ADVERTISEMENT

Schools closing early for heat..lol

bac2therac

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 30, 2001
Belle Mead NJ
Never had AC and also couldn't wear shorts and flip flops like they do now.

really the only time anyone wore shorts to school back in the 70s and 80s was when it was going to be 85 plus...now kids were them in April when its in the 60s right through the end of the year.

What happened to toughen up for a few hours, have we become such a society where its all about..why suffer, lets just go home...but then a half day is a waste as basically everyone is just waiting to be sent home...cancel the day and make everybody go extra days if you really feel its oppressive. I get it if its 105 but its low 90s

There have always been school closures due to heat. Example my high school that had 3 floors and no A/C and poor ventilation. The upper floor rooms get to be 90+ degrees on hot days. Not sure a whole lot of learning goes on under those conditions.

since when...certainly not in the 70s and 80s and we had even less AC back then in schools

I was in elementary school in the late 80s/early 90s with no AC and remember school closing early once or twice due to hot temps.

And that was in the South!

Well here in the Hudson valley (snowy as heck sometimes) they close schools for 2" of snow...and they closed early today for heat...so f***ing pathetic

Snowflakes melt really fast in this "terrible" heat! [roll]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in my day (hudson county before gentrification) the schools and community centers would allow people to stay after school even longer to stay cool. A lot of people couldn't afford to have an A/C in their home.

This just seems bizarre to me.

http://newjersey.news12.com/story/35640873/classes-canceled-at-some-nj-schools-due-to-excessive-heat

are we coddling these kids. We all experienced hot days at school where some rooms had air and some did not. It was low to mid 90s with relative okay humidity today, garden variety heat...are we teaching these kids that there is no reason to suffer...when you grow up you can stay home from work because its too hot. This has to be a recent phenomenon of closing schools for heat..what gives?
No they are not coddling these kids. In the city of Newark, the Public Schools do not have AC in the classrooms. Teaching in Newark for 15 years and especially if you are teaching on a higher floor, it's brutal. Students are in uniforms, and the only personnel that has AC is the administration. However, all Newark Charter Schools have AC. Go figure!

I think you guys are missing the root cause. It's not because they're pampering kids. The district's don't want to close. It's because they fear parents who will sue if a kid overheats. It reminds me of something my wife and I often say. We're walking into a business and see a ridiculous sign like "No hanging from the lights." We always say, somebody hung from those lights once. They fell, and they sued.

I think you guys are missing the root cause. It's not because they're pampering kids. The district's don't want to close. It's because they fear parents who will sue if a kid overheats. It reminds me of something my wife and I often say. We're walking into a business and see a ridiculous sign like "No hanging from the lights." We always say, somebody hung from those lights once. They fell, and they sued.
That makes plausible sense, given how litigation hungry this country has gotten. Frankly I'm surprised judges don't hold lawyers in contempt over frivolous lawsuits, but I suppose they need to be paid as well.

Aren't you the same guy that cries about cold and snow ...because death!!

One of these days you're going to not leave yourself wide open to indictment when you rant, rave and cry about every group that is somehow inferior to the suburban white blue collar worker born in the 70s. It just won't be today.

How about when it happens in the country in one story buildings like up here in the HV...?

P U S S I F I C A T I O N!!

One of these days you're going to not leave yourself wide open to indictment when you rant, rave and cry about every group that is somehow inferior to the suburban white blue collar worker born in the 70s. It just won't be today.
Lol..usual routine..how about comment on the thread rather than your tired personal attack

That's not what he was talking about on that thread.

If I recall it was about how some in the thread didn't seem to care what bad weather can do to some people.

Back in my day: we were mailmen ( postal worker now) in training.
"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom the weather brings stays these students from WALKING to their schools"

Going to school > just about any distance we walked BITD :
Skip the bother, skip the fuss, take the public school bus was not for us> in any type of weather.
Snow Days were rare ( a few days of constant snow with it piled high and/or blizzard conditions .
Heat days [roll]? > never happened.

Next you're going to tell me you didn't wear seat belts and used to follow behind the mosquito truck.
Well there were no car seats for one and I don't think the first car I rode in had seat belts either. And yes on the mosquito truck. Lol

But every job I've ever had they did take SS out so don't blame me. :)

Reactions: bac2therac
you also effed up social security and the housing market so a lot of good toughing out a sweltering school day did for this country. Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

Next you're going to tell me you didn't wear seat belts and used to follow behind the mosquito. Actually this part is true. We didn't have seatbelts, and in the summer, we waited daily for the mosquito truck. I can still taste that smell!!

I also walked to and from school every day........Uphill, both ways.
I think we went to the same high school. Did your mom give you a hot potato to carry in the winter like mine? That older generation so inventive, not only did you get a hand warmer but lunch to boot all wrapped in one.

Agree - never had AC in elementary, middle, and high school (attended 70s through mid 80s) and was never closed for it being too hot. In fact they used to have summer enrichment programs through July and those were never cancelled either. It's really ridiculous these days.

Reactions: bac2therac
297.png

I'm always confused with these threads as if the kids are making these calls. It's your generation making these decisions. So obviously the heat was too much on tou guys. Your parents were tougher. Not sure why your so soft but I'm just hopeful that when my kids get to school age you snowflakes aren't in control any more. Then again I'm not sure what your generation exceeded at besides producing bad economies, terrible presidents and a nation that sues over everything so maybe we should do things different.

I graduated HS in '06 and the only places that had air conditioning was the library, computer rooms, and the home ec room because of the ovens.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
That's not what he was talking about on that thread.

If I recall it was about how some in the thread didn't seem to care what bad weather can do to some people.

I know what he was talking about. He was whining because guys like #s (and me, for that matter) celebrate snow ... while others DIE.

Stupid, and even more hysterical than closing school for heat.

Lol..usual routine..how about comment on the thread rather than your tired personal attack

How about making a thread of substance instead of the tired routine of whining about those rascally youngins who have nothing to do with you?

Nah ...will never happen, lolol

Reactions: NotInRHouse
ADVERTISEMENT