ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano vs Ash recruiting

Ash could go down as the worst coach in the history of D1 football. He is easily a top 5 candidate. The guy was less than worthless and arrogant to boot.

Yes . I felt shea was a nice guy . I actually felt flood really loved rutgers and got his dream job and failed (still not defending the hire ). Ash didn’t really seem to like rutgers or fit here . What really irked us was that he apparently mailed it in, according to the hs coaches. It really is troubling to me that Hobbs couldn’t identify that after 3 years and thought he was still the guy . Schiano will succeed in spite of Hobbs

I will admit that I had my doubts about bringing Schiano back. To be fair, recruiting was never a problem for him, so we'll see how all of this translates, but so far, we all have to be 100% pleased. There is not one thing GS could have done better since his hire.
But it makes me sad to think that Rutgers isn't some place no one wants to play as it seemed under Chris Ash. It's obviously not impossible to recruit here. We really did just waste a ton of momentum and about 10 years of potential program building.
But, on to bigger and better things. I'm really excited to see our FB and BB programs rise up the B1G ranks for the next few years (along with a few other programs which are already thriving). Should be a fun time for RU sports.

It's hard to say if Schiano 2.0 is better than 1.0, because 2.0 is recruiting to, and has the resources of, Rutgers 2.0. And Rutgers 2.0 is way better also.

I’m not sure if it was a type B personality—I think it more of an arrogance and inability to understand the world around him. The irony is he had absolutely no basis for being arrogant about anything.
From what I have heard regarding Ash from people that knew him much better than I, met him once at a reception, it wasn't that he was an arrogant man. He was "extremely socially awkward" is what I was told by multiple people. He was not ready to be in the NY/NJ metropolitan area. Bad fit from the get go. Didn't impress the kids and couldn't relate to the parents.

Reactions: Plum Street
Schiano 1.0 was a boss and schiano 2.0 is a leader.

He has learned to let good assistants do their thing and to not micromanage them.

Fran Brown was almost as important a piece as schiano. I hope he is groomed to take over when schiano retires.

I am sure the Ohio state time didn’t hurt . But saying that schiano apprenticed at Ohio state is ridiculous. Schiano coached at Miami before rutgers. Miami won the NC the next year when schiano came to rutgers . He was also at penn state (with paterno and Sandusky), a national powerhouse.
So i am sure he learned some stuff at Ohio state . But it’s not like he didn’t dance this dance before. .
I think you are right that he likely learned much more at those stints early in his career.

But I also think that working under a great coach at that stage in his career allowed him to learn with a much different perspective.

Reactions: beaced
I think you are right that he likely learned much more at those stints early in his career.

But I also think that working under a great coach at that stage in his career allowed him to learn with a much different perspective.

I am sure that is true . But I am just saying schiano was pretty good here before Urban.
Ash coached under urban too.

Hypothetical—What would have happened if Chris Ash had started working at Rutgers right away instead of staying at Ohio State those extra weeks? Would he have been able to put out the fire Flood started or would everything have turned out the same way, just not as fast?

He still couldn’t recruit any talent in New Jersey. That was his downfall ( and not having any competency in building a P5 Coaching staff).

There is no comparison between Ash and Schiano. Ash’s class rankings were steadily in decline and right now Schiano’s 2021 class is ranked #12 in the nation!
The more relevant question is Schiano 1.0 v. Schiano 2.0. My opinion is Schiano 2.0 is much much better. His apprenticeship under Urban was very good for him and it is crystal clear he walked away from that gig with a lot of knowledge. Greg has finally figured out the key to getting NJ talent. He has some of the head coaches from some of top programs in the state on his staff and those guys 1) know NJ 2) and more importantly know all the coaches in NJ. When they hear of an outstanding player at a not a football power school they probably know the coach so Rutgers will be able to find talent that falls under the radar of programs that do not know nj.
Greg Schiano 2.0 is much better than the 1.0 version. I have not been this excited for RU football in a long time!
You are not alone .I have been waiting for this since Greg left.

Reactions: BROTHERSKINNY
Ash who?

Even that phrase sounds like a sneeze that is respreading the Ash virus.

Let's clean all surfaces he touched and not let him back in the building.

Texas is about to find out what we all know.

Schiano is the perfect fit for Rutgers and Rutgers is the perfect fit for Schiano!
What an exciting time to be a Rutgers football fan!!! Basketball too!!
To borrow a quote from one of the greatest coaches ever.......
success-is-peace-of-mind-john-wooden-quote.jpg

People who learned this early on in life are the successful fathers,husbands,coaches,business men,friends etc.Think back on any disappointment that you had in your own life and visualize the difference today if you were closing at all times.This doesn't make you an unfeeling ,harsh person. It puts you on a better path to a good life for you and for those within your sphere of a caring influence.
I am sure that is true . But I am just saying schiano was pretty good here before Urban.
Ash coached under urban too.
Two very different personalities.

It put the finishing touches to an already great product.Like whipped cream on a great piece of apple pie.

Reactions: RU-05
Schiano 1.0 was a boss and schiano 2.0 is a leader.

He has learned to let good assistants do their thing and to not micromanage them.

Fran Brown was almost as important a piece as schiano. I hope he is groomed to take over when schiano retires.

"]Schiano 1.0 was a boss and schiano 2.0 is a leader.

Fran Brown was almost as important a piece as schiano. I hope he is groomed to take over when schiano retires.[/QUOTE]
Your first sentence sums it up. VERY COGENTLY EXPRESSED.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Is Powell definitely going to be playing QB this year?

He will have a good chance. A lot depends on how the new Staff views the ability of Art to lead the offense.
Either way Powell sees the field in some position and makes an impact.

Reactions: ILikePike
thoughts

Greg was always a good recruiter....when he left us, he had one of his best recruiting classes lining up...we lost one or two of those in the change to
Flood...

this time around, a couple of things....the staff he has now is way superior to his first, particularly with the addition of Brown to help the recruiting..... hopefully the better staff also adds to better game day play calling and being ready to play

most importantly , we are recruiting in a fishbowl right now.... the NJ recruits are pretty much trapped here, and I am sure Greg is all over the locals that he wants, and he is getting results

I would wonder how much of that would have happened if the situation was normal...anyway, glad to take advantage of that

the reverse could also be true, of course....how many quality, out of the area players are we not going to get, because of the lack of proper contact, and the local school with constant contact.

I do hope we get off to a decent start if/when we have the season ,pre-signing day.....I would hate for the local verbals to get second thoughts, once they are out of the fish bowl

reflect back that we could have easily wound up with the Buffalo coach, the Army coach, or the Miss st coach..... I think all would have been a huge step down from Greg

Reactions: leonh71
Is anyone arguing otherwise?

No. But people think he’s going to be so much better after urban . I am saying he was already with some great coaches and teams before urban . He got us as highly ranked as fifth at Rutgers . Let’s table the great urban influence until he does that or better this time around.

No. But people think he’s going to be so much better after urban . I am saying he was already with some great coaches and teams before urban . He got us as highly ranked as fifth at Rutgers . Let’s table the great urban influence until he does that or better this time around.
I think it's fine to project that Schiano, who has already proven himself as a good college coach, will be even better this time around.

And not just the Urban factor, but also just from maturing, and even having a season off to re calibrate.

I think it's fine to project that Schiano, who has already proven himself as a good college coach, will be even better this time around.

And not just the Urban factor, but also just from maturing, and even having a season off to re calibrate.

I don’t know if he’s going to be better . I think he’s going to be good . To get to highly ranked as 5th and 10 wins and a bowl win is going be very tough. But he will get us to respect level and that’s more than fine

I don’t know if he’s going to be better . I think he’s going to be good . To get to highly ranked as 5th and 10 wins and a bowl win is going be very tough. But he will get us to respect level and that’s more than fine
Given the increased difficulty level of being in the B1G I think he could be a better coach then he was, and not reach that level.

Along that line of thinking, if he were to reach #5 in the country and 10 wins, I would be very accepting of the notion that he has improved as a coach.

Given the increased difficulty level of being in the B1G I think he could be a better coach then he was, and not reach that level.

Along that line of thinking, if he were to reach #5 in the country and 10 wins, I would be very accepting of the notion that he has improved as a coach.

I hope we can be number 5 in the country and win 10 games . I would love to have that discussion about schiano’s Improvement under those circumstances!

Recruiting equation:

Ash < A Cinder Block < Any random coach in the old Big East < A Cinder Block with a Rivals subscription < Schiano 1.0 < Schiano 2.0

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Are the walk ones we are getting through Coach Schiano as good or better than some of the kids Ash was offering schollies?

Was thinking the same thing- first, he HAS to be better then he was...but even if he is, to get ranked as high as 5 or 6, we would pretty much be in the B1G CCG. And that is a tall order.
To show he is better- he needs to consistently recruit top 25 and be in bowls 4 out of 5 years with top 25 finishes every 2-3 years...

Ash treated this like a stepping stone job. He thought simply plugging in a formula would make him successful. He had no idea how to navigate the NJ metropolitan area and once his formula proved unsound he was doomed.

Schiano sees this as a destination job. Armed with all the knowledge of the NJ metropolitan area. His seasoning has taught him no one formula works everywhere and you must adapt to what the circumstances dictate.

Reactions: leonh71 and beaced
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT