ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano to BC?

Would be fascinated to know why RU wouldn't have welcomed Schiano back with open arms.
My guess is there were two strong factors: 1) The way he left Rutgers in the lurch when he bolted for Tampa Bay, and 2) They didn't want to pay him. He wasn't going to take less than he was making when he left, was he? And wasn't that something like $2.5 million per? Just not worth it for someone who, if we're being honest, kind of plateaued after 2006 or so.

What he did in the first five or six years was positively Herculean, and maybe that's his forte, building up programs from nothing. But that wasn't where Rutgers was this last time around (as bad as Flood was).

Also, sometimes, you just can't go home again.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
So sick of hearing about Schiano.

Can you expand on this? Would be fascinated to know why RU wouldn't have welcomed Schiano back with open arms.

Was associated with a prior regime (aka no connections here anymore)
0 conference championships
0 major bowls
Outside of 2006 not a single season of double digit wins in a weak conference
Control freak

Sick of him also. Plus, a friend of mine dealt with him on many occasions as AD of a private school. Said he is a d-bag and had many stories about him. He said he would never steer one of his students towards him.

Reactions: MYHATINTHERING
I think it would be a risky job for coach Schiano. I think the bar is set pretty high at BC for athletes, as a matter of fact they are falling into the same trap ND was faced with with Charlie Weiss. Unless the President/Monsignor Leahy (sp) relaxes the admittance standards for athletes this is a waste of time for coach Schiano. Now, if he is able to persuade the President to lower that bar then he will kill it throughout the Northeast.

Will we ever know if GS was formally offered back at a fair comp package? I was one that wanted him back, however, I liked the Ash hire. But Ash needs to prove it on the field, last year was painful. #understatement
Until somebody comes in here and even gets within sniffing distance of where Schiano had us I won't let go of the feeling that he should have a place here if the timing is right and he wants it. We are not keeping up with the PSUs or the Marylands of our world. It's not impossible that we're looking up at Syracuse and U Conn again. I have faith in Hobbs that he won't let that happen.

Reactions: jax26
Quick - someone get on the Ohio State board and tell them their DC is a national laughingstock!

There are a lot of reasons people don't like him, probably many more reasons why he shouldn't have been brought back here as HC. But laughingstock as a coach??

Reactions: WhiteBus
Quick - someone get on the Ohio State board and tell them their DC is a national laughingstock!

There are a lot of reasons people don't like him, probably many more reasons why he shouldn't have been brought back here as HC. But laughingstock as a coach??
Co-defensive coordinator he is still being tutored by the real DC.

Buffalo, Nova, New Hampshire, and many more are still laughing. OK recruiter, Good DC bad bad bad head coach.

Reactions: RUonBrain
People are mistaking will he do well at BC and will he hurt Rutgers by being hired there. I don't think he would do well there at all. However if he is hired we will basically be completely shut out of the north Jersey parochials and lose 5-10 of the NJ top 20 every year to him. I hope you like basketball because football will be a non starter here.

NickKnight 1 said:
Blah, blah, blah, son of the devil, blah, blah, blah, responsible for global warming, blah, blah, blah, spawned Saddam Hussein, blah, blah, blah.

3ufe85_zpsd120d176.jpg

You guys need to get rid of that mentality and not be afraid of competition. Schiano to BC hurts Ohio State. You know the same OSU you face every year. Its about your division now. You are arguably in the toughest division in college football next to my very own SEC West.

First- many know I don't like him as a person or HC. But he did something amazing here, can't argue that.
That said, he is not a laughing stock nor is looked at as the next great hire.
Going to BC hurts us very little. BC will always get the 2-3 kids that only want ND or BC. But they are not a school that is a great fit for the other kids.

Reactions: RUonBrain
Amazing that the only guy who ever really did anything for the school on the field is disliked by some. Sure, he wasn't a great game day coach but everyone other than him has been al total joke.

Reactions: RUSK97 and BlockR
Where did this Alabama guy come from? Just surprising a guy from bama would be on this board, figured maybe tennessee board.

Last edited:
Reactions: dontestrond
While I don't dispute that he was I suspect that almost every successful head coach was/is disliked by their school(s)

And you would be wrong.

Yes, winning coaches tend to be prima donnas. It generally comes with the territory. But you would really have to have spent time with the guy to understand what a total and complete megalomaniac he is.

Plus, if you're going to put up with Steve Spurrier, Bobby Bowden, Nick Saban, et al, then you would typically expect results commensurate with the level of obnoxiousness. Leave us not forget that for all of his personal obnoxiousness, Schiano didn't actually win anything.

And you would be wrong.

Yes, winning coaches tend to be prima donnas. It generally comes with the territory. But you would really have to have spent time with the guy to understand what a total and complete megalomaniac he is.

Plus, if you're going to put up with Steve Spurrier, Bobby Bowden, Nick Saban, et al, then you would typically expect results commensurate with the level of obnoxiousness. Leave us not forget that for all of his personal obnoxiousness, Schiano didn't actually win anything.
He won us an invitation to the Big Ten and a second expansion.

And you would be wrong.

How am I wrong? I guess you're disputing my characterization of him as "successful"? It's true he isn't a top coach but he was at least 50% responsible for taking us from total joke to respectable. I'd call that "successful" but understand others would not.

BTW, I'm not disputing he was probably a total douche. I simply don't care. We had nice guys who couldn't do anything right...

no he didn't, that is such a bold face bs lie it's not even funny

GS did nothing for us with respects to the Big 10. Hell, Bob M was more a factor in us becoming a football respectable enterprise than GS

He did not. That's absurd - and it's been contradicted by actual people in the athletic department. We got the Big 10 invite because we're in the NYC tv market and "we fit the suit".

And he didn't get the second stadium expansion, either. That work was 100% Bob Mulcahy.

It's equally false to say he had nothing to do with it.
We did not get the Big10 invite because of GS. In fact, the support, infrastructure, etc etc was going in with or without GS. He had say cause he was coahc. It was Bob M that spearheaded and oversaw it

Greg benefited by being in the right place at the right time. I don't say he didn't help but he's not the reason

Again, just for the complete idiots...
Everyone appreciates what Schiano did for the football program. There are very few who could have done what he did. We ALL agree with that.

But that doesn't mean we have to love and suck his ass every time his name is mentioned. Is is quite ok for someone to say he could be a complete asshole, that doesn't take away what he did for the school. It is ok to have the opinion that he was not a good HC, that does not take away what he did for the school. It is ok to never want him back for whatever reason, it does not take away from what he did for the school.
You get the point now?

Laughing stock? WTF are you talking about? Built a program at a school that never won. Won mulitple bowl games. Won National Coach of the year. HC in the pros. Defensive Coordinator at one of the best college programs in the country. Whats laughable is your stupid statement.
You’re right if you mean never won playing major college schedule (D-1A ) ,but there was a time RU FB made it’s fans proud by winning them all ( playing a D-1AA schedule)

The 1961 Rutgers Scarlet Knights football team: In their second season under head coach John F. Bateman, the Scarlet Knights compiled a perfect 9–0 record, won the Middle Three Conference championship, outscored their opponents 246 to 102, and were ranked No. 15 in the final AP Poll

The 1976 Rutgers Scarlet Knights football team: In their fourth season under head coach Frank R. Burns, the Scarlet Knights compiled a perfect 11–0 record while competing as an independent, outscored their opponents 287 to 81, and were ranked No. 17 in the final AP Poll.

Again, just for the complete idiots...
Everyone appreciates what Schiano did for the football program. There are very few who could have done what he did. We ALL agree with that.

But that doesn't mean we have to love and suck his ass every time his name is mentioned. Is is quite ok for someone to say he could be a complete asshole, that doesn't take away what he did for the school. It is ok to have the opinion that he was not a good HC, that does not take away what he did for the school. It is ok to never want him back for whatever reason, it does not take away from what he did for the school.
You get the point now?
lol @ suck his ass....ahahahahahah

Reactions: yesrutgers01
I don't know if he turned it down. What I heard was that the administration was lukewarm at best in bringing him back.
Everything pointed ( *I heard ) during Rutgers searching for Flood's replacement to both parties not being very interested in Schiano returning and neither side tried very hard to get it done, if either tried at all.

* message board chatter

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Looks like BC is about to hire OSU deputy AD as new Athletic Director. All indicators are he's a strong hire. Major issues at BC with football and basketball, particularly with attendance. Addazzio hasn't done much and I would expect the Schiano rumors to start fairly quickly. Could be a great fit for BC, considering GS strength as a recruiter.
Link! Link!

Reactions: Knight Shift
Never hated him or hate him now but 11 years was a long enough trial period. Shea was the Big East coach of the year, when
Miami was very often nbr 1, WV top 10 to 20, Virgina tech as high as nbr 3. BC top 10 to 20. 4. Pitt top 20 at times 5. Syr top 20.
For OC he had Texas, Notre Dame, California, Navy was up there in those days. Anderson, Graber, Burns, Shea all had Fredy G.
Greggie came in at the right time and had Bob M. repairing all the damage that had been for decades. It was Bob that got Jersey
high school coaches to send their high school players to tryout. it was Bob who got The new Jersey papers to back off for a while.
It was Bob that money coming in for stadium expansion, new score boards, and many many other things. Greg came in and did
somethings very well and others not very well with other things. I don't regret having Gregg here but my anger is with the posters
that think he should come back which in my opinion silly but not completely stupid.

Schiano is the only head football coach at Rutgers to not get shown the door but in fact get hired by an NFL team as their head coach.
He was the best we've ever had. The fact that some RU fans want to downplay his contribution to this program is laughable.

Schiano is the only head football coach at Rutgers to not get shown the door but in fact get hired by an NFL team as their head coach.
He was the best we've ever had. The fact that some RU fans want to downplay his contribution to this program is laughable.
what made him successful in your eyes?

what made him successful in your eyes?

Well, I think the #1 thing is that he came from Miami, which was a bigger deal back then, and was able to recruit some quality kids from Florida.
He was also able to sell the whole "stay home and make your state university good" concept, partially because he WAS from New Jersey. I know people who heard GS speak and swore they were ready to run through a wall for this guy.
IMO recruiting is 90% of being a head football coach at the D1A level. And recruiting to Rutgers after what Terry Shea did to this program had to be one of the most difficult sell jobs ever. Yes, Schiano never did as well as I wanted him to do at recruiting or winning football games. But the guy made a bowl appearance a regular yearly event at RU.
Pardon me, but until someone comes along and takes Rutgers to "another level" I'm gonna believe that it was as good as it's gonna get for RU when GS was here.

You’re right if you mean never won playing major college schedule (D-1A ) ,but there was a time RU FB made it’s fans proud by winning them all ( playing a D-1AA schedule)

The 1961 Rutgers Scarlet Knights football team: In their second season under head coach John F. Bateman, the Scarlet Knights compiled a perfect 9–0 record, won the Middle Three Conference championship, outscored their opponents 246 to 102, and were ranked No. 15 in the final AP Poll

The 1976 Rutgers Scarlet Knights football team: In their fourth season under head coach Frank R. Burns, the Scarlet Knights compiled a perfect 11–0 record while competing as an independent, outscored their opponents 287 to 81, and were ranked No. 17 in the final AP Poll.
And the schedule was??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT