ADVERTISEMENT

Season is Key to Recruiting

Rush4

Redshirt
Nov 27, 2015
Just being RU, in the B1G, a great University and a great Coaching Staff imo, helps in recruiting.

However, this upcoming season is also key to recruiting. RU has to show big improvement on the field in the way they compete.

If Ash gets alot of positive momentum going with the way this team is competing in games, alot of recruits will take notice. If this happens, there will be recruits who see a great future and flip to RU.

Reactions: kwamirp and satnom
Just being RU, in the B1G, a great University and a great Coaching Staff imo, helps in recruiting.

However, this upcoming season is also key to recruiting. RU has to show big improvement on the field in the way they compete.

If Ash gets alot of positive momentum going with the way this team is competing in games, alot of recruits will take notice. If this happens, there will be recruits who see a great future and flip to RU.
It's very possible marginal NJ recruits wanted to commit to RU and Ash didn't accept their commitment, banking on an improved team this season, keeping recruiting spots open. If he accepted commits from said marginal recruits and then turns around and wins 5+ games in 2017, he can't get higher recruits to flip without those open spots. It's going to be a small class, around 17 or 18 kids.

We have a small recruiting class this year - I've heard estimates ranging from 15-17. So we're not going to take just anyone from NJ - that ship has sailed. Ash is taking the approach that I would taken in the last few years: if the top NJ kids are going to use us as a fallback and look elsewhere, screw 'em, we'll look elsewhere too.

We have a small recruiting class this year - I've heard estimates ranging from 15-17. So we're not going to take just anyone from NJ - that ship has sailed. Ash is taking the approach that I would taken in the last few years: if the top NJ kids are going to use us as a fallback and look elsewhere, screw 'em, we'll look elsewhere too.
Exactly. Recruits from NJ don't realize it's a two way street.

Understand.
Frustrating however that we have Zero of the Top 20 NJ Recruits for next year. Meanwhile State Penn already has 2 of the Top 6 NJ Recruits for next year.
Small class withstanding, we still need to rebuild our relationships with NJ HS programs.

You better prepare for another 2-win season, and better prepare for a recruits _not_ flipping to Rutgers.

This is a lengthy process, and the amount of time it's taking us to raise $75 million for the Big Ten Build is an indicator of the pace at which fans, friends and alumni should expect success.

I like our long-term prospects, but I think it's at least another two years before this program sniffs a Pinstripe or Quick Lane Bowl.

You better prepare for another 2-win season, and better prepare for a recruits _not_ flipping to Rutgers.

This is a lengthy process, and the amount of time it's taking us to raise $75 million for the Big Ten Build is an indicator of the pace at which fans, friends and alumni should expect success.

I like our long-term prospects, but I think it's at least another two years before this program sniffs a Pinstripe or Quick Lane Bowl.
If we bomb on this class it will be a hell of alot longer for two years before we see a bowl.

Small class withstanding, we still need to rebuild our relationships with NJ HS programs.
Except we're damned if we do, damned if we don't. The HS coaches don't play us up to their top recruits, but get pissed at us when we don't jump all over their marginal recruits. Schiano experienced that, Flood experienced that, and now Ash is experiencing it.

Except we're damned if we do, damned if we don't. The HS coaches don't play us up to their top recruits, but get pissed at us when we don't jump all over their marginal recruits. Schiano experienced that, Flood experienced that, and now Ash is experiencing it.
Ash signed a lot of marginal NJ recruits last year at the end of the recruiting cycle for just that reason, to build relationships.

Improved play a must. I think the QB position is so key, we must improve in a big way. With lewis etc i think it will happen...... it must

I am favor of given scholarship to proven walk-ons in college than giving a scholarship to unproven HS player.

Perhaps that should be the way scholarships should be earned. It would end the nonsense in recruiting we go through every year.

Understand.
Frustrating however that we have Zero of the Top 20 NJ Recruits for next year. Meanwhile State Penn already has 2 of the Top 6 NJ Recruits for next year.
Rebuild our relationship with NJ HS programs? Most have treated Rutgers like garbage what has Rutgers done to them?

Understand.
Rebuild our relationship with NJ HS programs? Most have treated Rutgers like garbage what has Rutgers done to them?

Ash signed a lot of marginal NJ recruits last year at the end of the recruiting cycle for just that reason, to build relationships.
You may be right about that, but each year is a new one and HS coach quickly forget the favors. They want you to sign the next crop of marginal NJ recruits. When does the relationship building process pay off?

Understand.

There is nothing wrong with our relationships with NJ High School programs. The biggest problem is that the football program is perceived as shitty, thx to the 2 win season, which is killing our 2018 recruiting. So, The biggest thing we have to repair is our credibility, which is back to pre 2003 levels. During these times we would regularly lose kids to BC. It's not on high school coaches to push kids to Rutgers because they have a reputation to protect. It's not their fault that Rutgers won 2 games last year. Take off your Rutgers glasses and put yourself in their shoes, with the fiduciary responsility of looking out for the best situation for their kids. If you were to look at the situation objectively, Penn State, with a conference title, is the no brainer choice over Rutgers, as are Michigan and Ohio State. Their football product is head and shoulders better, right now.

So we have to do what we can to change that. The Garruti's and Towers have worked towards that in donating money for the new practice fields. The hiring of Kill and Erb will also go a long way towards restoring our credibility. What we as fans need to do is what we can to raise the remaining $25 Million of the $100 M fundraiser for Rutgers Athletics.

There is nothing wrong with our relationships with NJ High School programs. The biggest problem is that the football program is perceived as shitty, thx to the 2 win season, which is killing our 2018 recruiting. So, The biggest thing we have to repair is our credibility, which is back to pre 2003 levels. During these times we would regularly lose kids to BC. It's not on high school coaches to push kids to Rutgers because they have a reputation to protect. It's not their fault that Rutgers won 2 games last year. Take off your Rutgers glasses and put yourself in their shoes, with the fiduciary responsility of looking out for the best situation for their kids. If you were to look at the situation objectively, Penn State, with a conference title, is the no brainer choice over Rutgers, as are Michigan and Ohio State. Their football product is head and shoulders better, right now.

So we have to do what we can to change that. The Garruti's and Towers have worked towards that in donating money for the new practice fields. The hiring of Kill and Erb will also go a long way towards restoring our credibility. What we as fans need to do is what we can to raise the remaining $25 Million of the $100 M fundraiser for Rutgers Athletics.
This whole two win season excuse bothers me. If Ash needs to win games in order to show he runs a good program then he has a problem selling a vision to people, i.e. he is not a good recruiter.

Reactions: Scarlet4ever
This whole two win season excuse bothers me. If Ash needs to win games in order to show he runs a good program then he has a problem selling a vision to people, i.e. he is not a good recruiter.
What's that vision? "By the time you graduate we may be up to 6 wins because this is a huge rebuild"

2 wins season is a painful reality, not an excuse

Reactions: 17Q66
Improved play and a few more wins will be a great help. NJ recruits need to see a program "on the rise" in order to buy in.

The recruit locally paradigm has not worked for multiple generations. That ship has sailed. Long-term doormat status for hoops and football compounds the problem. Recruiting outside NJ will be futile without a coach of stature at the helm.

Two wins isn't an excuse, it's a fact. Until we change that fact, it's going to be tough to recruit the best Jersey kids especially when they have better choices.

Ash is not as good a recruiter as Schianos. But he is going to prove to be the better coach, imo. But he's gotta get more Horses. We have to win more and show progress. Then we can argue that he's improving the program. Going from 4 wins to 2 shows were on a downward trajectory and recruits don't want any part of that, and who could blame them?

This is what these NJ recruits and HS coaches are missing - these new breed of RU coaches are seasoned and well connected all over the country. Under Flood and maybe Schiano, NJ HS coaches almost had the "you need us more than we need you" attitude. And perhaps to some extent they may have been right. Not with Ash. Initially, Ash did his best to give ships to marginal kids for the purpose of building relationships. But then they turn around and stab him. Ok, so we go after kids nationwide then.

It's easy to kick a dog when it's down. Following a 2 win season, it's easy to spot the posers and fakers. However, when things change (and it will) on the "wins" department, we will remember the schools friendly to Rutgers and those that were not.

NJ HS coaches don't understand, now that we've laid the seeds at schools nationwide, when the wins starts coming, all of a sudden we become a player for that 4 star from Georgia or maybe Jalen Chatman's 4 star Narbonne team mate, etc etc. Rutgers won't be the fall back school that it once was.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chanticleer108
RU has to show significant improvement this year in order to turn around recruiting. Significant could mean going .500(or better), or being very competitive against the big boys. Right now no one has a clue if Ash can coach as there is no head coaching track record for him other than last year's debacle. He has to prove that he knows what he is doing and if he does that the recruits will come. It is somewhat of a catch 22 in terms of you can't win without good players, but good players will not come until you prove you can win.

Schiano had good out of state relationships with coaches in a talent rich area that he could leverage while bringing the NJ coaches around. Selling NJ/NYC to kids from out of state seemed to work pretty well.

The current staff has some ties but it seems kind of scattered geographically. It would be nice to see a targeted effort in an area that has a lot of recruits (think FL, TX, or CA). I am also not convinced that "the hunt" plays to our strengths. Certainly, there is some hunting in NJ and it will appeal to a few guys, but the reason we got the conference invite is not because hunting is good in Hunterdon county. We got the invite because of all the eyeballs that watched the Empire State Building lit up in scarlet before big games. Appealing to kids impressed by NYC may be an easier sell.

Reactions: Chanticleer108
Two wins isn't an excuse, it's a fact. Until we change that fact, it's going to be tough to recruit the best Jersey kids especially when they have better choices.

Ash is not as good a recruiter as Schianos. But he is going to prove to be the better coach, imo. But he's gotta get more Horses. We have to win more and show progress. Then we can argue that he's improving the program. Going from 4 wins to 2 shows were on a downward trajectory and recruits don't want any part of that, and who could blame them?
It's not just wins and losses. It's also momentum and signs of progress. At BC, Tom Coughlin inherited a 2 win team and went 4-7 in his first year. But there was a noticeable change in attitude and style of play. He immediately changed the culture. Only 4 wins in year one, but team played a great game against #1 Miami and almost pulled the upset to end the season. There was momentum going into year 2. Ash didn't create any positive vibe/momentum in year 1. Maybe he will in year 2. Wins will help, but being competitive is essential

Being more competitive against the top teams and beating teams that are beatable will help, but there are a thousand factors. Sometimes, you just need kids that want to stay home. I actually like that we are getting California players. I think kids from there will recognize the NYC benefit more than kids from other places. It is also getting players that fit more into the Big 10 style of play. About half the NJ NFL prospects are not big recruits, you got to stay on top of them. Especially the kids that don't qualify out of high school, stay on top of those.

Being more competitive against the top teams and beating teams that are beatable will help, but there are a thousand factors. Sometimes, you just need kids that want to stay home. I actually like that we are getting California players. I think kids from there will recognize the NYC benefit more than kids from other places. It is also getting players that fit more into the Big 10 style of play. About half the NJ NFL prospects are not big recruits, you got to stay on top of them. Especially the kids that don't qualify out of high school, stay on top of those.
What is the NYC benefit for a recruit? I'm curious how a Rutgers fan would articulate the benefits. Has any RU recruit benefited from the proximity to NYC?

Reactions: RUaMoose
What is the NYC benefit for a recruit? I'm curious how a Rutgers fan would articulate the benefits. Has any RU recruit benefited from the proximity to NYC?

yes, many former recruits who later became players work in NYC. I meet a few for lunch once in a while.

yes, many former recruits who later became players work in NYC. I meet a few for lunch once in a while.
Ok. Can't say I'm giving RU much of an advantage there. Every major university has alumni working in NYC. Can't imagine that the getting a job in NYC is an angle for RU over PSU/Michigan/BC among others. Just not a factor. I was thinking more about a recruit who got exposure from proximity to NYC while playing at RU. Don't think it exists.

The schedule this year as just as hard as it was last year. So expect some improvements but asking for miracles is a bit much.
If the team is even competitive or shows a spark, Ash could see a bump. But there isn't much to sell a recruit right now.

I am also not convinced that "the hunt" plays to our strengths. Certainly, there is some hunting in NJ and it will appeal to a few guys, but the reason we got the conference invite is not because hunting is good in Hunterdon county.
Wait a minute........... I thought we were selling our proximity to the Far Hills Horse Race, aka, The Hunt.

TheHunt2017_zps23sjcju3.jpg

If this is about hunting in NJ, we've got a big, big problem!

230798-1394502351-wide.jpg

cropped-woman-with-penis-sign1.jpg

101516-bears-cp-01-jpg.jpg

Ok. Can't say I'm giving RU much of an advantage there. Every major university has alumni working in NYC. Can't imagine that the getting a job in NYC is an angle for RU over PSU/Michigan/BC among others. Just not a factor. I was thinking more about a recruit who got exposure from proximity to NYC while playing at RU. Don't think it exists.

The advantage is we have more alumni in NYC working there than any other Power 5 Football School.

Reactions: satnom
Ash went all in on year one of "Fence the Garden" and that approach needs to still be taken.Staff has to unlock NJ,its all about relationships with Jersey Head Coaches and kids.Yes winning allways helps,but many other power five coaches sucessfully recruited in down years .Franklin did it at Vandy,MSU is doing it this year under criminal investigation,UNC still recruits well.Minnesota changed head coaches and have like 15 recruits,.Banking on Cali or Florida kids as the main stays of a class, is a huge risk as recruits from these states both historicaly flip later in recruiting cycle. Getting into the New Jersey,north, power six is still the answer to unlocking the state,its not allways the best recruits but they have set the tone for other in state kids staying home.
The Nick Dinucci verbal to BC this weekend was a prime example what needs to be fixed for in state recruiting by ASH and staff,either by addition or subtraction.This was another in state kid RU led for ,for a good period of time.
"BC is an unbelievable school with huge connections in the New York city area and Boston area. The school also felt very similar to my catholic school back at home. The coaching staff also really liked me as a player and a person. At the end of the day recruiting is a business and I did not feel any of that at BC!"

Last edited:
Rutgers needs to win at least 5 games to impact recruiting in a favorable light which means 3 wins against league opponents and 2 out of conference wins.Anything less probably means Rutgers will once again be ranked last in the B1G.

Reactions: seels2662
Ash went all in on year one of "Fence the Garden" and that approach needs to still be taken.Staff has to unlock NJ,its all about relationships with Jersey Head Coaches and kids.Yes winning allways helps,but many other power five coaches sucessfully recruited in down years .Franklin did it at Vandy,MSU is doing it this year under criminal investigation,UNC still recruits well.Minnesota changed head coaches and have like 15 recruits,.Banking on Cali or Florida kids as the main stays of a class, is a huge risk as recruits from these states both historicaly flip later in recruiting cycle. Getting into the New Jersey,north, power six is still the answer to unlocking the state,its not allways the best recruits but they have set the tone for other in state kids staying home.
The Nick Dinucci verbal to BC this weekend was a prime example what needs to be fixed for in state recruiting by ASH and staff,either by addition or subtraction.This was another in state kid RU led for ,for a good period of time.
"BC is an unbelievable school with huge connections in the New York city area and Boston area. The school also felt very similar to my catholic school back at home. The coaching staff also really liked me as a player and a person. At the end of the day recruiting is a business and I did not feel any of that at BC!"
Fence the Garden ... that ship has sailed. Has not worked in decades and generations. We have years of evidence. Top talent leaves in droves. Coach Brecht has put together a dynamite lacrosse program with players from all over the map. Coach Ash needs to follow suit. Get over it -- top level local athletes will not embrace Rutgers. They have too many options. Too much negativity from family and friends to overcome. Only sustained winning and some shining moments on big stages in front of national audiences can undo the mess Rutgers is in, recruiting-wise.

We have been over this ad nauseum. Catholic kids want Notre Dame and BC. RU does not feel very similar to a Catholic School. Get over it. Nothing to see here.

Rutgers needs to win at least 5 games to impact recruiting in a favorable light which means 3 wins against league opponents and 2 out of conference wins.Anything less probably means Rutgers will once again be ranked last in the B1G.
EXACTLY. And the odds of getting 5 wins are not good. So what now?

Reactions: zazoo2002
How come when every other team is 2-10, it's a down year, but for us it's a rebuild to 2003 levels?

2-10 doesn't help, but there are lots of things to entice recruits here off a bad year. Playing time, offense is gonna be fixed with Kill at OC, defense ranked 60s even with that ridiculous hurry up O we ran last year. Good facilities (brand new practice facilities) they will practice on their full career here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT