ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano versus Leipold

I'm done with your silly arguments.

Great coaching here by Leipold!!! Bwa ha, ha, ha. Who puts a QB out there who can't accurately throw a short forward pass?

aa
The fact that his team scored 50 something point in a game puts him ahead of GS. That not even getting into the overall record
He also beat Texas last year. He’s doing a great job at Kansas. I wish we played in games like I see them playing. They are fun to watch and are clearly well coached.
Do t know why this is even a conversation, LL is a HOF coach

That the problem a lot of people only think GS can do it here. I would have much rather went with a winning coach
I felt there were better choices out there when Greg was hired and Lance might be considered one of them.
But with what RU needed to become a winner and time it would take to do so, the better choices passed the job by because of what RU was offering in salary and benefits and the worry of how much support from the Administration the football program would get.
Sometimes the money accepted by coaches taking positions in other places than Rutgers might be smaller, but it's the backing the HC will be getting over what RU would give was the deciding factor
Other coaches that are being mentioned as hires RU should have looked into,should have those mentioning look at the pay and support the program that hired them is giving them.
Time, money and support is always an issue when RU needs to hire a FB HC.
Schiano received big bucks by this boards standers, but it wasn't really B1G bucks and he had to fight for every penny, backing and years , needing fan support to make a deal with Hobbs.
Other possible candidates might not have wanted to go through such a hassle when other options were available.
Greg's options were limited , but he still fit as someone that could make RU FB respectable again, if given the time
As for making RU a great program that might not happen under hm, but making a fairly good program that is bowl eligible just about every year is within reason under Schiano .

I feel all the who should have been hired instead leaves out, who would come with what Rutgers had to offer.and would they be better than Greg or a bigger gamble.

The fact that his team scored 50 something point in a game puts him ahead of GS. That not even getting into the overall record

at the lower level he proved to be one, up at P-5 level it remains to be seen
37-33 at Buffalo and 8-17 at Kansas (6-7 this year)
are not HOF credentials .
But his 109-6 ( 7 Championship seasons in 8 years ) at DivisionIII shows he can win and could be HOF material at a top division program
I won't count Lance out, but won't give him HOF status or being the equal to the best , just because he was one at a lower level .

I felt there were better choices out there when Greg was hired and Lance might be considered one of them.
But with what RU needed to become a winner and time it would take to do so, the better choices passed the job by because of what RU was offering in salary and benefits and the worry of how much support from the Administration the football program would get.
Sometimes the money accepted by coaches taking positions in other places than Rutgers might be smaller, but it's the backing the HC will be getting over what RU would give was the deciding factor
Other coaches that are being mentioned as hires RU should have looked into,should have those mentioning look at the pay and support the program that hired them is giving them.
Schiano received big bucks by this boards standers, but it wasn't really B1G bucks and he had to fight for every penny, backing and years , needing fan support to make a deal with Hobbs.
Other possible candidates might not have wanted to go through such a hassle when other options were available.
Greg's options were limited , but he still fit as someone that could make RU FB respectable again, if given the time
As for making RU a great program that might not happen under hm, but making a fairly good program that is bowl eligible just about every year is within reason under Schiano .

I feel all the who should have been hired instead leaves out, who would come with what Rutgers had to offer.and would they be better than Greg or a bigger gamble.
This is also true. Think about the fact that we had major major donors threatening to pull donations if Hobbs went away from GS.

Reactions: William J. Leggett
This is also true. Think about the fact that we had major major donors threatening to pull donations if Hobbs went away from GS.
That whole time period was comical. I wanted Mike Leach. I was neither for nor against hiring Greg, but we had no choice but to accept the hire. The mob that went after Hobbs and the narratives were quite pathetic. In the end, Pat was right to see who else was interested. Bielema was on deck if RU and Greg could not come to an agreement. Wonder how that would have played out.

Snyder elected to leave because he was falling to 3rd on depth chart and fighting Simon for that.
He seen the writing on wall and decided to go home , he was raised an hour or 2 away from Buffalo in Lakewood,NY
It was a good decision by him.
Only thing the coaching had to do with his decision was a depth chart one, not game strategy..
I look for Simon to look for a program he can have a better chance to start at and if he does well in 2024 Evan will be the next Slinging Sammy Baugh to have left Rutgers in some poster's eyes.
One thing I will agree on, is RU hasn't had a QB to brag about in a long time.
So braging about those who left is going to happen..

Will give credit to Lance having more offensive balls than GREG.
Schiano wouldn't have run a play in the first OT like Lance did on fourth down
and a foot or two to get TD, Greg would have went for FG and hoped the D & ST would keep the Hogs from scoring.
More than likely losing the game with a conservative approach
Neither you nor I know the exact reasons Snyder left. If you watch his style of play at Buffalo, you can tell he likes to sling it, and it appears he has freedom to do so. At Rutgers, you go straight to the doghouse for taking any type of risk. The ball is the program. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. A boring brand of football.

Which B10 coaches would you rank behind Schiano?
Good question. Let's see.

Top Tier:
Harbaugh, Day and Franklin.

Mid Tier:
Tucker (could move to lower or upper tier) , Ferentz, Fleck, Bielema, Locksley,

Lower Tier:
Fitzgerald (could be mid tier), Schiano, Allen

Unknown:
Fickell, Rhule, Walters--basing this on lack of current experience at current job.

Currently, would put Allen at Indiana equal or behind Schiano.

Lance Leipold can coach circles around Schiano.
There is no comparison.

Reactions: brgRC90
That whole time period was comical. I wanted Mike Leach. I was neither for nor against hiring Greg, but we had no choice but to accept the hire. The mob that went after Hobbs and the narratives were quite pathetic. In the end, Pat was right to see who else was interested. Bielema was on deck if RU and Greg could not come to an agreement. Wonder how that would have played out.
"Bielema was on deck if RU and Greg could not come to an agreement." ???
Do you know this for a fact???
Seems like no one knew if anyone else wanted the job and Schiano wasn't looking like he'd come, with what he was being offered compared to what he wanted , until the RU fanbase started complaining and a compromise was worked out so he'd take the job.
But you're saying Bielema was interested, or going by rumors on message board ??

Know there were jokes about BB being looked at and SG asked for his opinion.
But I felt the talk was just message board speculation and not Hobbs actually looking at him. being discussed

"Bielema was on deck if RU and Greg could not come to an agreement." ???
Do you know this for a fact???
Seems like no one knew if anyone else wanted the job and Schiano wasn't looking like he'd come, with what he was being offered compared to what he wanted , until the RU fanbase started complaining and a compromise was worked out so he'd take the job.
But you're saying Bielema was interested, or going by rumors on message board ??

Know there were jokes about BB being looked at and SG asked for his opinion.
But I felt the talk was just message board speculation and not Hobbs actually looking at him. being discussed
It is not a joke. It was in testimony in his lawsuit against Arkansas. Thought this was pretty well known.

And if you believe what was said (and it is not always 100% true), there were two or three finalists.

"According to the filing, “Bielema was (recently) a finalist for the head coach positions at Rutgers and Colorado and was interviewed by the Athletics Directors at both those schools as part of the selection process. Coach Bielema was one of two or three finalists at both Rutgers and Colorado.”"

Reactions: MADHAT1
It is not a joke. It was in testimony in his lawsuit against Arkansas. Thought this was pretty well known.

And if you believe what was said (and it is not always 100% true), there were two or three finalists.

"According to the filing, “Bielema was (recently) a finalist for the head coach positions at Rutgers and Colorado and was interviewed by the Athletics Directors at both those schools as part of the selection process. Coach Bielema was one of two or three finalists at both Rutgers and Colorado.”"

Thank you , I stand corrected thinking you were going by message board speculation.
My apologies for inferring that.

If only we had exciting games to watch like Kansas instead of the horrible borefests we have to suffer through. Even a 55 to 53 loss is far more fun than a 17 to 3 loss.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
at the lower level he proved to be one, up at P-5 level it remains to be seen
37-33 at Buffalo and 8-17 at Kansas (6-7 this year)
are not HOF credentials .
But his 109-6 ( 7 Championship seasons in 8 years ) at DivisionIII shows he can win and could be HOF material at a top division program
I won't count Lance out, but won't give him HOF status or being the equal to the best , just because he was one at a lower level .
He is HOF based on what he did at the lower level. Didn’t say he was equal
to the best we have now.

I didn't want GS for the exact problems we're having now...no offense. IMO offense is the avenue with the best potential to outperform your status on the landscape. Felt a little more optimistic after the initial presser and year 1 but alas we're back in our offensive doldrums.

Ironically, even though I didn't want GS as the hire..in hindsight I think it needed to happen (sans the 8 years). He's too big a shadow for a good portion of the fanbase. No hire is a guarantee (including GS) and he would have overshadowed other choices. He needed to be given that opportunity to get resolution. If he works out great and if he doesn't then at least he was given the chance and we can move on to any new hire with a clean slate and no ghost of GS hanging over it.

If it doesn't work out, I'd be keeping an eye on Longo at Wisconsin. If he works out at Wisconsin and he can overhaul the offense there and make it go and some of that physicality of Fickell rubs off on him, he'd be solid choice to give an opportunity. He'll have B10 experience now too. I'm never one who cared about NJ ties but that would be a bonus with him.

I didn't want GS for the exact problems we're having now...no offense. IMO offense is the avenue with the best potential to outperform your status on the landscape. Felt a little more optimistic after the initial presser and year 1 but alas we're back in our offensive doldrums.

Ironically, even though I didn't want GS as the hire..in hindsight I think it needed to happen (sans the 8 years). He's too big a shadow for a good portion of the fanbase. No hire is a guarantee (including GS) and he would have overshadowed other choices. He needed to be given that opportunity to get resolution. If he works out great and if he doesn't then at least he was given the chance and we can move on to any new hire with a clean slate and no ghost of GS hanging over it.

If it doesn't work out, I'd be keeping an eye on Longo at Wisconsin. If he works out at Wisconsin and he can overhaul the offense there and make it go and some of that physicality of Fickell rubs off on him, he'd be solid choice to give an opportunity. He'll have B10 experience now too. I'm never one who cared about NJ ties but that would be a bonus with him.
Honest question- after 05 and outside of 2010- when did GS actually have a bad offense?
He may not have been scoring 40 per game but he had some really good offenses. 1st team to have a 3000 yd passer, 2000 yd rusher and 2 1000 yd receivers- 2008- 2nd half of the season, rolling everyone…

Honest question- after 05 and outside of 2010- when did GS actually have a bad offense?
He may not have been scoring 40 per game but he had some really good offenses. 1st team to have a 3000 yd passer, 2000 yd rusher and 2 1000 yd receivers- 2008- 2nd half of the season, rolling everyone…
Doing it over and over again and not just with a specific player or group of players proves you can create highly productive offense and it wasn’t just a flash in the pan. Also don’t think that style of offense is the best potential avenue.

I can only look up as far back as the last 3 years (2009-2011) of his tenure but total offense rankings in those years were 97-114 and scoring offense 50s, 60s and 100s. That’s not good enough especially in today’s CFB.

Last edited:
A great coach doesn’t need “his own” recruits to succeed.

A great coach adapts with who they have.
We shall see what happens when he runs out of Les Miles' recruits. Portal or traditional recruiting.. in a few years they will all be his.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT