ADVERTISEMENT

Football Sean Ryan not satisfied after Week 1, looking for more

On the one pass during the final drive Gavin missed AC in the flat but if you watch the play it looked like Ryan was open on a streak up the same sideline.
Did anyone else notice that?

Saw that. Couldn't tell if it was slightly underthrown, or overthrown.
The deeper receiver was more open IIRC.

Reactions: Knight Shift
They mention Harris at the end of the article. Seems his issues are off the field related and the team supports him. Hope he gets it straightened out. Many posters in another thread are speculating it is a PT issue. Seems he is really having some personal issues.

I understand everyone loves playing 45 different QBs during the game but this is why it's concerning.
Neither player is getting full benefit of practice each week.
Can't expect either Simon or Wimsatt to fully develop when they are only practicing half the time.
Potentially 1/3 of the time if Vedral is put back into the rotation.
There is only so much they can accomplish in limited practice time.
As some point it's "sh@t or get off the pot" for HC Schiano/OC Gleeson and name a starting QB.

Every drive, Rutgers used a carousel of quarterbacks between Simon and Gavin Wimsatt as well. Ryan said the switching off in-game didn't have any effects on him or the receivers as the same thing takes place in practice.

“That’s the way we’ve been operating for a long time now so we’re used to it,” Ryan said. “We have a rhythm with both guys. We emphasize catching balls from both quarterbacks and getting equal reps in. When either one of them is in the game, we’re comfortable and we have that connection. It’s something we can handle and it’s not too difficult.”

I understand everyone loves playing 45 different QBs during the game but this is why it's concerning.
Can't expect either Simon or Wimsatt to fully develop when they are only practicing half the time.
As some point it's "sh@t or get off the pot" for HC Schiano/OC Gleeson and name a starting QB.

Every drive, Rutgers used a carousel of quarterbacks between Simon and Gavin Wimsatt as well. Ryan said the switching off in-game didn't have any effects on him or the receivers as the same thing takes place in practice.

“That’s the way we’ve been operating for a long time now so we’re used to it,” Ryan said. “We have a rhythm with both guys. We emphasize catching balls from both quarterbacks and getting equal reps in. When either one of them is in the game, we’re comfortable and we have that connection. It’s something we can handle and it’s not too difficult.”
I, and surely others, seriously hate the revolving door at QB, especially within the same set of downs. But what do I know?

And:
i am serious leslie nielsen GIF

I, and surely others, seriously hate the revolving door at QB, especially within the same set of downs. But what do I know?

And:
i am serious leslie nielsen GIF
Evan has been very accurate. Two of his incompletions were drop by Langan early and out of bounds bobble in the end zone. I believe the other two he was hit while throwing.
I love Wimsatt but he’ll benefit right now by having bunches of running plays with the occasional pass instead of expecting him to just drop back and pick teams apart with passes.

Evan has been very accurate. Two of his incompletions were drop by Langan early and out of bounds bobble in the end zone. I believe the other two he was hit while throwing.
I love Wimsatt but he’ll benefit right now by having bunches of running plays with the occasional pass instead of expecting him to just drop back and pick teams apart with passes.
Agreed.

Reactions: RUShea

I wonder how much of it is HC Schiano (similar to HC Harbaugh) trying to keep both QBs happy and not risk one or the other transferring when they are made the #2 QB.

With no transfer restrictions anymore, it's harder to keep a backup QB than ever before.
I think I saw a stat on Saturday that 40 FBS starting QBs were new transfers to their school?

Saw that. Couldn't tell if it was slightly underthrown, or overthrown.
The deeper receiver was more open IIRC.
The play was designed for AC and he was wide open. D has to respect the deep ball in that situation (unless it’s UCONN).

I wonder how much of it is HC Schiano (similar to HC Harbaugh) trying to keep both QBs happy and not risk one or the other transferring when they are made the #2 QB.

With no transfer restrictions anymore, it's harder to keep a backup QB than ever before.
I think I saw a stat on Saturday that 40 FBS starting QBs were new transfers to their school?
That could be part of it. you can also have the situation where both could want to transfer due to the indecision of the coaches to pick a starting QB (unlikely but possible).

I hope they use the next 2 games to figure out who will be the starter and move forward with that decision.

I think he is trying to force it too much and that will improve as the game slows down for him. Just needs more game time
We have to keep in mind that Gavin has thrown a grand total of 30 passes in his college career. Simon has thrown 40 passes. Neither QB has a TD pass, and each has an INT. Both will improve as they get more game time.

Reactions: beaced
AC was wide open. Ryan could’ve been open. That’s why Wimsatt threw it between them 😀.
yeah.. it looked like Wimsatt started toward one.. but his unconscious mind decided on the deeper route that was opening up.. and the ball ended up between them.

I really want us to throw as much as humanly possible vs Wagner and Temple. All Wimsatt and Simon.. save Vedral for maybe a couple series vs Temple if we plan to start him for Iowa or even just to knock the rust off a bit in case we need him vs Iowa.

Reactions: beaced

The revolving door approach rarely works for QBs. It didn't work for the OL last year.

I was rewatching the game. I'm not convinced Ryan didn't get a foot down on the end zone fade from Simon. Would have been nice to get a better angle on that. It was tough to tell in the angle they provided, but it was a little surprising they didn't at least take a closer look, since it was a scoring play.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT