ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano said this is professional sports

Obviously it's all his fault, trading away all those 1st round draft picks.
It is actually more condemning if a "pro" college coach can't turn a team around in less than three years since he is not restricted to a draft, he can go out and recruit any player he would like. Again, not my words, Schiano called it the pros. I forget, how long did they give him in Tampa Bay by the way before they fired him?

It is actually more condemning if a "pro" college coach can't turn a team around in less than three years since he is not restricted to a draft, he can go out and recruit any player he would like. Again, not my words, Schiano called it the pros. I forget, how long did they give him in Tampa Bay by the way before they fired him?

Except there are 110+ teams that are not constrained by draft picks who can compete. And the player is under no obligation to play for a specific school. So playing for a dynasty university who can guarantee 100,000 in the stands and a bowl in their first team(along with the perks), not hopefully before they graduate is always an option.

Yeah, no.

Reactions: Kbee3
If it is pro sports then he needs to be held to the standard of a pro coach. Most pro coaches nowadays get three years max to produce a winning team.
That’s fair.

I mean it’s his own words.

He was on Sirius today ESPNU (Jacob Hester and not sure the other host). But he said let’s call it as it is this is professional sports . And that everyone needs to admit it and realize it going forward.
Imho, Schiano continues to show his maturity. I doubt that he loves what is happening, but he will acccept and compete accordingly.

That's certainly your perogative but I generally find that fans who care enough to make proclamations that they are tapping out tend to ultimately hang in there because they they are super vested.
To me vested and interested requires I remain a season ticket holder with dreams of us playing in bowl games as a reward.
When your best players no longer have interest in my dream. (Playing in bowls)
I selfishly need to remove myself.

All the fans who are saying that they are leaving because college football will NOW be a minor league for the NFL since the players are now a bunch of greedy {^#]*[*%s…

Annnndd… All if you are STILL here for the past 20-30 years (at least) that college football HAVE BEEN a minor league to the NFL.

All the fans who are saying that they are leaving because college football will NOW be a minor league for the NFL since the players are now a bunch of greedy {^#]*[*%s…

Annnndd… All if you are STILL here for the past 20-30 years (at least) that college football HAVE BEEN a minor league to the NFL.
Ask the 10s of thousands of ex College football players who never played in the NFL if they agree with you, or if they were ever paid.

Last edited:

Huh?? The fans are greedy??

Reaction Lol GIF by MOODMAN

Annnddd..to your second point. It's one thing surmising it occurred under the table the past 20-30 years. It's a completely different story, when it's blatantly abused right in plain sight. Sad thing, it's hardly even begun.

Ask the 10s of thousands of ex College football players who never played in the NFL if they agree with you, or if they were ever paid.
I’m for the players getting paid. It’s the fans who keeps saying they are no longer fans because the players are “greedy” and they should be satisfied with what they get but they are still here complaining about college football.

If you’re going to bash me, get it right.

Greg knows the deal.

He coached under Joe Pa, coached at Miami, and most recently coached under Urban

He’s been around shady things and knows the type of $ it takes to compete

Kudos to him for admitting the odvuous - now he’s gota lend a hand in getting some of that $ to compete against the big boys while doing his part on the field as well

I’m for the players getting paid. It’s the fans who keeps saying they are no longer fans because the players are “greedy” and they should be satisfied with what they get but they are still here complaining about college football.

If you’re going to bash me, get it right.
How were you bashed?
You’ve never read one word from me about NIL for roster players.
Opt out football isn’t for me.
However, if you think unfettered, unregulated $$$ for high school 17 year olds before they play their senior year is a good thing for recruiting….enjoy

Last edited:
He’s right. Faster they drop any remaining rules, like the school can’t pay recruits, the better.

Its professional sports without the draft.
Modern day comparison is that tOSU, Alabama, A&M, etc are the Yankees and Dodgers with unlimited resouces and money to throw around.
Right now RU is like the Tigers and Marlins. An occasional bright spot but probably perennial also rans. Congrats to the kids for getting the cash but the gap between the haves and the have nots will continue to widen.

It will be professional sports the moment we can just or trade these kids on scholarship. Then it will get very real to some of them very quickly. Right now it's a completely broken and unsustainable model that needs to be fixed yesterday.

The real issue is that with unrestricted portal a kid can pick-up and walk to another team without even sitting out.

Ray Rice flashed as a freshman R. He came in as a lightly recruited player most teams wanted as a DB (his All State position). If this happened today, Rice could get all kinds of offers and be gone in a flash. Not even pro players can do that

Modern day comparison is that tOSU, Alabama, A&M, etc are the Yankees and Dodgers with unlimited resouces and money to throw around.
Right now RU is like the Tigers and Marlins. An occasional bright spot but probably perennial also rans. Congrats to the kids for getting the cash but the gap between the haves and the have nots will continue to widen.

RU was always that ...at best.

Schiano doesn't seem to understand the criteria for a pro sport. You have to be able to drink and smoke while participating in it.

1. Bowling
2. Darts
3. Sailing
4. Golf

Those are pro sports. Everything else is amateur hour.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Your last sentence is correct because, unlike the 4 major US professional sports, college football has zero control on spending.

Looking at those, the two sports with a hard salary cap have the most parity, while MLB with no cap but a luxury tax has the least. College football would be more dominated by a small percentage of teams than baseball is.

Except there are 110+ teams that are not constrained by draft picks who can compete. And the player is under no obligation to play for a specific school. So playing for a dynasty university who can guarantee 100,000 in the stands and a bowl in their first team(along with the perks), not hopefully before they graduate is always an option.
Huh? 110+ teams have winning records??

I would say it’s kind of semi professional. There are major differences comparing to the NFL obviously. Unlike the NFL, there is no structure in place of how schools acquire talent (draft based on record, structured free agency) and what resources can be used in acquiring talent (salary cap). Also, the players have the academic side to be involved with, it’s not 24/7 football. Also the players are not physically, mentally developed to the same extent. A school like Rutgers is simply not going to have the resources and “selling” points to attract the top HS recruits and top potential transfers relative to the top programs in the sport.

Huh? 110+ teams have winning records??
The point is the direction we are heading is less of a level playing field. It was always a battle to win recruiting against a blue bloods. Now even if you win one by finding and developing an underrated player, that player can be gone in a heartbeat for a suitcase of cash with no sit-out penalty. Good luck building a football program in that scenario, when you need a LOT of talented guys.

Reactions: RUaMoose
On the point about interest… we have had 8 years of 4 teams in CFP. 32 spots. Bama (7), Clemson (6), Oklahoma (5), and Ohio state (4), have filled 22 of the 32 spots. 2/3 of the time it’s been 1 of those 4.
Expand the playoff to X number of teams and perhaps 2/3 of the teams will be 1 of X number of teams.
(I’m not mathematically saying this will be true but we all know there will be some group of teams that literally makes it every year, some that make it most or roughly every other year, annnnnnd, larger groups that make it once every couple years, and the largest group that makes it once every 10-15 years or even longer than that.)
So yeah, that ends up getting boring to a subset of people, typically those who fell in love with the sport when it had a totally different format.
“I loved you for so long but now you’re a completely different person “.
It’s understandable that many will lose interest and become less of a fan (I’m in this bucket) or no fan at all. Collateral damage unfortunately. Many more will join in for various reasons. For example, a co worker for years never watches college football except for the occasional championship but loves the nfl, he’s been telling me for YEARS that they playoff needs to expand, “more teams will make it more interesting” etc etc. I tried explaining various reasons for the beauty of the bowls, but it didn’t resonate…

Just like professional sports, fans will show up if we win and leave if we lose.

ADVERTISEMENT