ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano versus Leipold

BROTHERSKINNY

Heisman Winner
Oct 21, 2010
So back after Ash got fired we were all throwing out our picks for who should be Head coach. Schiano was the board favorite from the get go and others had their favorites, most of which only got traction with one or a few people. My pick was Lance Leipold, Who now is head coach of the Kansas Jayhawks. I saw what he achieved at Buffalo and researched his background while he was at Wisconsin-Whitewater. The guy has been a winner at every stop.
I think it will be interesting to see the progression of Rutgers v. Kansas under Schiano and Leipold respectively. I will be very interested to see how their programs compare over the coming years.

They are both about the same age and have been involved in College football for about the same amount of time. They both are cosidered "builders" of programs. I think both coaches are great coaches with differeing skill sets so this will be an interesting way to look at how both of them "build" their programs over the coming years.

Anybody else interested in seeing how this pans out over the next few years? Anybody got color on this horserace?

Last edited:
So back after Ash got fired we were all throwing out our picks for who should be Head coach. Schiano was the board favorite from the get go and others had their favorites, most of which only got traction with one or a few people. My pick was Lance Leipold, Who now is head coach of the Kansas Jayhawks. I saw what he achieved at Buffalo and researched his background while he was at Wisconsin-Whitewater. The guy has been a winner at every stop.
I think it will be interesting to see the progression of Rutgers v. Kansas under Schiano and Leipold respectively. I will be very interested to see how their programs compare over the coming years.

They are both about the same age and have been involved in College football for about the same amount of time. They both are cosidered "builders" of programs. I think both coaches are great coaches with differeing skill sets so this will be an interesting way to look at how both of them "build" their programs over the coming years.

Anybody else interested in seeing how this pans out over the next few years? Anybody got color on this horserace?
No . It’s completely two different jobs and environments .

No. Leipold was a horrible idea for us at the time, period.

And like you said, only one or two people wanted him. So we'll probably only hear about this comparison if Leipold does well ...just like last year.

Reactions: rume
No . It’s completely two different jobs and environments .
No offense Plum but its coaching college football. There are more similarities than differences. Lance is at Kansas 1 year less than Schiano has been at stint 2 at Rutgers. It is a completely valid comparison.

Reactions: zebnatto
No. Leipold was a horrible idea for us at the time, period.

And like you said, only one or two people wanted him. So we'll probably only hear about this comparison if Leipold does well ...just like last year.
That is the whole point of this post. Both are on relatively same trajectories and time frames in their respective programs. This is NOT a schiano bashing thread, I love coach Schiano! Its just interesting to me how two different coaches at two different Losing programs will perform over the next few years. Both have proven they can turn around losing programs.

Reactions: Bamm Bamm Rubble

As coaches it will likely be a neck and neck race. But Schiano got more $$$ out of the Rutgers administration than Leipold (and virtually any other coach) would have gotten. Unique to Rutgers but it makes a difference.

As coaches it will likely be a neck and neck race. But Schiano got more $$$ out of the Rutgers administration than Leipold (and virtually any other coach) would have gotten. Unique to Rutgers but it makes a difference.
MDK great point! I think Schiano knows NJ's political landscape better than ANY coach in the U.S. and is the best coach for Rutgers. Schiano may be the only one who can work both Trenton and Old Queens better than anyone.

To be fair, you used to do this with Bobby Petrino.

Looks like Plum is not always right 🤣🤣🤣
This isn’t about being right. The OP asked if there was interest in comparing Leipold and schiano. I simply stated No .

As for Petrino, he would have been a better hire than ash or flood . Guy was a good HC

Reactions: Bamm Bamm Rubble
This isn’t about being right. The OP asked if there was interest in comparing Leipold and schiano. I simply stated No .

As for Petrino, he would have been a better hire than ash or flood . Guy was a good HC

Except when he wasn't!

A good HC with a built in meltdown in 3-4 years.

Except when he wasn't!
He wasn’t because he wasn’t hired . He was good at Louisville, Arkansas , and western Kentucky . He had some success at Louisville the second time around too.
If you don’t think he’s better than ash or flood you’re on something. Something strong.

And let’s be honest , if Petrino is coaching Arkansas in 2012 we aren’t winning that game.

Not interested in Liepold at Kansas and why because it relates to nothing here. All is conjecture and he well may be great but at this juncture Schiano is the Rutgers coach .We have heard the arguments several years ago and why some believed he would be the guy. Maybe someday he will be.

Schiano certainly has many advantages: better conference, better local recruiting grounds, more money. He should do better.
No Texas, no OU I'd take that advantage over anything Schiano has. Imagine not playing OSU and Michigan every year. It'd be sort of be like that.

Reactions: ChasRC69

Leipold is a good coach and would have been a fine second choice after GS. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for him after he beat Texas on the road last year. Kansas was +2000 on the M/L. Thank you Lance. It also gives him a signature win which GS 2.0 does not yet have.

Reactions: TM94goRU
Leipold is a good coach and would have been a fine second choice after GS. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for him after he beat Texas on the road last year. Kansas was +2000 on the M/L. Thank you Lance. It also gives him a signature win which GS 2.0 does not yet have.

Leipold would not do well at RU or in NJ. Why these threads ever start is beyond me. We’ll love or die with Greg. Move on.

Reactions: ru-baby
That is the whole point of this post. Both are on relatively same trajectories and time frames in their respective programs. This is NOT a schiano bashing thread, I love coach Schiano! Its just interesting to me how two different coaches at two different Losing programs will perform over the next few years. Both have proven they can turn around losing programs.
It’s interesting to follow. Lance may have an easier schedule in the near future but Greg is better off in the Big 10 regardless of schedule. The question is - what is Kansas’ true commitment to football?

It’s interesting to follow. Lance may have an easier schedule in the near future but Greg is better off in the Big 10 regardless of schedule. The question is - what is Kansas’ true commitment to football?
If Kansas gives Leipold the support needed to make the JayHawks competitive in the Big 12, I feel Lance will prove to be a good hire.
Also if Kansas is worried about the BIG 12's future as a P-5 conference , making their football program a winner might just put them in the B1G's eyes when the B1G is thinking additions in the future

Yep he was better HC than Ash and Flood.
Probably rode a bike better too
bobby-petrino.jpg

We all hope Greg stays for a long time. However there was another thread saying Greg will be the first call Nebraska makes if they fire Frost. While I don't think Greg would take the job stranger things have happened.
Nebby is tied at the half with North Dakota 7 all. Not sure if Frost survives the weekend if they lose.

We all hope Greg stays for a long time. However there was another thread saying Greg will be the first call Nebraska makes if they fire Frost. While I don't think Greg would take the job stranger things have happened.
Nebby is tied at the half with North Dakota 7 all. Not sure if Frost survives the weekend if they lose.
OSU, Michigan ( 2nd offer) Bama, maybe Florida/FSU/Miami, USC , Texas, Oklahoma
or even Delaware before the thought of leading the Cornhuskers comes into his head
But I feel RU will be his last HC stop on the college level.
As for a pro HC position, if his sucess at RU merits offers, Schiano might not want to put up with the pros because he would be treated like a god at Rutgers if his teams were good enough to have the pro owners and GMs want him to be their HC

Last edited:
Reactions: cicero grimes
I cannot see greg going to the hinterlands of Nebraska from NJ unless their is a substantial increase in what they want to pay him. I can see Greg leaving for an elite program but that offer is in the future after he resurrects Rutgers for the 2nd time.

Kansas beat Tennessee Tech 56-10. The first real test for Kansas and coach Lance Leipold is this weekends matchup against West Virginia. Leipold is an elite gameday coach. He is a master of getting the most from his players during gameday. We will see how their season shapes up but Leipold will be winning consistently at Kansas by year 4.
It will be interesting because both Schiano and Leipold took over teams at about the same time. We will have a good look at who is able to develop their players and program quicker and more effectively. I think both coach Schiano and Leipold are very good coaches with different styles of coaching.

Yes, we still win. Prove me wrong ?
Because that Arkansas team went into the shi$ter after Petrino was canned . They were awful after that and were coached by an awful coach in John L Snith . It was still a close game that we needed to beat them. If Petrino was there , different story.

This post says everything. It's fine to compare Leipold and Schiano as coaches. I'd probably tip my hat to LL as the better GD coach. But no one was a better fit for Rutgers in 2020 than GS. The state of the reeling program after the thrashing of KF and CA - no one could stop the spiraling faster than GS.

This post says everything. It's fine to compare Leipold and Schiano as coaches. I'd probably tip my hat to LL as the better GD coach. But no one was a better fit for Rutgers in 2020 than GS. The state of the reeling program after the thrashing of KF and CA - no one could stop the spiraling faster than GS.
100% agree! I was a big supporter initially to bring in Lance Leipold as HC. Once Greg made his intentions known I switched to backing Greg. NJ is a unique animal in that the coach has to be able to work Trenton as well as Old Queens and no coach would be able to do that better than Greg Schiano.
Lance Leipold is an excellent gameday coach, and I still think it is interesting how these two very different coaches will go about developing their programs.

How Lance Leipold has stabilized, and energized, the Kansas Jayhawks football program​

With its long-languishing football program once again — or maybe just still? — in chaos after the abrupt end of another misbegotten coaching decision some 17 months ago, Kansas Athletics at last stopped grasping at smoke and mirrors, gimmicks or guesses.
The previous four hires had either been past their prime or not not ready for prime time; the KU compass had spun wildly in hopes of making a splash with a “name” … to connecting on a Hail Mary with a budget hamstrung by buyouts.

Under then-new athletic director Travis Goff, though, KU last year applied a relatively radical concept: an entirely logical hire that prioritized substance and practicality and fit, starkly in contrast with the theatrics and oddities of the Les Miles era immediately preceding.
In turning to then-Buffalo coach Lance Leipold, Kansas went for a straightforward and no-nonsense man, one who is pleasant but not flashy and who certainly would rather be known for genuineness than sizzle.
For that matter, he refers to all he does as part of a collaborative effort with a staff that he stressed he wouldn’t stand here without when he first met with the media in Lawrence (and has pointed out ever since).
So what you see is what you get with Leipold, you could surmise in his approach when he was hired … and see all the more now.
That’s part of why we have every belief that Leipold, 58, is the right man at the right time for KU, which opens its season against Tennessee Tech on Sept. 2 at Memorial Stadium.
Not that anything is remotely certain for Kansas as it tries to find traction toward being competitive for the first time since Mark Mangino was forced out in 2009.
But something compelling and intriguing happened even as KU went 2-10 in Leipold’s first season.
It wasn’t just that truly incredible 57-56 overtime win in Austin, nicely encapsulated by seldom-seen walk-on Jared Casey scoring the winning points against the talent-rich Longhorns.
It also was that Kansas was 1-8 when it pulled that off and had been blasted 35-10 by Kansas State the week before.
That had left even Leipold wondering whether his first team might go through the motions at season’s end and enjoy just taking “a look around the nicer stadiums one more time before they hit the road.”
Instead, that week in Austin became at least a tentative inflection point. Not only did the Jayhawks beat Texas, they also nearly upended TCU in Fort Worth a week later before falling 31-28. Then they acquitted themselves well in a 34-28 loss against West Virginia in the season finale.
If you accept that you typically have to walk before you can run in these scenarios, that was obvious progress against gravity.
Just the same …
“A statement like this may bite me some day, but we can’t play for moral victories,” Leipold said in his office on Wednesday. “There’s not a ‘moral victory’ column in this thing.”

Related video: The Big 12's Outlook Heading Into The College Basketball Season - The Morning

View on Watch

That end of the season, though, generated what Leipold considered a real “buzz” within a team that a year ago was the youngest among the Power Five, reflected emerging discipline (the fifth-fewest penalties a game, 4.08, in the nation) and returns 17 starters who figure to be bolstered by a Big 12-high 19 transfers.
Leipold felt that energy gather momentum this spring and into camp, especially with a group that the coaches actually know this time around … and a group that in turn knows the coaches and their expectations and now understands the systems in an entirely different way.
So it’s easy to see why Leipold says the difference between where the team is now and was a year ago is like “night and day.”
Heck, he’ll tell you he knows “we’re a better football team.”
But he also knows it’s time to take more tangible steps, and that one of the challenges of Year Two inherently is that the honeymoon period is fading and that the reality check looms.
So he smiles at the thought that people might feel they’ve heard this story of being on the cusp of a turnaround before … only to be disappointed. And he asks the questions even of himself.
“How much better (they’ll be) is going to be told here in the first month of the season,” he said. “As we progress and then go from there, have we truly taken another step from those last three games?
“We’re saying it, we’re talking about it, people like yourself are writing about it. But now … we have to go out and start doing it.”
Especially because the future is always now in coaching. In this case, it’s also about how now affects the future as Kansas tries to catch up in the facilities arms race.
“What keeps me up at night is taking another step to keep people believing,” he said. “Because part of people believing and saying nice things is getting people to come to the stadium.”
As conscious as Leipold is of adapting as needed, his constancy still resonates and is reaffirmed in almost any conversation with him.

Like the one we had when we got talking about the job at KU within the flux in college sports … such as NIL and the transfer portal and ever-churning conference realignment.
He thought about how he and his staff work to be alert and nimble to the changing times, not to mention appreciating the wider canvas of the highest-profile job he’s ever had and all that comes with that.
But at its heart, and in his heart, this job remains to him less about the level of football than the essence of coaching.
His degree of worry about letting people down or not doing his end of it drove him as much at Division III Wisconsin-Whitewater (where he led his teams to six national titles) as at Buffalo of the Mid-American Conference as it does at Kansas of the Big 12.
For that matter, Leipold still is a reflection of his foundation as a “small-town Wisconsin guy who played Division III sports” (at Wisconsin-Whitewater).
As such, he’ll tell you he’s in this now for the same reasons he always has been: to compete, mold, teach, set an example and provide opportunity.
“I’ve always kind of inwardly cringed when people say, ‘I know it’s a business, Coach,’” he said. “Well, when you’re coaching D-3 football (and) riding buses for 10 hours, you’re not really thinking about the business part of it.
“The only business I had to worry about was how many hole sponsors and foursomes I got for the golf outing to make sure we could pay for the trip.”
In some ways, of course, this job is entirely different. But you can also see that his past and his path made him a particular fit for a program with far fewer resources than most of its competitors.
“We can’t control if we have the nicest stadium or the nicest facilities,” he said. “But we can control our attitude and effort.”
That may mean having to be “a little scrappier,” and that the vehicles to success perhaps aren’t “as bright and shiny” as they are elsewhere.
Seeing it that way might not have made for a splash last year. But it certainly has the makings of something with more staying power: a prevailing wave ahead.
©2022 The Kansas City Star. Visit kansascity.com. Distributed by Tribune Content Agency, LLC.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...-kansas-jayhawks-football-program/ar-AA11iZwV

ADVERTISEMENT