ADVERTISEMENT

School of Engineering Precinct Plan

RUseaweed

All Conference
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2007
Herndon, VA via Hillsborough, NJ
I was digging around the School of Engineering website and came across this beautifully put together presentation on "The Precinct Plan". It's 56 pages and was put together over the summer. It provides more information than the overall master plan that Rutgers put together three years ago.

Here is a picture of what it should all look like. Note that Weeks Hall is the white building on the far right, and CORE is the yellow building on the far left. All the other white and red buildings are new, and the entirety of the rest of buildings A through E are razed.

47576832_10110438786360339_5004209758282973184_o.jpg

From reading the report, the next phase is to renovate/expand the fiber optics lab. Then, they begin demolishing old parts of the engineering building and building new ones behind the Busch Student Center.

I am really happy that they put this very thorough plan together, and really hope that we are able to raise the funds (through budgeting or fundraising) to get this done. Weeks Hall is an enormous step forward but we need a lot more building to catch up with our B1G engineering peers.

Weeks hall, the new chem building and biomed are top notch and just the start of transforming The SOe and Busch!

It's good for sure, and I'd mos def add the proteomics building and the new Pharma extension to your list, but these need to be just the start. We've still got a LOT of shit, obsolete buildings, and we're still a long way behind our peers in terms of built space. Need to see a few more projects approved by the BoG soon...

I was digging around the School of Engineering website and came across this beautifully put together presentation on "The Precinct Plan". It's 56 pages and was put together over the summer. It provides more information than the overall master plan that Rutgers put together three years ago.

Here is a picture of what it should all look like. Note that Weeks Hall is the white building on the far right, and CORE is the yellow building on the far left. All the other white and red buildings are new, and the entirety of the rest of buildings A through E are razed.

47576832_10110438786360339_5004209758282973184_o.jpg

From reading the report, the next phase is to renovate/expand the fiber optics lab. Then, they begin demolishing old parts of the engineering building and building new ones behind the Busch Student Center.

I am really happy that they put this very thorough plan together, and really hope that we are able to raise the funds (through budgeting or fundraising) to get this done. Weeks Hall is an enormous step forward but we need a lot more building to catch up with our B1G engineering peers.
As a parent of a prospective (at the time) student I would have loved to have heard more about Weeks Hall and this precinct plan at the Open House and the Admitted Students Day program.

Weeks was not mentioned at all and neither was this.

As a parent of a prospective (at the time) student I would have loved to have heard more about Weeks Hall and this precinct plan at the Open House and the Admitted Students Day program.

Nephews engineering tour two months ago was in Weeks Halls and they did discuss the future of the Engineering buildings. He should hear any day now.

Nephews engineering tour two months ago was in Weeks Halls and they did discuss the future of the Engineering buildings. He should hear any day now.
This was the week mine got in last year.

Reactions: RC1978

I'm not sure if it was an ooersight or just a one-time missed opportunity but that's the short-sightedness that we've come to expect from Rutgers. It's incredible that they have something potentially to sell and it gets left out of the pitch. If this was highlighted 98 out of 100 times during tours and other occasions and the two times were the Open House and Admitted Students Days, those would still be unacceptable.

Reactions: Tararua
I'm not sure if it was an oversight or just a one-time missed opportunity but that's the short-sightedness that we've come to expect from Rutgers. It's incredible that they have something potentially to sell and it gets left out of the pitch. If this was highlighted 98 out of 100 times during tours and other occasions and the two times were the Open House and Admitted Students Days, those would still be unacceptable.
I kept waiting and waiting for somebody to bring it up and they never did. Even during the tour, Weeks Hall was not mentioned or pointed out.

Good to hear from @RC1978 that seems to have been corrected.

This plan brings up one important question.....where is everyone going to park? Those buildings knock out a ton of critical parking spaces.

I'm not sure if it was an ooersight or just a one-time missed opportunity but that's the short-sightedness that we've come to expect from Rutgers. It's incredible that they have something potentially to sell and it gets left out of the pitch. If this was highlighted 98 out of 100 times during tours and other occasions and the two times were the Open House and Admitted Students Days, those would still be unacceptable.
In their defense this precinct plan was only put together this summer. E5fdny sounds like he was on a tour sometime earlier than that. I agree not mentioning Weeks Hall during the tour is inexcusable but the larger plan for the SoE might not have been finished at the time of that tour/admitted students day.

Reactions: RUnTeX
This plan brings up one important question.....where is everyone going to park? Those buildings knock out a ton of critical parking spaces.

Whether they are "critical" is a matter of perspective. While expensive to build, structured/garage parking is the way to go relative to surface parking as it allows for a higher and better use of the land, i.e. the expanded engineering complex of new buildings.

Reactions: Korbermeister
Whether they are "critical" is a matter of perspective. While expensive to build, structured/garage parking is the way to go relative to surface parking as it allows for a higher and better use of the land, i.e. the expanded engineering complex of new buildings.

Completely agree. If RU could turn 50% of its surface parking lots in prime real estate into decks or other more high density parking, it would be MASSIVE leap forward for the school in terms of building. A large deck behind the Barn and CASC could alleviate parking concerns for most of College Ave. Same with the huge lots on Busch like those by ASB or the Rutgers Federal Credit Union. Make those high density, and suddenly you can open a huge part of the campus for further and much needed building.

ADVERTISEMENT