord at OSU.

But... I think you're correct that an AD will hire him and be getting a decent coach. Just not Tennessee. And I'd be surprised if Nebraska did either, although much less surprised.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT