ADVERTISEMENT

Scott Vallone to Div-III St. Lawrence as DC

Mr_Twister

Heisman Winner
Apr 1, 2004
Today's FootballScoop (Thursday May 19, 2016) reports ...
"St. Lawrence (Div-III - NY): Per source, former Rutgers defensive line graduate assistant Scott Vallone has been hired as the new defensive coordinator at St. Lawrence."

I hope his defense plays press man coverage, if not, he will be looking for a new job in a few years.

...and he is on his way .

I hope in 15 -20 years he is walking the sidelines of his alma mater as the Head Coach after replacing the wildly successful career of Chris Ash

Congrats to Scott. He was a real good one. St Lawrence has a good D111 football program.

Not really. Its an academic school. They hang. Ithaca is a good football program up there.
Cortland is the best football program up there. Ithaca is very good also. I didn't say StL was the best. I said they are a good program, which they are. A school can be a good academic program & have good athletics as I am sure you are aware. For example, StL has had a quality hockey team for decades & their men's lacrosse is quite good as well.

Cortland is the best football program up there. Ithaca is very good also. I didn't say StL was the best. I said they are a good program, which they are. A school can be a good academic program & have good athletics as I am sure you are aware. For example, StL has had a quality hockey team for decades & their men's lacrosse is quite good as well.
I know St L well. Right, they were studs in hockey for awhile.

My good friend now, who was the QB for a rival HS, was a QB for Cortland for 3yrs in the last 90s. Real deal Div III football is legit. QBs had film session at 7am 4 days a week before class.

I went to the Cortaga Jub twice after I graduated and saw him play once. They'd put 10,000 easy in the stands for that game. You gotta love the interior of America.

Not really. Its an academic school. They hang. Ithaca is a good football program up there.

"up there" must be a very non-specific term. The distance between Ithaca and St. Lawrence is about the same as Rutgers to Washington DC. I've been to both campus many times. SL is a tiny university and campus, but they do have good hockey

Reactions: mikefla
Played baseball,football & soccer at Cortland. My freshman year,1960, our men's soccer team had 2 1st team All-Americans. There were no separate divisions. We played in the NCAA Tourney with Maryland, Connecticut, California, Brooklyn College, West Chester, Rutgers[11-0], & the Univ.of St Louis Billikens.
We lost to Connecticut 4-3. St Louis, arguably the greatest sports dynasty ever, won it all. Check out their records & NCAA championships.

In baseball we played DI Fordham, NYU, Cornell, Colgate, Syracuse, & I believe LIU, among others. We were one of the best overall Lax programs, again before NCAA divisions. Sent a truck load of alums to coach big time lax programs, including Princeton/Denver, Georgetown, Air Force, Towson, Bucknell, Yale, John's Hopkins, Hobart, Penn & the first program at ND. We wrestled Syracuse &, I believe, Cornell. Was almost entirely a Phys Ed school at that time.

The current Cortland baseball team is a power. Won the D3 championship last year after appearing in the final 4 for several years straight. Ranked No 1 this year & just won the regionals. The women's lacrosse team is the reigning D3 champions & is ranked No1 this year & is undefeated for the past 2 years. All other programs are also very strong, some very,very strong.

Last edited:
I am an upstate NYer. St Lawrence is a good academic school and very expensive. Sports has had some successes that are notable. Hockey is clearly the best sport......but theyve won D3 national championships in soccer/went undefeated in 1999.

The equestrian team is notable and were D3 National Champions in 1973, 1976, 1977 and National Champion runner-up in 2001 and 2008. and Regional Champion in 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009 and 2011.

Their biggest sports rivals are Clarkson and Hobart.

I dated a cheerleader from St Lawrence when I was at Cornell......LOTS of nice women there as I recall

Long-time NY Giants punter Dave Jennings played his college football at St. Lawrence. Later a radio analyst for both the Giants and Jets.

I am an upstate NYer. St Lawrence is a good academic school and very expensive. Sports has had some successes that are notable. Hockey is clearly the best sport......but theyve won D3 national championships in soccer/went undefeated in 1999.

The equestrian team is notable and were D3 National Champions in 1973, 1976, 1977 and National Champion runner-up in 2001 and 2008. and Regional Champion in 2001, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009 and 2011.

Their biggest sports rivals are Clarkson and Hobart.

I dated a cheerleader from St Lawrence when I was at Cornell......LOTS of nice women there as I recall

St. Lawrence is a very small liberal studies university for really rich students. It is 2+ hour drive north of Syracuse. In the small community of Canton/Potsdam, there are actual 4 different colleges, St. Lawrence, Clarkson, Potsdam State and Canton Tech, so lots of young people ... and lots of snow ! way more than in Syracuse

Reactions: mikefla
St. Lawrence is a very small liberal studies university for really rich students. It is 2+ hour drive north of Syracuse. In the small community of Canton/Potsdam, there are actual 4 different colleges, St. Lawrence, Clarkson, Potsdam State and Canton Tech, so lots of young people ... and lots of snow ! way more than in Syracuse
Elmira......you know its an upper crust school when the equestrian team is your strong suit LOL
I love the school......but the weather would give me nightmares,,,
I forget Elmira,,did you say you went to Cornell?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT