ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano will talk about the turnovers but....

We are 4 points better than Nevada. (10 points - 3 for Nevada on its home field, - 3 points for Iowa not on its home field

That's who we are.

Their defense didn’t force our QB to throw into obvious double coverage or force our WR to tuck the ball with the wrong arm. That’s entirely on RU.
Their defense puts enormous pressure on the other team that forces mistakes. No one plays perfect football. And this is the problem with the offense Schiano is trying to run. He is trying to minimize some mistakes, but against good teams, or good defenses, he is exposing the team to lots of different types of mistakes and turnovers. The way he is running his offense will not work against the mid to upper half of the Big10.

Their defense puts enormous pressure on the other team that forces mistakes. No one plays perfect football. And this is the problem with the offense Schiano is trying to run. He is trying to minimize some mistakes, but against good teams, or good defenses, he is exposing the team to lots of different types of mistakes and turnovers. The way he is running his offense will not work against the mid to upper half of the Big10.
Not a logical flow

We lost because we are not quite a big ten program yet, across the board, starting at QB.
You always laugh at the no turnover mantra and dismiss the importance of turnovers but it’s TRUE! You can’t turn the ball over or you lose most of the time. As soon as we turned it over we were done unless we took it back and we didn’t . So yes you will here the coach talk about and he should , we need to protect the ball. Simple concept !

Silly post

Iowa's safeties are really, really good. On both interceptions those safeties broke off their original coverages to go to the then-open receivers to whom the ball was thrown. On the first one, Simon got crushed as he stepped into the throw. Throwing for 300 against that D is not easy. Not sure why some of you don't see the obvious arm talent - mostly accurate. There were a few drops as well.

I gotta say I despise youngblood. Simons turnover was bad but youngbloods was ten times worse. He was carrying the ball in the wrong arm. That's such a simple thing to do.

Its too bad Simon didn't have a chance to grow up last season
It does stink… The staff elected to try and make a bowl game and thought that was the better decision long term for the program. Was it the right one? Not sure..

I guess the good thing with the injuries is that there is no option for the staff to flub this year in developing one of the young guys (turns out fate picked Simon) by having the carousel continue. All along I wanted them to roll with ONE of either of Simon or Gavin this year and just deal with the pains that come with the experience and development.

It does stink… The staff elected to try and make a bowl game and thought that was the better decision long term for the program. Was it the right one? Not sure..

I guess the good thing with the injuries is that there is no option for the staff to flub this year in developing one of the young guys (turns out fate picked Simon) by having the carousel continue. All along I wanted them to roll with ONE of either of Simon or Gavin this year and just deal with the pains that come with the experience and development.
Greg said after the game that when Noah and GW return it will still be QB committee along with Simon.

QB tryouts could last the entire season. Langan isn’t out of the competition either.

• Angry
Reactions: BossNJ
Turnovers are part of football games.What mattered in this game was that Iowa returned the interception and fumble for touchdowns.Those 14 easy points were the difference in the game betwwen two teams with abysmal offense.Iowa put constant pass pressure on Simon and limited Rutgers rushing to small gains.Rutgers defense put pressure on the Iowa quarterback for most of the game .Iowa did gain some some big yardage running the ball in the third quarter.Iowa is well coached with fundamentals executed at a high level which will keep them in many games against more talented opponents.In contrast Rutgers has no margin for error because the talent level doesn't come close to most Big Ten teams.Its not a fluke that Rutgers can't win a home game against league competition.

Reactions: biker7766
Greg needs to find an OC he trusts to build an offense. Or find a better one.

Because all details/nitpicking aside, it is simply not ok for this offense to be where it is in year 3...

Reactions: Scangg
I don’t know how anyone can say we didn’t lose this game because of TOs - that’s a ridiculous statement. And it’s not the TOs per se, it’s the fact that they went for an immediate 14 points. It’s extremely rare to have two back to back TOs that result in 14 points without the D even getting on the field. It clearly changed the entire complexion of the game. I mean Iowa only scored 13 points on offense. To say we couldn’t have won without the TOs is a silly statement.

Against us, their offense is credited with 13 points. That’s very beatable if you don’t hurt yourself with stupid mistakes.
The third TD was the gift of pass interference on an uncatchable third down throw.
without that call, they kick a field goal, and their offense nets 9 points for the game instead

Just three field goals total for the game

yes, games are won and lost on the other guys errors, the reasoning is decades long

they just capitalized on each

I don’t know how anyone can say we didn’t lose this game because of TOs - that’s a ridiculous statement. And it’s not the TOs per se, it’s the fact that they went for an immediate 14 points. It’s extremely rare to have two back to back TOs that result in 14 points without the D even getting on the field. It clearly changed the entire complexion of the game. I mean Iowa only scored 13 points on offense. To say we couldn’t have won without the TOs is a silly statement.
I mean this...what more can be said really?

Need to win a B10 home game..this is killing the fanbase .20 straight.

Turnovers are an important stat but they are enormous for a Schiano offense. His entire offensive philosophy is based off of not turning the ball over. As soon as we do and the other team scores, it's worth 3x the points. Schiano looks at offense as a way to rest his defense. He doesn't look at it as a way to win games.

On paper we won this game. Almost every stat was in Rutgers favor. Except turnovers. Other teams can overcome that but we aren't close. The team can only win one way and that's with D, working clock, getting first downs and a few points when we can.

I liked what I saw from Simon but he's going to get killed if the OL doesn't protect better. No way he finishes the season taking hits like that constantly.

You always laugh at the no turnover mantra and dismiss the importance of turnovers but it’s TRUE! You can’t turn the ball over or you lose most of the time. As soon as we turned it over we were done unless we took it back and we didn’t . So yes you will here the coach talk about and he should , we need to protect the ball. Simple concept !
Its true we have to avoid turnovers, but not at the expense of throwing the ball down field. Run-run-throw it out of bounds isn't going to get a win either. Need to have a game plan like today, but execute better. And when we throw a long INT, we have to get the defender on the ground and make their offense earn the points.

Turnovers are an important stat but they are enormous for a Schiano offense. His entire offensive philosophy is based off of not turning the ball over. As soon as we do and the other team scores, it's worth 3x the points. Schiano looks at offense as a way to rest his defense. He doesn't look at it as a way to win games.

On paper we won this game. Almost every stat was in Rutgers favor. Except turnovers. Other teams can overcome that but we aren't close. The team can only win one way and that's with D, working clock, getting first downs and a few points when we can.

I liked what I saw from Simon but he's going to get killed if the OL doesn't protect better. No way he finishes the season taking hits like that constantly.
Most teams don’t overcome a -3 on turnovers and win the game. And especially if you’re RU’s offense which is still not completely overhauled yet.

Reactions: RUHouston
Did you think that for Nova and Teel after their second start? Serious question.
No I liked Nova. Though I started following team in 2003 I was pretty young and didn’t really understand anything when teel took over but I liked him over hart. Once those guys took one though there wasn’t an alternative that compelling.

No I liked Nova. Though I started following team in 2003 I was pretty young and didn’t really understand anything when teel took over but I liked him over hart. Once those guys took one though there wasn’t an alternative that compelling.
This is the same guy who thought Caleb McConnell was stealing minutes from Montez Mathis. Simon will be fine

we have shortcomings...... but we don't turn the ball over...... we win this game...

Schiano literally said the same thing.
Judging from the PFF scores and the fact that Simon was hit on 50% of the throws, you must have watched a different game than the rest of us. Schiano didn’t say there were a lot of clean pockets. He said it was a mixed bag.

ADVERTISEMENT