ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano said this is professional sports

Greg knows the deal.

He coached under Joe Pa, coached at Miami, and most recently coached under Urban

He’s been around shady things and knows the type of $ it takes to compete

Kudos to him for admitting the odvuous - now he’s gota lend a hand in getting some of that $ to compete against the big boys while doing his part on the field as well
Kudos?

If it is pro sports then he needs to be held to the standard of a pro coach. Most pro coaches nowadays get three years max to produce a winning team.
When you say professional, you mean NFL. This is still not the NFL with a draft and a revenue share leveling the playing field. We actually need more actions to level the playing field.

I guess we will see. It’s the off-season. I still think you will be doing prediction threads , tailgate threads , Halloween threads . Going to games and watching games. All that is part of the fandom.
Especially when the professional basket league (NCAA Hoops) starts.

Reactions: Plum Street
I guess we will see. It’s the off-season. I still think you will be doing prediction threads , tailgate threads , Halloween threads . Going to games and watching games. All that is part of the fandom.
Which I think is what many, including the person you quoted (@bac2therac) have said already in other similar threads.

I’m signed up again for this year and looking forward to see how this all plays out. Maybe it’s something I can get on board with or maybe it’s not. As you said…we’ll see.

Which I think is what many, including the person you quoted have said already.

I’m signed up again for this year and looking forward to see how this all plays out. Maybe it’s something I can get on board with or maybe it’s not. We’ll see.
Yeah but what’s gonna change in the next 3 -6 months ? Except we are gonna play.
We all know how this is and that we are still here , says wee ain’t giving it up.

Yeah but what’s gonna change in the next 3 -6 months ? Except we are gonna play.
We all know how this is and that we are still here , says wee ain’t giving it up.
Not for this year, as they have our money already. LOL

That would just be dumb to “take a stand” and not go after you paid. I mean it’s not like you’re going to be able to sell your tickets.

Also, almost all of us are going to be “here” no matter what. But actually spending money on season tickets going forward is definitely a wait and see thing…record being #1 on the list. Winning will help.

Last edited:
When you say professional, you mean NFL. This is still not the NFL with a draft and a revenue share leveling the playing field. We actually need more actions to level the playing field.
That’s the way the NFL does it.

But if you’re getting paid to do your craft that’s pretty close to the definition of a “pro” in this case…if you are for the players getting paid.

Not for this year, as they have our money already. LOL

That would just be dumb to “take a stand” and not go after you paid. I mean it’s not like you’re going to be able to sell your tickets.

Also, almost all of us are going to be “here” no matter what. But actually spending money on season tickets going forward is definitely a wait and see thing…record being #1 on the list. Winning will help.
That’s not true . You could recapture some of the money via sales . If you didn’t want to go, it’s actually a sunk cost . But my bet is you and others really want to go, if you’re going
What are you hoping changes in the next 8 months before renewals ?

That’s not true . You could recapture some of the money via sales . If you didn’t want to go, it’s actually a sunk cost . But my bet is you and others really want to go, if you’re going
What are you hoping changes in the next 8 months before renewals ?
I guess you could resell them.

But many on here have already said it’s even tough to just give them away.

As I said it would be dumb not to go since you already paid. Big waste of money to make a point. But maybe it will be easier to sell this year, doubtful, guess we’ll have to see on that one too.

I clarified (for me anyway) what might help in my case, for NEXT year…a better record as the W is a great elixir for your ills and pains.

As I said it would be dumb not to go since you already paid. Big waste of money to make a point. But maybe it will be easier to sell this year, doubtful, guess we’ll have to see on that one too.

I clarified (for me anyway) what might help in my case, for NEXT year…a better record as the W is a great elixir for your ills and pains.

Of course winning cures all ills. What’s different here is people threatening to leave and maybe in some cases actually leaving like Zappa said for a reason other than not winning.

I do wonder if some of the threats to leave are the boy that cried wolf . We saw that with the people that threatened to leave if the football team ever got political. They’re still here.

It’s like arguing over what to call a processed meat that originated in Trenton.

It’s professional - it’s not professional. People have their own opinions. Players have received tuition, room, board and expense money for decades. Some say that was already professional.

All the fans who are saying that they are leaving because college football will NOW be a minor league for the NFL since the players are now a bunch of greedy {^#]*[*%s…

Annnndd… All if you are STILL here for the past 20-30 years (at least) that college football HAVE BEEN a minor league to the NFL.
Used to be able to sell hope. Cant sell hope anymore. Some of you need to realize this

Reactions: RUaMoose
Used to be able to sell hope. Cant sell hope anymore. Some of you need to realize this
Was a Bowl Game the reward and culmination of your financial support, season tickets, fanaticism and hope in the not to distant past?
Representing your conference , the pride of showing off your best players to the rest of the Nation!
Is this really something only “old people” care about?

Last edited:
Reactions: RUTGERS95
I feel better now than before. On relative basis to the higher status programs nothing has changed But compared to some programs of our status (like Pitt, WVU, BC, Cuse, TT, WSU, etc...) we're in a better position. More money, more exposure and that's all good stuff and opportunity to improve and move up on the landscape. Not a guarantee but an opportunity. Playoffs are expanding, hopefully to 12-16 which would be another good opportunity for a school like us. We have to try and take advantage of these opportunities.

Reactions: Plum Street
I 'm not convinced that Schiano actually said that college football was professional--just listen to his interview yesterday with BTN--he said college football is more "like" pro with the portals ,etc in terms of filling needs each year but he also emphasized academics--Plum you may be reading your interpretation into this. I'd love to hear a replay of that interview with Hester-- you can see the BTN interview on youtube

In this interview he said rutgers has kept its word and delivered everything he’s asked .
With NIL schiano said rutgers isn’t where it needs to be yet , but they will get there.
He also told a story when he was at Tampa he gave the team a talk about “being a better father , better husband.” And one of his trusted players told him this isn’t college and nfl guys don’t need to hear that rah rah crap. So he stopped giving those speeches.
It was a good listen.

Reactions: BLewis1968
That’s the way the NFL does it.

But if you’re getting paid to do your craft that’s pretty close to the definition of a “pro” in this case…if you are for the players getting paid.
I'm specifically talking about whether it makes sense to give Schiano 3 years because he's a pro. 3 years is enough time in the NFL with their level playing field. Not enough time in College, whether or not it's pro.

I’m not sure I totally agree. The things you mention (outside of game predictions) are about tradition, opportunities to hang with family and friends, etc. The things that make/made college football great even when the product on the field wasn’t any good. It may ultimately not matter if they are still buying tickets, but I completely understand how the actual game result will matter considerably less than the tailgate, etc.

The real issue is that with unrestricted portal a kid can pick-up and walk to another team without even sitting out.

Ray Rice flashed as a freshman R. He came in as a lightly recruited player most teams wanted as a DB (his All State position). If this happened today, Rice could get all kinds of offers and be gone in a flash. Not even pro players can do that
I don't know if this is true but read a tweet from a reporter a few days ago that you can already do that in 19 sports.

I'm specifically talking about whether it makes sense to give Schiano 3 years because he's a pro. 3 years is enough time in the NFL with their level playing field. Not enough time in College, whether or not it's pro.
On top of which most schools don't have the budgets to be firing coaches on quick triggers anyway. No matter how much money is coming in, it's not the NFL.

I don't know if this is true but read a tweet from a reporter a few days ago that you can already do that in 19 sports.

That’s going to change. Once these kids unionize and/or scholarships become binding contracts that all ends. Why would schools ever agree to allow it? Players will get paid but they’re going to lose other rights in order to get it.

Reactions: rutgersguy1
I’m not sure I totally agree. The things you mention (outside of game predictions) are about tradition, opportunities to hang with family and friends, etc. The things that make/made college football great even when the product on the field wasn’t any good. It may ultimately not matter if they are still buying tickets, but I completely understand how the actual game result will matter considerably less than the tailgate, etc.
These fans are talking about not caring and rooting for the program . If they’re still showing up they care and are fans.

In this new(er) world of the portal and no transfer restrictions, depending on the school…it might speed up the clock.

Whether the coach and staff like it or not.

These fans are talking about not caring and rooting for the program . If they’re still showing up they care and are fans.
Very true. But with the Bowls if your top players are opting out (Kenny Pickett-Pitt) then how can the school generate loyalty among the fan base? Season ticket sales may be under even more pressure in the future almost everywhere in CFB.

It is actually more condemning if a "pro" college coach can't turn a team around in less than three years since he is not restricted to a draft, he can go out and recruit any player he would like. Again, not my words, Schiano called it the pros. I forget, how long did they give him in Tampa Bay by the way before they fired him?
"Damning" not "condemning". Grammar can be your friend.

Reactions: BLewis1968
Me.
No interest
Same old clueless drivel from you.

Be angry with me for speaking truth, but there has never been more interest in CFB. A real playoff system to rival March Madness is on the horizon. Lots of games will be sold out and buzzing. Your boycott of CFB will be about as effective as the NFL boycott. Life changes. We all have to learn to roll with it.

Be angry with me for speaking truth, but there has never been more interest in CFB. A real playoff system to rival March Madness is on the horizon. Lots of games will be sold out and buzzing. Your boycott of CFB will be about as effective as the NFL boycott. Life changes. We all have to learn to roll with it.
I don’t care about any of it, I care about Rutgers, bowl games and the trend of our best players not playing in the bowl.
You don’t win without NFL level talent all over the field and the current system won’t allow us to compete, accumulate and keep NFL level talent.
But as you say, adapt….to me that means adapt to continued ass kickings with no hope of the odd good year.

Last edited:
This is a professional system where corporations, and get this-THE FANS!!!, are expected to pay the salary of the amateur athlete. It's a much more warped/twisted version of a professional league.
In this interview he said rutgers has kept its word and delivered everything he’s asked .
With NIL schiano said rutgers isn’t where it needs to be yet , but they will get there.
He also told a story when he was at Tampa he gave the team a talk about “being a better father , better husband.” And one of his trusted players told him this isn’t college and nfl guys don’t need to hear that rah rah crap. So he stopped giving those speeches.
It was a good listen.
Stupid/entitled reaction from the trusted Tampa player. If they couldnt see Schiano cared about them and wanted them to be better individuals, they were a bunch of top notch idiots.

Anything they try to level the field will fail. Too much $$$ involved There are only 32 NFL teams. Owners had to agree on a set of rules to keep overall fan interest. Will never happen trying to level CFB

Was a Bowl Game the reward and culmination of your financial support, season tickets, fanaticism and hope in the not to distant past?
Representing your conference , the pride of showing off your best players to the rest of the Nation!
Is this really something only “old people” care about?
Whichreligionisright.
Just curious where this fits into your all around Rutgers fanaticism?
Make it very personal and why you get excited and nervous for games.

He was on Sirius today ESPNU (Jacob Hester and not sure the other host). But he said let’s call it as it is this is professional sports . And that everyone needs to admit it and realize it going forward.
And water is wet, bears do $hit in the woods, and no, you're mom wasn't a saint in hs. Lol

If it is pro sports then he needs to be held to the standard of a pro coach. Most pro coaches nowadays get three years max to produce a winning team.
Sometimes less. But the NFL's version of professionalism is geared toward parity, and there are mechanisms in place to try to ensure a playing field that is at least theoretically level. There's none of that in college football. The richest and best programs are basically throwing money at the best players. And television networks are basically throwing money at the biggest conferences with the richest, best programs and the best players.

Reactions: Knightmoves
ADVERTISEMENT