ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano said this is professional sports

Your last sentence is correct because, unlike the 4 major US professional sports, college football has zero control on spending.

Looking at those, the two sports with a hard salary cap have the most parity, while MLB with no cap but a luxury tax has the least. College football would be more dominated by a small percentage of teams than baseball is.
Maybe a better comparison might be MLB pre draft days. Teams like the Yankees, Dodgers, Cardinals and Giants would just go out and out bid everyone else for the amateur players (now NILs). As a result those teams were powerhouses every year while the others had to do the best they could or maybe sign a hometown boy who turned into a star. Then the big teams would stash away their talent in in their farm systems (depth chart). At least kids now can go into the portal while pre-Curt Flood those baseball players were stuck with their teams.

I guess we will see. It’s the off-season. I still think you will be doing prediction threads , tailgate threads , Halloween threads . Going to games and watching games. All that is part of the fandom.

Its going to be a slow process but im already less interested i could tell

Was a Bowl Game the reward and culmination of your financial support, season tickets, fanaticism and hope in the not to distant past?
Representing your conference , the pride of showing off your best players to the rest of the Nation!
Is this really something only “old people” care about?

Whichreligionisright.
Just curious where this fits into your all around Rutgers fanaticism?
Make it very personal and why you get excited and nervous for games.

Not sure I totally understand the question ... I was a RU fan growing up in Bloomfield and attended RU for grad school (84-86). Any sport RU plays in - I am a fan. Full Stop.

Is the question specifically about bowl games? RU Bowls are great - usually means RU has had a good/great season (2021 was a weird outlier), though I'm generally not a big fan of the bowl concept - would much prefer a playoff system for the best teams and then bowls for rest of the teams with good seasons.

I don't think that NIL changes anything about how players represent their schools. There is always going to be school pride.

NIL and the transfer portal are flawed - they should have some rules and regulations. I don't like the Wild West element that exists now. I've always thought that there is way too much money in college sports and think salaries for coaches are beyond ridiculous. One good thing - the players are getting a piece of the pie. The Big Ten will be generating as much as $1.5 BILLION a year in TV/streaming fees. In my worldview, the players deserve to get paid.

As Rutgers football fans, we've been through the shit more times than I care to recount. We are a full-fledged member of the best conference in college sports. The professionalization of college sports doesn't change my level of rooting interest one bit.

Was a Bowl Game the reward and culmination of your financial support, season tickets, fanaticism and hope in the not to distant past?
Representing your conference , the pride of showing off your best players to the rest of the Nation!
Is this really something only “old people” care about?

Not sure I totally understand the question ... I was a RU fan growing up in Bloomfield and attended RU for grad school (84-86). Any sport RU plays in - I am a fan. Full Stop.

Is the question specifically about bowl games? RU Bowls are great - usually means RU has had a good/great season (2021 was a weird outlier), though I'm generally not a big fan of the bowl concept - would much prefer a playoff system for the best teams and then bowls for rest of the teams with good seasons.

I don't think that NIL changes anything about how players represent their schools. There is always going to be school pride.

NIL and the transfer portal are flawed - they should have some rules and regulations. I don't like the Wild West element that exists now. I've always thought that there is way too much money in college sports and think salaries for coaches are beyond ridiculous. One good thing - the players are getting a piece of the pie. The Big Ten will be generating as much as $1.5 BILLION a year in TV/streaming fees. In my worldview, the players deserve to get paid.

As Rutgers football fans, we've been through the shit more times than I care to recount. We are a full-fledged member of the best conference in college sports. The professionalization of college sports doesn't change my level of rooting interest one bit.
No
You definitely didn’t understand the question, but thank you for your thoughtful answer.
I grew up right next door to you in Montclair

It’s not very similar IMO. A draft, revenue sharing, and salary caps are the key ingredients that create parity in the NFL.
Being paid to play and coach football makes it professional type occupation...compensation to ply your craft.

That's where I was going with an NFL-like comparison (or just professional football - if that makes it better, leave the "NFL" out of it) ...a speeded-up expectation of results (win NOW or your gone) and getting paid.

I wasn't commenting on parity in any of my posts, just what constitutes being a professional in your industry.

Last edited:
Being paid to play and coach football makes it professional type occupation...compensation to ply your craft.

That's where I was going with an NFL-like comparison (or just professional football - if that makes it better, leave the "NFL" out of it) ...a speeded-up expectation of results (win NOW or your gone) and getting paid.

I wasn't commenting on parity in any of my posts, just what constitutes being a professional in your industry.
I was reacting to the comment earlier that since it's now "professional" then Schiano should only have a 3 year leash like in the NFL. I think it's reasonable in some regards to say that in the current reality it might be quicker to flip a roster (although building a program with a funding base to compete in NIL pulls in the other direction). But it's still just not very like the NFL yet.

I was reacting to the comment earlier that since it's now "professional" then Schiano should only have a 3 year leash like in the NFL. I think it's reasonable in some regards to say that in the current reality it might be quicker to flip a roster (although building a program with a funding base to compete in NIL pulls in the other direction). But it's still just not very like the NFL yet.
No, not at all. Agree with you there.

Just like Asbury Park Fire is not like the FDNY but by definition those members of both are considered professionals. That’s were we are if the players get paid to play, regardless of what level…still pro’s IMO.

No, not at all. Agree with you there.

Just like Asbury Park Fire is not like the FDNY but by definition those members of both are considered professionals. That’s were we are if the players get paid to play, regardless of what level…still pro’s IMO.
Yes, we are definitely seeing the formal transition to the professionalization of college sports. It was already de facto that way with a lot of cheating and hypocrisy. Not sure where it goes, but I hope this wild west period doesn't last too long.

Reactions: Kbee3
ADVERTISEMENT